Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko 8820 Combo Receiver

Options
  • 24-02-2012 3:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Was thinking about getting one of these Amiko 8820 Combo Receiver (€125 most places) instead of the the Ariva 120 (due to the EPG issues that they seem to be unable to fix) and was wondering if anyone has anyone experience with them?

scaled.php?server=88&filename=amikopic22.png&res=medium

Is the EPG good and reliable?
    Is the much delay when changing channel?
    Are firmware upgrades easily preformed?

Cheers ..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Was thinking about getting one of these Amiko 8820 Combo Receiver (€125 most places) instead of the the Ariva 120 (due to the EPG issues that they seem to be unable to fix) and was wondering if anyone has anyone experience with them?

scaled.php?server=88&filename=amikopic22.png&res=medium

Is the EPG good and reliable? Now and next for satellite, works fine.
    Is the much delay when changing channel? No, it is very fast. + It has a nice 'clicky' button for changing the channels so you can feel when you've pressed it properly.
    Are firmware upgrades easily preformed? Same as the A120, by USB. But not really required as it has a decent software to begin with.

Cheers ..

Overall its a great box and would recommend it to anyone, the ariva, not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

shblob wrote: »
    Overall its a great box and would recommend it to anyone, the ariva, not so much.

What's the EPG like?

Is it reliable?

Is there a 'series link' feature?

There is almost no reviews of this box online, which is why I am reluctant to buy one also.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's generic and certified for nothing anywhere. Maybe the Conax is certified (no use for Freesat or Saorsat).

There will be 3 new combi boxes soon I think.

Freesat is sending "Series link" but Saorview isn't yet. But it's not a real PVR anyway.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm near sure those Amiko receivers are same/similar as the Edision Argus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I have one of these, it's what I'm using myself as it's the best of what's available at the moment. It's a very good box, I was using their SHD 7900 FTA HD box before this (TV does Saorview) and was pretty happy with it also but found it annoying to be changing from TV to FTA box.. They are very fast, have a nice snappy firmware with a well laid out GUI. The only flaw I can see is that they have no epg at all for Saorview, they don't even show what's on now. Sat now and next epg is fine.

If you need a channel list let me know, I have a decent one sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

@ Byte - Ali M3606 chip Byte. Used in the Ferguson 202s.

Amiko are based in Hungary which from memory is also home to Opticum (remember the alligator combos ?). Globo/Yumatu/Truman/Orton all clone names.

Doesnt matter what chip it has however. The support for the box must be there - otherwise you might as well end up trying to learn how to disassemble, edit and reassemble your own. Most of the software out there isn't open source (though it should be as many box brands are violating the very open source software they are using!). Therefore, the end user is reliant on the particular OEM/Brnd name being bothered to fix the issue - the software shipped with Ali boxes has to be fixed for Irish epg on combo boxes - it had to be done for the edisions, it had to be for the fergusons. Has it been done for the Amikos ?

To the OP, The Ferguson 120s do not have any problem with epg. Do not believe everything you read from the Denis the Menaces of this world (some people have alternative motives for pushing one product over another). The Fergusons are not only well supported in the UK and Europe, they are supported for Irish issues through some of the box suppliers and the countless users here on boards.

These Ariva's are nice and cheap around the €90/100 mark. They do what they are meant to do. They are at least €40 cheaper than an Amiko 8820 which I dont think is justified. Ali chips are cost effective end and affordable end of the spectrum. They dont need to be priced over €110.

As you get towards €200 you can get so much better value for your buck (New Gigablue 800s look nice - linux based - crossepg etc).

The good gear - I have seen the new range of combo boxes that are coming out, and they are streets ahead with multi-boot options on a box! Many are based upon ST chips - 7111's and the 7162's. Triax are using the 7111s chips on their Saorview boxes.

Also Fulan are writing good software (spark) and are allowing multiboot functions on some its new boxes - they are an OEM, so the release names will vary!

Look out for these new Combo boxes (they are not commercially available yet - especially under these names - many are ODM/OEM).

IClass HD9990 PVR 320g (linux OSs E2)
    Skyworth HTS12
    Sowell NXP8735 (first CI+ box USB box Wifi Youtube etc)
    Jiuzhou Combo PVR DTS6695

Also Turbotsat in the UK have a new DVB-T2/DVB-S2 box coming out fairly soon under its Icecrypt brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

I thought this thread was about the Amiko 8820. :)

Bye the way, if you must go off topic, the Arriva is a fantastic box, for the price. I'd recommend it to anyone,and regularly do.

The latest update for this box that came out yesterday adds now and next for Saorview, was blank before

http://amikostb.com/?q=product&id=83

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    The latest update for this box that came out yesterday adds now and next for Saorview, was blank before

http://amikostb.com/?q=product&id=83

Your not serious. You mean people have had the balls to come on here continuously recommending a product that dont even have EPG data for Saorview.

So now it has now and next. Are they doing the firmware in installments ? No 7 day yet ? What about extended EIT data - is there any programme information for the Saorview channels ?

The Ariva 120 €80-100 depending on where you look does not have these issues, displays the full 7 day epg and extended priogramme information.

like I said, support is everything and there is safety in numbers.

STB wrote: »
    Your not serious. You mean people have had the balls to come on here continuously recommending a product that dont even have EPG data for Saorview.

So now it has now and next. Are they doing the firmware in installments ? No 7 day yet ? What about extended EIT data - is there any programme information for the Saorview channels ?

The Ariva 120 €80-100 depending on where you look does not have these issues, displays the full 7 day epg and extended priogramme information.

like I said, support is everything and there is safety in numbers.

Not sure what you mean about continuously recommending, :confused:
    I think you're confusing me with another poster and using this thread to bash them. A post was made in the Ariva thread asking them to make a new Amiko thread. I just posted my opinions here. I've never posted in that Ariva thread BTW.

The Ariva is not without it's own issues. I've been following the thread. Many have had problems, it's got a few updates and is doing better now. It's early days for this box. My own experience of the Ariva when playing around with a friends one is it's a lot slower than this Amiko and the GUI isn't as nice. Personally I didn't like it. As unofficial combo boxes go, this particular Amiko is pretty good. Just my opinion, having used both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

Not sure what you mean about continuously recommending, :confused:
    I think you're confusing me with another poster and using this thread to bash them. A post was made in the Ariva thread asking them to make a new Amiko thread. I just posted my opinions here. I've never posted in that Ariva thread BTW.

The Ariva is not without it's own issues. I've been following the thread. Many have had problems, it's got a few updates and is doing better now. It's early days for this box. My own experience of the Ariva when playing around with a friends one is it's a lot slower than this Amiko and the GUI isn't as nice. Personally I didn't like it. As unofficial combo boxes go, this particular Amiko is pretty good. Just my opinion, having used both.
    I have full 7 day EPG on my box? And youtube
    Try using F.W from here:
    http://sat-support.org/?a=downloads&dir=75

I have full 7 day EPG on my box? And youtube
    Try using F.W from here:
    http://sat-support.org/?a=downloads&dir=75

7 day epg with program info all working perfect now, Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mikelan

Just got an amiko 8820 combo box recently. Was about to send it back as the subtitles seemed to be impossible to turn off. You'd change channels and then go back and the subtitles are back on again. For anyone who hasn't found it there's a menu setting which changes the default preference for "auto subtitles" to off. Why it's on by default is anyones guess.

Firmware seems to be getting updated fairly frequently. Not always a good sign but I'm happy with the box so far regardless.
    Only problem now is I've realised how crap the irish channels are as I never bothered tuning in to them before as the picture was always bad in my area.

Not sure what you mean about continuously recommending, confused.gif

7 day epg with program info all working perfect now, Thank you.

Good to see that issue sorted.

I wasn't directing anything at you.

The point I was making is that certain people were pushing these boxes. And my main point is that the issue with a lot of boxes coming out of Eastern Europe is support and specifically support in English. You end up buying a box and then find its geared towards a different market with no Irish or UK support.

Chap I know had an excellent source for the Opibox Alligators which are another similar Combo box from Hungary (you might have noticed that file patch repository you were in also hosted patched Optibox firmware). Think they were worked out at €125 at the time (at a time when combos where €200) and they had wifi aerials with them. But he couldn't get support for them as no one could work out the Linux OS as it was closed. It was a pity as it was an opportunity to port 7 day epg plugins for sat cheaply on a combo.

Lack of an official fix should ring alarm bells though.

At least on this occasion there was "underground" support for these boxes.

has anyone had problems with the PVR on this box ?

if live tv is paused for a while and then resumed it jumps practically to the end and the entire recording that was buffered is lost. Aaaargh.......

It's going back if this is not fixed. I've mailed amiko but no response from them yet.

What are you recording to?

recording to a USB flash drive. 8GB.
    No problems with the speed test.

mikelan wrote: »
    recording to a USB flash drive. 8GB.
    No problems with the speed test.

You really need a powered drive, not one powered from usb. This is true for any of the usb pvr boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Is there a combo box out there that has Free-sat and Saorview and record on to an internal hardrive? If not will there be one out soon.

200motels wrote: »
    Is there a combo box out there that has Free-sat and Saorview and record on to an internal hardrive? If not will there be one out soon.

No, there's not likely to be either, you realise Freesat is a joint venture between BBC and ITV?
    http://www.freesat.co.uk/

You may see Combo boxes with internal doing terrestrial (not official so unsupported) and Free to Air, but they will never do 7 day EPG or series link.

• Advertisement

You really need a powered drive, not one powered from usb. This is true for any of the usb pvr boxes.

mmm, I wouldnt agree with that one. I have a technomate 5400 which records fine to usb flash. Also if a hard drive is spinning 24hrs a day it's not going to last long. Flash is the only option for recording really. Thanks for the reply though

mmm, I wouldnt agree with that one. I have a technomate 5400 which records fine to usb flash. Also if a hard drive is spinning 24hrs a day it's not going to last long. Flash is the only option for recording really. Thanks for the reply though

It's not just the speed, it's the fact that it's powered over usb. Take a look at the Ferguson Ariva thread, lots of folks in there had problems with recording to usb and the conclusion that a decent self powered usb drive is needed. Flash also have limited writes, some around 1000 times, mechanical drives are many times that.

It's not just the speed, it's the fact that it's powered over usb. Take a look at the Ferguson Ariva thread, lots of folks in there had problems with recording to usb and the conclusion that a decent self powered usb drive is needed. Flash also have limited writes, some around 1000 times, mechanical drives are many times that.

I hadn't tried that so I plugged in a 3.5" external drive that was powered on its own. It had a much better speed rate so I was hopeful but same story. Playback worked for 20secs or so then jumped 30 mins. I had over an hour buffered. Pity. Its a nice box otherwise. But its got to go. I mailed amiko over a week ago but no answer. Wonder if theyre checking it out and releasing a fix our just ignoring mails. Id keep it if I knew it was fixable.

Are you on the latest firmware Mike?

Are you on the latest firmware Mike?

v1.4.09. I updated it the day I got it.
    Theres been v1.4.42 put up last week but according to the included readme:

This software includes the following modifications:
    - Fixed Video/Audio dual descrambling bug

it's all boxed up now and don't fancy opening and setting up just to check that out . If you have the same box can you check if its just my box or a general problem ?

thanks

sent it back yesterday. Any suggestions for a replacement ?

I have an Ariva 120. I use a USB3 non powered drive. I have had no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

just bought an amiko sthd 8820 - it has a nice gui layout and am generally pleased with it - recordings / picture quality / media playback etc

do any of you know where i could download a channel list / software to edit channels and upload my own custom channel list ?

dmm1000 wrote: »
    just bought an amiko sthd 8820 - it has a nice gui layout and am generally pleased with it - recordings / picture quality / media playback etc

do any of you know where i could download a channel list / software to edit channels and upload my own custom channel list ?

Try my list, you'll have to rescan terrestrial and move them to the beginning. Get yourself on the latest firmware first (posted earlier in this thread) and then do list only from mine

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/56355/bak-8820.abs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭dmm1000

thanks so much - thats made it a bit more orderly

appreciate the presumably manual effort you had to go through - I have emailed Amiko for availability of editing software - no response as yet

Advertisement