Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iarnrod Eireann Happy Train Traffic Nearly 40% Down

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

So the direction of this thread is a foregone conclusion. Anyone apart from a WRC hater will be set upon like a Christian posting in Atheism & Agnosticiam, or the reverse.

(I predict next post will say it's justified because the "WRC is bad" using arguments that have already been lined out in posts before this, but will be repeated in full many times before this thread is over)

Maybe thats because of the shortcomings of the project, rather than the character of the people who criticise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Before i talk about the subject at hand, i need to remind non-rail posters here about the context of some of the more sychophantic posters here and elsewhere who have blithely ignored pretty much all logical criticisms of the WRC project since it first appeared on the public agenda. These posters, some here on boards, some elsewhere, appear congenitally incapable of seperating cold hard common sense and rationality from an overwhelming desire to see the WRC being built, partly out of their inner trainspotter, partly out of naive parochial sentiment, but seemingly, sadly, never out of concern for value for money for the taxpayer.

Their response to the many valid criticisms of the WRC project - about low population densities on the line, the antiquated track layout, the folly of upgrading on the cheap a 19th Century line, the strength of an organised rural lobby group taking precedent over the CBA which predicted a best case scenario of a the annual subvention of the line being nearly 3m PA, the superior cost and time of alternative public and private transport options between Galway-Limerick - result in a general collective denial from pro-WRC supporters, as if these things aren't important in the great scheme of things. But that what is important is that the railway is open, feck the begrudgers and all that.

That aside,

As it currently stands, the WRC is a financial blackhole, which will require larger subventions and see dwindling usage over the next few years as the other transport alternatives between the two cities demonstrate their supremacy. Already the deranged elements outlined above will push as the reason the numbers are so low is because of IE, and that only the re-opening of WRC phases 2 & 3 will suffice, this will have to be shouted down both online and in real life as this madness can't continue.

My 2 cents is an echoing of an idea mentioned in the WRC thread and elsewhere, that instead of spending cash on opening new minor stations or re-opening to Tuam, is instead to close the minor stations on the line, train IE drivers and make the requisite timetable alterations and staffing improvements to enable a Gal/Lim/Waterford cross-country express service come into operation. It might or might not make money, but it'll be a dam sight more useful then the way things currently stand.

(I predict next post will say it's justified because the "WRC is bad" using arguments that have already been lined out in posts before this, but will be repeated in full many times before this thread is over)
    D.L.R. wrote: »
    Maybe thats because of the shortcomings of the project, rather than the character of the people who criticise it.
    Before i talk about the subject at hand, i need to remind non-rail posters here about the context of some of the more sychophantic posters here.....

See what I mean? It's their little hobby-horse. They even have their own Facebook group.

I on the other hand, will be getting on with my life. As does everyone who doesn't have a hobby involving campaigning for/against the WRC. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

See what I mean? It's their little hobby-horse. They even have their own Facebook group.

I on the other hand, will be getting on with my life. As does everyone who doesn't have a hobby involving campaigning for/against the WRC. :rolleyes:

That facebook group has nothing to do with any anti-WRC campaign, so stop talking ****e. In fact your reference to it just looks like a very poor attempt to single out certain people (myself included).

Yes I was the first person to speak out against the WRC in the media way back in April 2004 and I was right. It is a failure. My only agenda was to prevent rail development being misrepresented and to see maximum investment/concentration in the existing network and commuter solutions. I didn't hide behind usernames and I openly invited WOT to debate the issue in public. (They declined) Furthermore I invited WOT to support commuter projects in the west of Ireland, like the reopening of Oranmore and they declined that as well. I note its now one of the "reasons" why the Ennis - Athenry section is not performing as well as expected.

Being right about the WRC (I am) and being critical of it in the media came at a very high price. Abusive phone calls at all hours of the day and night, my wife threatened with rape and some priest claiming that I was sabotaging the west of Ireland! My own personal experiences leave me feeling absolutely no generosity towards supporters of the WRC. It obviously attracted a lot of very unsavoury animals. So the last thing Im prepared to tolerate right now is some other anonymous WRC worshipper post a link to a facebook page in an attempt to draw me into a debate which has no place on this forum. That facebook page is about Irish Rail/CIE, while you Seaslacker are just trying to stir up ****.

You clearly have no life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Folks enough with the slanging. Can we keep the thread on topic and avoid personal attacks/offtopic posts aimed at other users.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

The only way I think they can make use of this line without major investment. Is to operate a complimentary Limerick to Dublin service which offers different rail connection options - via Athlone and perhaps routing the service into Connolly or Docklands. Run a railcar commuter service between Athenry and Galway all day long. Close the Cow and Sheep stations and go tell WoT + supporters to go away off and never come back. I think a non change direct service with limited stops to Dublin using 22Ks with trolley service would be very appealling to Ennis rail users.

Limerick-Sixmilebridge-Ennis-Gort-Athenry (change)-Athlone (change)-Kildare (change)- Connolly/Docklands sort of thing.

Otherwise there is not a hope in hell of increasing the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

It project is a bit of a joke, I cant believe it even went ahead. When the motorway is finished then a regular bus service would obliterate this. I really cant see how anyone would argue for it. It costs more, will take over twice as long and is very infrequent. Some or all of these issues need to be sorted or it needs to be scrapped...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

irishguy wrote: »
    When the motorway is finished then a regular bus service would obliterate this. I really cant see how anyone would argue for it.

I think that the general consensus is that an express bus service/motorways rather than a regular bus service would be what kyboshes the WRC.....as well as other rail lines such as Dublin - Wexford and indeed Dublin - Limerick.

The WRC wasn't a year open when Bus Éireann introduced a Galway - Limerick non stop express BUS service....the 51x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

interesting to compare to the Uk where rail journeys have just hit their highest since the Grouping in 1923 when the Uk network was at its peak with over twice the route mileage available.

Obviously the railways here are doing something wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ClareVisitor

corktina wrote: »
    interesting to compare to the Uk where rail journeys have just hit their highest since the Grouping in 1923 when the Uk network was at its peak with over twice the route mileage available.

Obviously the railways here are doing something wrong....
    There really is little option here (depending on your exact location of home and work), epsecially round the London area. It would take way longer to drive from mine into Central London, parking would be a fortune, congestion charge etc., etc. The rail network is extensive and frequent enough to make it work. Even then some people do insist on driving in.

• Advertisement

No you are wrong...there really is no other option HERE.... no other option than the Motorway usally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

All i know is that the Oranmore station needs to be opened ASAP, planning is approved and it should start any week now. I know IF irishrail makes a combined parking + train ticket from oranmore to galway that's cheaper than the bus which is €5 return then it would work very well as this station will only be served by the WRC train from limerick. Obviously the timetabling would have to suit but Irishrail did mention how they were going to introduce a commuter service to make use of the oranmore station and athenry through to limerick more effectively. Also this line is getting two new 22000's soon which hopefully will increase the speed on it.

I'd consider myself a "trainspotter" (despite not liking the negative image associated with that term) but I was never supportive of the WRC project as I feared it would retard further rail development in Ireland should it fail, as it seems to have done. I guess we'll have to see what happens from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

yer man! wrote: »
    All i know is that the Oranmore station needs to be opened ASAP, planning is approved and it should start any week now. I know IF irishrail makes a combined parking + train ticket from oranmore to galway that's cheaper than the bus which is €5 return then it would work very well as this station will only be served by the WRC train from limerick. Obviously the timetabling would have to suit but Irishrail did mention how they were going to introduce a commuter service to make use of the oranmore station and athenry through to limerick more effectively. Also this line is getting two new 22000's soon which hopefully will increase the speed on it.

Sixmilebridge to Limerick is €11 for a day return or €14 for a monthly + parking fee so I wouldn't hold my breadth on Irish Rail offering a value for money fare that might attract passengers through Oranmore.

dowlingm wrote: »
    Per SeaSlacker's comment I also think this should go to C&T.

i think there should be a dedicated Rail Forum (if only for the anorak issues)

signed

A Norak

Westtip got the full FOI and posted it elsewhere on Boards, it starts in a long thread from THIS point onwards .

The amount of redaction(= TIPPEX) for 'commercial confidentiality' reasons is vastly amusing. They print out pages, Tippex them and scan the Tippexed copy. No wonder the country is ****ed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

this line is getting two new 22000's soon which hopefully will increase the speed on it.
    The only section of the line where the 22Ks can increase speed over existing service is a six mile portion of the section from Galway to Athenry where the line speed of 80mph is not subject to lower restriction. Not one mile of the Athenry-Limerick track exceeds 60mph. Any gains will be marginal - most services are timetabled identically for 2700 and 22000 (13 minutes Galway-Athenry) according to a quick glance at irishrail.ie

So we're going to put 22Ks on this line which will have a minimum of 200 seats to carry traffic which for most services would fit one of their three cars? Maybe we'll see 22s doing some segments but given the figures (whichever ones can be believed) it's hard to see IE both doubling down by increasing services AND doing so by increasing capacity. Maybe we'll see the 2700 service ex Limerick continue with the ex Galway service at 0640 becoming a 22K, but I'd much rather see at least six cars of 22Ks deployed to Newry-Dundalk-Connolly service in the near term to replace 20mph slower 29Ks.

Indeed using 22000s would be a waste....in which case they will fit right in on the WRC!

dowlingm wrote: »

So we're going to put 22Ks on this line which will have a minimum of 200 seats to carry traffic which for most services would fit one of their three cars?

The combined capacity of the 51 and 51x buses from Galway to Limerick is around 1200 passengers a day in each direction, c 24 buses x 50 seats. Citylink adds another 300 per direction for a total Bus capacity of 1500 seats per day on that route. Citylink takes 1 hour 30 mins to travel from central Limerick to central Galway. Roughtly half the 1500 seats are express/stop limited and the other half stop frequently and are slower than the train.

This is the point that rail advocates are wilfully missing. People will tolerate a modern airconditioned express bus for 90 minutes where they would not have tolerated a 1980s era chugger for 4 hours and would have chosen the train. The Ryanair generation is well used to being hauled for 90 minutes from an airport miles outside Paris or Vienna or London. Any rail link that cannot deliver a faster experience than an express bus, over 2 hours, is doomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Most projects wildly over-estimate the potential ridership anyway

Interestingly, the IE projections (the initial ones at least) were questioned by Goodbodys as being potentially too low, in that population catchments were ignored (see page 4/5 of the doc below) and the figures were generally low-balled. In reality, neither IE nor the Dept had any interest in seeing this go ahead - it was clear from the outset to all concerned that this was just going to be a money sink. It only ever came about to assuage the political lobby in the west, led by the likes of the WRC, who complained about the disparity of infrastructure spend between the SE Region and the BMW region. This was a project that the then Govt could point to at every turn as evidence of their committment to 'balanced regional development'.

http://www.transport21.ie/Publications/upload/File/Reintro%20Ennis%20to%20Athenry.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

They need to cut the prices from Athenry also. €11 for a day return is crazy!

It's beyond me how anyone could justify stopping a Dublin-Galway train in Woodlawn or Attymon and not in Oranmore...

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

I fully agree re-doubling of the Athenry-Galway section should become a priority once funding is there. I believe Tuam-Athenry has potential but to realise this to the max then re-doubling Athenry to Galway needs to go ahead.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not overly worried about the numbers not being fantastic at the moment. With better timetabling there is some potential for numbers to increase in the future, it is a foundation on which to build that came at a lower cost than a brand new alignment, which let's face it would never have happened. The fact that the bus is faster is not alone a reason to declare the line a failure - there are other routes in this country where this is the case.

I have to say though that Claremorris-Tuam should not go ahead (and no doubt won't), I see little economic potential here at all. But Tuam-Athenry does have potential (commuter) provided it can be sensibly pathed into Galway city. In fact it probably has more potential than Ennis-Limerick.
    KevR wrote: »

It's beyond me how anyone could justify stopping a Dublin-Galway train in Woodlawn or Attymon and not in Oranmore...

I suppose it's so as not to slow down the Dublin train, as the station can be served by the WRC just as easily (Attymon has no other option). I presume Oranmore passengers could change at Athenry for stations towards Dublin, the same way on the Northern Line passengers between Connolly and Drogheda change at the latter for stations north of there.

I am not saying it's right or wrong but I think that's the logic behind it.

From Leos briefing as a new minister.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71472804&postcount=4

It is quite obvious that Oranmore and Crusheen stations are not mentioned but Athenry Tuam is
    Western Rail Corridor Phase 2 - Athenry to Tuam
    The Department has received an application for funding from Iarnrod Eireann for the detailed
    design and tender preparation stage for Phase 2 of the WRC. This is unlikely to be funded
    during the Plan period. The exact timeframe for when the project will move to construction has
    yet to be determined and will be influenced by the performance of phase 1, the business case
    for Phase 2 and the availability of funds.[
    /QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭dermo88

Seaslacker:

I quote 18-03-2011, 16:30 -

Western Rail Corridor discussion in Commuting & Transport. Mind boggling the years and years of cliquey BS they put into it, they hate it soooooooo much. Look for the super-long locked thread..

Its a long thread because of the very nature of it being an infrastructure project. These tend to have a long lead time from proposal to construction to implementation.

As for the facebook page, its there because of the inability of moderators of certain websites to accept mature reasoned debate.

Now, yes - to an extent the debate did get emotive. Thats because of the selective treatment of the detractors as DW Commuter hinted at, with alleged harrassment of the Platform11 committee at the time.

If anyone here wants to see how crazy and twisted the advocates of the Western Rail Corridor are, private message me. I have a few e-mails that can demonstrate this, and I can put names to them also. Other posters here WILL back me up on this. Its all transparent, and yes its on facebook.

The project, by its failure has endangered future projects of far greater potential by its failure. Anyway, thats enough said for now. I have better things to do. I have a life.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    From Leos briefing as a new minister.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71472804&postcount=4

It is quite obvious that Oranmore and Crusheen stations are not mentioned but Athenry Tuam is
    Western Rail Corridor Phase 2 - Athenry to Tuam
    The Department has received an application for funding from Iarnrod Eireann for the detailed
    design and tender preparation stage for Phase 2 of the WRC. This is unlikely to be funded
    during the Plan period. The exact timeframe for when the project will move to construction has
    yet to be determined and will be influenced by the performance of phase 1, the business case
    for Phase 2 and the availability of funds.[
    /QUOTE]

Game, set and match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭yer man!

This line may rely heavily on the new oranmore station being opened and a commuter service starting between galway and athenry, serving oranmore too. I'm speculating that these trains will also be used to continue on down the corridor to try and fill it as much as possible. At present it takes 60 minutes to drive from oranmore to the galway train station at 8 o'clock in the morning, where the train would take 5-7mins. The bus takes a very long time too as there simply isn't space for enough bus corridors. Train is the fastest option. Plus Irishrail said they'll be allowing people to bring bicycles on board for free from oranmore and athenry which would be a huge advantage for many students like myself.

This line may rely heavily on the new oranmore station being opened and a commuter service starting between galway and athenry, serving oranmore too.

The people behind the Western Rail Coridor had no interest in this. They wanted a new line for some priest in Mayo to remind him of the good old days when train loads of pilgims decended upon Knock.

They never wanted anything meaningful.

This line may rely heavily on the new oranmore station being opened and a commuter service starting between galway and athenry, serving oranmore too. I'm speculating that these trains will also be used to continue on down the corridor to try and fill it as much as possible. At present it takes 60 minutes to drive from oranmore to the galway train station at 8 o'clock in the morning, where the train would take 5-7mins. The bus takes a very long time too as there simply isn't space for enough bus corridors. Train is the fastest option. Plus Irishrail said they'll be allowing people to bring bicycles on board for free from oranmore and athenry which would be a huge advantage for many students like myself.

this point has been made before...the train is only a quicker option if you happen to be going where IT is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Oranmore Station + Galway Bikes = WRC win :P

Seriously, though, Ennis-Athenry is installed at this stage so short of decomissioning the thing again, something should be done to make it more attractive. I doubt continuing to drastically subsidise trips is worthwhile in the long term. Considering that Ardrahan has a population of less than 400, I think it'd make equal sense to have some stations in Galway City itself. The route passes some areas which would be more populous than Ardrahan. I'm thinking of:
    - Ballyloughaun Road: would serve highly populated area (going from the number of houses on Google Maps, at least 1,500 in a 10-minute walk's radius), GMIT less than 15 mins away, beach nearby
    - Doughiska Road: residential, again relatively high population.
    - Oranmore

The advantage of these areas is that they're a lot more likely to make a spur of the moment trip into Galway, whereas further out you'd have to plan it for the day. As well, a stop near GMIT would give a whole segment of people a real reason to take the train. Just having a Galway-Athenry route doesn't give that many people a reason to use it. The fact is that the train is passing a ready-made market already, just these people don't have a station to board at. They would already have greater ties to Galway than those in Athenry.

Anyway, just some thoughts. It can't be too expensive to build three utilitarian stations. If it means more passengers and less subsidy, then why not?

154086.png

• Advertisement

Aard wrote: »
    Oranmore Station + Galway Bikes = WRC win :P

154086.png

This right here should of be WRC Phase 1.

Advertisement