Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

11 hours away now, I'll be up really early to sort out everything, wish myself and the family well.

I hope everything goes as well as it can do, and I'm glad ye can all be together to support each other and give him a darned good send off

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

I read your story before I registered to boards but now I can reply. I really am very saddened to read what happened to your friend. I will be thinking about you, your friend and his loved ones tomorrow. All the best. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,703 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Sorry it took a while to get this up.

Tuesday Morning: Woke up bloody late, straight away I got a phonecall from the guy driving the deceaseds Civic....he wasn't near me and hadn't washed the car yet. His reason? They were to collect a cousin from 'Blanchardstown', except, it wasn't Blanchardstown, according to her it was Lacklanstown, which really meant Loughlinstown, bloody women!
    So I hopped straight into messy clothes and into my own Civic, went down the garage and gave it a spankin wash :D My hands were FROZEN when I got back in to drive home, had a shower and off I went to the families house.
    Parents seemed ok as 200+ people swarmed around comforting them etc, so I just let them know I was there and whatnot. Then the other Civic arrived, finally!

As the body was brought out, we rushed off to our cars, and 2!!! damn cars got in between the family car and the two Civics!, I had many a chance to overtake, but thought it a bit rude, so I left it till we got to the Church. Rather than park in the Church myself and my mate parked out on the road to assure ourselves we could get out first, which we did ;)

The time came when the hearse was opened up, and I had to play my part in carrying the coffin. 6 of us done it in total, not a single quarrel thank God. Ground was soaking and slippy, nobody slipped, phew! Got into the Church, everybody rose and we slowly walked behind the Priest, inches away from his head as the back two carriers decided they'd speed along :P

For some strange reason, Million Dollar Bill by Whitney Houston was being played? I admittedly sang it in my head as we walked :o
    The coffin was layed, and the Priest started the ceremony, not once did I turn to the crown nor the priest, I wanted to stay focused.

A cousin of the deceased's read a short paragraph on Samaritans, which he cheekily relayed to me that night :P, and then a family member read a passage of some sort. Then came the time for the giving of the gifts, his cousin brought his guitar, myself his keys, and another cousin his fishing rod.

Mass continued with the usual footprints passage, I think everybody near me knew it already as all I could hear was muttering that sounded like the passage :P.

His would-be brother in law read a hand-written passage which made everybody smile, in which he layed out his duties to the family, and his memories of the deceased.

Family members then read out a couple more passages, and then came the time for his Sister to read her written letter.

As she read it out, every single person in that Church was listening intently, not a single sound could be heard among her soft voice. She spoke of his life, his hobbies, his relationships within the family and outside, she had everybody in stitches, and then the last paragraph hit home, not a dry eye in the Church, it was beautiful.

The time came to carry the coffin again, this time outside, back to the hearse. This was when I realised how many people came, 550, the church was packed, I was happy I could see that, although still focused on not hitting the Priest in the back of the head again and not slipping down the hill on the way out!

As we loaded the coffin into the hearse again I legged it out to the car, straight away I parked up beside the family car, I wasn't letting anybody past me nor was I letting anybody in front of me! I started a huge tailback =D
    I was delighted as I heard people beeping and whatnot, I wasn't moving, no way!The Gardaí kindly helped with getting the procession out and moving.

Half an hour later we were at Mt.Jerome, slowly creeping through the grounds to Marks final resting place.

Skip an irrelevant bit to the body being in the grave, and now we have everybody throwing Roses into the hole, 20+ were thrown in, the family looked shocked at how many there was.

The afters then took place, and that'll be too boring for everybody :rolleyes:

The next day though I went around to the house, and his Mam was in a good mood, telling me everything went perfect and she couldn't thank me enough :)

Ooh, I also found out the reason he may have done it, which I'm happy to know, but I was sworn to secrecy, which I'm more than willing to oblige too :)

Thanks for reading :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Davindra

Sometimes, no matter how sad it is, when there is enough love, a funeral can also be a beautiful, joyful thing...

Plenty of laughter in with the tears...

Thank you for sharing that...

Tomorrow it's time to begin putting yourself back together and preparing to get the very best from your own life, for Mark's sake, as well as your own.

He will know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I'm really sorry to hear about this man.

Guy in my unit hung himself from a tree, his best friend (also in the unit) hung himself from the same tree soon afterwards. Noone really knows why. We were all devastated by it. I can't even imagine what you must be going through as you were so locse.

Don't worry about breaking down. You're human. He was your best friend. You feel. There's nothing wrong with your reaction. It's normal.

As terrible as it is that he's killed himself, by the sound of him, he wouldn't want you to mourn his passing. Try to celebrate his life. I know that can sound incredibly callous now but I found it a huge help when dealing with unexpected death of my friends and loved ones.

You've already shown a lot of maturity so soon after such a heavy blow.
    My thoughts are with you and your friend(in as much as some guy who only knows you through your posts can be)

• Advertisement

I really thought I should have added a bit of closure onto this now.

His months rememberance, birthday and benefit have all happened since I last posted.

The months rememberance was simply a mass in which his name was called out, nothing big.

Although, the next day was his birthday, the 31st of January. I went down to the grave with a couple of friends, just basically stood there, talking to him in my head, so many things came out I couldnt possibly keep track. I'd still not put anything on the grave, today wasnt the day for it.

A couple of weeks ago, I was out walking the dog. I felt so shit about myself that I swear I think I felt exactly how I'd like to think he felt, so many thoughts ran through my head, I sympathised with him, I wondered how he did it, what he was thinking about, how easy it was to do it. At one stage I looked at a block of apartments and wondered how easy it'd be to just jump off. The only difference is I could never possibly do that to anybody, this made me angry with Mark again, I wanted to just scream out WHY!, I took the fresh air and time to myself.

In school a few days later, I felt shite yet again, so I decided to head up to the grave with a friend, I seriously didn't wanna go up on my own. After a few minutes speaking with Mark, I went up to the flower shop, bought a single orange rose and wrote with marker on it 'Finally something to give you, Dutch'. I finally got to say goodbye in the way I wanted to. I think i felt happy to let him go.

His benefit night came a week ago today, the place was absolutely packed, hundreds of people turned up and everybody had a great night. The night had some sorrow in it though, as I saw his Father bent over in tears, he'll never truly get over it, I can see it in his eyes.

I havent been up since, but I finally want somewhere to remember I said goodbye.

Mark Quinn, 31/1/92-23/12/09, Rest In Peace, you'll be forever loved and remembered by your best mate, I'm still your best mate, nothing ever came between us, nothing will. Goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I'm glad you've been able to find at least some amount of closure in all of this.

I'm still amazed that someone so young can articulate himself so perfectly and so maturely. There's hope for the world yet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Mark Quinn, 31/1/92-23/12/09, Rest In Peace, you'll be forever loved and remembered by your best mate, I'm still your best mate, nothing ever came between us, nothing will. Goodbye.

Thats just beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Midnight firstly Id like to say how brave you have been for somebody so young fair play to you, you have obviously done Mark so proud :D

I know what you are going through if you ever need to talk, my first experience of suicide was 2 years ago when my ex did it!

Like you I went through all the motions but I can honestly say I wasnt anywhere near as brave or strong as you.

Just dont let yourself forget nothing you could have said or done could have changed anything in any way possible! A person who is in that frame of mind cant be talked out of it in any way.

It does get easier honestly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

The night had some sorrow in it though, as I saw his Father bent over in tears, he'll never truly get over it, I can see it in his eyes.

I know that look. Haunting is the only word I can think of to describe it. Only thing you can do to help is just be there and support when you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

I wish I didn't but I know that look too. Thoughts are with you Midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

That is absolutely tragic that someone that young could feel that low inside. God Bless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

Midnight, I just read this whole thread with tears in my eyes. I'm so sorry for your loss, and you sound like a remarkable person. I couldn't have been so strong when I was 18 (probably couldn't now!), and I hope you can stay in touch with your feelings and deal with things as they come up. Grief is a long process, but I'm sure you'll cope with it well.

Mark sounds like a great person too. If he had a friend like you who held him in such high regard, then he must have been wonderful.

I'm thinking of you and Mark's family and other friends - and Mark, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Only just found this thread. I went to primary school with Mark, he was always really sound. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Thanks for the update Midnight, you have such strength & such openness in your posts. Remember, it's only been a couple of months - the roller-coaster will continue for a while yet and the ups and downs are to be expected.

Thinking of you xxxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i have alot of admiration for you op - i was in tears reading all of this and can identify with everything you have felt and continue to feel

just wanted to add this message to anyone who is reading this that might feel similar,
    i lost my cousin almost 5 years ago (6th april) and have recently relocated to sydney.
    It's been a hard 5 years and its completely changed me and changed life as i knew it....

i have developed anxiety problems and mild depression, i also have an overwhelming fear of losing anyone in my life.
    I have also had crippling IBS since the week of his death, i had this around the time of the funeral and it has not gone away, and sinus problems.

i recently took the first step in dealing with his death and moving on, and i saw a healer.
    I of all people was sceptical about this, but did not want to go down the pharmaceutical route in dealing with the mental issues -
    have had 2 sessions and did some energy healing, reiki healing and angel healing - and am amazed with how much its helping me. The healer told me, with no idea of why i was attending the appointment - that i had been badly affected by a sudden death, and when she lay her hands on me - could point out my physical problems almost immediately - and has put this down to the fact that i have alot of pain and emotions pent up inside of me - and never fully dealt with my grief.

After 2 sessions, i already feel an improvement, and am just so sorry i left it 5 years before going to get help! i hope this maybe of help to someone else.....
    It's ok to grieve and to get help, best of luck xxxx

This time last year, on the release night of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, you knew I had H1N1 and you very graciously offered up your time for me. You went down to the shop to collect my copy, they wouldn't serve you it without me being there but you still came home to me, asked me what to do and then simply said you'd be back in 20 minutes. You went back down to another different shop and picked up the game for me, then dropped it home to me.

This year I'll be doing it for Black Ops with you, your picture will be in my pocket.

Nearly a year now buddy, in two short months you'll get a bigger post, trust me <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Midnight, I cannot imagine the pain you have been through. Let alone the strength you have shown. Have this organisation www.console.ie
    been of any use to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Katieoo

Midnight, I'm in awe of you. I wish I had even a little bit of your strength. I think your friend would be very proud. He was lucky to have you in his life.

Take care

A whole year now, wow that flew in :(

A much longer message will be coming sometime today...much much longer.

I still miss you as much as I did the first day I started this thread :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Midnight

You have done your friend proud and you are an inspiration to everyone who has read this thread who is struggling through grief.

This must be a really tough day for you. Try and take some comfort in how well you have honoured your friend and cared for his family. You really are an exceptional man. (I know you are still very young, but you definitely are that).

Your friend would be proud.

A whole year now, wow that flew in :(

A much longer message will be coming sometime today...much much longer.

I still miss you as much as I did the first day I started this thread :(

I never wrote a message for the passing of the year because I've been afraid, afraid to think about that day again and how horrible a time it was for me. I still miss you so damn much, it's nearly two years yet I still feel like you're right beside me...I keep a picture of you in my car on my rear-view mirror, you're always looking at me, smiling, keeping me safe. At least, I'd like to think you're keeping me safe. No, I know you are. You used to call me Guardian Angel when we played Halo every single night...well now you're mine, please don't ever leave me again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

Keep strong man, read this from start to finish again as it's helped me deal with losing one of my mates to suicide too. Your strength is admirable, keep going strong. Remember, your friend will always be watching over you.

Leftyflip wrote: »
    Keep strong man, read this from start to finish again as it's helped me deal with losing one of my mates to suicide too. Your strength is admirable, keep going strong. Remember, your friend will always be watching over you.

I'm glad I could help even without saying anything to you, PM me if you want to chat or anything :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement