Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom phonewatch & upc

Options
  • 21-12-2011 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

hi all

we currently have a wireless eircom phonewatch alarm with fixed phone line and looking at getting tv/broadband/phone package with upc, which would mean the fixed phone line would be dropped. so what i need to figure out is how do i connect upc phone to eircom panel without needing to involve eircom or do i have to get them involved or what is the best way to go about this?

is another option to go with a different monitoring company?

apologies if this has been asked before.
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Eircom won't do it for you.
    They will try & tell you it doesn't work so they can either keep your landline business or try to sell you a GSM dialler insted (Without informing you how easy it can be jammed)

Heres how you can do it yourself .

Get one double RJ 11 socket.
    un46a_new.jpg

1 RJ 11 to RJ11 lead
    pic14.jpg

At the rear of the socket wire red/black from socket 1 to line in on the dialler & blue/yellow from socket 2 to line out of the digi.

Connect RJ11 patch lead from Ph1 of the modem to socket 1 & plug the phone into socket 2. If there are other phone connections around the house these can also be connected to socket 2.
    If you are patching in existing phone sockets around the house make sure you disconnect the external line coming into the house first.
    Remember if the power goes off the line is dead. You can put a back up power supply or a UPS onto the modem, however if there is a power cut in the area there is a good chance UPC will be down anyway.

And yes any licenced company can take over the monitoring of your alarm. Possibly at a better price as well so shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,657 ✭✭✭✭altor

hi all

we currently have a wireless eircom phonewatch alarm with fixed phone line and looking at getting tv/broadband/phone package with upc, which would mean the fixed phone line would be dropped. so what i need to figure out is how do i connect upc phone to eircom panel without needing to involve eircom or do i have to get them involved or what is the best way to go about this?

thanks

If you ring P.W they will tell you it wont work and wont monitor the alarm using UPC. They will try sell you a GSM, unless they can poll this forget about that option. A lot of people just get it changed and P.W still monitor the alarm with no problems. Strange enough as they say it does not work :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 legalizblack

altor wrote: »
    hi all

thanks

If you ring P.W they will tell you it wont work and wont monitor the alarm using UPC. They will try sell you a GSM, unless they can poll this forget about that option. A lot of people just get it changed and P.W still monitor the alarm with no problems. Strange enough as they say it does not work :rolleyes:

GSM unit is really good.it's not that easy to jamm. €149 covers the gsm and you don't have to top it up like others. Cheaper than paying line rental.

GSM unit is really good.it's not that easy to jamm. €149 covers the gsm and you don't have to top it up like others. Cheaper than paying line rental.

Another lie. Why do you keep posting they are not easy to jam ?
    What is you technical background to back up your claim ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I have seen numerous devices tested, they are extreemly easy to jam. Jamming devices are very cheep as well, So much so burglars leave them behind to prevent digis dialling out once they have gone.
    If you are going to make such claims please back it up with some knowledge of their workings.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »

I have seen numerous devices tested, they are extreemly east to jam. Jamming devices are very cheep as well, So much so burglars leave them behind to prevent digis dialling out once they have gone.
    If you are going to make such claims please back it up with some knowledge of their workings.

I'm not saying they can't be jammed. Seen them tested aswell.you have to be really close to the control panel to make sure it works.doesn't really work from outside unless you have a pretty big one which doesn't really happen on a domestic break in.how many examples can someone give of an Epw jammed? Same system( Simon xt made by GE) is used in US aswell and I think they are more advanced in jammers and stuff.unless you are ready to spend about 3-4k on some better security system then ePW it's the best one out there at an affordable price

I have seen numerous devices tested, they are extreemly east to jam. Jamming devices are very cheep as well, So much so burglars leave them behind to prevent digis dialling out once they have gone.

I'm not saying they can't be jammed. Seen them tested aswell.you have to be really close to the control panel to make sure it works.doesn't really work from outside unless you have a pretty big one which doesn't really happen on a domestic break in.how many examples can someone give of an Epw jammed? Same system( Simon xt made by GE) is used in US aswell and I think they are more advanced in jammers and stuff.unless you are ready to spend about 3-4k on some better security system then ePW it's the best one out there at an affordable price

I think the fact that more than 130k people are covered by ePW says a lot.

I'm not saying they can't be jammed. Seen them tested aswell.you have to be really close to the control panel to make sure it works.doesn't really work from outside unless you have a pretty big one
    I don't know what your backround is or what you tested but here's my experience.
    We tested one from inside a monitoring station. I'll let you look up the specs. It wasn't a big unit & it wasn't expensive .
    The unit blocked signals in the entire building & across the car park. Its also worth noting that when a signal is jammed your phone will still show a full signal untill you try to make a call.
    Unless you are ready to spend about 3-4k on some better security system then ePW it's the best one out there at an affordable price. This would include an external bell as well. How much do Eircom charge for that Optional Extra again??:rolleyes:
    Again, I don't know what you are comparing against. You could get a system for well less that 1 k that would be a way higher spec than Eircoms panel. I would suggest you look up prices for HKC Quantum 70.
    Also look at the specs & ask me how that compares to Eircoms Simon.
    I think the fact that more than 130k people are covered by ePW says a lot.
    I says that marketing which involves reps who know nothing about alarms & will tell you anything for a sale works.

Hmmm.. Just noticed this on another thread
    at the moment I'm a sales rep for eircom phonewatch
    An important bit of information , people should be aware of when judging what you are saying here.
    So , speaking as an Eircom rep,can you tell me does Alarm Monitoring work over UPC?

Hmmm.. Just noticed this on another thread
    at the moment I'm a sales rep for eircom phonewatch
    An important bit of information , people should be aware of when judging what you are saying here.
    So , speaking as an Eircom rep,can you tell me does Alarm Monitoring work over UPC?

No, because it's a digital line

• Advertisement

Another eircom rep and another lie.
    It does work. Please get some technical information before lying to people here.
    I think you will find users on boards less prone to your tales than the OAPs you are used to telling these lies to.

It does work. Please get some technical information before lying to people here.
    I think you will find users on boards less prone to your tales than the OAPs you are used to telling these lies to.

Dude, the fact that you clearly hate eircom and working with some other alarm company doesn't make you the only person that everyone should listen to ;) Eircom is still the biggest one out there PW aswell so it doesn't really matter if monitoring works with UPC when Eircom doesn't do it ;)

i don't hate any company. its the blatent lies that I hate. You come on here trying to promote eircom, but like all other reps you are prepared to lie. 2 Posts ago you said it doesn't work with UPC , now you come back saying it doesn't matter. When someone you are supposed to trust with the security of your home is willing to lie so easily and clearly has no technical knowledge of the system, that is a big concern.
    PS Eircom phonewatch will work with UPC if you connect it. More lies!!
    please get your facts right before posting such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Outed as an eircom rep :D Well spotted Koolkid.

Us in the industry have known about the lies eircom have been telling customers for years and finally one of them has been caught out telling porkies on line. :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Dude, the fact that you clearly hate eircom and working with some other alarm company doesn't make you the only person that everyone should listen to ;) Eircom is still the biggest one out there PW aswell so it doesn't really matter if monitoring works with UPC when Eircom doesn't do it ;)

As someone not directly involved in the industry and as the other mod of this forum, legalizblack I assure you that I have no issues with PW and I wish them all the best in the new year.
    We do however have an issue with false information being presented on boards for whatever reason, be it pushing a business or simply due to lack of understanding of the issues that are being discussed.
    So please note that you are entitled to an opinion and debate is all the rage here but you can't knowingly post inaccurate information on the forum, that behaviour particularly when repeated will result in action from the mods.
    I hope you take this post into consideration and continue to post in the forum, happy Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Mod edit.

Thunderbird , thank you for your comments, but note the general boards rules relating to being civil to others and companies.

End of edit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Aww i was just being truthfull! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 onlyme23

Hi I'm really interested in this conversation, I have a PW Monitored alarm and eircom phone line, strongly considering changing to UPC, so where do I start, UPC have told me to contact phonewatch to get a GSM Unit? PW quoted me approx 200.00 , plus their monthly monitoring cost.

If you could advise on a, what and how to maintain alarm system, and if it can be monitored if I opt for UPC package, phoneline, broadband.

onlyme23 wrote: »
    Hi I'm really interested in this conversation, I have a PW Monitored alarm and eircom phone line, strongly considering changing to UPC, so where do I start, UPC have told me to contact phonewatch to get a GSM Unit? PW quoted me approx 200.00 , plus their monthly monitoring cost.

If you could advise on a, what and how to maintain alarm system, and if it can be monitored if I opt for UPC package, phoneline, broadband.

The UPC will give an analog line, this can be used to monitor the system. The down side is no electricity in the house, no line for the alarm to dial out. To get around this a back up power supply can be installed to give the unit power in the event of a power failure.

Eircom are lying to you if they say your UPC line wont work,it will.
    They are also giving you very bad advice if they are recommending a GSM unit without inforing you of the risks re jamming.
    My advice would be to shop around. Any licenced company can monitor your alarm and probably at a better price as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 onlyme23

Thanks for your advise, I'll check these out.

Your welcome. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Eircom won't do it for you.
    They will try & tell you it doesn't work so they can either keep your landline business or try to sell you a GSM dialler insted (Without informing you how easy it can be jammed)

Heres how you can do it yourself .

Get one double RJ 11 socket.
    un46a_new.jpg

1 RJ 11 to RJ11 lead
    pic14.jpg

At the rear of the socket wire red/black from socket 1 to line in on the dialler & blue/yellow from socket 2 to line out of the digi.

Connect RJ11 patch lead from Ph1 of the modem to socket 1 & plug the phone into socket 2. If there are other phone connections around the house these can also be connected to socket 2.
    If you are patching in existing phone sockets around the house make sure you disconnect the external line coming into the house first.
    Remember if the power goes off the line is dead. You can put a back up power supply or a UPS onto the modem, however if there is a power cut in the area there is a good chance UPC will be down anyway.

And yes any licenced company can take over the monitoring of your alarm. Possibly at a better price as well so shop around.

We have a box like this inside our front door. The black cable leads to the outside world and the white cable leads to our hall phone socket and is then presumably wired up to our alarm and other sockets around the house. Would it be possible to replace the black cable with an rj11 to a UPC box and thus give life to all the sockets in the house and have functioning alarm monitoring? We aren't on phonewatch but rather an older alarm box to a monitoring company.

Cheers!

image045c.jpg

Replacing the pair on the black cable with a feed from the UPC box will work. The only thing you need to check if its an older digi is that its using DTMF tone dialling & not pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

Replacing the pair on the black cable with a feed from the UPC box will work. The only thing you need to check if its an older digi is that its using DTMF tone dialling & not pulse.

Thanks very much for your help. Do you know how I can find what sort of tone the alarm box is using? The model is called a Vista 5.

So basically I do the following?
    1) Buy an RJ11 cable, strip one end of it and use some new of those gel connectors replacing all the wires on that black cable with those going to my RJ11.
    2) Connect my RJ11 to my UPC box.
    3) Probably buy one of these? http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Belkin-Active-Battery-Backup-400VA-240-Watts-20-Minute-Backup-Time-/110805361413?pt=UK_Computing_PowerSupplies_EH&hash=item19cc83a305#ht_500wt_1156

And then bob's my uncle?

johnfás wrote: »
    Thanks very much for your help. Do you know how I can find what sort of tone the alarm box is using? The model is called a Vista 5.

So basically I do the following?
    1) Buy an RJ11 cable, strip one end of it and use some new of those gel connectors replacing all the wires on that black cable with those going to my RJ11.
    Yes, but it will only be one pair
    johnfás wrote: »
    Yes.
    A couple of things on the back up power supply.
    Check its capacity against the UPC modem to see how long it will hold up.
    Also bear in mind if there is a power cut in the area your UPC line will probably be down anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cord

Sorry...a question on the side, if I may. Will an alarm texter work with upc or do I have to go the go the GSM route?

cord wrote: »
    Sorry...a question on the side, if I may. Will an alarm texter work with upc or do I have to go the go the GSM route?

Depends on the system you have installed. What system have you installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cord

SecureWatch by HKC...I think

• Advertisement

cord wrote: »
    SecureWatch by HKC...I think

No, wont work with the HKC, a voice dialer will work in your case.

Advertisement