Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheltenham - Day 2 - Wednesday

Options

Comments

Anyway for tomorrow ............ ... grand crus ..................
    Any opinions or other tips?

That's the only one I'd be tempted to back tomorrow :)
    I reckon Grand Crus will be a brilliant chaser over the coming years, starting tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭MoscowFlyer

Excited to see one of my favourite horses tomorrow in Grand Crus. Such a special little animal.

My big fancy tomorrow is in the last. Moscow Mannon.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I will kill you if it doesn't come in :D
    Nothing to what I'll do to my insider!!Ruby has been quoted as saying Kauto Stone won't win but may come second, hard to know what to do.

Still recovering from the loss of Garde Champetre and Scots Irish, two good horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 14
    Race 1 - 1:30 Teaforthree and Lively Baron
    Race 2 - 2:05 Simonsig
    Race 3 - 2:40 Grands Crus

Race 5 - 4:00 Balgarry but I do like two of the other Pipe horses Poole master and Star of angels (55 on BF) aswell as Third intention (32 on BF)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

1.30 4 Commanders
    2.05 Nelsons Bridge (ew)
    2.40 First Lieutenant
    3.20 Kauto stone
    4.00 Son of Flica (ew)
    4.40 blue Cannon (ew)
    5.15 Sir Johnston

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 The Mollusc

My bets, all each way.

1:30 - Teaforthree
    2:05 - Sous Les Cieux
    2:40 - First Lieutenant
    3:20 - Kauto Stone
    4:00 - Carlito Brigante/Abergavenny. Haven't decided yet...
    5:15 - Pique Sous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

2:05 - Monksland
    2:40 - First Lieutenant
    3:20 - SE
    4:00 - Cape Dutch
    4.40 - Gorgeous Sixty / Kazlian
    5:15 - Village Vic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

13:30 Harry The Viking 6/1 and Alee Garde 13/2
    14:05 SIMONSIG 5/2 and Monksland 11/2
    14:40 Join Together 11/2 and Bobs Worth 7/2
    15:20 Sizing Europe 10/11 and Finians Rainbow 4/1
    16:00 Balgarry 7/1
    16:40 Kazlian 15/2
    17:15 Moscow Mannon 6/1

Couldnt make up my mind on a few. LOL Hard to pick em today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

1:30 - Alfie Spinner
    2:05 - Cotton Mill
    2:40 - Join Together
    3:20 - SE
    4:00 - Abergavenny
    4.40 - Ardlui
    5:15 - Village Vic

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

2:05 - Simonsig/Make Your Mark e/w
    2:40 - First Lieutenant/Join Together e/w
    3:20 - Sizing Europe/Kauto Stone e/w
    4:00 - Saphir River e/w
    4.40 - Vendor/Edeymi/Kapga De Gerisey
    5:15 - New Years Eve/Clonbanan Lad/Moscow Mannon

Nothing backed yet, Hurricane killed two big bets I had so playing it much safer today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭rossom

Here's my selections for the day

MONKSLAND 11/2

I'm quite sweet on the chances of Noel Meade's 5 year old who has won on his 3 starts to date. On his 3rd and final start, Monksland fulfilled the promise connections knew he possessed when a very impressive winner on heavy ground when scooting clear of the field at ease in a Grade 2. The form of that race looks very strong with the 2nd Lyreen Legend winning a Grade 2 himself impressively in the interim period and I think this horse may be a little bit special. His trainer Noel Meade says he is certain to improve for the better ground and although current favourite Simonsig will be hard to beat, I'm confident Monksland can land this race under the guidance of Paul Carberry.

GRAND CRUS 11/8

Pretty surprised to see Grand Crus available at such a big price and with connections seriously considering entering this novice chaser into the Gold Cup until the last minute. David Pipe's 7 year old is unbeaten over fences in 3 starts, beating the 2nd favourite in this race Bobs Worth a shade cosily on his final start (although that rival has had a wind operation subsequently which should see him improve). He came 2nd to the amazing Big Bucks twice over hurdles last year and I'll be pretty surprised if he isn't good enough to win this.

SIZING EUROPE 10/11

All about the defending champion Sizing Europe for me here. Henry De Bromhead's 10 year old was an impressive winner of this race last year and seems to have improve again by slamming his opponents in the Tingle Creek back in December before easily beating what many believe to be his main rival Big Zeb at Punchestown last month. Although Big Zeb's connections believe the ground was too soft that day and Colm Murphy is fantastic at getting his horses ready for big races, I can't see the winner of this race in 2010 bettering his 2nd to Sizing Europe in this race last year. I'm not a fan of Finnian's Rainbow at all and I'll be very surprised if Sizing Europe isn't victorious for the 2nd consecutive year.

SON OF FLICKA NAP 40/1 & CARLITO BRIGANTE 16/1

SON OF FLICKA (NAP) is either going to go very close to winning or finish absolutely nowhere but I think that this could be a classic plot by Donald McCain. This 8 year old has been in absolutely terrible form this year but as a result he has become very well handicapped. 12 months ago Son of Flicka was seen finishing a narrowly beaten 2nd in the Martin Pipe Conditionals Handicap Hurdle at the Cheltenham Festival off a 5lb higher mark when being beaten by the excellent Sir Des Champs. Sir Des Champs has since become an excellent chaser, winning his only 3 starts in that sphere to date which have included to Grade 2s. This, and previous efforts behind Russian War and Quartz De Thaix demonstrate that on his day he is a very talented horse and there was no fluke about his 2nd last year. I have a strong feeling that connections have had this race in their mind for quite a while and have tried to get his handicap mark down to a level that he looks thrown in on and it seems they have done that. With trainer Donald McCain in great form, with stable jockey Jason Maguire on for the first time since May 2010, with a record at Cheltenham of finishing beaten less than 1.5L on his 2 starts and with money coming I really think that he could be thrown in off his current mark and 40/1 could be made ridiculous at the end of the race tomorrow.

Another tough race with a massive 28 runners going to post. Not a race for big bets as there could easily be a horse in this race who is much better than his form figures. The second horse I'm siding with is CARLITO BRIGANTE, the winner of this race 12 months ago. This Gordon Elliot trained 6 year old was a very, very impressive winner of this race last year and despite having to carry a stone more in racing weight tomorrow under the welter burden of top weight, I am confident he is good enough to cope with this rise. In the 2 months after the festival last year Carlito Brigante demonstrated how classy an animal he truly is when posting an excellent 4th behind Big Bucks and Grand Crus at Aintree before bettering that result at the Punchestown Festival when finishing 3rd behind the extremely talented Quevega and Mourad and beating Voler La Vedette, who has won 2 Grade 2s and a Grade 1 subsequently. Although very poor in his only subsequent hurdles race back in October, I'm willing to overlook that latest effort. With a recent spin on the flat to get him race fit (ran very encouragingly), I'm confident he's been able to improve enough since last year now that he is a 6 year old and with Elliott's ability to get them ready for Cheltenham plus Carlito Brigante's affinity for the course he looks a very good e/w price.

ULCK DU LIN 12/1

Ulck Du Lin is a French recruit for the excellent Paul Nicholls stable who will be making his debut for this yard at the festival. With a handicap mark of 130 achieved in France, I'm convinced Nicholls has yet to run him in England to protect his mark specifically for this race and with the natural improvement he gets from similar recruits I think that a mark of 130 should be well within his capabilities and fancy him to go very close. Although Ruby Walsh has chosen Willie Mullins' Gorgeous Sixty Instead, Daryl Jacob is a more than capable jockey and Ruby may have decided to go with a horse who has form in the book.

COOL GEORGE 28/1

I have already backed the two horses battling for favouritism in this race in the shape of MOSCOW MANNON and NEW YEARS EVE at 16/1 and 25/1 respectively and although I think they will both take all the beating, I think the value in both horses no longer remains. One at a bigger price is unfancied trainer Miss Jackie Du Plessis' Cool George who was successful on his only start to date back in January. That day, Cool George never broke sweat as he came home a very facile winner by 9L and the form of that race looks pretty strong. The 2nd Umdachar won on his next start before coming a narrowly beaten 2nd in a Listed bumper at the weekend. Considering how easy a winner he was that day and with natural improvement, its really difficult to say how good this horse really is but if he was with one of the top trainers I think he's be at least half the price in the betting. This is a very open race but I couldn't help but be very impressed with him on his debut and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he goes very close to winning this at a big price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Each way singles on Monksland and Carlito Brigante for me. Had to back Carlito, I f*cking love that film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

got an insider tip for Finians.

I'm always wary of such tips around prestigious race meetings.

Every stable sending a horse to a race like the Queen Mother Chase does so in the expectation that it has an excellent chance of winning. And as such, connections to a particular horse are likely to be more confident about its chances. Ask enough people around the 8 yards represented in this years race and you'll end up with a reason why every horse should win.

I'd be more inclined to listen to such a tip from an insider connected to a horse in the run up to a midweek or Grade 2 race in Navan or Newcastle where expectations may not be so high outside the stable yard. Even when the owners & trainers talk down any chance their horse may have. (But thats what all owners & trainers ever do anyway).

There is a tip for every horse at Cheltenham. Just read all these forums !

Now, after saying all that, I am actually tempted to have a little shilling on the Rainbow to win it. I think Sizing Europe can be beaten and I'd give Geraghty every chance of doing it.

But for me, the value in this race lies in Kauto Stone for a place finish and if I can get him at around 16s in the morning I'll take it.

Best of luck, and I hope Finian's Rainbow comes home first for you. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Sizing Europe is gone evens....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 337 ✭✭Sacred_git

woeful day yesterday.....the ironic part being my free 5 euro (e/w double) bet in ladbrokes(well free fiver bet) had me going into the last race with a 75 e/w bet on a 50/1 shot - alas it din't come off but we shall try again!!

my bets:

Call The Police e/w Single 20/1

Simonsig, Vendor 50.00 e/w Double

Kauto Stoneee e/w Single16/1

Megastar e/w Single 16/1

and my outside €5 e/w ladbrokes paper bet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Plenty of 6/4 Grand Crus. 2.38 on Betfair

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Drummerboy2

SON OF FLICKA NAP 40/1

Now 25/1 with Paddy Power

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

SON OF FLICKA NAP 40/1

Now 25/1 with Paddy Power

22/1 now , I stuck a small wager on horse based on Rossom's comments earlier , but reading his form over the last few races it is hard to see him in contention here , but lets see !

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

John Duggan's tips for today for anyone interested ;

5.15 - €75 each way Royal Guardsman at 8/1

3.20 - €100 win Sizing Europe at EVS

2.40 - €50 each way Walkon at 33/1

1.30 - €25 each way Universal Soldier at 14/1

4.00 - €25 each way Poole Master at 14/1

4.40 - €25 each way Royal Bonsai at 20/1

John Duggans tips on Today FM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

Tough day today... I can find valid reasons why Grand Crus and Sizing Europe won't win but then again there are just as many reasons as to why they will!

These are my picks anyway, I’m not overly happy with them all (haven’t picked any favs) so will probably wait until late on to decide what to do, possible Lucky 15 is in bold:

1.30 Teaforthree

2.05 Battonier
    Cotton Mill (this is trained by one of Goldophins cheif men who took this horse from them to go jumping with I backed it last time out)

2.40 Bobs Worth
    Cannington Brook (40/1 shot each way)

3.20 €1 Combined Tricast
    Sizing/Finian Rainbow/Big Zeb
    I reckon Finian will win

4.00 Megastar
    Knight Pass
    Silverhand
    *depending on how I’m doing – small e/w bets on these

4.40 Edeymi
    Kapga De Cerisy
    Son of Flika
    *again will make a call depending on how I’m doing

5.15 Many Clouds
    Jezki
    *fancy both of these so will prob have a fiver on each

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭GaughMan

Got a tip for Chill in the Fred Winter @ 25/1. Good e/w bet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

My picks for today, not even a place yesterday so things can only get better.

Lucky 63:
    Teaforthree 6/1
    Sous Les Cieux 6/1
    First Lieutenant 5/1
    Finians Rainbow 5/1
    Carlito Brigante 16/1
    New Years Eve 6/1

Win (free bet from yesterday):
    Harry the Viking 13/2

Treble ew:
    Bobs Worth 4/1
    Realt Dubh 20/1
    Megastar 18/1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭newuser89

I was going to back battonier
    Now he's out I've looked at his stablemate who beat him by 5 lengths last time
    He was receiving 5 pounds off battonier that day and today he receives 9 pounds from the field
    @ 33/1 it's gd e/w value

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭razor425

newuser89 wrote: »
    I was going to back battonier
    Now he's out I've looked at his stablemate who beat him by 5 lengths last time
    He was receiving 5 pounds off battonier that day and today he receives 9 pounds from the field
    @ 33/1 it's gd e/w value

Totally agree stuck a small bit e/w on last night at 50/1. Bennificent e/w might be worth a small bet also.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

won a nice bit on Sprinter scare yesterday ,
    so today I got
    Vendor at 9/2

Balgarry 7/1

and going with an e/w on "get me out of here"

• Registered Users Posts: 85,868 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Simonsig, Sizing Europe, Kauto Stone and Megastar are my backs for today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Think Wishful Thinking may well run a big race in the Champion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Some of us are ladies:D
    Byhookor orbycrook.Umh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Day 2 selections.

1:30pm - Teaforthree EW
    2:05pm - Monksland
    2:40pm - Grand Crus
    3:20pm - Fininan's Rainbow EW. Also have Kauto Stone as an EW.
    4:00pm - Get Me Out Of Here
    4:40pm - Kazlian EW
    5:15pm - Moscow Mannan

Have a double of Grand Crus and Sizing Europe on the side. Tempted to back Megastar EW and Vendor also.

Advertisement