Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Dating

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I'd like to have some from there to answer!! ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,260 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I'm off to join a Nunery or maybe i'll become the first female priest in the sunny south east :D Hope the parish wont mind if i switch mass times around F1, Nascar and Indycar :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭smurfy89

Does anyone else ever feel slightly embarrassed when they see people they know on dating websites?
    I know it's stupid seeing as they are on it too but anytime I see someone I recognise I suddenly feel shame :o

Last time it happened it was a guy from my class in college (there are only 4 of us in the class most the time) .... then a week later he went on to message me. I have absolutely no interest in the guy at all so I feel bad now, especially cuz I couldn't bring myself to reply.

Hopefully he will have forgotten about it by the next time I see him in September :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Kilough

Hi,

I've just joined POF and was wondering has anybody got any helpful hints to getting a reply off the fairer sex?! I would consider myself a reasonable catch, and I try and use some sort of wit in my initial messages but the ladies aint taking the bait..

Any particular time of day, opening message, type of profile that might interest the ladies? Any tips appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Been chatting to a really lovely girl on OKC for a while now. Amazing smile and seems to have a great personality.

Provided the conversation keeps flowing, I may ask her out on a date tomorrow. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

smurfy89 wrote: »
    Does anyone else ever feel slightly embarrassed when they see people they know on dating websites?
    I know it's stupid seeing as they are on it too but anytime I see someone I recognise I suddenly feel shame :o

Last time it happened it was a guy from my class in college (there are only 4 of us in the class most the time) .... then a week later he went on to message me. I have absolutely no interest in the guy at all so I feel bad now, especially cuz I couldn't bring myself to reply.

Hopefully he will have forgotten about it by the next time I see him in September :eek:

Ya that happens.I wouldnt worry too much about it anyway!

Ya that happens.I wouldnt worry too much about it anyway!

Ugh, I feel bad though. Had no idea what to say back to him so just ignored him :o
    And now I'm trying to avoid him on facebook!

There just aren't enough people using it in my area. Very annoying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Ugh, I feel bad though. Had no idea what to say back to him so just ignored him :o
    And now I'm trying to avoid him on facebook!

Ah if he mentions it again, just say you didn't know what to say back to him and got a bit embarrassed.
    There just aren't enough people using it in my area. Very annoying :(

I looked at your location and laughed. :D

Hurrah. I'm easy to talk to and a "bright light in an otherwise shítty day.".

/strokes ego

Now I'm off to bed to stroke other things....... :pac:

Larianne wrote: »
    I looked at your location and laughed. :D

It's true.. not quite in the middle of nowhere but the bog is basically right outside my door :p

There seem to be very few people from Mayo on POF or OkCupid. The majority of people who message me seem to be all at least 2 hours away :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

It's true.. not quite in the middle of nowhere but the bog is basically right outside my door :p

There seem to be very few people from Mayo on POF or OkCupid. The majority of people who message me seem to be all at least 2 hours away :(

Always Lisdoonvarna!:pac: Wasn't someone organising date weekends in the West were you went as a group to one of the remote islands for a long weekend do I think most were tourists looking to meet locals and settle in magical Eire.

Or you could take a leaf from the Sephardic Jews, they meet their intended partner for an hour and if they like each other they get married. Save on all that driving and no hassle about splitting the date bills :P

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Or you could take a leaf from the Sephardic Jews, they meet their intended partner for an hour and if they like each other they get married. Save on all that driving and no hassle about splitting the date bills :P

:eek: An hour and they decide whether or not to marry them?! Creepy! Sounds like some of the guys I've been on dates with though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭flatnn

Got a mail this morning from some girl in St.Louis Missouri...

"you're very handsome ;) just a passing thought i felt i should share with you from across the pond."

nice start to the day :p

That's a nice kick off alright.

At least she acknowledges that she's a merry-can.

I get them all the time on the paid site i'm on, complete with bad spelling terrible english, and a personal mail address. Someday i must respond to them, using my Prince Naseem Hamad Mubarak of The Greater Bank Of The Nigerian Commerce Authority login

One thing I've noticed that's kinda annoying (and probably just a filter change or something) is that when i mail someone for the first time on OKC it gives me suggestions of other profiles.......from America!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Denisejcc wrote: »
    it always surprises me the amount of people (guys and girls) who have photos up of them with someone of the opposite sex. Personally I find it offputting if a guy has a photo up and hes draped around a hot girl.

I don't find it offputting at all. Heaven forbid someone should have friends of the opposite sex. Double forbid said friends may be good looking people.
    Grr, any girl I get with must be an unspoiled virgin who has never so much as met another man!
    That_Guy wrote: »
    /strokes ego

Now I'm off to bed to stroke other things....... :pac:

Your goatee?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

flatnn wrote: »
    Got a mail this morning from some girl in St.Louis Missouri...

"you're very handsome ;) just a passing thought i felt i should share with you from across the pond."

nice start to the day :p

Er...she messaged me with the exact same!

Why can't they be from Dublin arrrgghhh!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

She will be wanting to come and visit next -send me money for air fare and I love you long time! :D

Time to break out my Prince Naseem Hamad Mubarak of The Greater Bank Of The Nigerian Commerce Authority alter ego!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I got that message too! :confused::eek::o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

kingtut wrote: »
    I got that message too! :confused::eek::o

:(

I feel so left out...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

she must know I'm skint, I don't get one.

Got one about a year ago, and kept mailing back making arrangements and then pulling out, kept it going for about four months, it was a bit of amusement. Whats the miniumum you can send by western union? it'd be a pain in the balls for them to go and collect one cent:D

Novella wrote: »
    :(

I feel so left out...!

If it helps I didn't get any from you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

kingtut wrote: »
    If it helps I didn't get any from you :(

If it makes you feel better, nobody has gotten any from me!

Feck it anyway, I said a few days ago I'd give this thing a break, then along comes really nice girl, we seem like a good match so got texting, now she wants to call me.
    Thing is I'd figured I was propably better off staying single for a bit and enjoying me time and get my head together.
    Get on well, both single parents and being through similiar stuff.

Now, if someone else posted this I'd tell them go for it, but when the shoe is on the other foot:mad::mad::mad:

Novella wrote: »
    If it makes you feel better, nobody has gotten any from me!

But I'll be the first when you do send some right? :);)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Gillo wrote: »
    Thing is I'd figured I was propably better off staying single for a bit and enjoying me time and get my head together.

Now, if someone else posted this I'd tell them go for it, but when the shoe is on the other foot:mad::mad::mad:

You dont have anything to lose. Meet her for a drink you never know. You dont have to marry her!

lol I'm seperated at the moment, if I did that'd be a right barrell of laughs

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Feck it anyway, I said a few days ago I'd give this thing a break, then along comes really nice girl, we seem like a good match so got texting, now she wants to call me.

Scaredy cat!

Go for it. No pressure on either of you. If anything, you could become good friends and given that you've been through similar circumstances it could be like a type of support pillar for one another.

Nobody's saying you have to date this girl right away or anything. No harm in having a new person to talk to.

Nothing to lose my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

I was on a site (pof) and I only had 1 decent picture of myself, taken about 5 yrs ago. I got loads of messages but I was a little worried because in the meanwhile I had put on some weight and my hair had started to go grey.

I got a mate to take a new pic of the "new" me and replaced the picture on my profile. My messages doubled ! ! So now, dont be worryin about that bald patch or the belly just be yourself and no spoofin because you will be caught out especially if you are chattin with a few. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement