Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renunciation Log.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭deirdre_dub

Asry wrote: »
    When he said 'do this in memory of me', as regards the bread and wine...maybe he just meant eating? We eat every day, so every time we eat we do it with thanks to Jesus for our continued life and faith? Or something?
    Every second of every day can be an act of honouring the divine, if you so choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

I admit that I am afraid. I know that I could be sanctioning my own condemnation into eternal hell, but to be frank, it's not hell I'm worried about right now. It's my life. I'm coming to think that the mental ill-health issues I have been experiencing for over a decade might very well come down to what I have been trained (brainwashed?) to believe about myself.

I personally was born and raised Catholic in what I would consider a very strong active Catholic Family. My Irish father originally wanted to be a priest when he immigrated to NZ, my Kiwi mothers has Dutch Catholic parentage. When my Grandmothers brother was having a crisis of faith as a Catholic Priest and came out to visit NZ my Grandmother convinced him to stay with he priesthood, he was a priest for 60years before he passed away. My parents and Grandparents (in their early 80s) have always been actively involved in the church, from leading youth groups in the 1970s (That’s how my folks got together) Renewal groups in the 1980s, Reading and Eucharistic ministers. Providing support, guidance and training courses to people either considering converting to Catholism, and couples going through the churches marriage process. The small village parish I was bourn into has not had a Parish Priest for about 5years now, my grandmother leads a certain type of service during the week, delivers communion to the sick and elderly (even when she is flattened with the flu!) My father reads "canon law" in the bath to unwind! (Usually while listening to Irish twee music!)

From this strong background my Parents, and grandparents over the last few years have all started questioning certain aspects of the Catholic Church. A lot is to do with what has happened in our own family as much as the scandals within the church. For example me coming out as Lesbian, (Which the fully accept, my mother now believes that as long as her children are happy in their lives that is all you can ask for.) My sister taking up with a divorced man and raising his child, my brother having a son out of wedlock. My grandmother also has issues around her role in the church as a woman. She is running the local parish and carrying out all duties she is allowed, as a woman, to carry out and I think would love to be a priest herself. I think as a Dutch woman who grew up under German occupation, that she may have a difficulty accepting a German Pope. (This is a bit of a side issue here though.)

My parents even went as far as to consider changing faiths, but they felt that any other organisation could have the same or similar issues and that by leaving the Catholic Church does nothing to fix the problems within and without the churchy. Presently they are involved in a group organised by a local nun (who makes my Gaydar tweak a bit) that is involved in questioning the bases of Catholic faith and trying to change the church from the ground roots up, and the inside out.

Any way, what I meant to say is that you are taking the word of other humans with all their failings and faults as the truth that you will be
    condemned into eternal hell.
    My thoughts would be that maybe the God you believe in is above such petty human failings? Maybe your God will accept you still, and bring you to the Almighty Bosom for demonstrating your faith and being willing to think about what you believe in, not just blindly following what some other human told you was the path to Eternal Life? Myself I don’t lean anyway in faith any more. I go to church for weddings funerals and anniversaries for the sake of others, but would prefer not to go.

Maybe there Is a similar group in you parish or a near by parish to the one my parents are involved in? That could help you also bring change to a church which seems to mean a lot to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Asry

There are organisations I could get involved in, but to be honest, as a lay woman, I feel I will not be listened to or, if I was, I wouldn't be taken seriously. Like your grandmother (maybe), I genuinely do feel I have a vocation to the priesthood, which of course is nonsense, as I can't because of my gender. Talk about disenfranchisement.

In fairness though, the RCC do base their views entirely on the Bible itself, where it states very clearly, many times, why homosexuality is morally wrong and unnatural.

As a side note, here's interesting wiki on 'Ego-dystonic Sexual Orientation':

I just emailed the entire following text to a friend. I find it very informative, and I can definitely see their point. It should have made me angry but oddly I find myself agreeing, and somewhat placated. Are the key points of the document right, or am I in some form of repressed denial (the way some of my friends keep telling me I am! :D)?

EXTRACTS FROM "Ministry to Persons with a Homosexual Inclination:
    Guidelines for Pastoral Care"

Issued by USCCB, November 14, 2006
    Copyright © 2006, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops

[Entire Text:
    http://www.usccb.org/doctrine/Ministry.pdf]

The Bible and All

Jesus taught that “from the
    beginning of creation, ‘God made them male and female. For this reason a man shall leave his
    father and mother [and be joined to his wife], and the two shall become one flesh’” (Mk 10:6-8).
    The purpose of sexual desire is to draw man and woman together in the bond of marriage,
    a bond that is directed toward two inseparable ends: the expression of marital love and the
    procreation and education of children. “The spouses’ union achieves the twofold end of
    marriage: the good of the spouses themselves and the transmission of life.”
    This is the order of
    nature, an order whose source is ultimately the wisdom of God.

Immorality:

The fact that homosexual acts are
    immoral may never be used to justify violence or unjust discrimination. p14

More Immorality:

Because of both Original Sin and personal sin, moral disorder is all too common in our
    world. There are a variety of acts, such as adultery, fornication, masturbation, and contraception,
    that violate the proper ends of human sexuality. Homosexual acts also violate the true purpose of
    sexuality. They are sexual acts that cannot be open to life. Nor do they reflect the
    complementarity of man and woman that is an integral part of God’s design for human
    sexuality.
    Consequently, the Catholic Church has consistently taught that homosexual acts “are
    contrary to the natural law. . . . Under no circumstances can they be approved.”

***REALLY IMPORTANT***

It is crucially important to understand that saying a person has a particular inclination that
    is disordered is not to say that the person as a whole is disordered. Nor does it mean that one has
    been rejected by God or the Church. Sometimes the Church is misinterpreted or misrepresented
    as teaching that persons with homosexual inclinations are objectively disordered, as if everything
    about them were disordered or rendered morally defective by this inclination. Rather, the
    disorder is in that particular inclination, which is not ordered toward the fulfillment of the natural
    ends of human sexuality.

We are all damaged by the effects of sin, which causes desires to become disordered.
    Simply possessing such inclinations does not constitute a sin, at least to the extent that they are
    beyond one’s control. Acting on such inclinations, however, is always wrong.

Anti-Gay Violence

In keeping with this conviction, the Church teaches that persons with a homosexual
    inclination “must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity.”
    We recognize that
    these persons have been, and often continue to be, objects of scorn, hatred, and even violence in
    some sectors of our society. Sometimes this hatred is manifested clearly; other times, it is
    masked and gives rise to more disguised forms of hatred. “It is deplorable that homosexual
    persons have been and are the object of violent malice in speech or in action. Such treatment
    deserves condemnation from the Church’s pastors wherever it occurs.”

This bit's kind of long, but it's about Western culture and homosexuality:

The Church’s teaching on homosexuality is attentive to the natural law imprinted in
    human nature and faithful to the Sacred Scriptures. This teaching offers a beacon of light and
    hope in the midst of considerable confusion, intense emotion, and much conflict. Within our
    culture, however, there are various obstacles that make it more difficult for some people to
    recognize the wisdom contained in this teaching
    At the same time, there are features specific to contemporary Western culture that inhibit
    the reception of Church teaching on sexual issues in general and on homosexuality in particular.
    For example, there is a strong tendency toward moral relativism in our society. Many do not
    admit an objective basis for moral judgments. They recognize no acts as intrinsically evil but
    maintain that judgments of good and bad are entirely subjective. In this view, matters of sexual
    morality should be left for individuals to decide according to their own preferences and values,
    with the only restriction that they not cause manifest harm to another individual.
    Because Church teaching insists that there are objective moral norms, there are those in
    our culture who portray this teaching as unjust, that is, as opposed to basic human rights. Such
    claims usually follow from a form of moral relativism that is joined, not without inconsistency,
    to a belief in the absolute rights of individuals. In this view, the Church is perceived as
    promoting a particular prejudice and as interfering with individual freedom.
    In fact, the Church actively asserts and promotes the intrinsic dignity of every person. As
    human persons, persons with a homosexual inclination have the same basic rights as all people,
    including the right to be treated with dignity. Nevertheless “‘sexual orientation’ does not
    constitute a quality comparable to race, ethnic background, etc., in respect to nondiscrimination.”
    Therefore, it is not unjust, for example, to limit the bond of marriage to the
    union of a woman and a man. It is not unjust to oppose granting to homosexual couples benefits
    that in justice should belong to marriage alone. “When marriage is redefined so as to make other
    relationships equivalent to it, the institution of marriage is devalued and further weakened. The
    weakening of this basic institution at all levels and by various forces has already exacted too high
    a social cost.”

Another common characteristic of Western societies that poses an obstacle to the
    reception of Church teaching is the widespread tendency toward hedonism, an obsession with the
    pursuit of pleasure. This tendency is closely related to the consumerism of our culture, which
    promotes an approach to life that is marked by a concern to maximize pleasure. Viewed from
    this perspective, sexual relations are seen as simply another form of pleasure. Promiscuity is
    regarded as not only acceptable but normal. The virtue of chastity becomes incomprehensible. It
    can even appear to be an unhealthy and unnatural denial of pleasure. Moreover, there are many
    in our society, particularly in the advertising and entertainment industries, who make enormous
    profits by taking advantage of this tendency and who work to promote it by their actions.
    Given such strong influences in our culture, it is not surprising that there are a number of
    groups active in our society that not only deny the existence of objective moral norms but also
    aggressively seek public approval for homosexual behavior. The message of such groups
    misleads many people and causes considerable harm. In the face of this challenge the Church
    must continue her efforts to persuade people through rational argument, the witness of her life,
    and the proclamation of the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

I've just learned on the After Hours forum that I can no longer renounce my inclusion in the Catholic Church.

My reply was along the lines of

*&^$£!!!

I feel trapped, as if I was in a cave or something and the light from the little tunnel out has just been filled in. Again I say
    *&^$£!!!

What the frock am I supposed to do now? I've been completely screwed!! There's actually no way out of here, out of this. I can't ask to leave and I can't walk away because I will *always have been baptised and confirmed*. I made my confirmation of my own free will!

GOD DAMN YOU 12 YEAR OLD ASRY.

Even if I just decide, screw it, I'll just never go back...I'll still know in my head or whatever that I'm actually just a really crap Catholic, and that's all I'd amount to...and eventually go to Hell forever.

(&%!"O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Well if the Catholic God exists and is all knowing and whatnot surely he would know you want to renounce your faith and therefore oyu would no longer be Catholic in his eyes?

Then again what do I know? My own religious beliefs have gotten a bit confusing and complicated of late.

• Advertisement

Well if the Catholic God exists and is all knowing and whatnot surely he would know you want to renounce your faith and therefore oyu would no longer be Catholic in his eyes?

Then again what do I know? My own religious beliefs have gotten a bit confusing and complicated of late.

I don't know if it works that way :s Maybe I should talk to my priest? Or one of them? There's like 3 in Malahide or something. Or more? Je ne sais pas, I'm only thinking of the village church, not the Seabury one as well......

And yeah, things are really confusing and complicated lately. What is WITH that anyway! Come on, Universe, stop messing us about here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

I used to mod the spirituality forum, tell me your sins child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

What the hell did they go and do that for?! It makes no sense to me?

The only reference to confirmation is that you can't get married without it, everything else is baptismal so basically you had no choice going in and now have no option to get out, feck, I thought my catholic membership was effectively on hiatus without a confirmation...

It seems that everything is quite up in the air, that people are unsure as to whether this actually applies to anything other than a few specific marriage issues, but knowing the CC it mightn't be clarified for ages, still, there is hope yet.

They've completely suspended all pending submissions for defection and everything's basically on hold.

ARRGHGHHH!!

What's the opposite of baptism? Could one somehow...unbaptise...oneself? :rolleyes:

Kanoe wrote: »
    I used to mod the spirituality forum, tell me your sins child.

Oh I daren't, you might like it too much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There is also the possibility of excommunication latae sententiae.

Oh I daren't, you might like it too much.
    I modded parrotsnormal too, I might be able to help exorcise your demons as a bonus.

in response to your dilemma, as an Irish citizen there is nothing prohibiting me from acquiring citizenship of another country, all I have to do is live there for an amount of time or fulfill other obligations that entitle me to it and there is no clause which requires me to renounce my Irish citizenship in order to do so. Your religion is much the same.

There is also the possibility of excommunication latae sententiae.

Hmmm. Which one to choose, there are ever so many ways :rolleyes: I think the difference between walking out with my dignity and being kicked out via excommunication is infinitesimal here. Good idea though.

From wiki:
    In religion, the charge of schism is distinguished from that of heresy, since the offence of schism concerns not differences of belief or doctrine but promotion of, or the state of, division,[1] but schisms frequently involve mutual accusations of heresy. In Roman Catholic teaching, every heresy is a schism.[2] However, the Presbyterian scholar James McCord (quoted with approval by the Episcopalian bishop of Virginia Peter Lee) drew a distinction between them, teaching: "If you must make a choice between heresy and schism, always choose heresy. As a schismatic, you have torn and divided the body of Christ. Choose heresy every time.""]In religion, the charge of schism is distinguished from that of heresy, since the offence of schism concerns not differences of belief or doctrine but promotion of, or the state of, division,[1] but schisms frequently involve mutual accusations of heresy. In Roman Catholic teaching, every heresy is a schism.[2] However, the Presbyterian scholar James McCord (quoted with approval by the Episcopalian bishop of Virginia Peter Lee) drew a distinction between them, teaching: "If you must make a choice between heresy and schism, always choose heresy. As a schismatic, you have torn and divided the body of Christ. Choose heresy every time."

So that leaves us with Heresy. Again, wiki says:
    Some of the doctrines of Protestantism that the Catholic Church considers heretical are the belief that the Bible is the only source and rule of faith ("sola scriptura"), that faith alone can lead to salvation ("sola fide") and that there is no sacramental, ministerial priesthood attained by ordination, but only a universal priesthood of all believers.

I do kind of believe that though. A universal priesthood. The Bible as the source of faith, meaning by extension, an allowance for different interpretations of the text? Or not? And I already don't really believe in transubstantiation. Or consubstantiation for that matter.

Does that mean I'm already a heretic?

I modded parrotsnormal too, I might be able to help exorcise your demons as a bonus.

in response to your dilemma, as an Irish citizen there is nothing prohibiting me from acquiring citizenship of another country, all I have to do is live there for an amount of time or fulfill other obligations that entitle me to it and there is no clause which requires me to renounce my Irish citizenship in order to do so. Your religion is much the same.

I have been considering other countries. The climates there are so much better than this one, you know, where there is nothing but RAIN. {mmm metaphorical}

But which country? I've been thinking of all of them and rejecting all of them because I see them as going against my belief system...which is rigidly Catholic.

It's been suggested I need a cult deprogrammer :D

Or Catholic detox!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

a person who uses physical force against the Pope

Sorted Asry, you just have to throw a rock at the popemobile.
    The Bible as the source of faith, meaning by extension, an allowance for different interpretations of the text? Or not?
    Its referring to the fact that in Catholicism you have canon laws, a pope who is infallible and in direct communication with god, saints and other stuff from which you take direction, not all of Catholicism is in the bible. It has nothing really to do with translation, although following a different one to that the church recommends would be defying a source of wisdom outside the bible, so I guess heresy, but only a little one. You're not going to get kicked out for little things like having mildly different beliefs, nearly every catholic has mildly different beliefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Or Catholic detox!

I like this idea myself. I thought I was free of Catholicism for a long time ago but recently it reared it's ugly head again and I can't seem to get it to go away. =P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

Just a question I have...

If you don't believe in the magical acts of the church (jesus being the bread, virgin mary, etc) and you firmly believe the church's teachings to be groundless enough for you to remove yourself from it... why do you care about the church's opinion?

For the next paragraph, assume catholicism and other religions that do not take the word of christ exactly as is, and as the only input... to be wrong, and void.

If the christening had no tangible significance (as no god recognises it), why do you need church approval of excommunication? Doesn't the very status of disbelief in such a ceremony's significance cancel it's assumed effects by default? In other words... if catholicism isn't right, all these ceremonies mean nothing from the perspective of any 'higher beings' and as such can be simply disregarded?

Can't you just stick to your beliefs, and ignore the church completely?

As for my beliefs... If Christ was real, he was an awesome guy and we need more awesome guys like that. But supernatural? Who really cares anyway?
    On that note I need to find a donkey and trade my sandals in for a few loaves and fish. Already got a dozen homies lined up for the shoeless marathon and there's enough nationalities in the mix for us to speak tongues. Dublin's about to get SANCTIFIED!

feel the force Asry and be a Jedi.

Your thread has stirred up a wave of emotions I thought I had successfully dealt with. I was very much spiritually inclined most of my adult life, in the sense that I dedicated myself completely to it, not catholicism specifically but I'm not sure I ever reconciled my sexuality with that part of me, seemingly..as I no longer possess it/express it/participate in it. I feel like I had to choose one over the other. I couldn't figure out what was missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I'm not sure I ever reconciled my sexuality with that part of me, seemingly..as I no longer possess it/express it/participate in it.

It? sorry im not sure whether your referring to your sexuality or spirituality :o

while tending to a drunken lesbian last night I had an epiphany. I'm sure God put her there for a reason. drunken lesbians fix everything.

(it, spirituality)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Ahh :) ok thank you!

I would rather be not allowed to go and be cast out by them as well, than to juts turn my back of my own will and leave because then I'd feel like it was me who was wrong, wanting gender equality and to not be abnormal because I'm gay.

The I could hold my hands up and say OK, I'm absolutely not allowed back unless I recant.

That probably doesn't make sense.

And I couldn't try and kill the Pope, he's an old man!

And yeah, Jesus was pretty rockin. And that's it really - we do need more people like him. And like, if you can just see that, and try your best to be rockin also, then why should it matter if you're gay or a woman or living in sin, or if the Mother of God was intact post-birth, etc ?

I mean, I can say that 'Would God really care who I fall in love with?' till I'm blue in the face, but that won't take away the fact that the Bible states that homosexuality is a sin, and that Canon law enforces that...and that there's absolutely no room allowed for manouvering.

It can be argued though that I'm just a silly girl having a strop and just wanting to take the bits I want from the Bible and leave the bits I don't. But really, why can't we just read the book for ourselves and gather its meaning for us, instead of having to live by some stranger's interpretation of it forever?

And yeah, killer_banana, detox sounds good :D It'd be hard in my house though because there's 2 figurettes of the Virgin, a couple of bottles of Holy Water, a figurette of Christ and 2 little nativity thingies.

Really, when you think about it, my extremely athiest, straight boyfriend really is a keeper.

Primacy of conscience. I know it's used as a get out clause a lot but it is an interesting POV all the same.

I know this was up for discussion before in the Christianity forum but as it relates to Catholic teaching it often gets sideswept under the carpet. (and honestly I've had the discussion so many times it gets more and more difficult to find the motivation every time it comes up ...and I really just don't like arguing :o)
    The Catechism of the Catholic Church, No. 1782, reflects a long-standing tradition in Catholic moral teaching that every person has the right to act in conscience and that no one must be prevented from acting according to one's conscience.

It is a little controversial as a subject but is often applied in other situations, as an example and with some level of understanding here and also you might in interested in the work of Sr Jeannine Gramick which has been primarily based on the principle of Primacy of Conscience.
    Gramick helped to begin three organizations for Catholic lesbian and gay people. In addition, she co-founded (along with Fr. Robert Nugent) New Ways Ministry, a Catholic social justice center working for justice and reconciliation of lesbian/gay people with the institutional Catholic Church.

reconciliation! That sounds great. Give me a little LGBT Jesus place of my own, and enter into talks with the Vatican to allow me to come back, please.

Sincerely,

Asry

Advertisement