Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Lights vs Roundabouts at busy urban junctions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭niloc1951

What are 'turbo roundabouts', please describe.
    I have driven in The Netherlands many times, have I use them unwittingly, am I very lucky to have returned home unscathed.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,933 ✭✭✭✭Stark

niloc1951 wrote: »
    I have driven in The Netherlands many times, have I use them unwittingly, am I very lucky to have returned home unscathed.

Google and you shall find: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout#Turbo_roundabouts

Looks like a half way house between a roundabout and a free-flow junction. Honestly can't see from the diagram and the description how it's more friendly towards cyclists and pedestrians to be honest.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Here's a post by GekkePrutser (Dutch perhaps?) in the Galway City forum regarding roundabouts in the Netherlands.

Says a lot worth paying attention to, IMO.

What I find strange is the apparent absence of footpaths in the images. No idea why that should be, though my experience of the Netherlands was that the level of service for cyclists was often much better than that for pedestrians, especially those pushing a buggy, as I was.

That said, I fail to see what might be "horrifically dangerous" about such a junction, especially for cyclists, though perhaps a true Turbo Roundabout is an entirely different concept.

No it doesn't. Road markings in the Netherlands are crystal clear. Simple roundabouts only have one lane, 'complicated' ones have arrows and lines where you just get into the right line beforehand and exit at the correct one.

The difficult ones also have intelligent lights (traffic dependent) that manage traffic in a sensible way and have mini-kerbs between the lanes so you can't switch where you're not supposed to, and pedestrian/cyclists don't use the roundabout at all but go around it.

rotonde.jpg

Rotonde-Rochadeweg.jpg

(The second picture shows an example of the raised divider between the lanes)

What I hate about the roundabouts here that it's totally unclear what to do due to all the lanes and 'mini-exits' unless you study the roundabout carefully. I remember someone once sent a whole-page letter to the Galway Advertiser explaining how to use the big roundabout Between Tesco, Dunnes and Currys.

But this shouldn't be required of a driver in heavy traffic, the road should be clear enough for the casual driver to make split-second decisions and make the right one every time. Also without intelligent lights they cause huge backlogs because if everyone takes the same exits they basically block all the ones before it from ever entering in heavy traffic. The lack of lights also puts too much pressure on the drivers to rush for small gaps because otherwise they'll never get out, and causes the speed on the roundabout to grow to dangerous levels.

Edit: It also doesn't help that the rules of the road don't even mention big multi-lane roundabouts or for example which exit to use when there is a multi-lane exit. They only explain the most basic ones :S When I read here that the RSA can't even agree on the standards I can understand why nobody really knows.

I think the way they're done here they create more problems than they solve, and I welcome the replacement by intelligently managed crossings such as at the huntsman/wellpark. Waiting times have really been reduced there.

Here's a video of a "semi-turbo roundabout" in Hilversum. Note the way cyclists and pedestrians are prioritised. In Ireland, the spiritual home of a different class of roundabout beloved of a different traffic culture, cyclists are also-rans who are just left to take their chances. Same applies to other non-motorised muck-shovelers like pedestrians, senior citizens, disabled people and anyone too fat, feeble or lazy to sprint through two or three lanes of traffic. Up the yard, let ye.

Here are a couple of papers on the topic of (Turbo) Roundabouts. Note the reference to a 70% reduction in serious inuries on such a "horrifically dangerous" Dutch-style roundabout versus traffic lights or yield intersections. Of course Irish roads engineers, presumably aware for many years of the increased risk to cyclists on Irish-style high-speed high-capacity multi-lane roundabouts, have never been really interested in protecting or prioritising vulnerable road users.

http://www.lags.corep.it/doc/turbo-roundabout.pdf

http://www.mnt.ee/failid/SlowTrRoundb.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Can you explain to me why cyclists should be prioritised over motorists ?

Can you explain to me why cyclists should be prioritised over motorists ?

Certainly.

Do you think motorised vehicles, especially private cars, should be prioritised over cycling, walking and public transport? If so, please explain why.

My reasons for prioritising cyclists (and pedestrians and bus users) especially in terms of maximising their safety and convenience:

1. Safety of vulnerable road users.
    2. Promotion of modal shift (every motorist switching to another mode = one less car = more space for people).
    3. Public health.
    4. Lower CO2 emissions.
    5. Less air pollution.
    6. Less noise pollution.
    7. Economic benefits: fitter healthier workers spending less time stuck in traffic.
    8. Energy efficiency and sustainability.
    9. Active travel as a key component of child freedom and independence.
    10. National, EU and global directives and policies.

From the National Cycle Policy Framework:
    The fiscal benefits of cycling include the value to the health service as a result of not having to treat illnesses which result from physical inactivity. There are also gains in productivity arising from reduced absenteeism and having a fitter and more alert work force. Increased cycling numbers means less urban congestion, thus benefiting businesses.
    3922227583_a9eaf73336.jpg

person-capacity.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Your original description of Dutch "turbo roundabouts" was that they are "horrifically dangerous", yet your later comments seemed to imply not much more than fender benders, moderate material damage to cars or occasional casualties..

There are massive volumes of crashes on turbo roundabouts, as well as many cases of people driving *over* the divider sections.

This is "horrifically dangerous", no matter how you try and redefine dangerous to suit your purpose at the time. No roundabout design is particularly prone to fatalties or serious injuries to motorists, this is blatantly clear so why you're trying to go down a pointless path of distraction I have no idea.

And, as is so often the case, a ten second google would find you info on how dangerous they are:
    http://www.teachamerica.com/rab08/RAB08_Papers/RAB08S6BBrilon.pdf
    "• no severe accidents
    • safety needs carefull consideration
    (damage-only accidents)"

http://www.rorise.com/blog/2010/09/turbo-roundabouts/
    "although not as safe as a single lane roundabout (turbo roundabout: 20% to 40% greater accident rate)."

I could go on, seeing as these are out of the top 5 results on Google (and referenced), but I don't see why I *should*. You're going to ignore anything anyone provides that might show you up as wrong, as you've done in every other thread to date.

If anyone is "desperate", its you. AM is quite correct in saying that you are moving your argument to suit whatever new bunch of statistics you've selected to throw out and to get away from anything you've been shown up on. Also, trying to pretend something isn't dangerous unless its killing people is a new level of patheticness, and yet you've done it - twice.

Also, its you that, repeatedly brings up my IAM membership in your posts when dealing with me. I'd like to know why, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

All well and good the problem of course in Ireland is that Cycle lanes are basically just painted on removing space from pre-existing road lanes. In reality proper engineering is required to ensure segregation (equivalent to your image above)

MYOB wrote: »
    There are massive volumes of crashes on turbo roundabouts, as well as many cases of people driving *over* the divider sections.

This is "horrifically dangerous", no matter how you try and redefine dangerous to suit your purpose at the time. No roundabout design is particularly prone to fatalties or serious injuries to motorists, this is blatantly clear so why you're trying to go down a pointless path of distraction I have no idea.

And, as is so often the case, a ten second google would find you info on how dangerous they are:
    http://www.teachamerica.com/rab08/RAB08_Papers/RAB08S6BBrilon.pdf
    "• no severe accidents
    • safety needs carefull consideration
    (damage-only accidents)"

http://www.rorise.com/blog/2010/09/turbo-roundabouts/
    "although not as safe as a single lane roundabout (turbo roundabout: 20% to 40% greater accident rate)."

I could go on, seeing as these are out of the top 5 results on Google (and referenced), but I don't see why I *should*. You're going to ignore anything anyone provides that might show you up as wrong, as you've done in every other thread to date.

So Turbo Roundabouts are "horrifically dangerous" compared to what exactly?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So Turbo Roundabouts are "horrifically dangerous" compared to what exactly?

Roundabouts.

Oh.

The conclusions from one of your own links above:

• Turbo-roundabout works
    • is capable to treat large volumes of through-traffic under lower demand on the side approaches
    • no cyclists should be allowed
    • pedestrians ? (better not)
    • no severe accidents
    • safety needs carefull consideration (damage-only accidents)
    • problem: too low crossing volumes
    • just one case! more experience needed

• Advertisement

Oh.

The conclusions from one of your own links above:

• Turbo-roundabout works
    • is capable to treat large volumes of through-traffic under lower demand on the side approaches
    • no cyclists should be allowed
    • pedestrians ? (better not)

• no severe accidents
    • safety needs carefull consideration (damage-only accidents)
    • problem: too low crossing volumes
    • just one case! more experience needed

And you claim that they're better for cyclists and pedestrians...

And you claim that they're better for cyclists and pedestrians...

You refer to "massive volumes" of crashes on "horrifically dangerous" Turbo Roundabouts, yet the German report you link to makes no mention of such massive horrors.

I believe it to be the case that 'Continental' style roundabouts, including and perhaps especially the types used in the Netherlands, are safer and more convenient for cyclists than the high-speed muti-lane roundabouts typically seen in Ireland.

I believe there are a number of reasons for this, including lower entry speed, prioritisation of cyclists and/or routing away of cyclists from the motorised traffic movements. The separation of cyclists from motorised traffic is what the Dutch very often try to do, and IMO is also what the German report above is referring to. That's what makes the design better than Irish-style fcuk-the-cyclists-and-pedestrians roundabouts.

According to SWOV:
    There is discussion about whether it is safer or less safe for cyclists and moped riders to have priority on roundabouts with separate bicycle tracks. Roundabouts with priority for cyclists appear to be less safe, but because of mobility reasons cyclists and moped riders generally have priority on Dutch urban roundabouts.
    It may well be the case that Dutch cyclists are prepared to compromise somewhat on safety (actual and/or perceived) in order to maximise their mobility.

Getting back to the OP's starting point, as a motorist, cyclist, pedestrian and bus user I'd prefer decent traffic signals to brutal Irish-style roundabouts. And I'd certainly prefer Dutch-style roundabouts to Irish ones.

Cycling on such infrastructure in the Netherlands as opposed to Irish cycle "facilities" is like flying compared to going by ass and cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I must say, one issue I have with signalised junctions and cyclists is that the majority of cyclists from what I can tell have scant regard for a red light.

80% of them will go through a red light without any problem at all. Until such rash behaviour on the road is solved, I seriously doubt a signalised junction will be of any benefit to cyclists.

You refer to "massive volumes" of crashes on "horrifically dangerous" Turbo Roundabouts, yet the German report you link to makes no mention of such massive horrors.

You're casually ignoring (as usual) the other report showing a 20-40% increase in crashes.

If there was a 40%, or 20%, decrease in accident figures in a year you'd be singing the RSA's praises from the rooftops, yet when it doesn't tie up with what you want to believe, you ignore it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

We should put traffic/pedestrian lights about 15 - 20 metres away from roundabouts, on each exit, so that traffic coming off the roundabout builds up causing a jam the whole way around when the lights go red.

Oh wait... :rolleyes:

I must say, one issue I have with signalised junctions and cyclists is that the majority of cyclists from what I can tell have scant regard for a red light.

80% of them will go through a red light without any problem at all. Until such rash behaviour on the road is solved, I seriously doubt a signalised junction will be of any benefit to cyclists.

Ireland certainly seems like the Wild West when it comes to compliance with (and enforcement of) traffic law.

I frequently see Garda patrol cars obstructing footpaths and going through roundabouts without signaling, for example.

And I regularly see cyclists flouting the law and idiotically compromising their safety in different ways, eg breaking red lights (often by using the footpath as a high-speed bypass) and cycling unlit at night. Often these illegal and very annoying behaviours will be engaged in simutaneously, and under the nose of supposed law enforcers. I have heard Gardai saying they'd prefer to see unlit cyclists on the footpath rather than on the road at night, and once they're on the footpath they can safely ignore them. Perhaps that could be classed as a harm reduction or pragmatic approach, but in any case I think it's symptomatic of our Irish traffic cuture (which I alluded to earlier).

Even if it were true that 80% of cyclists break red lights, it remains the case that the law-abiding 20% (myself among them) deserve protection and a better level of service.

Perhaps it is the case that most cyclists ignore traffic lights because most traffic lights ignore cyclists. While cycling in the Netherlands and Copenhagen, for example, I routinely encountered cycle-priority signalised junctions and saw very very few instances of breaking the lights, despite there being hordes of cyclists on the streets.

As with Irish roads engineers and "planners" versus Danish and Dutch ones, so also with Irish road users perhaps?

You're casually ignoring (as usual) the other report showing a 20-40% increase in crashes.

If there was a 40%, or 20%, decrease in accident figures in a year you'd be singing the RSA's praises from the rooftops, yet when it doesn't tie up with what you want to believe, you ignore it.

1. You were the first to mention those "horrifically dangerous" dangerous turbo roundabouts in this thread.

2. The other webpage refers to a 20-40% higher accident rate on Turbo versus single-lane roundabouts.

3. The abstract of designer Lambertus Fortuijn's 2009 paper, Turbo Roundabouts: Design Principles and Safety Performance specifically highlights the overall advantages of Turbo Roundabouts versus signalised junctions, yield junctions and concentric two-lane roundabouts, and allows for a reduction in the safety dividend of Turbo Roundabouts over time compared to single lane roundabouts.
    While concentric two-lane roundabouts have a higher capacity than single-lane roundabouts, they have the disadvantage of a higher driving speed through the roundabout. They also reintroduce the possibility of lane changing on the roundabout and hence raise the risk of accidents. The author developed the turbo roundabout in 1996 in an attempt to deal with these drawbacks. This type of roundabout has the following features: no lane changing on the roundabout, no need to yield to traffic on more than two lanes, and low driving speed through the roundabout because of raised lane dividers. This paper discusses the concept of the turbo roundabout and the details determining success. Studies have shown that the risk of accidents associated with injury is greatly reduced on turbo roundabouts: an 80% reduction has been measured. In view of the known safety trends on single-lane roundabouts, it is recommended that a slightly lower reduction in the accident rate (70%) should be assumed in the long term. Another great advantage of the turbo roundabout is the fact that the traffic flow can be divided over the lanes of the roundabout in a much more balanced way. Since 2000, 70 turbo roundabouts have been built in the Netherlands. The Dutch Information and Technology Platform (CROW) published its guidelines on turbo roundabouts in April 2008.
    4. This thread is not about Dutch-style Turbo Roundabouts versus Dutch-style single lane roundabouts. It's about traffic signals versus the typical Irish high-speed multi-lane roundabouts which are dangerous and intimidating for cyclists and pedestrians and which even many Irish motorists are scared of and confused about. If I'm offered a signalised junction versus an Irish high-speed multi-lane roundabout then I will chose the traffic lights every time.

5. We are not being offered Dutch-style single-lane or Turbo roundabouts in this country, and perhaps we never will be. In the meantime, any discussion on the topic is academic. If you want to debate it -- and I'd say it would be an interesting topic -- I suggest that you start a separate thread in this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Given the hostility within it and the reported posts that it has generated, I have reviewed this thread. The following posts are the most troublesome. I'll tell you why.
    I was considering a reply until I read the bilge in bold above. Then I lost the will to respond to such garbage.

An example of antagonistic and inflammatory language. Please use less hostile language when making points in the future. You're an eloquent poster; you can do better than that. The above post immediately heated up the thread.
    I don't believe you. You have clearly never actually seen or driven through the "Dutch roundabouts" you're claiming are somehow safer for pedestrians and cyclists. You're fed by statistics, selective ones at that, and when anything is provided contrary to what you want to believe you make grand claims about there being too much data to read.

You really, really are not worth the time of day at this stage. One sided, anti-car campaigner and nothing more.

MYOB, you have been told before not to baldly claim that other people are lying. Choose your words more carefully please, and attack the post, not the poster. Also, telling someone that they are not worth the time of day is not OK.
    MODERATOR where are you, I know of no other forum where such behavior towards other posters is tolerated. Is there a 'jail' facility on BOARDS ?

A poster with a similar attitude was permanently banned a couple of years ago from another forum I am active on.

I am not very interested in contributing to the topic of this thread as drawing from my own personal experience of extensive travel, which extends over 40 years, in the UK and mainland Europe much of the contributions appear very subjective and some of the contributors appear to have little actual experience of driving conditions and road infrastructure design in Europe.

This moderator was travelling for much of yesterday :) If you want to ask for moderator intervention, please report the post. When you report a post, we receive an instant email notification. When you post on a thread asking where the moderators are, we're not going to be notified that there is a problem. We simply do not have time to read every post on every thread in the forum. Also, more posts by users such as you will improve the forum by diversifying it, so please contribute.
    I know of no other forum where a troll would be allowed last as long as IWH has on here.

MYOB, this is unacceptable. You cannot call another poster a troll. Period. (Iwannahurl's posts are the antithesis of trolling - they are well-written, make use of links and images, and are engaging. This is not the behaviour of a troll.) I am going to amend the charter to make it a bannable offence to call another user a troll.
    Im not a mod but i dont see anything wrong with the guy forming an opinion on you based on your posts.

See above.

Tremelo wrote: »
    Given the hostility within it and the reported posts that it has generated, I have reviewed this thread. The following posts are the most troublesome. I'll tell you why.

An example of antagonistic and inflammatory language. Please use less hostile language when making points in the future. You're an eloquent poster; you can do better than that. The above post immediately heated up the thread.

OK, fair cop.

I do lose the head occasionally (when provoked!) and get myself -- and threads -- into trouble. Apologies.

1. You were the first to mention those "horrifically dangerous" dangerous turbo roundabouts in this thread.

You brought up "Dutch style roundabouts". Other roundabouts in the Netherlands are the same as here, so it was a fairly informed assumption to take it that you meant turbo roundabouts.

Also, most urban interchanges would not get a multi-lane roundabout due to sheer space issues, so trying to compare accident rates to them is irrelevant. If one is forced in, it becomes incredibly low speed and would, again, have accident rates well below a perceived "safer" turbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Here's a post by GekkePrutser (Dutch perhaps?) in the Galway City forum regarding roundabouts in the Netherlands.

Thanks, now that I know what they are called, yes I have come across them and thought they were a great idea as they put a lot of control in the roundabout and reduced the effects of weaving traffic and if you enter on the wrong lane, tough, (I just had to find a safe place to make a U-turn along my 'new' route :o and was more careful in future).

As for push-bikes, The Netherlands is one of the countries I have felt safest cycling and why wouldn't I, there if a driver collides with a cyclist, no questions asked it's the drivers fault automatically, so they are really careful not to collide with us (speaking with my cycling helmet on). Having said that, I once got 'spoken to' by a policeman after being caught running a red light on a cycle path :eek:

You brought up "Dutch style roundabouts". Other roundabouts in the Netherlands are the same as here, so it was a fairly informed assumption to take it that you meant turbo roundabouts.

Also, most urban interchanges would not get a multi-lane roundabout due to sheer space issues, so trying to compare accident rates to them is irrelevant. If one is forced in, it becomes incredibly low speed and would, again, have accident rates well below a perceived "safer" turbo.

1. I think the specific safety question regarding Dutch Turbo versus 2-lane versus single-lane roundabouts (a) has already been answered and (b) is irrelevant in the Irish context anyway since they're not on offer here.

2. Are you claiming that standard Dutch roundabouts typically or often do not provide segregated and/or priority facilities for cyclists and pedestrians? Or are you claiming that Irish roundabouts typically or often do provide such facilities? In any case, can you back up/illustrate what you're stating with links, pics etc? I'd be very interested in seeing examples of Irish-style cycle-hostile multi-lane roundabouts in the Netherlands, or Dutch-style cycle-friendly roundabouts in Ireland. This issue is relevant in Ireland, and to the OP's original question, since what seems to be generally on offer in this country is either traffic signals, or (often multi-lane) roundabouts that fail to provide adequately for cyclists and pedestrians.

standard roundabouts in the Netherlands are by and large identical to Ireland. Small single lane ones in urban areas have no cycle facilities, like here, and large ones may depending on where they are... Like here.

There is no fantastic cycle friendly small roundabout nor do all large ones have segregated cycle lanes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

2. Are you claiming that standard Dutch roundabouts typically or often do not provide segregated and/or priority facilities for cyclists and pedestrians? Or are you claiming that Irish roundabouts typically or often do provide such facilities? In any case, can you back up/illustrate what you're stating with links, pics etc? I'd be very interested in seeing examples of Irish-style cycle-hostile multi-lane roundabouts in the Netherlands, or Dutch-style cycle-friendly roundabouts in Ireland. This issue is relevant in Ireland, and to the OP's original question, since what seems to be generally on offer in this country is either traffic signals, or (often multi-lane) roundabouts that fail to provide adequately for cyclists and pedestrians.

I am Dutch myself and I don't agree that the non-'turbo' roundabouts (which are still found in plenty in Holland), are the same as the Irish ones in terms of cyclist safety. They're not the same. At least not in Galway, I don't drive around the rest of the country enough to comment on that.

In Galway whenever there is a cycle lane, it usually just 'ends' at the roundabout, leaving the cyclist either to run across with the bike in hand at the pedestrian crossing (having to run between the gaps in cars as they have no right of way), or to mingle with the cars. Some cyclists even take the inside lane, with the cars zooming past all around them.

I have never seen that in Holland, not on major roundabouts. Sure, you get the tiny slow one here and there inside the towns in residential zones where cars and bikes might be mixed, but not on major ones. On those the cycle lanes are always separate, either around the roundabout (and having right of way or lights to cross the access paths for the cars) or completely separate, having their own little crossroads a few hundred yards away from the roundabout. Those would usually have lights on demand so the cars can be stopped if necessary.

But asides from road provisions I think it's also an attitude thing. As another poster said, cyclists are safer from cars in Holland because they'll never get the blame. This is mainly due to insurance reasons (there is no cyclist insurance so nobody would pay for the damage in such a case) but it helps to get the drivers to watch out more. They also get right of way at most unsignalised roundabouts, which helps to slow down the car traffic and I personally believe it's fair to let the most fragile road users go first. Finally they're exposed to the weather so having to wait is more of an inconvenience to them than to a driver in their comfortable car.

Drivers in Holland are always mindful for bicycles, of course there's so many of them and as someone else said, they're not very good road users. They run red lights, cross from the wrong side, have people sitting on the back. And nobody wears helmets (you'd look like a tool wearing one, really). You see this especially in the major cities. In fact it's the generally preferred mode of transport when intoxicated so it's especially important to take care driving on friday and saturday nights. Basically the cyclists are the kings of the road. Here's a very funny analysis of Dutch cycling habits by a guy from San Francisco. Always makes me laugh how much he's amazed by it.

I personally don't even feel very safe driving on some of the Galway roundabouts due to the high speed and short distance margins that are usually observed on them. I think a roundabout only works well if the traffic is fairly even from all sides and the Galway ones usually have a very strong flow from one entrance to a certain exit during peak times, leaving drivers at the other entrances with few chances to enter, making them very eager to rush in when there's the tiniest gap. This is why I've always been in favour of replacing them with lights even though it would increase my driving time a bit.

I'd really love to cycle to work but I would have to cross five major roundabouts, and that's just too dangerous the way it is now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

standard roundabouts in the Netherlands are by and large identical to Ireland. Small single lane ones in urban areas have no cycle facilities, like here, and large ones may depending on where they are... Like here.

There is no fantastic cycle friendly small roundabout nor do all large ones have segregated cycle lanes.

Can you define 'standard' and 'small' in this context?

Can you point to many Dutch examples which are like their Irish counterparts?

Drivers in Holland are always mindful for bicycles, of course there's so many of them and as someone else said, they're not very good road users. They run red lights, cross from the wrong side, have people sitting on the back. And nobody wears helmets (you'd look like a tool wearing one, really). You see this especially in the major cities. In fact it's the generally preferred mode of transport when intoxicated so it's especially important to take care driving on friday and saturday nights. Basically the cyclists are the kings of the road. Here's a very funny analysis of Dutch cycling habits by a guy from San Francisco. Always makes me laugh how much he's amazed by it.

That confirms my own impression: cyclists are "kings of the road" in the Netherlands. In my experience (obviously minimal compared to your own) cyclists have by far the best level of service, certainly compared to pedestrians anyway. Once when I was trying to find a way up some steps with a buggy in Zaandam, some Dutch people stopped and 'interviewed' me about my experience as a pedestrian. They wanted to know how pedestrian facilities compared to the (excellent) ones for cyclists. Not favourably, I told them, the lack of ramps being the most obvious omission.

I've seen that American webpage before. Hilarious the way he is so gobsmacked by what the Dutch take for granted. What!!!??? They're wearing ordinary clothes! They're carrying children! They're carrying, like, stuff! They have dynamos!

We're not far away from such incredulity and ignorance in Ireland, IMO. It's an inevitable consequence of our car culture, many aspects of which we have blindly and stupidly copied from the US and UK.

monument wrote: »
    Can you define 'standard' and 'small' in this context?

Standard = 2 lane roundabout, medium speed curve, flared entrances
    Small = 1 or very narrow 2 lane roundabout, low speed curve, straight entrances or with a very small divider
    monument wrote: »
    Can you point to many Dutch examples which are like their Irish counterparts?

Take the entire city of Utrecht. Cyclists are either put on to cycle lanes on the perimeter of the roundabout; as is done on modern ones here; or have cycle lanes which end at the yield line and absolutely no priority measures.

There's no magic roundabouts here, just the same as we have here, albeit only on modern builds in the case of the larger ones.

Galway's roundabout fetish as mentioned by the previous poster was in the early 1990s and that's why facilities on them are non-existant and, as the topic of the thread originally was, is also why they've replaced one of the busiest of them with traffic lights (Moneenageesha).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

As a pedestrian, I find busy signal junctions with no filter left slips or traffic dividers a right pain in the backside. Through experience, slip roads allow most people to take traffic streams one at a time thereby saving time. Many of the new signal junctions in Galway seem to have no filter left slips - this is crazy and anti-pedestrian IMO. Pedestrian lights frequently take far too long and inhibit the freedom of both motorists and pedestrians (two extremely important considerations IMO) - I usually give way to motor traffic and then cross - sometimes I use the lights.

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Personally I hate roundabouts - especially at busy intersections,

- Most drivers don't know what lane to be in on approach (as shown in an infamous Motors thread last year)
    - Most don't know what lane to be in ON the roundabout and frequently almost side-swipe you as they rive around oblivious or realise too late their mistake
    - Most don't indicate at all, indicate incorrectly or too late
    - No one gives way or even a bit of common courtesy so it's a massive free-for-all

Signalled junctions every time please!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Take the entire city of Utrecht.

Right...

Those two aren't comparable at all.

In the Dutch example cyclists and people walking have marked out and signed priority, while in the Irish one the yield signs are positioned in a way that cars stop when cyclists and walkers are supposed to cross with no lights and reduced priority near cars coming onto and off a motorway.

In the Irish example, cyclists have to stop a good bit and do a few 90 degree turns. And the Dutch example is urban and nowhere near a motorway.

Also -- very importantly -- the nearby network of side roads and cycle track in the Dutch example are by-directional on both sides of the roads around the roundabout. That's compared to fairly narrow, non-segregated one-directional footpath / cycle lane in the Irish example.

Err... while that design likely isn't the highest of standards there, the inside line around the roundabout is a cycle track. The two side streets there also are 30km zones.

There's no magic roundabouts here, just the same as we have here, albeit only on modern builds in the case of the larger ones.

I'm confused at how you think that the Irish and Dutch examples you compared, or in general, are anyway comparable examples.

Advertisement