Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New sweet shop

Options
  • 12-10-2011 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭

Aunty Nellie's Traditional Sweet Shop opening in Greystones.
    where Monica Peters Boutique was

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Mrs. Mooney was telling me the other day that her sweets are cheaper than any of the new entrants to the boiled sweets market.

You gotta love that shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Two Boys

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Aunty Nellie's Traditional Sweet Shop opening in Greystones.
    where Monica Peters Boutique was

Cool, The kids will love this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

What's the deal with all the sweetshops opening up?

There are 5 traditional sweetshops in Bray now, with another on the way.

I suppose in harsh economic times we look to the basics for comfort.

Stanley Stores should never have closed down...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think it's only 3 in Bray

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭FirstIn

I think it's only 3 in Bray
    I heard its the dentists that are behind all of these new sweet shops ;-)

• Advertisement

1 in the arcade, 3 open on the main street and another to open at the top shortly. Saw them all last Saturday and sample the goods :)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Aunty Nellies have the sourest sweet you will ever experience, even the memory of it hurts my jaws :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

1 in the arcade, 3 open on the main street and another to open at the top shortly. Saw them all last Saturday and sample the goods :)

I thought there were only three or at least I can only see 3. One in the Arcade, one actually open on the main street and one soon to open.

Can't see how any more than one will be around next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

Called in to one of these shops in Wexford at the weekend (Mr.Simms).
    Bought1/4 of mint toffee sweets all of the sweets seem to be deformed are they seconds ? 1.35€ per 1/4. do'nt know if that is good value or not:confused:

one opening soon top of main street, one open directly across from it, one open mid main street, on the old cinema road and one in arcade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

one opening soon top of main street, one open directly across from it, one open mid main street, on the old cinema road and one in arcade

I'm still very confused. I've only counted 3 after walking through the town so I still don't know how you are getting 5?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Ok well I think the one on the other side of the main street is the shop that sells sweets, coffee, and other bits. Its got a really small shop with red facing and has things hanging on the outside? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is what you are thinking of?

Also, the old cinema road I presume is Quinsboro road? Again, are you talking about the ice cream shop?

I'm not having a go, I just genuinely can not see the five and to be honest would be kinda of annoyed if someone gave planning for five in a town that could not sustain such an amount.

Yes to the coffee shop in red which is actually called something like Nanny mcfarts sweet shop.

And yes I was confusing an ice cream shop with a sweet shop. So only 4.

Is 4 ok for planning? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    Ok well I think the one on the other side of the main street is the shop that sells sweets, coffee, and other bits. Its got a really small shop with red facing and has things hanging on the outside? Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is what you are thinking of?

Also, the old cinema road I presume is Quinsboro road? Again, are you talking about the ice cream shop?

I'm not having a go, I just genuinely can not see the five and to be honest would be kinda of annoyed if someone gave planning for five in a town that could not sustain such an amount.

Do you need planning to open a sweet shop?

Apologies, I meant a shop license, I was under the impression that the council does have some say as to what type of shops are needed but maybe I wrong. If not than one is needed as Bray is going to be just made up of pubs, coffee shops, pharmacys, and now sweet shops. But this is more for the Bray forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Why are people going on about sweet shops in Bray? I reckon there is a place for a niche shop like this on the main street and I wish them very well (and I don't even eat sweets but can see the potential for the local market).

Stop with the bah humbug!

(I'm a wordsmith I know) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    Apologies, I meant a shop license, I was under the impression that the council does have some say as to what type of shops are needed but maybe I wrong. If not than one is needed as Bray is going to be just made up of pubs, coffee shops, pharmacys, and now sweet shops. But this is more for the Bray forum.

No there's no licensing system. The councils have some control through the planning system, because changing from one kind of shop to another can be what's considered a "change of use", which requires planning permission. Changing from a clothes shop to a restaurant would generally require planning permission, for example. But general retail use is general retail use :- you don't usually need planning permission to change a clothes shop into a fish shop, or a sweet shop.

As an example, Dublin Corporation was unable to stop the Ann Summers sex shop opening opposite the GPO :- the premises was already in use as I think a clothes shop, and changing it into a sex shop wouldn't have been considered a change of use.

Why are people going on about sweet shops in Bray? I reckon there is a place for a niche shop like this on the main street and I wish them very well (and I don't even eat sweets but can see the potential for the local market).

Stop with the bah humbug!

(I'm a wordsmith I know) :D

I think it is a perfect shop for greystones. I think this kind of shop would do better than a clothes shop. Unfotunaly these days if you want nice clothes, somewhere like dundrum gives much more choice and lower prices. Although that's just a personal thought, I am no economist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

drove down greystones main street last night... all the signage is up for auntie nellies and have to say it looks fab.... all the stock was on the main floor so they must be opening this week.... its really looks well and brightens up the main street!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Will have a look myself later today...who'll be the first to post a pic?! PixbyJohn? The race is on...

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭caji

They are opening this Saturday!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

It looks fabulous!

(John I am always looking suspiciously at any men seen roaming the streets of Greystones with a camera in hand, wondering if it may be you .... )

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭mirrorball

Pineapple cubes, oh yeah :D I will put dear old Aunt Nellie in profit all by myself.
    Great pics John.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Just down the town and had a look at the new sweet shop, looks terrific, really tastefully done!

nice one John,
    it really looks great. Not a big sweet eater but a perfect store for Greystones.
    Hope this one 'sticks' around.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭DK32

Looking forward to sampling the merchandise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Where were you Astro ?

Ah, I was in a little bit of a hurry so when I drove up the main street, I couldn't quite hang out the window of the car and do a drive-by [photography] shooting! Great pics...some signage missing there on the left ;) - Shusshh!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Newcomers1

Going by some posters here, the Greystones Camera Club's first business tie-up will be with Greystones' newest business!

• Advertisement

I wonder what other members of my family will be immortalized by shops in Greystones.

It's a fitting tribute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement