Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe Storm January 2nd/3rd 2012 (Malin records gust to 169km/hr)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max Gust still 58km/h about one hour ago. Average 32km/h. Judging by the Data can't say its got any stronger in the last hour in Waterford City.

www.waterfordcityweather.com/wxindex.php

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Extreme gusts now in S. Kerry and its making a unsettling hissing noise :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Wind is intensifying : Latest Gust 44mph, 10 min mean 26mph, bearing WSW

Temp is a balmy 11.9C

Baro 981.48 hPa - Falling Quickly

www.galwaycityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭seanknowsall

I hate to say it but I think the reaction tomorrow will be "What was all the hype about?" There seems to be a growing trend on here of weather events being hyped up and then, as one poster on here put it, end up as a damp squib!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Wild Bill wrote: »

As this storm appears, thus far, to be another damp squid, I'm off to bed.

Considering that this is only really after kicking off, and the fact that Dublin was never in line for winds like the west and north, how do you call it a damp squid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Really bad out there now.

I'm watching various lights going on and off in the distance and hearing various crashing and breaking noises.

There will certainly be serious structural damage in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Cloud structure looking ominous for the northwest and would go with recent report in Mayo coast and Galway. Storm strengthening rapidly probably near 960 mb at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

still lightly raining,wind/gusts seemed to of died down for now,off to bed ,stay safe people

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I'm hittin the sack guys. Thanks for all the reports. Hope people in the high risk areas don't get any damage. Enjoy the wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

G'nite gang,

need a little shut eye before the morning.

Look forward to reading the posts I miss but hopefully when I surface in a couple of hours things will be picking up a bit here in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,422 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Pressure now down to 962 mbs at K4 ... wind reports have ceased ... think the centre must be around 55N 10W now.

Variations in wind across the northwest are probably due to topographic effects but also a weaker wind field inside the 976 mb isobar at present, the stronger winds are evidently spiralling into the system and not hitting Belmullet or Donegal Bay yet (in general terms, there may be local differences).

Would be very cautious about staying anywhere away from shelter in the calm zone just mentioned because hurricane force gusts could materialize at any time now. This storm has deepened at rates that are very unusual, 18 mbs in three hours at the K4 buoy is the biggest three-hour fall I've ever seen outside of a fast-moving hurricane, and I went back to compare with the superstorm of 26 Jan 1978 to find 15-16 mb falls with that one.

Your reports are helping us a lot, but there is no marine data in the exact grid (west of Galway Bay) that I would currently like to have for confirmation of what I suspect may be 70-80 knot wind gusts developing.

Back to watching and reading the reports. Dublin-Meath questions generally speaking, the storm has blown itself out on the warm advection side now, and you'll probably get some variations all night before stronger winds develop around 0700-0900h as a consequence of the west coast winds funnelling through the central lowlands.

Remember, we can predict the general situation but you have to be your own local forecaster, hills and tall buildings can funnel the wind and block it out for some locations.

For Donegal, I am going to stick my neck out here and say, where winds not already strong, expect a rapid intensification soon (0300-0500) with violent force 12 gusts likely (to 140 km/hr or perhaps even higher in spots). Direction will be WSW veering to WNW. Nasty squalls of hail and rain may develop then hill snow by mid-day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 james08

Getting very windy in Sligo now... really has intensified within the last half hour!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭seanknowsall

John.Icy wrote: »
    Considering that this is only really after kicking off, and the fact that Dublin was never in line for winds like the west and north, how do you call it a damp squid?
    True.... Dublin was never in line for winds like the west and north but in fairness the winds in the north and west are hardly strong or anyways unusual....and one of MT's earlier alerts/posts mentioned that Dublin would see some severe winds.... perhaps this swathe of imminent severe winds will push up speeds across the country? I hope so....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I hate to say it but I think the reaction tomorrow will be "What was all the hype about?" There seems to be a growing trend on here of weather events being hyped up and then, as one poster on here put it, end up as a damp squib!!

I won't be saying that, Snow Ghost won't be saying that...Storm is only starting to wind up off the west coast so plenty more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

snow ghost wrote: »

I'm watching various lights going on and off in the distance and hearing various crashing and breaking noises.

Any way of throwing up a video SG?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

He lives in the country and it is dark. Get a video upped for Baraca there so he can complain about the picture quality Snow Ghost. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

snow ghost wrote: »

Its worse ive heard for ages, the young lad is awake now and screaming. The roof here is rattling with gusts. Funny thing is, the wheelie bins that always blow over on a windy monday night before collection are still standing!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭bassy

snaps wrote: »
    Its worse ive heard for ages, the young lad is awake now and screaming. The roof here is rattling with gusts. Funny thing is, the wheelie bins that always blow over on a windy monday night before collection are still standing!

must be some serious xmas snacks left overs in that wheelie bin :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    He lives in the country and it is dark. Get a video upped for Baraca there so he can complain about the picture quality Snow Ghost. :p

Most phones/camcorders have a light these days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭jirafa

Current Cork Harbour Weather

Summary
    Date: 03/01/12
    Time: 3:00 LMT
    Forecast
    Increasing clouds and cooler. Precipitation possible within 6 hours Windy with possible wind shift to the W, NW, or N.
    Temp
    Temp: 11.7 °C
    Humidity: 98 %
    Dewpoint: 11.4 °C
    Pressure
    Now: 989.7 mb
    Trend: Falling Rapidly
    Wind (10 mins)
    Dirn: SW
    Speed: 15.5 kt
    Wind (Today)
    Max Gust: 40.0 kt
    Rain
    Today: 0.6 mm
    Rate: 0.0 mm/hr

Wind Speed
    windTodaySmall.php

Info from ..................... http://86.43.106.118/weather/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

baraca wrote: »
    Any way of throwing up a video SG?

I thought about getting one 10 mins ago baraca, but tbh I never really take videos; have never uploaded a vid to youtube nor am I a member and figured it would be too dark unless I went out to get it under some kind of light. Sorry mate, I know it would have been good and I really should get into the videos when I get a chance.

It has quitened down a bit now, still bad and lights flicking.

Be safe people - its a dangerous one alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭tzfrantic

can these winds knock down trees

• Registered Users Posts: 6,552 ✭✭✭bassy

tzfrantic wrote: »

apparently yes.

why apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

Gusts starting to get scary now (I'm a few miles north of Castlebar). There's a tree close enough to the house to do serious damage if it were to topple, and the wind is coming in just the wrong direction for that to happen. Thinking of moving downstairs for a few hours. Certainly won't sleep while this is going on...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

tzfrantic wrote: »

No its the wrong type of wind.....................!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

I thought it was the west and north west getting hit by this storm?? im in cork and there is slates flying outside and the gaff is creeking never seen wind as bad, stay safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭elvis99

Just got really horrible in the last 10 minutes in Headford, Co Galway, wheelie bin in the middle of the road :mad:

what type of wind can knock down trees then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

I wouldn't even bother.

No real change here. House creaking again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement