Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edge for Observer Hall of Fame / Are you a regular WON subscriber?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Are there many wrestling observer readers here besides Rov?

Half this thread at least.

Others wait six weeks in the new Powerslam. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I just go to other sites that reprint it all for free usually within the hour ;)

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I just go to other sites that reprint it all for free usually within the hour ;)

Purple monkey dishwasher in my experience also you dont get the historical pieces, podcasts or the board.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I want them to answer, not you! tongue.gif I bet there's not many, I ask since nobody here really talks about the observer (in a first hand sense) except you really. I mention WOL sometimes, maybe there's a few more. I reckon most here are just enjoying the discussion in the general sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Yeah the amount of sites that do that must be annoying. I wouldn't even pay a subscription to have vince's ear psssst Vince since Bryan is having so many pre ppv dark matches just have him cash in the MitB at the pre WrestleMania dark match then heck make it a traditional Battle Royal.

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »
    Purple monkey dishwasher in my experience also you dont get the historical pieces, podcasts or the board.
    Some do but it's pretty easy to tell who's making it up and who is reposting. "According to..." usually means bull**** in there somewhere, whereas "Credit to..." usually means a copy and paste.

Historical Pieces: Dont mind too much.
    Board: Dont care.
    Podcasts: Definitly dont care. Why would I pay to hear someone talk about what they dont like about wrestling?

Why would I pay to hear someone talk about what they dont like about wrestling?

lol'd (as in too true)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

edge for hall of fame. seriously he was one of the best damn entertainers of the last decade and produced some awesome matches. i'm drooling now thinking about them. :p:p

now i'm a fan of batista, but if he can get it, then surely edge can get in easily. batista was good, but no where near as good as edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I want them to answer, not you! tongue.gif I bet there's not many, I ask since nobody here really talks about the observer (in a first hand sense) except you really. I mention WOL sometimes, maybe there's a few more. I reckon most here are just enjoying the discussion in the general sense.

I've subscribed for a good few years now. I wouldn't be without it tbh. Its about far more than just beinga "news site." Some of the historical stuff is amazing - the obituaries Meltzer has written are works of art id some cases. You also get hours of audio that ranges from hilarious to must-listen. And you get to abuse Bryan on the forum. :pac:

A bargain tbh. I don't have any desire or need to read any other wrestling news or opinion site because of it. Loads of the lads that post here are subscribers.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Loads of the lads that post here are subscribers.

I think a poll is in order I doubt too many here subscribe to it. I get most of my news on boards & skim over a few sites so I can't see the point of paying for it i'm not that much of a fan that i'd pay to read news.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

GTR63 wrote: »
    I think a poll is in order I doubt too many here subscribe to it. I get most of my news on boards & skim over a few sites so I can't see the point of paying for it i'm not that much of a fan that i'd pay to read news.

But I've just said there is far more than just news for one's money. And at least you can out your hat on the news you get in the Observer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

I subscribed to the Observer for 2 months and, tbf, it's definetly worth the money

Personally speaking I kind of resent jaykhunter raising this question and derailing an interesting thread. With all due respect I dont even know if JayK has read the topic to be honest outside of seeing "Wrestling Observer" as he didnt even give his thoughts on the topic took time to post. The topic itself was more about where modern performers stand historically rather than just the WON HOF itself.

It isnt a F4W website only thing if that is what JayK issue with it. Subscribers dont vote on it rather it is a private panel of wrestlers, promoters, historians and journalists. Discussion about it is not limited to the site either heck the best discussion from my POV takes place on the Wrestling Classics and ProWrestlingOnly forums rather on the F4W forums.

It is always this tiresome us vs them type aspect here and elsewhere when this issue comes up. You dont see it with Powerslam or the PS50 for example. Ill never understand this weird resentment, envy or whatever it is that people have.

Cards on table and file under the category of it is what it is. But there are lots of regular posters on here who post over there as I & others see them post there. There are posters who post over there who have either left this board or barely post or lurk. I am sure there are others in the opposite direction too.

Why in gods name are we discussing this? Why does it need a poll? This isnt about the Wrestling Observer. I was just wondering where modern wrestlers stand historically given the changes in the industry BASED off the discussion & then the results of a very well respected Hall of Fame that is all. It was an interesting topic that was generating actual discussion by others and wish we could return to that. :)

No need for tears about it ffs, has anyone even posted a PS50 since i've been on here doubt it cause i'm pretty sure boards did our own best wrestler of the year anyway. The MOTY thread is there for a reason too. Just suprised that people pay subscriptions when there is so much information or articles out there for free i'd say the same if it was about football, gaa, videogames or whatever I just wouldn't anyway.

tbh i was just curious to know how many people here are so hardcore in their wrestling fandom that they pay a monthly subscription (considering the amount of excellent free stuff out there.) It doesn't warrant a new thread and I assumed that the WON crew would be in this thread.

lol man, i didn't mean to upset you. I also think it's funny u say envy/resentment etc (:confused::pac:) but also take a shot at PS readers waiting 6 weeks for their news.

in any case, sure resume your normal chit-chat :)

No need for tears about it ffs, has anyone even posted a PS50 since i've been on here doubt it cause i'm pretty sure boards did our own best wrestler of the year anyway. The MOTY thread is there for a reason too. Just suprised that people pay subscriptions when there is so much information or articles out there for free i'd say the same if it was about football, gaa, videogames or whatever I just wouldn't anyway.
    tbh i was just curious to know how many people here are so hardcore in their wrestling fandom that they pay a monthly subscription (considering the amount of excellent free stuff out there.) It doesn't warrant a new thread and I assumed that the WON crew would be in this thread.

lol man, i didn't mean to upset you. I also think it's funny u say envy/resentment etc (:confused::pac:) but also take a shot at PS readers waiting 6 weeks for their news.

in any case, sure resume your normal chit-chat :)

Good lord I wasnt upset and the Powerslam line was a joke. Sorry but I have seen the envy/resentment thing people on here in the past. Again you dont see people take this tact about any other news source. JayK again you even skipped my original thread/question to talk about it you do deep down must have some issue here.

Neither of you have stated that you have subscribed before I dont think. I've seen people say the exact same simplistic thing of "why pay for news" then become members for life. There is a couple of difference aspects of the site individually worth the subscription price alone.

I'll tell you straight the majority of content (outside of torrents etc) isnt out there for free. What is outside there on newz sites is either taken out or contents to get clickz for their site.

If this discussion continues please make a spilt thread as this topic is really tiresome in comparison to the original topic IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I sub to the Observer site. Wouldn't give a ****e about the newsletter or this HOF that everybody is all sensitive about over there. I love the audio (Alan4L has a brilliant podcast that easily tops any podcast I've ever listened to humour-wise) and the Board keeps me entertained when I'm bored ****less.

If I could just pay for audio and the Board I would but even at the price its at now I think it's great value.

I really don't care Rovert. Sorry for bringing it up.

Might aswell set up an observer thread because this gets brought up a lot.

I sub to the Observer site. Wouldn't give a ****e about the newsletter or this HOF that everybody is all sensitive about over there. I love the audio (Alan4L has a brilliant podcast that easily tops any podcast I've ever listened to humour-wise) and the Board keeps me entertained when I'm bored ****less.

If I could just pay for audio and the Board I would but even at the price its at now I think it's great value.

And for every Diabhal there is a person who doesn't even subscribe to the website and just get the paper version of the Wrestling Observer and so on. Essentially it is as close as a one stop shop for all aspects Pro Wrestling & MMA with some really talented, knowledgeable and creative both in terms staff and subscribers. It is 2011 spending €7 a month online on ridiculous amount of content isn't that hardcore and many news/media outlets are going the paid media route - HELLO Netflix is coming Ireland in 2012. Don't see the issue or hurdle a few people here have with it.

Being a moderator on a Wrestling forum it is more strange for you not to be a Wrestling Observer subscriber in my experience and from my point of view.

Also yeah Alan's shows with Eamo, Justin, Naylor etc make me H-A-P-P-Y :pac:
    I really don't care Rovert. Sorry for bringing it up.

I just would have preferred you to have at least commented on the actual topic before going down this road and changing the freaking topic title. I started the topic to talk about something specific but now that has gone off the rails and it is now a half topic. I am a poster and you are mod & I'm the one giving out about this.

I would prefer if you changed back the topic title back or just make a spilt topic at this stage. I really don't want to be seen as backseat modding I just what to go back to talking about the thread I created without the distraction of the other shoe horned topic.
    Might aswell set up an observer thread because this gets brought up a lot.

With a poll. :P

We should have our own sub forum like the Wrestlemania people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

i get the free podcasts every week,

Alvarez is always harping on about subscribing and getting access to every show they have ever made etc.. but do you have to listen to them on the site or can you download them? basically, if i subscribe once can i pick and choose some of the more interesting podcasts and download them?

D.Q wrote: »

Alvarez is always harping on about subscribing and getting access to every show they have ever made etc.. but do you have to listen to them on the site or can you download them? basically, if i subscribe once can i pick and choose some of the more interesting podcasts and download them?
    Sign up for a month and you can download everything you possibly can. Lot of good stuff there and if anybody needs any recommendations just ask around here.

Add to what Diabhal said if you have iTunes there are individual podcast feeds for every show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

thats worth the investment then, was in two minds about it, but they were talking about a series of interviews with creative that I would love to listen to.

thats worth the investment then, was in two minds about it, but they were talking about a series of interviews with creative that I would love to listen to.

They've been doing that the week before Mania for 3-4 years. Those guys have kind have gotten over exposed with IWantWrestling stuff but still there is plenty of fresh information there.

Here is plenty of awesome interviews besides those two.

Even if you just subbed for month and hoovered up all the old audio and newsletters you want/can handle there is no way on earth your money could wasted. People in general genuinely find the amount content overwhelming heck I did and signed up in 2006! :pac:

rovert, do you work for them? :pac:

rovert, do you work for them? :pac:

No I just want to help people here mainly and I just think it is great value for money. I really dont understand someone who is a regular poster here not giving it a go at least once over some weird notion or hurdle about spending {#thundering clap :eek:} €7 a month online.

If rovey was getting paid to promote F4W he probably would get treated a lot nicer around there. I echo his sentiments though. 7 euro just to download shows and read through old Observers is worth it and you will more than likely love it so much you'll stay a bit longer.

It's a genuine massive gap from news in the Observer to quoting Wrestlezone in regards for accuracy alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Have to say im pretty tempted to sign up for a month after reading this thread.. just to see what the fuss is all about..

• Advertisement

Must say that the pricing and the durations are very good. Make sure not to sign up for recurring though if you are only paying for a month.

Advertisement