Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Gaming build - with learning curve

Options
  • 24-03-2011 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭

Sorry for long post, and the newbieish questions but I guess its better than those who post one liners like "Whats the best computer I can make for €1000".

I was going to make a build last year, and was overly enthusiastically speccing the latest in CPUs and Extreme mother boards up to €1500 before losing interest.

I lost interest when I realised that my 7 year old Dimension 9150 (2gRam, 200GB HD, 3.2 CPU, HD 4350 graphics) is still running all the games I actually like to play. Mainly cause I do not play FP shooters which are intensive, but am into my Bioware Games, Sam N Max games. Assassains Creed2 is the most recent game running on it.

I dipped into Fear 1 and 2 and Bioshock and my computer was fine. Not bad for a 7 ish year old investment.

This week Dragon Age 2 is the first game to show my computers age. Win 7 is required to go over “medium” graphics settings due to DirectX and I rather suspect if I install WIN 7 on this old PC it will continue to work find for another few years running all the games I like (Mass Effect 3 will be my likely next purchase).

Even the cheap HD 4350 has been happily running Cryengine on full and dealing with Graphics on Project Entropia for example which I played for awhile before abandoning it out of sheer boredom. It tested my graphics well though with very, very, occasional froze as the GPU caught up. Mostly however I was running through their bizarrely colored landscapes with no issue.

So this time I do not NEED a build but I WANT to build for the learning experience. I have not only never done it but I have never overclocked a CPU, linked graphics cards or set up RAID before. I want to do them all. Swapping in and out basic components is all I have ever done.

So basically I want a cheap build that gives me a learning experience and is superior enough to the D9150 to make it worth building and to keep me in Mass Effect 3 later this year. Since I feel there is a couple years left in the old 9150 yet if I were not to be scrapping it... I imagine that any new build superior to it will last me some time.

Money is not an issue though as I was going to fork out €1500 this time last year and have more saved now… but at the same time I am not going to spend anything unjustified just to have fancy components and would be just as happy with a €500 build if it came in sufficiently superior to my current system.

So here is my thinking and questions and requirements for comment / response / advice / critique from the gurus here:

1) HD 4350 is running fine. But I want to learn how to link cards. So will get another HD 4350 for €35. What rare and little stress my games have put the HD 4350 under will likely be ironed out by this extra power.

2) I would like to overclock a bit, just to learn how. I am reading Intel i5-2500k is the best for this for both results and beginners?

3) A MotherBoard with decent LEDs and/or beeps for helping a beginner like me diagnose problems would be nice as well. I am also lost in the world of understanding the different chipsets. B65, B65 (B3), C206, H61, H61 (B3)... this is all alien to me right now. It would of course have to be compatible with my 2 Graphics card wish, and anything else listed here.

4) I am reading bigger lower latency but “slower mhz” RAM is better than less of the “faster” memory. So 8GB of CL7-8-7-24 (DDR3-1600) is a better investment than things like 6GB of CL9 DDR3-2200). Anyway arent 1155 boards only really happily compatible with up to DDR3-1333? Not sure. "GeIL" are the only CL6 I am seeing at that speed on my local webshop are they good or bad?

5) My Dimension 9150 has a 5 way card reader, a CD writer AND a DVD writer and I have never used any of them except for the one day I wiped XP and put in XP64. Therefore my new build will have NO DRIVES. Don’t want them, don’t want to listen to them, don’t want to waste heat and power on them. Don’t want their wires clogging the inside of my box. I will likely connect one just long enough to install WIN 7 and then ditch it.

6) I will go with a good version of Win 7 and want to run both RAID for basic storage and basic installs etc, but will spend a little extra on a fairly decent SS disk for the OS/boot etc. with good read/write speeds on it.

7) Due to lack of drives case does not need to be massive, but I am fairly open here on appearance and size. Good cooling would be the most important aspect, noise reduction next, and after that size and appearance is ok as long as it is not in any way garish. The location of the case will be such that fans on all sides would be unobstructed, so a case with lots of fans and maybe one side as an open grill would be close to perfect. The contents of the case will be in my mind:

a. The two small graphics cards but with a view to larger ones in future.
    b. SS disk and RAID drives.
    c. Good cooling and fans.
    d. Wireless internal network card (hate USB sticks)
    e. Have lots of Cisco equipment for doing CCNP/CCIE so need to add a card for telnet port etc.
    f. No drives, just USB access.
    g. Decent power unit.

8) Any thing else fun to do that would involve a bit of learning, though nothing too steep or risky.

9) I know Win 7 can switch some processing to the GPU when it sees the chance. Is the HD 4350 compatible with that. Not important, just curious.

Comments / Suggestions / Answers? Given my low requirements is there any advantage at all at looking at smaller cases, cube cases, micro motherboards or any of that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

I seriously doubt your hd 4350 runs the cryengine on "full".

What monitor do you have? An old CRT? you'd still only get a choppy mess of 20fps or less.

Any new fps game will kill your card and putting a 4350 in xfire is laughable. Get a DX11 card with a minimum of 1GB of ram for playing at usefull resolutions.

Sorry for being blunt, but I used to thinkthe same of putting my 8800 in sli, just non-sense when the card was already out dated by 4-5 years.

But builing your own pc is very rewarding, ive built 4 so far each one gets a new generation of something or other. Socket 754 -> AM2 etc.

The i5 2500k seems to be red hot and everybody is ordering it. Make sure you choose an LGA1155 (B3) motherboard. And a P67 chipset if you plan on overclocking not a H67 one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

jme2010 wrote: »
    I seriously doubt your hd 4350 runs the cryengine on "full". Any new fps game will kill your card

I am able to play Entropia on all full settings yes, using the Dell flat screen monitor that came with my computer at the time... dont have model number to hand as I am in work.

And also I do not play "FPS" games as I said except the times I dipped into Bioshock and FEAR for a little while so I am not worried about their performance. The games I aim for are the Bioware kind of games, and the TellTale kind. I have Assassains Creed 2 and Dragon Age 2 now and I dont forsee another purchase until Mass Effect 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

Gah.. a 4350? and no don't crossfire it!! that is not a gaming card, and if you think its 'okay' you are going to be absolutely blown away when you get a normal gaming graphics card

anyway...

The Intel 2500K is such a good chip at the moment that its hard to spec anything else - if you want the best without paying through the nose, then base a system on that - around 800 euros

Likewise, in your case, you could drop the budget to 600 euros and still get a great little machine with an AMD Quad core and a graphics card - will run games about 4 or 5 times faster than your current thing

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭seyeM

The HD4350 is a weak card that's just a step above integrated graphics - see here http://www.anandtech.com/show/2630/4
    I would think you'd need to be playing in near the lowest resolution and detail settings to get playable framerates in most recent games.

You said you have your sights set on having up a multi GPU setup, but for your needs i would strongly recommend a single more powerful graphics card. 4350s in crossfire will still offer pretty poor performance, 2 weaker cards in crossfire generally draw more power then an equivalent single GPU and you will be dependant on good drivers for performance.

A 6850 offers a nice price/performance ratio without breaking the bank, you could even add another at some later date if you're still determined to get crossfire :pac:

This is a 2500k, with one ATI 6850, a motherboard capable of adding another graphics card sometime down the line, 2x1TB HDD, 1x60GB SSD, a good case + CPU cooler and a modular PSU powerful enough to allow the adding of another graphics card. The wireless card I'll leave to you to choose.

Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155

MSI P67A-GD55 (B3), Intel P67, ATX, DDR3

4GB Kit Mach Xtreme Technology Copper DDR3-1333, CL9

Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775W

Powercolor HD6850 1024MB Dual-DVI/HD1M2I5

2x Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)

OCZ SSD 60GB SATA 2,5' Vertex 2 Extended

Cooler Master HAF 912 schwarz, ohne Netzteil

Corsair A70 (Sockel AM2/AM2+/AM3/775/1156/1366)

Arctic Cooling Wärmeleitpaste MX-2 Tube 4g

LogiLink SATA 0.3m Kabel mit Sicherungslasche

LG GH22NS50 bare schwarz

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch

I left in a DVD drive, because one of them with 2 small sata connectors isn't that intrusive, and they really can come in handy when installing and backing up stuff. Comes in at €1000 before the network card and should really last like your last one.

Thanks thats some really good and hard work you just put in. I will read it and all the links closely after this post.

Really the only reason I am aiming for Crossfire is simply because I have never done it before. Remember there are two main targets for my build that are equally important:

1) Is to get something thats better than my computer now... but not much better as to be honest it is serving most of the needs I have already and I am currently happily playing Assassains Creed 2 on it. Main thing I keep thinking is that I do not actually NEED a better computer. I just WANT to build one.

2) To force me to do things I have never done before, and so learn how... which includes linking Graphics Cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

A HD 4350 is about the same power as integrated graphics. It's is certainly not a gaming card. I would not recommend purchasing another one.

There is not much to putting two cards in one system, it fairly simple and straight forward if you already know of to put one card in. I would only go for a Crossfire or SLi system if you want to build a top end gaming machine, otherwise you can get a lower power, lower heat, lower noise single graphics card which preforms the same or better for the same or less money. Basically it makes no sense doing it for the sake of it. It only really becomes a viable option around the GTX 560/HD 6950 which will set you back over €200 each. In that performance range you would be looking to power games at greater than HD resolution, so something like a 2560x1600 monitor or a multi monitor setup.

As other people have mentioned the Intel i5-2500k is the best bang for your buck at the moment and it's a great overclocker. With a good aftermarket cooler and a well ventilated case you can push this baby towards 5 GHZ.

As far a motherboards go, the most important thing to get right it the socket. Different CPU architectures use different socket types with the pins that connect the CPU to the motherboard in different arrangements. The latest line of Intel CPU's use Socket LGA1155, older lines use LGA1156 and LGA1366 and even older lines use LGA775. The latest AMD CPU's use socket AM3 and older ones use socket AM2+/AM2.

Second most important thing to get right is the chipset. Each socket type will normally have several different chipsets that motherboards can use, they usually designed either by Intel, AMD or Nvidia and are then manufactured under licence by the likes of Asus, MSI, Gigabyte etc, and incorporated into their own boards. Each chipset will support different features on the motherboard, e.g. the two chipsets currently available for LGA1155 board are P67 and H67, P67 allows you to overclock the CPU while H67 allows you to use intel integrated graphics. All P67 & H67 chipsets were recalled earlier in the year due to a design fault causing the SATA performance to degrade over time, they were re-released with a slightly modified architecture known as (B3). There will be more chipsets for LGA1155 released in the future.

Third and fourth most important things to look for when selecting a motherboard is the number of expansion slots such as PCI-e and PCI lanes, Crossfire & SLi support, USB3 & SATA6 ports etc, and the overall performance of the board. Look out for benchmarks on hardware site such as http://www.tomshardware.co.uk, http://www.anandtech.com/ and http://www.bit-tech.net/, but usually boards with the same chipset differ only very slightly on performance.

Almost all motherboards will have there own code system of beeps and led's for notifying you of a problem, it's not something to worry about when purchasing a board.

Lower latency memory is very slightly better, but the performance difference is minuscule, if there is not much difference in price it can be worth going for the lower latency memory but it's not something worth paying that much more for. Faster memory used to be important when overclocking older CPU's because you would modify the bus speeds that regulate both the CPU and RAM at the same time and so faster RAM meant higher bus speed which meant higher CPU clock speeds. But on the latest generation of Intel CPU's you don't have to touch the bus speed and so faster memory has very little overall effect.

There are a few different levels of RAID, but the two you would encounter in desktops are mainly RAID 0 and RAID 1. RAID 0 performs what is known as striping, it turns two or more drives in to one virtual drive combing their capacity and giving a speed boost. The danger is that you also combine their tendency to drop dead, if one hard drive in a RAID 0 array dies all the information in the array dies with it. Before the dawn of SSD's it was the only way to significantly improve the read/write performance of your PC but a single SSD far outperforms HDD's in RAID 0.

RAID 1 performs what is known as mirroring. It basically duplicates all data across multiple drives, giving you redundancy if one fails. It's useful for storing very important files that you really do not want to loose. It's being replaced these days by cloud storage for very important files (i.e, internet storage). But if cloud storage is too expensive or not fast enough RAID 1 still has it's uses.

You can put SSD's in a RAID but only if you are made of money.

Ok thanks guys, all this stuff is gold. I knew a good bit of what you just said there Sink especially about the sockets, but a lot of it new too, so all is good. I have gone cross eyed reading Toms Hardware in the last week too before I made this thread.

I am now taking this one component at a time. So far I have fixed on the 2500k CPU and the “HAF 912 plus” case. I had been looking at the HAF 932 anyway when I was considering the i7-960 build last year so the 912 seems to be enough to me!

Now looking at the Motherboard next before anything else. seyeM recommends the MSI P67A GD 55. This I can get for €130 on the site I use here in Germany. Within the same price range for B3/P67 (not more than + 20€) are the following boards… are there any significant advantaged of any of them in terms of things like speed, RAID support or Manufacturer? I have read on Toms Hardware that MSI tend to skimp on quality in order to win price wars?

ASRock P67 Extreme4
    Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P-B3
    ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev 3.0
    MSI P67A-GD65, P67 (B3)
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 Rev 3.0

"ASRock’s P67 Extreme4 had the highest memory overclock and second-best efficiency" according to Toms Hardware in a test of 9 P67 boards though they seem to have erred more towards Gigabytes P67A-UD4 overall but that is closer to €162. Meanwhile for overclocking the CPU they gave the best mark to the ASUS P8P67

I read the ASUS also has an inbuilt bluetooth adapter which is cute.

What sink says about crossfire above is exactly right and well phrased. Anything below a dual GTX 460/ ATI 5770 setup really isn't worth it IMO.

If you percieve the HD4350's performance as acceptable in these recent games, I urge you to go for the €140 ATI 6850. The improvement in FPS/smoothness and the extra graphical detail it will allow really will offer a much better experience.

Plus given you're lookng for a certain amount of future proofing, games are only going to get more hardware intensive as time passes :)

edit to add*

For the P67 motherboards, you should get the B3 revision ones. The initial release had a percentage of boards that suffered problems with the SATA ports over time - the B3 revision fixed this.

Thanks again, you have me mostly convinced on the GPU options, I am going to take that on board. Will check a few toms hardware sites to compare the 6850 to the cards above and below it but it sounds like the best Money/performance option to me too from what little I have read in the last hour.

Out of curiosity why Powercolor? The cheapest I see on my local sites here in Germany are Gigabyte at €129, the Powercolour is €143, and there is a "dual fan" option for €145 from "XFX". Is dual fan at all desirable or just gimmicky?

Right now the MOBO is my focus. Do you see any advantages/disadvantages of the other similarly priced 5 boards listed above compared to the one you yourself just recommended? The ASUS is sounding better for over clocking, USB3 support and the cute little bluetooth thing, but is not sounding the hottest in terms of RAID support.

Ok thanks guys, all this stuff is gold. I knew a good bit of what you just said there Sink especially about the sockets, but a lot of it new too, so all is good. I have gone cross eyed reading Toms Hardware in the last week too before I made this thread.

I am now taking this one component at a time. So far I have fixed on the 2500k CPU and the “HAF 912 plus” case. I had been looking at the HAF 932 anyway when I was considering the i7-960 build last year so the 912 seems to be enough to me!

Now looking at the Motherboard next before anything else. seyeM recommends the MSI P67A GD 55. This I can get for €130 on the site I use here in Germany. Within the same price range for B3/P67 (not more than + 20€) are the following boards… are there any significant advantaged of any of them in terms of things like speed, RAID support or Manufacturer? I have read on Toms Hardware that MSI tend to skimp on quality in order to win price wars?

ASRock P67 Extreme4
    Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P-B3
    ASUS P8P67 Pro Rev 3.0
    MSI P67A-GD65, P67 (B3)
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 Rev 3.0

"ASRock’s P67 Extreme4 had the highest memory overclock and second-best efficiency" according to Toms Hardware in a test of 9 P67 boards though they seem to have erred more towards Gigabytes P67A-UD4 overall but that is closer to €162. Meanwhile for overclocking the CPU they gave the best mark to the ASUS P8P67

I read the ASUS also has an inbuilt bluetooth adapter which is cute.

I just bought a MSI P67A GD 55 (B3), still waiting for it to arrive. The reason I went for it was basically they had it in stock and I didn't need the extra features of the MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) (two more SATA6 ports, two eSATA ports and a 3.5" front bay with two USB3 ports).

I've had MSI boards in the past and I've been very pleased with them. I also keep hearing about problems with Asus P67 boards.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for that too! This is gold as I said.

Last question for awhile:

On the GPU, looking around the price range I see these 4 cards are very closely priced. Is there a significant advantage to the 6870 at all at only €10? Also Premium Edition of the card runs at 1050MHz while PCS+ at 1100MHz with a 4 cent difference between them! Whats the difference really?

€135 PowerColor Radeon HD 6850
    €143 PowerColor Radeon HD 6850 PCS+
    €143 PowerColor Radeon HD 6850 Premium Edition
    €153 PowerColor Radeon HD 6870 PCS+
    €159 PowerColor Radeon HD 6870

6870 is more powerful (1120 stream processors vs the 6850's 980), so for a small amount extra I would definitely go for the 6870. Dont necessarily stick to Powercolour, just go for the cheapest 6870. If they have custom coolers, try googling a review of the card to check how the temperatures and fan noise compares to the stock cooler.

I'd stay away from factory overclocked units unless they are equal or very close in price to stock ones, or offer superior coolers etc. Reason being that you can overclock the normal graphics cards youself for free, just maybe not quite to the same level.

Ok thanks for that too! This is gold as I said.

Last question for awhile:

On the GPU, looking around the price range I see these 4 cards are very closely priced. Is there a significant advantage to the 6870 at all at only €10? Also Premium Edition of the card runs at 1050MHz while PCS+ at 1100MHz with a 4 cent difference between them! Whats the difference really?

€135 PowerColor Radeon HD 6850
    €143 PowerColor Radeon HD 6850 PCS+
    €143 PowerColor Radeon HD 6850 Premium Edition
    €153 PowerColor Radeon HD 6870 PCS+
    €159 PowerColor Radeon HD 6870

The core engine speeds and memory speeds are overclocked in the Premium Edition and even higher in the PCS+ edition. The HD 6870 is a ~10% faster than the HD 6850 in general. The best value there is definitely the HD 6870 PCS+ as it's cheaper the the stock and it will be a good deal faster.

Well then it looks like unless there are any more comments or suggestions I am essentially going to go with almost exactly the build from seyeM.

Changes are to get the 6870 PCS + as the tiny price increase sounds worth it. I also will get the Black Diamond version of the RAM as it is only €5 more and is CL7 rather than CL9. Also the 875W version of the power unit is around 20 euro more, not a big step up.
    I cant find corsair CPU fans on my local website so is the Cooler Master H212 plus ok?
    My build and local prices therefore are:

CPU: Intel i5-2500K @ €175
    Mobo: MSI P67A-GD55 (B3) @ €130
    RAM: 4GB Mach Xtreme Technology Black Diamond @ €42
    Power: Thermaltake ToughPower XT 875W @€;113
    GPU: PowerColor Radeon HD 6870 PCS+ @€;153
    HDD: 2x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1000GB, SATA II @€;83
    SS: OCZ Vertex 2 60GB @ €94
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 PLUS black. @€;67
    Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus @€;22
    Total: €879 before software.

I am seeing on another thread that I MIGHT hit trouble with space on the Motherboard I am looking for... in terms of the CPU fan impinging on the space for the RAM slots.

Is this a concern for me at all, or should I be ok?

PS I did find the Corsair A70 on my site after all when I searched. I missed it because for some reason under CPU coolers the Corsair Manufacturer filter is absent so although the products are there, they can not be found with standard filter.

I am seeing on another thread that I MIGHT hit trouble with space on the Motherboard I am looking for... in terms of the CPU fan impinging on the space for the RAM slots.

Is this a concern for me at all, or should I be ok?

PS I did find the Corsair A70 on my site after all when I searched. I missed it because for some reason under CPU coolers the Corsair Manufacturer filter is absent so although the products are there, they can not be found with standard filter.

You should be all right as that ram doesn't have massive heat spreader. Although I haven't heard much of Mach Xtreme Technology before, I prefer to stick to well known brands such as Corsair or Crucial.

Think it's a problem on all P67 boards, the Ram slots are close to the CPU socket. Make sure you stick to standard height RAM, the stuff with tall heat spreaders could get in the way of a CPU cooler. If worst comes to worst you can install it in slots 2 + 4.

I've read that the P67 motherboards and CPUs prefer RAM to be 1.5 volts. I'm guessing to run your chosen ram at 1333 CL7 will take more then that. My advice to you there would be to pick the cheapest 2x2gb RAM from a reliable manufacturer, that's 1.5V and does not have tall heat spreaders. It will most likely be 1333 CL9, but that is fine. Something like this or this

I'd also stick with the 212+ for your CPU cooler, it performs very well for the price, and is not too big or heavy. The A70 with 2 fans I'd imagine is a fair bit bulkier and heavier.

Kewl thanks for that. I guess there is no specific advantage to switching to a cooler master PSU since I am getting their case and fan?

Out of curiosity following on from "sink" above.. is there a reason you go for this slightly less known brand of RAM? Personal good experience with it or so on?

Kingston are without a doubt the biggest manufacturers of RAM in the world. They however mainly make generic, non-performance RAM for business machines and the like. Mushkin have a been around a while too.

No need to match case and PSU brands.

Personally no, I haven't used Mach Extreme before, just Crucial and Corsair. My original choice was based on:

-1.5v
    -cheap
    -1333Mhz or more
    -heat spreader doesn't rise above ram
    -lifetime warranty

I certainly haven't heard anything bad about them, but if you can find Corsair/Crucial/GSkill etc that fits the above by all means go with it. The Mushkin kit here also meets these at a lower price.

• Advertisement

Having dropped the ball on this AGAIN I now have the credit card packed, the weekend free, and the itch to start ordering. So last chance all to spot something wrong, missing or dodgy with my build that I need to be wary of or change before I go booking it either late tonight or early tomorrow.

Thanks for the help all. I have thanked all the posts. I took most things on board... posted the build on toms hardware and took more things from there on board... and here is the finished build:
    PART		Description				PRICE	% Of Total		Best Supplier

CPU		Intel Core i5-2500K, 4x 3.30GHz		166,5	17,16547934		titoco.de
    MOBO		MSI P67A-GD65, P67 (B3)			136,89	14,11280761		K&M ELEK
    CASE		Cooler Master HAF912 Plus schwarz 	67,76	6,985783065		Planet4one
    Graphics	PowerColor Radeon HD 6870 PCS+		155,4	16,02111406		CSSC Computer Service
    Memory		Mach Xtreme Black Diamond 8GB CL7	78,4	8,082724208		E-Bug
    HDD		Samsung Spinpoint F3 1000GB, SATA II	40,81	4,207346619		memshop.de
    HDD		OCZ Vertex 2 60GB, 2.5", SATA II 	89,73	9,250801571		memshop.de
    PSU		XFX Black Edition 850W ATX 2.3 		107,52	11,08487891		Mindfactory
    Cooling		Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus		21,78	2,245430271		VV-Computer
    Paste		Arctic Cooling MX-4, 4g Spritze		3,31	0,341247667		CSV-Direct.de
    OS		Microsoft: Windows 7 Professional 64Bit	89,25	9,201315505		Metzinger-Hanssen GmbH
    Wireless	ZyXEL NWD-270N, 150Mbps (MIMO), USB 2 	12,62	1,301071167		Mindfactory

Total cost: €969,97

You might want to look at getting an OCZ Agility 3 60 GB SSD instead, they come in @ around €110, and have superior read/write speeds (550/500 MB/s).

Also aim for 1.5v ram with low heat spreaders, an 8GB Mushkin Silverline Stilleto kit would do the job, and probably at less cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Definitely avoid the vertex 2 - it's only 55GB, making it one of the worst choices in its range. Better off withe C300/M4/Vertex 3.

That's a very powerful PSU - you mentioned earlier something about two GPUs, what's the plan now?

Plan is to go with one for now, I will get a second one later should the mood take me. I was generally talked out of bothering with getting two, so I thought I would keep it as an open question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

seyeM wrote: »
    No need to match case and PSU brands.

Personally no, I haven't used Mach Extreme before, just Crucial and Corsair. My original choice was based on:

-1.5v
    -cheap
    -1333Mhz or more
    -heat spreader doesn't rise above ram
    -lifetime warranty

I certainly haven't heard anything bad about them, but if you can find Corsair/Crucial/GSkill etc that fits the above by all means go with it. The Mushkin kit here also meets these at a lower price.

damn i didn't know about that. i ordered my rig on friday with
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44321&agid=1193

will it be a problem with this mobo do you think?
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43134&agid=1601

also got this cpu cooler which looks large enough
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=25731&agid=669

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

darego wrote: »
    damn i didn't know about that. i ordered my rig on friday with
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=44321&agid=1193

will it be a problem with this mobo do you think?
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43134&agid=1601

also got this cpu cooler which looks large enough
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=25731&agid=669

i have that ram you should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The heatspreaders are actually not as big as they look there and they do fit in with the mugen 2 alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

good stuff, thanks guys

Just heard from by better half that most of my parts arrived this morning. Going to be a busy night when I get home.

• Advertisement

Wouldnt you know it, everything is now delivered except the wireless usb and.... wait for it.... the CPU paste.

So my entire build experience is being held up by a little €3.99 bottle of MX-4.

Oh the injustice.

Advertisement