Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Viber for Android

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭boardswalker

Just for the record, Viber for Android was announced as coming soon last November. Thats almost four months ago now. Since then it always seems to be a month away and its still one month away. In smartphone time, its been a long time coming.

Secondly, the charter is clear that contributors "Do not sign up solely to promote your product or website." Viber's only posts in Boards are to promote Viber for Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭shmeee

Just for the record, Viber for Android was announced as coming soon last November. Thats almost four months ago now. Since then it always seems to be a month away and its still one month away. In smartphone time, its been a long time coming.

Secondly, the charter is clear that contributors "Do not sign up solely to promote your product or website." Viber's only posts in Boards are to promote Viber for Android.

Ah here, will ya stop complaining....

You are getting something for FREE, that will give you FREE calls, so get over the delay in the product being released and go worry about something else will ya....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Viber, this forum's charter expressly forbids users who "sign up solely to promote your product or website. If you feel it's something we could all benefit from then drop a PM to a mod with the relevant info and they will let you know if it's ok to post or not."

As such please PM all the Android forum moderators with your case to do so and until such time that we reply positively desist from posting on your company's product. Failure to do so will result in a permanent ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭shmeee

Viber, this forum's charter expressly forbids users who "sign up solely to promote your product or website. If you feel it's something we could all benefit from then drop a PM to a mod with the relevant info and they will let you know if it's ok to post or not."

As such please PM all the Android forum moderators with your case to do so and until such time that we reply positively desist from posting on your company's product. Failure to do so will result in a permanent ban.

Ah lads, ye'd want to get a grip would ye...

The product is FREE, yes FREE, and offering people FREE calls...

Anything that is FREE in todays world is def worth hearing about...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Raoul

shmeee wrote: »

I agree. Should you also tell the lad that made that zombie outbreak app that he should have to pm all the mods asking if its ok to promote his app?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Agree completely. Can understand if he was looking for money but he's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I respect your stance as mod and the charter but Viber has just been answering questions from posters. As I remember, a thread about viber was started and Viber signed up to answer questions that we all had.

For what it's worth, I think you are being very harsh and it is a bit ridiculous to ban a company representative from answering people's questions.

We've all asked to be kept updated by him and that is all that has been happening.

Viber Media Inc is a commercial operation, not a charity. As such even if they do not charge end users, they have some form of business model to allow them to operate and as such is a breach of the charter.

The user Viber has not been banned or even infracted. No posts have been deleted or threads locked. However, (s)he has been asked to follow the procedure as laid out in the charter.

No further back seat modding will be tolerated on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

Hi Corinthian and all,

I apologize if my acts here seemed like "promoting" our product.
    For the sake of the record, I have entered this thread AFTER I saw questions about Viber that were unanswered. The policy of our company is to find those users and provide them with the technical answers they seek.

Yes, I also posted messages about our upcoming versions, but I will discuss this issue with Corinthian in a Private Message in order to clarify what is right and wrong.
    I apologize again if it seemed as if I was advertising Viber - that clearly wasn't the case, and I think the fact that 90% of my posts were actually ANSWERS can prove it.

About our business model - if anyone really wants to know: for now, Viber's focus is on adding platforms, adding features (such as text messages) and improving overall system performance. At the same time, we are working on additional future premium services that will generate revenues. The basic Viber service - Viber to Viber phone calls, and now text messages - will ALWAYS be free.

Thank you and have a good day,
    Ittai (Viber Media)

It was never officially published that Viber for Android will be ready in November. It only said in our website that we are working on it (if you think otherwise, please show me).
    Yes, we HAVE been working on it for a while, but we rather wait and release a smoothly-running application, and I said.

About your criticism regarding my posts - please see the above post with my answers to that complaint.

Regards.

• Advertisement

Viber wrote: »
    It was never officially published that Viber for Android will be ready in November. It only said in our website that we are working on it (if you think otherwise, please show me).

I stated that you announced last November on the Viber support site (Nov 29 - see link) that an Android version is coming soon.

http://support.viber.com/entries/344126-viber-for-android

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Nothing is ever quite as free as you think, I suppose you think Facebook is free too?? ;)

Viber wrote: »
    For the sake of the record, I have entered this thread AFTER I saw questions about Viber that were unanswered. The policy of our company is to find those users and provide them with the technical answers they seek.
    I appreciate that, which is why no action was taken. However, if every company that wanted to 'provide answers' which by happy conicidence promoted their products were given free reign here, we would soon be inundated.

As such the charter is clear about the procedure that must be taken and the moderators are now discussing it and will get back to you ASAP, as I have already said to you by PM.
    About our business model - if anyone really wants to know: for now, Viber's focus is on adding platforms, adding features (such as text messages) and improving overall system performance. At the same time, we are working on additional future premium services that will generate revenues. The basic Viber service - Viber to Viber phone calls, and now text messages - will ALWAYS be free.
    I'm familiar with such models and how they realistically require large user bases to promote the sale of extra services, thus generating revenue. And to get them to adopt the paid services, you need to get them on board for the free ones - that's how it works.

As such, I really do not accept the line that the service is free - certainly it is, but if that is all you want users to adopt in the long term, you won't be in business very long.

As discussed by PM, and also above in my first post to you, I would ask you to desist from further posts relating to your company and/or products/services until the moderators come to a decision. I will not ask you this again. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Sconsey

I stated that you announced last November on the Viber support site (Nov 29 - see link) that an Android version is coming soon.

http://support.viber.com/entries/344126-viber-for-android

Yeah and now you have a company rep coming on here and updating you with the latest status...and you are not happy and want to get in a pi$$ing contest.

@Viber, like most on this thread, I appreciate your input, please don't be put off by the occasional dig.

Sconsey wrote: »
    Yeah and now you have a company rep coming on here and updating you with the latest status...and you are not happy and want to get in a pi$$ing contest.

All they have been doing is using boards to promote the product - which is not allowed. (I have seen posters about genuine local charities threatened with a ban for less.)

The supposed updates are not updates - they haven't changed - its still one month away - same as it was.

They also posted about iPhone in an Android forum. They were already informed that they would get a better response posting in an iPhone forum.
    They don't want a response to their iphone query. They just want to keep the name of the product out there during their development delays.

If they had something genuine to add I would not mind. They're just abusing the forum. Look at the comments on their own support forum - a lot of their android fans are getting frustrated by the delays.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

They came on here to respond to questions which they have done well - they did not simple come on to pimp or shill. I actually do want to know about the new iPhone release, because regardless of what phone you have, I want my friends to have this - now that is has messaging its even more compelling. I've never properly used Viber but I think WhatsApp is absolutely brilliant, so now that Viber can pretty much replace it, it becomes an absolutely essential app for anyone with an iPhone - and soon, Android phone too.

Anyone who knows anything about software development knows that delays are far from rare. Setbacks happen and its better to wait and get a working product than get it now and be buggy. If it annoys you that much then I suggest you unsubscribe from this thread

Zascar wrote: »
    They came on here to respond to questions which they have done well
    They actually haven't done well. Their product launch estimates haven't come to pass.
    I actually do want to know about the new iPhone release
    Have you considered using the iPhone forum for that?
    Anyone who knows anything about software development knows that delays are far from rare.
    This delay is longer than normal, to be honest.
    If it annoys you that much then I suggest you unsubscribe from this thread
    So are you saying, with your "Mod hat" on, ignore the charter?

By the way, you could ignore my posts, you know. It works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

boardswalker you have completely ruined this thread.

And if you think Viber was just trying to promote Iphone software do you not think he would have went to the Iphone forum?

I think that this has to be seen in context, and when you look at the reality that Viber only came here to answer questions (and of course that helps spread more info about their products) and there was absolutely no shilling or selling of anything. As you can see by all the thanks that Viber received from posters whose questions he answered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I think that this has to be seen in context, and when you look at the reality that Viber only came here to answer questions (and of course that helps spread more info about their products) and there was absolutely no shilling or selling of anything. As you can see by all the thanks that Viber received from posters whose questions he answered.

They actually answered my query about 2.1 with not particularly good news re problems with compatability, not what I wanted to hear but nice to have some honesty.

And if you think Viber was just trying to promote Iphone software do you not think he would have went to the Iphone forum?

That's my point. I don't think he was trying to promote the iPhone software. He came here to promote the android version and to build expectation for that product. That's promoting a product. That's the reality.

• Advertisement

That's my point. I don't think he was trying to promote the iPhone software. He came here to promote the android version and to build expectation for that product. That's promoting a product. That's the reality.

Boardswalker,
    I don't mean to sound rude, but I got your point.
    Your complaint is being discussed right now among the moderators of this forum. The users on this thread, evidently (one can clearly see their comments), expressed and wrote what they think in response to your harsh accusations towards me.

If it's your wish, I'd be happy to continue the discussion with you in Private Messages, but in the meanwhile please let's stop ruining this thread and wait for the moderators' decision as to whether or not I may continue providing support both here, and in the iPhone forum I plan to join soon, as you suggested.

Thank you.

After consultation with the other moderators, we have decided to welcome Viber to Boards.ie, on the assumption that he will not use our site to actively promote or market his company's product.

However, that product is not actually an Android app as yet, a question that has been answered here and as such it really does not merit such a lengthy discussion on an Android forum. However, given that it is presently an iPhone app, users are welcome to discuss it further on the Apple Consumer Products forum instead.

With that in mind, I am closing this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement