Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

LowTek wrote: »
    This is probably an obvious one, but im an andriod newb! :-)

How do i create back ups of my galaxy nexus that i can restore to should i need to?

If you have rooted your GN, download ROM Manager from the Market and flash their recovery.

Then, boot into Recovery [Power + Vol Up and Vol Down, scroll to Recovery] and select Backup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

For anyone rooted, who want an Advanced Power Menu [Reboot and Reboot into Recovery options] have a look here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 LowTek

Otacon wrote: »
    If you have rooted your GN, download ROM Manager from the Market and flash their recovery.

Then, boot into Recovery [Power + Vol Up and Vol Down, scroll to Recovery] and select Backup.

Rooting is something i want to do eventually but i dont have it done yet. Is rooting the GN the only way to create a back up??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Maybe this needs it own thread but there are mumblings over on XDA that the phone may not be the true Android experience and Samsung may have interfered a bit on certain models.

What do ye think and who has the true Nexus and who has the Sammy interfered ones?

http://www.xda-developers.com/android/is-the-galaxy-nexus-still-a-nexus/

Is there anyone here who hasnt got the volume bug fix yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Guys, I moved from the HTC Sensation to the Galaxy Nexus and done a lot of reading while I had it because I liked the HTC Reader application so much. I am now wondering if the HTC Reader APK can be got for the Galaxy Nexus? I know there is Aldiko and other options but I would really like the HTC Reader app if at all possible......

Any ideas?
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

thomasj wrote: »

You not got yours yet mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

madmoe wrote: »
    Guys, I moved from the HTC Sensation to the Galaxy Nexus and done a lot of reading while I had it because I liked the HTC Reader application so much. I am now wondering if the HTC Reader APK can be got for the Galaxy Nexus? I know there is Aldiko and other options but I would really like the HTC Reader app if at all possible......

Any ideas?
    M

Doubt its compatible considering the amount of framework changes HTC do for their sense applications

madmoe wrote: »
    thomasj wrote: »

You not got yours yet mate?

Yep got mine a week ago but reading that link above would make you think there are some samsung "branded" nexuses out there that may have not got the fix yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Maybe this needs it own thread but there are mumblings over on XDA that the phone may not be the true Android experience and Samsung may have interfered a bit on certain models.

What do ye think and who has the true Nexus and who has the Sammy interfered ones?

It's only the US models that are on Verizon. They had Google wallet removed and a few Verizon apps added.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

It's only the US models that are on Verizon. They had Google wallet removed and a few Verizon apps added.

If its unlocked than no carrier has touched it . All american nexii are locked to verizon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Kenno90 wrote: »
    If its unlocked than no carrier has touched it . All american nexii are locked to verizon

I think if you read the full article and forum post on XDA they are suggesting that it is unlocked phones and that it is Samsung that have tampered with the OS to make it not fully Google ICS and nothing to do with the operator
    It looks like Samsung have put their own build of ICS on some phones so some people are not getting the full and proper Google ICS experience

yakjusc and yakjuxw are the two Samsung-prepared builds where as yakju is the correct Google build

I just wonder is it happening to anyone here? Its occurring in Germany, Singapore, Canada and other countries so not limited to USA

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

It looks like Samsung have put their own build of ICS on some phones so some people are not getting the full and proper Google ICS experience

That's not necessarily true. Those builds have been compiled by Samsung, but there is no difference in experience on the phone.
    It's just that because Samsung is responsible, they control the updates.

So yes, the ecosystem experience for want of a better phrase, might not be the same.
    The OS is the exact same though, so still a pure android experience when it comes to using the phone, maybe just not when updating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

C-Shore wrote: »
    The OS is the exact same though, so still a pure android experience when it comes to using the phone, maybe just not when updating it.

So really not the true ICS Google style
    Users will not get the updates they can expect directly from Google - have to go through Samsung first:(
    This is exactly why I would buy a Nexus - to ensure I get the stock Google experience and timely updates I dont want the manufacturer sticking his paws in it
    Maybe users can root and get the pure Google ICS back but for the cash people have been shelling out on the phone its a step too far for me

C-Shore wrote: »

Users will not get the updates they can expect directly from Google - have to go through Samsung first:(
    This is exactly why I would buy a Nexus - to ensure I get the stock Google experience and timely updates I dont want the manufacturer sticking his paws in it
    Maybe users can root and get the pure Google ICS back but for the cash people have been shelling out on the phone its a step too far for me

From reading that thread, it sounds like the issue is with these regional variation phones. With expansys usa, they were saying the models had stickers showing in spanish and english. Likewise with the danish models and so.

So it looks like once you have a uk/ireland model, you should be okay.

I got mine in vodafone and on the basis of the swift fix and it being unlocked id be fairly satisfied mine is a google model! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Sure it could easily be fixed that an OTA update could be issued to unify the builds on all phones, which is what I would expect would happen; then updates work together.

On the other hand, if it is in Samsung's hands to update those builds indefinitely then I would imagine it would only be a couple of days delay, not like the updates on skinned versions.

Anyway, anyone that is this concerned with up to the minute updates should probably be familiar enough to be able to flash the yakju build. If they aren't, then they are possibly missing the major benefits of the whole Nexus idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ULMarc

I just got the Galaxy Nexus from a Meteor store. Changed network and got it for €149 on an 18 month contract. €25 per month for 400/400/2.

All good so far, it's unlocked so I'm still using it on my 1 month old 3 sim :) An I've gotten an update too. The only thing I've noticed is that after a couple of seconds of speaker silence you can hear the click of the speaker turning off. Even if it plays the sound of a button press you hear the speaker pop a few seconds later. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

corklad32 wrote: »
    What plan is that? What do you get for the €20?
    I hope I wasn't misleading. The plan includes the usual 200 mins, 200 texts, free meteor calls & texts. But the data is an add-on, "sub data 500" or something like that. So, all-in-all total is €25.
    trev44 wrote: »
    How does it handle the changeover from wifi to 3G and vice versa? iPhone does this seemlessly and I want to make sure that the GN does the same.
    Thanks. t
    Hand over is smooth. Saying that, I haven't tried to maintain a viber call while switching from WiFi to 3G. Viber is not compatible yet anyway. But I have used it to pre-cache maps while sitting in the car, within WiFi range, and then queried navigation directions while pulling away & thus switching to 3G. No issues, either way, with browsing in and out of coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

ULMarc wrote: »
    I just got the Galaxy Nexus from a Meteor store. Changed network and got it for €149 on an 18 month contract. €25 per month for 400/400/2.

All good so far, it's unlocked so I'm still using it on my 1 month old 3 sim :) An I've gotten an update too. The only thing I've noticed is that after a couple of seconds of speaker silence you can hear the click of the speaker turning off. Even if it plays the sound of a button press you hear the speaker pop a few seconds later. Anyone?
    You sure this plan isn't €40 per month? It's supposed to be €50 in store for what you're getting or €40 online. For €25 per month you should get 200/200/1gb and the phone 250. I'm pretty sure you will be paying 40 or 50 per month especially as you got the phone for 150. The plans are on the meteor site

You sure this plan isn't €40 per month? It's supposed to be €50 in store for what you're getting or €40 online. For €25 per month you should get 200/200/1gb?

My thoughts exactly. I was beginning to wonder how on earth one could get that deal.

no. the lad in the store said it's a deal just for this month.... that began today. And I confirmed it'd last the duration of the 18 months.......

I thought the same as you guys as last week in the crescent i had to argue a guy down to 40 euro in store. Maybe they like my eyes :) Anyway. I got what I got and I'm gad I didn't cave earlier. (nearly paid £540 the weekend!!!)

• Advertisement

no. the lad in the store said it's a deal just for this month.... that began today. And I confirmed it'd last the duration of the 18 months.......

I thought the same as you guys as last week in the crescent i had to argue a guy down to 40 euro in store. Maybe they like my eyes :) Anyway. I got what I got and I'm gad I didn't cave earlier. (nearly paid £540 the weekend!!!)
    All i can say is fair play to you for getting that deal. Any better and they'd be paying you take the phone off their hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭corklad32

Obskure wrote: »
    All i can say is fair play to you for getting that deal. Any better and they'd be paying you take the phone off their hands.
    What store? I'll hotfoot it up there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Jealous :(...:pac:

Fair play to you man

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭The lips

Picked up my Nexus from meteor today. Turned it on and after about 15 mins the phone froze when I went to input my credit card details. I walked away from it and when I came back the power was out and the phone was unresponsive to anything, wouldnt charge either.

Meteor exchanged it with a new phone on the spot, anybody else have problems like these?

Fingers crossed with my new one......

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Got mine today off Meteor too. I couldnt wait for Online Meteor shop,
    it doesnt allow Meteor Upgrades, have to ring in and they out of stock.

So 1 shop had them in stock today in Cork, rest sold out
    or keeping them for NEW Customers, but rep in Douglas was A1,
    ended up getting it for 100e on 12 month Bill Pay Max... 85e p/m
    I dont care its expensive plan but ive unlimited text calls and 1GB Data.
    And only 12 month Contract.

Nexus is sweet, some screen detail is out of this world.
    Glad I skipped HTC Sensation XL for this, Nexus id highly recommend.

Kev

What store? I'll hotfoot it up there!!

Limerick, but he says it's a national in-store offer. And I assume not just for Nexus as he offered it to me before I picked the phone

Also when my phone synced with my Google account it installed the Superuser app (unless it was already present). I though you needed root for it to install.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭arbour

this may have been covered in the thread but Don't want to have to go through pages and pages of posts but what do people think of the Galaxy Nexus battery life? How long would you get out of the phone without watching videos,usin camera much etc? Might get it but Battery life is a big thing for me

thank you

Arbour

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭The lips

I'm having no luck syncing my outlook contacts with the GN, Kies will not connect. How did others go about it.

My last phone HTC desire will only allow me to export to SD card. Will not allow me to export from the phone to SIM card either.

Joe

Edit: I downloaded a wifi file transfer app on both phones and it has worked flawlessly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

arbour wrote: »
    this may have been covered in the thread but Don't want to have to go through pages and pages of posts but what do people think of the Galaxy Nexus battery life? How long would you get out of the phone without watching videos,usin camera much etc? Might get it but Battery life is a big thing for me

thank you

Arbour

After a full day in work and evening of moderate usage (browsing in and out of work and few calls/texts etc) i usually have around 50% left by nighttime. so decent life out of it for my usage.

Advertisement