Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do some irish speakers exaggerate pronunciations?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Yag reuoY wrote: »
    I went to the siopa by carr and bought some stampi.

Above is how I passed Leaving Cert Irish.:cool:

LOL - what a pathetic excuse for a language; no wonder it's perishing.

Hardly a pathetic use for a language fella - and it's far from perishing:D

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marcia Lustley

I went to the siopa by carr and bought some stampi.

i thanked you cause i felt sorry for you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

I went to the siopa by carr and bough some stampi.

I'd be surprised if you even passed English at that rate - and curiously enough, seeing as you've brought it up, the English word 'car' derives from Old Irish 'carr' - but let's not complicate your little mind too much there. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Yag reuoY

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Hardly a pathetic use for a language fella - and it's far from perishing:D

The Irish forum, despite its strategic location above the highly visited after hours, isn't exactly thriving.:D

The Irish language keeps O'Leary company in the afterlife. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

I will always hate when people say "boooous" instead of bus.
    I remember being on the bus ( :P ) one day and this woman got a call - "ah hey'ya i'm just on the boooous"
    A part of me died that day.

• Advertisement

LighterGuy wrote: »
    I will always hate when people say "boooous" instead of bus.
    I remember being on the bus ( :P ) one day and this woman got a call - "ah hey'ya i'm just on the boooous"
    A part of me died that day.
    i wonder do they pronounce mouse the same way? just thinking out loud :P

dlofnep wrote: »
    Care to elaborate exactly what's pathetic about the language, rather than the curriculum?

Firstly, if you were to speak the present form of Irish to one of your ancestors of a couple of hundred years ago, they would struggle to understand one word of your pompous babbling.

Its attempted revival is assosiated with the 'new state' and the failed efforts to create an Irish identity.

It's also a highly primitive language with no aesthetic qualities; listening to it is a painful and unpleasent experience.

My opinion: like it of leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭IdidIt

Firstly, if you were to speak the present form of Irish to one of your ancestors of a couple of hundred years ago, they would struggle to understand one word of your pompous babbling.

It's attempted revival is assosiated with the 'new state' and the failed efforts to create an Irish identity.

It's also a highly primitive language with no aesthetic qualities; listening to it is a painful and unpleasent experience.

Classic "highly primitive language".

Don't feed the trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

blah blah blah

All of this is so obviously retarded. For starters, try and speak English to somebody in Shakespeare's time and see the same reaction. Yours is such an obviously stupid and myopic post you can only be trolling.

Please troll elsewhere.

The Irish forum, despite its strategic location above the highly visited after hours, isn't exactly thriving.:D

The Irish language keeps O'Leary company in the afterlife. :o

comparing the irish language to the lack of use of the tech na nGealt forum?

i think i know what your trying to say but let me put it this way. i have never posted in teach na ngealt(i've had no particular reason for it yet) but i speak irish about 80% of the day. a language thriving to me is being able to converse with all walks of life not just gaeltacht people which i can do and when your younger cousins have better irish than you do.:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

It's attempted revival is assosiated with the 'new state' and the failed efforts to create an Irish identity.

I agree that a lot of the attempted revival was poor

But there are areas where there was no need for a revival as they never stopped speaking it, and it seems to be the pronunciations from these areas that the OP had a problem with

English speakers from two hundred years ago would probably also struggle to understand a lot of the modern day language, languages do evolve after all, the mainland European languages do have their roots from latin hence a lot of similar verb sounds

And as for aesthetic qualities, thats a matter of taste I suppose

Seanchai wrote: »
    All of this is so obviously retarded. For starters, try and speak English to somebody in Shakespeare's time and see the same reaction. Yours is such an obviously stupid and myopic post you can only be trolling.

Please troll elsewhere.

I'm not trolling at all; I'm merely donating my opinion on the Irish language.

Is detesting a language a crime around here?

Nope not a crime. But it's probably a little hard for people to grasp as to why someone would deteste a language.
    Fair enough being forced to learn it or having issues with excessive funding but the language itself did not, and indeed could not, hurt you.

comparing the irish language to the lack of use of the tech na nGealt forum?

i think i know what your trying to say but let me put it this way. i have never posted in teach na ngealt(i've had no particular reason for it yet) but i speak irish about 80% of the day. a language thriving to me is being able to converse with all walks of life not just gaeltacht people which i can do and when your younger cousins have better irish than you do.:o

I think this does indicate the lack of interest in Irish generally among the population.

I can't think of a time I overheard anyone conducting a converstaion in Irish. Ever.

The lack of interest isn't just down to the quality of treaching, it's also very much to do with the quality of the language itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Languages evolve all the time. What's your point?

A primitive language? Surely, aren't all languages primitive with the exception of Esperanto? As for having no aesthetic qualities - That's subjective. I find it to be a delightful language.

None of the above explains your original post which stated "what a pathetic excuse for a language". Your vitriol for language is absurd. Although, coming from someone who's username is 'Youre gay' - I'm not exactly expecting a compelling basis for argument from you.

Nope not a crime. But it's probably a little hard for people to grasp as to why someone would deteste a language.
    Fair enough being forced to learn it or having issues with excessive funding but the language itself did not, and indeed could not, hurt you.

It hurts my ears!:D

god no we are all entitled to our opinions. you can have yours and i'll have mine :)

amadán

just kidding :D

If I went onto a horse racing forum and I posted "LOL - what a pathetic excuse for a sport; no wonder it's perishing."

Although the sport is thriving but I have no connection/interest in it and make broad statements like it's perishing, people would presume I'm being a troll.

Maybe you think the Irish language is perishing but you thinking that doesn't make it true.

Languages evolve all the time. What's your point?

A primitive language? Surely, aren't all languages primitive with the exception of Esperanto? As for having no aesthetic qualities - That's subjective. I find it to be a delightful language.

None of the above explains your original post which stated "what a pathetic excuse for a language". Your vitriol for language is absurd.

The Irish language didn't evolve naturally, lets be honest.

A one size fits all version was required for nationalistic reasons.

For this reason I see very little integrity in the language.

I think this does indicate the lack of interest in Irish generally among the population.

I can't think of a time I overheard anyone conducting a converstaion in Irish. Ever.

The lack of interest isn't just down to the quality of treaching, it's also very much to do with the quality of the language itself.

you need to get out more.

no point arguing with you tho, as i said i respect your opinion. give me that common courtesy as well :)

• Advertisement

Really ? How did you grow to hate it so much then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

have to agree. i feel let down that i was brought up believing that this was our language and our 'identity' when for the majority of irish people it is not. its the language of the people who live in gaeltachts, places far removed from the cities and towns where its thought. i cant see why this language is being thought on a compulsary basis and how frustratingly useless those 16/17 years of schooling were. When i stand back from all the patriotic bullsh.it that was thought to me about the irish language, i feel quite sad that those years of schooling were wasted on a language which i have never encountered since i left school/college.

Irish speakers can have their language and they are rightly entitled to it but dont force it on the rest of us

you need to get out more.

no point arguing with you tho, as i said i respect your opinion. give me that common courtesy as well :)

If I felt your opinion was genuine I certainly would.

But it's difficult not to feel that many people who profess a love for the Irish language only do so because it's seen as part of their identity.

The feeling seems to be that if you hate Irish you hate Ireland.

You should be allowed to hate something that is patently awful.

paky wrote: »
    have to agree. i feel let down that i was brought up believing that this was our language and our 'identity' when for the majority of irish people it is not. its the language of the people who live in gaeltachts, places far removed from the cities and towns where its thought. i cant see why this language is being thought on a compulsary basis and how frustratingly useless those 16/17 years of schooling were. When i stand back from all the patriotic bullsh.it that was thought to me about the irish language, i feel quite sad that those years of schooling were wasted on a language which i have never encountered since i left school/college.

Irish speakers can have their language and they are rightly entitled to it but dont force it on the rest of us

I agree. It still doesn't make it a bullsh*t language though which is what I think a lot of people were saying, myself included. And I can barely soeak a word of it

paky wrote: »

i think this is where we all can agree
    /close thread

oiche maith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The Irish language didn't evolve naturally, lets be honest.

Sure it did.
    A one size fits all version was required for nationalistic reasons.

Um, there's alot more Irish than the official standard. Many languages around the world, including German are taught by an official standard by still preserve a variety of dialects. To be honest, you just come across as ignorant.

And I can barely soeak a word of it

throw me a few yoyo's and i'll have you speaking like a connie in no time! :p

Sure it did.

Um, there's alot more Irish than the official standard. Many languages around the world, including German are taught by an official standard by still preserve a variety of dialects. To be honest, you just come across as ignorant.

Few enough people speak the official version let alone the regional dialects.

You seem to be ignorant of the fact that the citizens of Irish just do not have an interest in the language.

I suppose you would argue against this as well? :pac:

If I felt your opinion was genuine I certainly would.

But it's difficult not to feel that many people who profess a love for the Irish language only do so because it's seen as part of their identity.

The feeling seems to be that if you hate Irish you hate Ireland.

You should be allowed to hate something that is patently awful.

i actually totally understand what you are saying, so i'll try to explain mine a little better.

The irish language to me never had anything to do with being a good nationalist or proud of being irish. you speak english but your not english. i speak irish but that doesnt i'm a padraig pearse loving sinn feiner (if that's even the way to say it!)

it was just the language i was brought up with :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Raic wrote: »
    It's a real pity that some people think that Irish spoken with English phonetics is correct and actually believe strong native speakers are "exaggerating" their pronunciations.
    Tea-shock and gourd-eeeee are particular pet-hates of mine.

Advertisement