Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Announce FTA Saorsat service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 SandieBeach

When will a suitable LNB be available? And at what sort of price?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

STB wrote: »
    That doent mean it wont be available to anoraks before then!

Apparently one anorak in east Cork is already picking it up and selling the necessary hardware on Adverts:

http://www.adverts.ie/591937

According to the seller:
    ...and yes you can get SoarSat in east cork.

Hmmmmm! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Apparently one anorak in east Cork is already picking it up and selling the necessary hardware on Adverts:

http://www.adverts.ie/591937

According to the seller:

Hmmmmm! :confused:

That's Selfsat (Ku Band) not Saorsat (Ka Band)

When will a suitable LNB be available? And at what sort of price?

No information yet. Later in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭PressTheButton

Ku versus Ka:
    Have asked seller nopzdk on http://www.adverts.ie/591937 to correct information he gave to interested buyer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Ku versus Ka:
    Have asked seller nopzdk on http://www.adverts.ie/591937 to correct information he gave to interested buyer.

Those are rubbish for Ireland. It's only equivalent to a 40 to 42cm. The Ku LNB is integrated and can't be swapped.

No use for Ku in Ireland (except in perfect weather) and will never ever work on Ka band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

http://www.lyngsat.com/eka.html

RTÉ services now apparently available. Anyone able to try it?

Minstrel27 wrote: »

No TV3/3e I see.

Frequency is 20185 with L circular polarisation. What are the pros and cons of circular polarisation over linear?
    xnvubd.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Apogee

Bualadh bos to C Putney whoever he is. The TP parameters (20185MHz, SR 25000) he reports pretty much correspond to the signal the blindscanner picked up (1435MHz [+ LO 18750MHz = 20185 MHz], SR 24995 ) but it failed to lock.

It's the second strongest peak on the spectrum, which temporarily disappeared but then re-appeared again.

9escan.jpg

Will give it a lash again, but the weather is awful. Rain not good for Ka-band.

[edit] I was scratching my head wondering why the signal remained on the scanner when I rotated the LNB through 90 degrees. Which makes perfect sense if it's circular polarisation. We'd assumed all along it was linear polarisation - similar to Hotbird.

Ka-sat layout:
    hb6-ka-freq.png

Hotbird layout:
    tooway-ka-band-frequency-plan.gif

The Cush wrote: »
    No TV3/3e I see.

Frequency is 20185 with L circular polarisation. What are the pros and cons of circular polarisation over linear?

Originally CP was used because the satellites were not in geostationary orbit, so by using CP, rather than LP, eliminated the requirement to have to continually adjust skew at the receive sight.

Probably more relevant to Ka-band, is that rain can 'scatter' the signal by affecting the linear polarisation orientation. No such issue with CP.

You also have the problem of Faraday Rotation which is the rotation of polarisation caused by the earth's magnetic field or magnetic storms. So if your dish is pointed at extreme east (e.g. 1 deg elevation) the earth's field can twist linearly polarised signals, such that the Horiztonal and Vertical signals all appear on your spectrum analyser simultaneously. The issue with magnetic storms explains why CP C-band signals were often used in the USA in particular in the past.

• Advertisement

More robust signal then.

Came across this

All true

Also a CP bird can spin for stabilisation and you won't notice. Only very early satellites.

So Three on the NBS will not be getting existing HB6 Ka customers changed over to Ka-Sat for free. Not just a dish alignment but replace ODU.

At least with CP there is no Skew.

There are two ways to convert Linear Polarised LNB to circular.

Ar'n't y'all glad ye didn't rush out to buy LNBs yet? :)

Right, it's pissing rain here, I don't have a Ka-feedhorn attached, and neither do I have a depolariser, but still the channels are stable.

I've set the LO in the Vu+ to 18750MHz, so a scan on 20185, 25000, 1/2, DVB-S2, QPSK (using 'Eurobird 9E' as the channel holder):

scan.jpg

7 TV channels scan, the rest are radio:
    ka-sat.jpg

There are no live channels yet - all in test mode. RTÉ1NL is a proxy for TV3:
    RTE1NL.jpg

with the TV3 EPG data:
    tv3_epg.jpg

RTÉ2NL is a proxy for 3e:
    3e-epg.jpg

So any guess Apogee how much better signal with proper feedhorn and circular polarised?
    About 9dB more?

What size dish and approx part of Ireland and how far of main axis of dish (i.e. where is dish actually pointed?).

Inquiring minds like to know :)

Great Stuff Apogee. Now I'll have to go beg some money to buy an LNBF.

The Temporary channel looks like a proxy for RTÉjr/One+1

Temporary.jpg

RTÉ News Now is showing a continuous ~5 min loop - note the older style graphics.
    rte_news.jpg

RTÉ2 is showing the HD video loop (tour of Dublin) which we saw previously on DTT with the RTENL DOG
    rtetwo_nl.jpg

SR 25000 QPSK is about 50Mbps raw data. But FEC is an amazing 1/2 rather than 3/4 or 5/6 folk get on Sky...
    So about 25Mbps data, same as Terrestrial DTT Mux as forecast.
    Though DVB-S2 allows APSK and the Tooway uses APSK / ACM, if these parameters stay the same they are aiming for max robustness. You can't get more robust than QPSK and 1/2 FEC except by more EIRP.

Now if we only knew the real spot contours with EIRP we can take rainy day and work out minimum reliable dish size. A figure of 65cm was mentioned to me. But that sounds uber robust. Still while Sky 65cm is fine from Waterford to Athlone and all of Ireland for Astra 2D, the there are one beam each on other Astras and Eurobird that in far South West and North west suggest 80cm is same margin.

65 may be a one size fits all for edge of spot in Donegal and extreme SW.

Indications of video resolutions...

RTÉ One 528x576
    rteone_res.jpg

RTÉ Two (HD) 1440x1080
    rtetwo-res.jpg

TG4 528x576
    tg4-res.jpg

RTÉNL1 528x576
    rte1nl-res.jpg

RTÉNL2 528x576
    rtenews_res.jpg

Temporary 469(!)x576
    rtetemp-res.jpg

RTÉ News Now 528x576
    rtenews_res.jpg

Last pics for today. Not bad for a US$25 Ka-LNB from ebay.

High tech assembly!
    lnb1.jpg

lnb2.jpg

lnb3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

Is there anyway of using a UK freesat box to get this and the UK channels in the same box? (Obviously, I assume you'd have to switch out of Freesat mode)? We currently get Ireland DTT through the Sony's built in MPEG4 tuner and then a freesat box separately.

Like many, I'd love a one-box solution and I'd like to know how the "all satellite" option would compare to an Edison DTT/Sat combo.

It has to be "Freesat HD" not non-HD Freesat, i.e. DVB-S2
    You need a Ka-band LNBF for Left hand Circular polarised
    If you want Freesat also, then it needs to be a box with Disqec support (you need two diseqc switches or a multiswitch for a PVR).

You need either a larger dual/multifeed feed dish or 2nd dish.
    http://www.techtir.ie/node/1003507
    http://www.saortv.info/satellite-saorsat/saorsat-reception/

• Advertisement

@Apogee

Great posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Neffa2

watty wrote: »
    It has to be "Freesat HD" not non-HD Freesat, i.e. DVB-S2
    You need a Ka-band LNBF for Left hand Circular polarised
    If you want Freesat also, then it needs to be a box with Disqec support (you need two diseqc switches or a multiswitch for a PVR).

You need either a larger dual/multifeed feed dish or 2nd dish.
    http://www.techtir.ie/node/1003507
    http://www.saortv.info/satellite-saorsat/saorsat-reception/

Ok, so I have a Humax Foxsat HDR and had a good 80cm dish put up when it was installed.

So I would need another LNB on the dish and run another two cables from that to the Humax? Then I run the box in non-freesat mode? I would only have now and next, correct?

you need the dish re-aligned to point at 19E or 16E and offset the LNBFs for 28E and 9E. It's more likely that 16E is better for 9E but poor for 28E in North west/Southwest. As you offset an LNB the signal is poorer.

You need an LNBF for 9E which isn't generally available. Ka-Band 20.185GHz Left Circular. Also any feed horn may not suit your dish if it's for a custom system.

You need 2x Diseqc switches at dish(es). No extra cables back to Set-box.

You need a sat splitter to feed 2 x Disqec switches from 9E LNBF.

The Terrestrial Freeview HD gear can do full EPG. It's possible the Humax HD PVR might have full EPG. It's less likely the Series Link will work, but you never know. RTE are not transmitting Series link yet.

It's possible the MHEG5 Interactive may work.

There is also a channel editor Addon for Humax.

This is NOT an official service, YET. Other than for experimental purposes like Apogee's excellent work, you are not wise to spend any time or money till the serivce is official and there are final specs.

The Cush wrote: »
    @Apogee

Great posts.

No worries. It's been a long time coming. But I was really looking forward to semper fidelis gracing us with his presence :D
    Does anybody seriously think that for the paltry few thousand subscribers involved in Ireland that Eutelsat are going to waste design time and dollars on producing a special arrangement (if it were possible) so that a few guys in Ireland could get free to air tv

Apogee wrote: »
    No worries. It's been a long time coming. But I was really looking forward to semper fidelis gracing us with his presence :D

Oh yes. He who knows all. I did wonder about him today actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Oh yes. He who knows all. I did wonder about him today actually.

Sometimes I think about you Minstrel. Usually when I'm in the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭dbcool

HI GUYS

right

i have a td 110 and i bought a tooway ka band lnd in prep for this - however the first this is that my tm 6800 will not let me use the 20185 transponder - saying invalid frequency - what receiver are you using?

do you hink the tooway ka band lnb will work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭tmcw

Very nice to see this running, thanks for sharing the info.

Just a quick question; I was looking at Ka-LNBs (not thinking of buying yet, just curiosity), and they seem to be quite large, a feedhorn and a big box attached. Are they likely to get smaller, or are there solutions that might have the box connected behind the dish? I'm just thinking that a Ka-LNB (from what I've seen), along with, maybe 3 other LNBs would be heavy on the end of a dish arm. I know things generally get reduced in size, like the LNB on my Sky dish (an old Grundig) is massive compared to the titchy LNBs I see on new dishes now, but how long did that take?

@dbcool *Any* DVB-S2 HD receiver will do. You just might have to do some sums!

Firstly, check if you can setup a user-defined LNB in Technomate (may be under Antenna Installation). You will have option under one of the headings to change the LO (Local Oscillator) - set this to 18750MHz. When you then go to do a scan, you should be able to enter a frequency of 20185MHz.

If you can't setup a user-defined LNB (you should be able to!), then cheat. Pretend you're using a Universal LNBF. 20185 - 18750 + 9750 = 11185MHz - scan that frequency with SR 25000, FEC 1/2, QPSK, DVB-S2.

Please post pics of your dish and LNB/F if it works!

• Advertisement

Sometimes I think about you Minstrel. Usually when I'm in the shower.

Durrrrty

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement