Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 2011/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭faktisperminute

the gfs charts show snow chance for the whole country in 36 hours from now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Great to see a bit of hope with the cold spell coming (it better come :P )

Hopefully we might be even able to put of a hat and scarf in the morning!

Sick of this unseasonable weather this Winter, roll on the cold temps!

:D

P.S. would be very excited if i were in Donegal http://www.donegaldaily.com/2011/11/28/snow-on-the-way-to-donegal-this-week/ ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I moved that post to this one as there's certainly no point in starting another thread, especially when the quote is the Donegal Daily!!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Su Campu wrote: »
    I moved that post to this one as there's certainly no point in starting another thread, especially when the quote is the Donegal Daily!!! ;)

A fine upstanding publication ! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Probably covered here already but if not, here is a link to an arctic oscillation site in NOAA:http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao_index.html
    Thats the highest its been in a wee while. Not conducive to snow at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭weathermaiden

Just throwing this out there, make of it what you will.

Himself has an uncanny ability to predict events based on "gut feeling"... and for about 3 weeks he has been saying not to worry about winter sucking, because it will all change and get good on the 11th of December. (Good = I'm a snow lover)

Make of that what you will, it is based on nothing but "gut feeling" and no science whatsoever. I'll be curious to see how it plays out given his kind of strangely accurate predictions about life in general. Probably as valid as half of the long-range forecasts out there! (With no offense to lrf's out there!) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

Himself has an uncanny ability to predict events based on "gut feeling"... and for about 3 weeks he has been saying not to worry about winter sucking, because it will all change and get good on the 11th of December. (Good = I'm a snow lover)

Make of that what you will, it is based on nothing but "gut feeling" and no science whatsoever. I'll be curious to see how it plays out given his kind of strangely accurate predictions about life in general. Probably as valid as half of the long-range forecasts out there! (With no offense to lrf's out there!) :rolleyes:

Bring him to Vegas, win loads of cash, buy a big mansion somewhere with a cold snowy winter climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Believe me none of you would love a "1947" type event. I lived in one for much of my teenage years. Right up in northern Minnesota where severe lake effect snow regularly occurred. It's great craic initially. But not cool when your electricity is gone and then only comes back sporadically. Also having to get up 2 hours earlier than normal to try clear your drive way in what seemed like a pointless effort as the snow falling was more than you're shoveling. It gets very old very quick.

I still love snow but if this country had 4 months of constant snow i reckon even the biggest enthusiast would grow tired.
    i guarantee you i wouldnt grow tired of it, but i still wouldnt wish for a 1947 event because of all the hardship it caused the country when it happened.

Rougies wrote: »
    Bring him to Vegas, win loads of cash, buy a big mansion somewhere with a cold snowy winter climate.

See, the one problem with that is, he can only predict money-related stuff like lotto numbers moments before it's called. Like if we're watching the lotto numbers being called, he will get 4 of them right but if we try to do it the day before, we might get 1. It's the Kryptonite. :p

Plus, I am so UNlucky with that stuff, we would end up breaking even anyway. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

See, the one problem with that is, he can only predict money-related stuff like lotto numbers moments before it's called. Like if we're watching the lotto numbers being called, he will get 4 of them right but if we try to do it the day before, we might get 1. It's the Kryptonite. :p

Plus, I am so UNlucky with that stuff, we would end up breaking even anyway. :cool:

fry.PNG?1318992465

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

The stomach is made up of the same cells that make up the brain. Hence 99.999% gut feelings are always right.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mcriot29

shedweller wrote: »
    Probably covered here already but if not, here is a link to an arctic oscillation site in NOAA:http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao_index.html
    Thats the highest its been in a wee while. Not conducive to snow at all!
    It could break records being so high it a plus 4 iv not seen it this high in years itgoing to cause some very cold air at the pole
    Question is what happens if it dips low and the cold air moves down south
    I think colder air then last year of course the ao nao may not dip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Kippure wrote: »
    The stomach is made up of the same cells that make up the brain. Hence 99.999% gut feelings are always right.

That's the last time I eat Haggis so!

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Apologies if this has been posted before....

The Great Blizzard of 1947 in Boyle, Co Roscommon

http://homepage.eircom.net/~greenst/blizzardof47.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

The AO is showing no signs at the moment of going Negative , hopefully its starts to show over the next few runs

182943.png

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭ff9999

For us simpler folk with little knowledge of charts or trends

ARE THINGS LOOKING POSITIVE FOR SNOW-LOVERS AT LAST? :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

ff9999 wrote: »
    For us simpler folk with little knowledge of charts or trends

ARE THINGS LOOKING POSITIVE FOR SNOW-LOVERS AT LAST? :D

Not great at the moment , but a cooling seems to be on the horizon , just seasonal cooling mind you nothing exceptional,

That chart posted above if things start to go negative it would greatly increase our chances .

I am looking at the mid month for something to really start happen as MT eluded to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Well worth a read - especially for those who see a '47 blizzard as a negative.
    Great piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Did MT give an update in the last few days? I think i missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Here's the 47 blizzard

archives-1947-2-25-12-0.png

archives-1947-2-25-12-1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Sitting down to the computer in work and Im checking the forecast for tomorrows operation and Im get this.... Yay... :D:):D

SA 281900 S 19015KT 9999 -RA FEW012 BKN018 BKN040 13/11 Q1004 NOSIG

FC no data available

FT VALID FOR ETD/ ETA
    FT 281700 S 2818/2918 17017G27KT 9999 SCT020 BKN030
    BECMG 2819/2821 19018G28KT -RADZ BKN010 BKN016
    TEMPO 2821/2910 4000 RA BKN008
    BECMG 2910/2912 27018G28KT BKN020
    TEMPO 2912/2918 SHRASN SCT020CB

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Figure that some of the snow bunnies here who are rocking an Android phone might appreciate this new Live Wallpaper.:)

https://market.android.com/details?id=ru.gonorovsky.kv.livewall.snowmood#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDIxMiwicnUuZ29ub3JvdnNreS5rdi5saXZld2FsbC5zbm93bW9vZCJd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭esposito

lord lucan wrote: »
    Figure that some of the snow bunnies here who are rocking an Android phone might appreciate this new Live Wallpaper.:)

https://market.android.com/details?id=ru.gonorovsky.kv.livewall.snowmood#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDIxMiwicnUuZ29ub3JvdnNreS5rdi5saXZld2FsbC5zbm93bW9vZCJd

I wonder is there one for the iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

bb1234567 wrote: »
    i guarantee you i wouldnt grow tired of it, but i still wouldnt wish for a 1947 event because of all the hardship it caused the country when it happened.

Thing is you can't if you've never experienced it. You can't guarantee you'll like something if you've never had to endure the hardships it caused. I love storms but living in Kansas wrecked my head eventually due to the constant need to react to even the slightest possibility of tornadoes. When your quality of life gets affected you begin to see things a little differently. Same way i still love snow. But after Christmas i always wished it would ease up. Come the following November i'd be dying for it. But you get tired of it when it enters the 4th month and you're still getting up 4 hours before your work or school start time. It's why snow birds exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

lord lucan wrote: »

Ah, my phone is snowing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Madpaddy79

Sitting down to the computer in work and Im checking the forecast for tomorrows operation and Im get this.... Yay... :D:):D

SA 281900 S 19015KT 9999 -RA FEW012 BKN018 BKN040 13/11 Q1004 NOSIG

FC no data available

FT VALID FOR ETD/ ETA
    FT 281700 S 2818/2918 17017G27KT 9999 SCT020 BKN030
    BECMG 2819/2821 19018G28KT -RADZ BKN010 BKN016
    TEMPO 2821/2910 4000 RA BKN008
    BECMG 2910/2912 27018G28KT BKN020
    TEMPO 2912/2918 SHRASN SCT020CB

Now if only the nice people in the aviation met office in snn would only put the forecast temps on the tafs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Tomorrow I reckon the snowline will be down to around 300 metres in any showers through most of Ireland after the front passes, that's tomorrow afternoon in the west and tomorrow evening in the east. In the far south it should be around 400-500 m. Enough for some sleet at low levels before some warmer air pushes in again later in the night.

A similar picture again Thursday, then milder air again later Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭pauldry

was just noticing that Su.

looks as if there will be a few of these borderline episodes in December.

Still if you live on the mountains happy days

• Advertisement

s5fgat.jpg:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement