Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veradkar formally suspends 45 road projects

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭imangry29

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The NRA staff who worked on these frequently expensive and vapourificatious projects are to be transferred ( on a large scale) to the new National Water Authority which will be set up formally in the Autumn.

Course if they refuse to go quietly per the Croke Park terms they will then be made redundant.

In which case, the local authority staff currently responsible for delivery of water services are no longer required?? One way or another it is surely becoming obvious that our backroom, office-based public services (like the NRA, local authorities) are overflowing with overpaid, idle bodies at the expense of valid road projects, healthcare, education etc. (For another forum, but haven't Bord na Mona made the pitch to run the water services?). NWA for Autumn?!?!?!? With all that annual leave to use, most of the public servants charged with establishing the body will still be on their holiers. Or they might tag on some of that mandatory sick leave. I digress.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

List

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/projects-in-the-pipeline-that-are-now-suspended-2842853.html

N2 Slane bypass.
    N2 Castleblayney to NI Border.
    N3 North of Kells to Cavan.
    N4 Mullingar to Longford Rooskey.
    N4 Carrick-on-Shannon to Dromod.
    N4 Collooney to Castlebaldwin.
    N5 Westport to N26 at Bohola.
    M8 Dunkettle interchange upgrade.
    M11 Enniscorthy to Gorey.
    N11/N25 Oilgate to Rosslare Harbour.
    N14 Letterkenny to Lifford.
    N15 Ballybofey/Stranorlar bypass.
    N15 Sligo to Bundoran.
    N15 Lifford to Ballybofey/Stanorlar.
    N17 Collooney to Tobercurry.
    N17 Tobercurry bypass.
    N17 Knock to Tobercurry.
    N17 Tuam to Claremorris.
    N21 Adare to Abbeyfeale.
    N21 Adare bypass.
    N22 Farranfore to Killarney.
    N22 Ballyvourney to Macroom.
    N22 Cork North Ring Road.
    N24 Pallasgreen to Bansha.
    N24 Ballysimon to Pallasgreen.
    N25 New Ross bypass.
    N25 Dungarvan bypass.
    N25 Carrigtwohill to Midleton.
    N25 Cork Southern Ring road upgrade.
    N25 Waterford to Glenmore
    N26 Ballina/Bohola.
    N30 Clonroche to New Ross.
    NATIONAL SECONDARY ROADS
    N52 Kilbeggan to Tullamore.
    N52 Ardee bypass.
    N56 Dungloe to Glenties.
    N56 Mountcharles to Inver.
    N59 Clifden to Oughterard.
    N59 Moycullen bypass.
    N59 Westport to Mulranny.
    N62 Thurles bypass.
    N69 Listowel bypass.
    N71 Kenmare bypass.
    N81 Tallaght bypass to Hollywood Cross.
    N86 Tralee to Dingle.
    N87 Ballyconnell inner relief road.

List seems dubious to me. There is no such thing as "Pallasgreen to Bansha" or
    "N25 Cork south ring road upgrade". These are not official scheme names. So the question is: what's the source? And how reliable is it?

The N28 isn't on the list; yet the Dunkettle Interchange is, despite the launch of a shiny website for the scheme just three months ago.

Typical half-assed 'journalism'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Also, that rubbishy Independent article would lead one to conclude that all of those schemes were suspended with immediate effect. Not so. Every scheme will be brought to the end of its current planning stage and will then be mothballed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Tremelo wrote: »
    List seems dubious to me. There is no such thing as "Pallasgreen to Bansha" or
    "N25 Cork south ring road upgrade". These are not official scheme names. So the question is: what's the source? And how reliable is it?

The N28 isn't on the list; yet the Dunkettle Interchange is, despite the launch of a shiny website for the scheme just three months ago.

Typical half-assed 'journalism'.
    Yes "N25 Cork south ring road upgrade" is clearly wrong as this could only refer to the currently U/C scheme; the journalist should have known that. They can't be referring to Dunkettle as that's listed as an M8 scheme (technically it's an N8 scheme as the last 400 m of the M8 was not redesignated motorway in 2009).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

What's the n r a doing if all this activity is stopped, typical civil service Ireland, some of these roads could go ahead if savings were found in othe areas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

the amount of jobs that these roads would create would be huge, what a pitty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

N59 Clifden to Oughterard.
    N59 Moycullen bypass.

Well grumble & double grumble. Came onto have a look see what was happening with the N59. Nothing I guess.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

johngalway wrote: »
    Well grumble & double grumble. Came onto have a look see what was happening with the N59. Nothing I guess.

The list is wildly inaccurate. Part of Ougtherard to Clifden is still to proceed this year under the 'tourist route' scheme I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Thanks MYOB, that's some good news at least. Parts of the N59 are in an awful state.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Does anyone know what exactly is going to happen with the proposed Tuam to Claremorris motorway, if anything? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

What about the n11 rathnew to arklow,don't see it on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

headmaster wrote: »
    Does anyone know what exactly is going to happen with the proposed Tuam to Claremorris motorway, if anything? :confused:

Nothing for years i imagine.
    Claregalway bypass might even get built first.:eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

20 years, maybe.
    slickmcvic wrote: »
    What about the n11 rathnew to arklow,don't see it on the list

That's going to go ahead as soon as BAM Balfour Beatty can borrow money at a sustainable price.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There never was a proposal for a Tuam to Claremorris motorway, it is proposed as a 2+2 road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Nothing it would appear. The following is taken from the NRA project page.
    The Design Report, EIS and CPO documentation have been completed and progression of the scheme has currently been suspended.

The next step presumably is full planning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Anto,
    thank you for going to the trouble of getting that information, appreciate it.

Anto,
    thank you for going to the trouble of getting that information, appreciate it.

No problem, the hardest part of any part of finding things out is knowing where to look

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

MYOB wrote: »
    That's going to go ahead as soon as BAM Balfour Beatty can borrow money at a sustainable price.
    I saw yesterday something about (not an economist) Irish government debt getting a lower interest rate.... anyone help me here, does this type of thing make it easier for construction companies to borrow now or what?

spacetweek wrote: »
    I saw yesterday something about (not an economist) Irish government debt getting a lower interest rate.... anyone help me here, does this type of thing make it easier for construction companies to borrow now or what?

Nope. Thats on our already agreed bailout loan

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=GIGB10YR:IND when that goes below 6% the PPPs are probably viable. Its been on a downward trajectory for a while but its unlikely to fall much further for a while.

The N11/N7 PPP is the most viable of the lot as it includes a commercial element which is a veritable gold mine - the only online service station between Gorey and Kilmacanogue and eventually (OK, towards the end of the PPP period...) between Rosslare and Kilmacanogue. Borrowing for commercial projects in Ireland is still a lot cheaper than borrowing for state or virtual-state debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

spacetweek wrote: »

that's only on the "bailout", Irish 10 years bonds closed today at: 8.653%
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=GIGB10YR:IND

Need that to fall abit, I think Sponge mentioned around 6% for example?

• Advertisement

dubhthach wrote: »
    that's only on the "bailout", Irish 10 years bonds closed today at: 8.653%
    http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/quote?ticker=GIGB10YR:IND

Need that to fall abit, I think Sponge mentioned around 6% for example?

We stopped borrowing in June of last year, when borrowing was between 5% & 6%. At the time the NTMA claimed we had enough money to pay for 2010 & 2011. If we decide not to believe them and think that this is the point where borrowing was no longer viable (more than likely, given the initial rates from the ECB & IMF were about this level) then 5-6% is a decent estimate as to when we'll be back in the long term bond markets.

If we just look at the bailout terms (which most people claim the interest rate was to high) then 5.65% was the highest initial rate and we need to go to at least 5% for borrowing to be viable

Advertisement