Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP badly needed on diet plan to lose weight please

Options
  • 21-04-2011 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi guys,
    Im a 5.5, 10 stone female, in my early twenties and want to loose a stone.
    I need help on what to eat to loose the lbs (as fast as possible) as I always seem to put weight ON instead off OFF when exercising and dieting (Im aware mussel weighs more then fat) but id notice my belly being bigger? and clothes being tighter? I wouldn't even care if i stayed the same weight and dropped a jean size even?

so my typical diet would be:

porridge with semi skimmed milk tsp of cinnamon (sometimes with berries/manuka honey)
    fruit snack (not always)
    brown bread turkey slice sandwich
    chicken breast and veg
    fruit/ bag of popcorn

I would drink about 3 cups of tea, and 1-2 green teas and 2-3 lts of water too

and do kettlemetics (3-4 times a week) http://hubpages.com/hub/Kettlenetics-kbell-MichelleKhai

should I be doing more to loose weight, eating more/less? exercising 6 times a week with one rest day?
    Im terrified I will put weight on again, fall off the bandwagon and return to my junk food ways.

ANY advise/help would be grate, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Eat plenty of fruit after you exercise would be the main thing. Lots of berries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

bluemoon. wrote: »

Any sugar in your tea? Do you have any snacks, such as a biscuit here, a biscuit there, and do you drink any fizzy drinks or high sugar fruit juices?

Assuming you don't have a thyroid issue, weight loss should happen if you are using more energy than you consume. Calculate your caloric needs here: http://www.sheerbalance.com/nutrition-section/nutrition-tools/nutrition-calculators/

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I'll probably get shot for this - but here's a typical low carb diet day - do it every day for the next two weeks and see what happens :)

Breakfast: 2 eggs, fried however you like them, 2 rashers, grilled until crispy, 4 large mushrooms, fried in butter. Alternatively, a soufflé omelette (separate 3 eggs, whisk the whites to the soft peak stage, fold in the yolks, maybe mixed with a little cheese, cook in butter, finish off under the grill).
    Lunch: 1 small tin of tuna, mashed with 2 tbs mayonnaise. Lettuce and other leaves. Sliced cucumber sprinkled with white pepper. Chopped spring onion. Alternatively, make a big salad with different leaves, eat it with sliced chicken, and dress it all with garlic butter :) Make fake 'croutons' using little cubes of fried Halloumi cheese.
    Dinner: Half a roast chicken (or 2 pan fried pork or lamb chops, or a steak, or a mahoosive chunk of white fish, or salmon, or maybe half a duck, rubbed with Chinese 5-spice and roasted until all the fat runs off ), complete with skin. Steamed cauliflower topped with grated Parmesan, courgettes sauteéed in garlic butter, broccoli. Aubergine Parmigiana. Moussaka made with a topping that's 3 eggs and 250ml cream, nutmeg and cheese.

Snacks - a couple of hard-boiled eggs, dipped in mayonnaise, or smoked salmon wrapped around a bit of cream cheese. Slices of Emmenthal, or a gooey lump of Brie stuffed into a hollowed out tomato. A chicken drumstick. Slices of ham or other deli meat (no breading).

Drinks - black coffee, water, zero carb fizzy stuff (told you I'd get shot!), Twinings Rose Garden tea with no milk (my favourite!)

If you did that to the letter (no added fruits, no porridge, no bread!), I bet the weight would come off. The fat content is important, so don't ignore the bits that mention chicken skin!

OK - I know you're not going to do the above (though I bet it would work) - but your current diet just seems so bland and unenjoyable that I felt I wanted to show off the alternative. I feel so sorry for those who are always fighting the willpower battle about wanting certain foods and having to be 'strong' and avoiding them. It is possible to eat indulgently and still lose weight as long as you pick the right foods. I tried losing weight for decades eating things like boiled mushrooms on dry toast - yuk :)

Anyway, there ya go - my suggestion. It's only one small post on a bulletin board, so please try to refrain from crucifying me over it!

Sounds delish actually. How long does it take to induce ketosis again?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

:) Around 3 days, in my experience. The first few days can make you feel a bit 'erk', but after that, I find it plain sailing. Good luck if you try it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Darkginger wrote: »
    I'll probably get shot for this - but here's a typical low carb diet day - do it every day for the next two weeks and see what happens :)

Breakfast: 2 eggs, fried however you like them, 2 rashers, grilled until crispy, 4 large mushrooms, fried in butter. Alternatively, a soufflé omelette (separate 3 eggs, whisk the whites to the soft peak stage, fold in the yolks, maybe mixed with a little cheese, cook in butter, finish off under the grill).
    Lunch: 1 small tin of tuna, mashed with 2 tbs mayonnaise. Lettuce and other leaves. Sliced cucumber sprinkled with white pepper. Chopped spring onion. Alternatively, make a big salad with different leaves, eat it with sliced chicken, and dress it all with garlic butter :) Make fake 'croutons' using little cubes of fried Halloumi cheese.
    Dinner: Half a roast chicken (or 2 pan fried pork or lamb chops, or a steak, or a mahoosive chunk of white fish, or salmon, or maybe half a duck, rubbed with Chinese 5-spice and roasted until all the fat runs off ), complete with skin. Steamed cauliflower topped with grated Parmesan, courgettes sauteéed in garlic butter, broccoli. Aubergine Parmigiana. Moussaka made with a topping that's 3 eggs and 250ml cream, nutmeg and cheese.

Snacks - a couple of hard-boiled eggs, dipped in mayonnaise, or smoked salmon wrapped around a bit of cream cheese. Slices of Emmenthal, or a gooey lump of Brie stuffed into a hollowed out tomato. A chicken drumstick. Slices of ham or other deli meat (no breading).

Drinks - black coffee, water, zero carb fizzy stuff (told you I'd get shot!), Twinings Rose Garden tea with no milk (my favourite!)

If you did that to the letter (no added fruits, no porridge, no bread!), I bet the weight would come off. The fat content is important, so don't ignore the bits that mention chicken skin!

OK - I know you're not going to do the above (though I bet it would work) - but your current diet just seems so bland and unenjoyable that I felt I wanted to show off the alternative. I feel so sorry for those who are always fighting the willpower battle about wanting certain foods and having to be 'strong' and avoiding them. It is possible to eat indulgently and still lose weight as long as you pick the right foods. I tried losing weight for decades eating things like boiled mushrooms on dry toast - yuk :)

Anyway, there ya go - my suggestion. It's only one small post on a bulletin board, so please try to refrain from crucifying me over it!
    space all that out a bit more and it would be easier to read

Good post

bluemoon. wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    Im a 5.5, 10 stone female, in my early twenties and want to loose a stone.
    I need help on what to eat to loose the lbs (as fast as possible) as I always seem to put weight ON instead off OFF when exercising and dieting (Im aware mussel weighs more then fat) but id notice my belly being bigger? and clothes being tighter? I wouldn't even care if i stayed the same weight and dropped a jean size even?

so my typical diet would be:

porridge with semi skimmed milk tsp of cinnamon (sometimes with berries/manuka honey)
    fruit snack (not always)
    brown bread turkey slice sandwich
    chicken breast and veg
    fruit/ bag of popcorn

and do kettlemetics (3-4 times a week) http://hubpages.com/hub/Kettlenetics-kbell-MichelleKhai

should I be doing more to loose weight, eating more/less? exercising 6 times a week with one rest day?
    Im terrified I will put weight on again, fall off the bandwagon and return to my junk food ways.

ANY advise/help would be grate, thanks!
    How much are you sleeping and how long have you been eating in the way suggested in your post?

What 'treats' do you have at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

Tremelo wrote: »
    Any sugar in your tea? Do you have any snacks, such as a biscuit here, a biscuit there, and do you drink any fizzy drinks or high sugar fruit juices?

Assuming you don't have a thyroid issue, weight loss should happen if you are using more energy than you consume. Calculate your caloric needs here: http://www.sheerbalance.com/nutrition-section/nutrition-tools/nutrition-calculators/
    hi any chance you could decode the results you get from this site if i posted my results so should i open another thread and not hijack this one, sorry

tinner777 wrote: »
    hi any chance you could decode the results you get from this site if i posted my results so should i open another thread and not hijack this one, sorry

Not sure what you mean by decode. What does it say your BMR is? And after you selected an appropriate activity level, what does it say your TDEE is?

bmr = 2665
    tdee = 3665

i suppose how do you split that lot into a diet plan?

• Advertisement

tinner777 wrote: »
    bmr = 2665
    tdee = 3665

i suppose how do you split that lot into a diet plan?

Do you mind if I ask how heavy you are and how tall? It's just that your BMR seems quite high to me.

I'm not qualified or able to design a diet plan for you, but the general tendency is to eat 500 calories per day under your TDEE to lose 1lb per week. You can do more exercise too and you'll lose weight a little faster.

I suggest making fat the mainstay of your diet (meat, nuts, seeds, butter, flax), followed by protein (meat, seeds, eggs etc.), and finally carbs in the form of abundant fruit and vegetables (not bread).

The main thing is to eliminate processed food, junkfood, and sweet things.

Others will suggest other things, but that's what I recommend anyway. You can use www.fitday.com to gauge the amount of calories you're eating.

yes i'm a big lad 6'2 and over 20 stone. I, like many others, have tried all of the fads, from lipotrim to atkins, lost weight pilled it back on and more. looking to give up the lager and chocolate(the kids chocolate!) and change diet to something i can live with.

Hey cool, well, I strongly recommend this book and this website. It's not a fad, it's completely sustainable and flexible, totally enjoyable, and it's for life. Most regular posters here are big fans of this guy. The only way in which I deviate from the Primal Blueprint is through my butter and milk consumption.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Go have a read of the weight watchers thread, they have changed to a new points system. Ive lost 2st following itso far

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Go have a read of the weight watchers thread, they have changed to a new points system. Ive lost 2st following itso far

Ahem.

WW is a waste of time for 90% of those seeking long-term success.

anyone with more than a stone to drop needs to just focus on the basics.

At 6ft and 20stone there is a sh1t ton of stuff you know you are not doing right on your diet and having a 'look' into cutting back on the beer and chocolate is not going to deliver long term success.

DECIDING that enough is enough and you value your health would be step number 1. Step number 2 is holding yourself to a higher standard and step 3 is quite simply how much you really want to change or are you just asking.

We could all go around in circles discussing the 'best' way to drop weight but when there is significant weight to drop then its really just doing the basics until you get to the point where you might need the detailed nutrition advice

Transform wrote: »
    anyone with more than a stone to drop needs to just focus on the basics.

At 6ft and 20stone there is a sh1t ton of stuff you know you are not doing right on your diet and having a 'look' into cutting back on the beer and chocolate is not going to deliver long term success.

DECIDING that enough is enough and you value your health would be step number 1. Step number 2 is holding yourself to a higher standard and step 3 is quite simply how much you really want to change or are you just asking.

We could all go around in circles discussing the 'best' way to drop weight but when there is significant weight to drop then its really just doing the basics until you get to the point where you might need the detailed nutrition advice

your dead right... Thing is I'm really looking for a kickstart, been cutting back for years, ok for a few weeks then slip back into old habits.

Spent the weekend looking at the primal info and books, do you recommend jumping straight in or chopping back and changing slowly into it?

you know exactly what you are doing wrong so just focus on cutting all the sh1t out of your diet and eating unprocessed foods to begin with and then work from there.

Move your butt about wayyy more also

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Any suggestions for books to read up on low carbing?

Any suggestions for books to read up on low carbing?
    books - come on it all on blogs these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bluemoon.

Tremelo wrote: »

hi thanks for the reply my computer has been broke until now, anyway no i use 2 sweetners at 1 calorie each, and no biscuits no. If i have fizzy drinks its always diet coke and no juices no

Darkginger wrote: »

hi there thanks for the reply. dont be silly 'crucifying you' im really grateful for your suggestion. But you see im such a picky eater and dont like anything on your menu really (except the eggs really) i know thats shocking right,but im such a weird plain eater. If i cut out bread and porridge tho i wont have enough energy to workout.

Transform wrote: »
    How much are you sleeping and how long have you been eating in the way suggested in your post?

What 'treats' do you have at the weekend?

hi thanks for the reply. I have trying to eat so much better since january, but since march this has been my typical meal plan (before i would have carbs at all meals pretty much) and i know this sounds gay but i dont really have 'treats' im so desperate to loose weight, but if i fancy a little something it would be some nuts/ oatcake/frozen grapes. I dont deprive myself, if its a birthday etc id have some cake but not overload and on easter instead of an easter egg i had 3 little lindor eggs instead. im a bad sleeper alright always tired, even when i get 8 hours sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

books - come on it all on blogs these days.
    Thanks for the helpful advice!

Thanks for the helpful advice!
    there are lots mentioned by regular posters here all the time-

sisson, wolff, kresser, livin la vida low carb etc

Advertisement