Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Ghost signs'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bonerm wrote: »
    buildings that were formerly cinemas in Dublin but have since been shut-down completely or turned into some other business
    You've just reminded me of The Curzon which I think later became The Lighthouse in Middle Abbey Street. The facade is probably gone since the renovations in Arnotts a few years back.

PS - Is the facade of The Carlton gone? I can't recall now even though I must have passed it lots of times?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

PS - Is the facade of The Carlton gone? I can't recall now even though I must have passed it lots of times?
    It is definitely still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

bonerm wrote: »
    Here's a little project I was working on that might have a place here. All entries below are buildings that were formerly cinemas in Dublin but have since been shut-down completely or turned into some other business.

I think this is/was one too, but no idea of its old name:
    http://goo.gl/maps/ZlQ4
    63 Collins Avenue East Killester

Also, for the other one on collins ave, pic of it just after being built (1950s i guess?)
    http://www.beaumontresidents.ie/historic-beaumont/113-old-aerial-photo-of-beaumont.html

(found that here in the historic photos thread i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭SquirrelFace

I dont know if this has been mentioned but somewhere around the city there is an old building with some defunct company painted on the side, i think the bottom floor is a shop, but the creepy thing is that in the window on the unused second floor theres an incredibley creepy man-sized statue of a grinning pig dressed as a butcher standing at the window looking out, i think it may have a cleaver, id love to remember where it is!! It is somehere near the Academy i think but i remember seeing it and thinking, this is the stuff of horror films!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ste.phen wrote: »
    I think this is/was one too, but no idea of its old name:
    http://goo.gl/maps/ZlQ4
    63 Collins Avenue East Killester

Killester cinema was the Killester Grand. It closed in September 1970.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Taken on a Boards.ie photowalk Jan 13th

E627EFADE1E5459AB6BD8AAE11FB1114-0000326929-0002124310-00800L-BA677E58934841A88C75889D4CF281D4.jpg

Someone suggested I put it in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

spurious wrote: »
    Killester cinema was the Killester Grand. It closed in September 1970.

I had a look online to see if I can find any pictures of it before they modernised the building. Not a hope. I vaguely remember it from when I was a kid. Long after it was closed mind you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

[IMG][/img]DSCF4131.jpg

This is at the corner of Western Way and Mountjoy Street near Broadstone, what's left of the wording looks like 'sublime scenery, Atlantic', I'm going to take a long shot on this one and guess that because of it's proximity to what was Broadstone railway station, which was a main terminal to Galway and Clifden, that this was a mural extolling the virtues of a railway trip to the west of Ireland, or maybe I'm letting my imagination run wild:). There's not a lot of the mural left but I'd say it was impressive in it's day

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think it's 'Art'.

spurious wrote: »
    I think it's 'Art'.

That crossed my mind but the mural looks a lot older than the web type grid, I'm assuming the web was added more recently for a different reason but I'm open to correction.

Edit: Okay, I'm having my doubts on this now, maybe Spurious is right, anyone got any thoughts on this and why are there so many holes on the mural, were they anchor points for a display type ad at one stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Just came across this thread today. Excellent stuff.

I took these photos a year or two ago. My mother grew up on this street. She lived in number 7...............

p9270001.jpg

Old Veritas warehouse also on Hanover Quay.
    p9270003.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

vektarman wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]DSCF4131.jpg

This is at the corner of Western Way and Mountjoy Street near Broadstone, what's left of the wording looks like 'sublime scenery, Atlantic', I'm going to take a long shot on this one and guess that because of it's proximity to what was Broadstone railway station, which was a main terminal to Galway and Clifden, that this was a mural extolling the virtues of a railway trip to the west of Ireland, or maybe I'm letting my imagination run wild:). There's not a lot of the mural left but I'd say it was impressive in it's day

Always reminds me of a spiderman type thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Always reminds me of a spiderman type thing.

Yeah I always thought it was from an old Spiderman billboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Have been told that it just appeared up there one day, and there was nothing else.
    Bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I seem to remember that there was small plaque (or similar) beside that spider web that identified it as a piece of art :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

1968 wrote: »
    "On the 10 June, 1904 James Joyce first met Nora Barnacle by chance as she walked up Nassau Street on her way from Finn’s Hotel. This event changed his life forever. Nora was working as a barmaid in the hotel when Joyce met her. Finn’s was then “a slightly exalted rooming house”. They had their first date four days later and he cast the action of Ulysses on that day, 14 June."

http://www.imt.ie/lifestyle/culture-and-society/2007/09/pubs-rich-with-history.html

Interstingly it is believed that the true loaction of St Patrick's Well is beneath this building..the one currently designated as a national monument in Nassau st is thought now to be a domestic well used for drinking water.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

this may have been mentioned before but there is a brick one, partially covered, at the Nonna Valentina restaurent in Portobello. it's along the canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭CBFi

if you go around the other side you see the word "merchant". such a pity they covered it with the tacky metal signs.

(poor nonna valentinas- bad timing for their google streetview pics ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

sugarman wrote: »
    Linky link!

Family something or other, looks like it could have been an old pub?

I'd hazard a guess it used as a butchers or something when Dublins Little Jerusalem was up around that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

good to see this thread is awake again - it's one of my favourites

Flamingo on Stephen Street Lr. Took this back in Sept 10. It is captured on Streetview too though

dsc05393zi.jpg

• Advertisement

Campbell's Tea is happily still going, though now part of Robert Roberts group.
    Very nice tea indeed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Not sure if this sign off Brunswick Street has been posted before but what caught my attention was the railway track which I had never noticed before. Does anyone know where it was going to/ from? Would it be part of the line to Longford from Broadstone mentioned in the recent thread about Collins and the War of Independence?

DSC01249_Small.jpg

DSC01250_Small.jpg

DSC01251_Small.jpg

DSC01252_Small.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Hermy wrote: »
    Not sure if this sign off Brunswick Street has been posted before but what caught my attention was the railway track which I had never noticed before. Does anyone know where it was going to/ from? Would it be part of the line to Longford from Broadstone mentioned in the recent thread about Collins and the War of Independence?

The Broadstone line wouldn't have gone down that far. My guess it's the remnants of an old tramline or a small industrial railway. Not sure what was once there,i'll have to ask my grandmother who lives nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wetbivybag

I've recently become interested in the various 'ghost signs' dotted around the city.

Basically a 'ghost sign' is an old advertisement sign for a business long since gone - typically they're painted onto old brickwork.

I don't have any photos yet, but would love to start putting some together.

I'd appricate hearing of any locations around the city where I could find them.

When we get a few together we could either make a new thread on 'em (this one maybe?) or merge them in the historic photos thread.

Anyone?.

There was a beautiful one on the Starbucks Building on Mespil Road. I went out one day, shortly before they renovated the Starbucks building. They had taken down the shop sign. Behind this, painted on the brick was a beautiful hand-painted sign for ironmongory and supplies. I photographed it at the time, thinking they were going to put a new sign up over the front of it. Next day they sandblasted it off. I'm sure they are not allowed to do this. If you're interested I could hunt it out for you.

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

please do. all kinds of ghost signs are welcome

The texacloth sign was posted by me before but well spotted anyway Hermy,
    As for the rail lines, I used to wonder where they went when I went to school locally, I found out years later they were once a tram branch line running from the North quays to the Dublin Corporation scavenging depot and destructor, here's a link, the tram lines can be just made out.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,714606,734850,7,9

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

Masada wrote: »
    Yeah rorys is still there, A good spot for angling gear and the lads in there are dead sound. Last time i was there though, I ended up having to get violent with some filth who hang around on the palm tree seat thingys outside scrounging people for money.

Here's one i took the other day, its High street up near Christ Church., The pic is terrible but it was lashing and i was in a moving car at the time.,:)

4197784290_5bc9004f08_b.jpg

Knew there was a picture of this in here somewhere. Coming down High Street this afternoon, I noticed that it has been knocked!!!! Does anyone know the story? Was it a danger in some way? It doesn't appear to have been listed: http://www.dublincity.ie/Planning/HeritageConservation/Conservation/ProtectedStructures/Pages/ProtectedStructuresa.aspx

http://maps.google.ie/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=high+street&aq=&sll=53.401034,-8.307638&sspn=5.792966,19.753418&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=High+St,+Dublin,+County+Dublin&ll=53.343301,-6.274137&spn=0.011325,0.038581&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.343297,-6.273972&panoid=0UVegWz3oKJzYssbReH8uQ&cbp=12,354.64,,0,-3.7

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

This was off South Circular road the other morning, I couldnt make out what it said at all. 'Irish ___________________'

182980_10150188769763032_705213031_8853449_6465325_n.jpg

184948_10150188769283032_705213031_8853440_2288645_n.jpg

182978_10150188770498032_705213031_8853460_2157379_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,963 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Off Cork St you mean? That's Weavers Square, not sure what it was put I'll ask my mam when shes home later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

boosh_fan wrote: »
    Knew there was a picture of this in here somewhere. Coming down High Street this afternoon, I noticed that it has been knocked!!!! Does anyone know the story? Was it a danger in some way? It doesn't appear to have been listed: http://www.dublincity.ie/Planning/HeritageConservation/Conservation/ProtectedStructures/Pages/ProtectedStructuresa.aspx

Hi,

Found something on the website of a demolition company who say that Dublin City Council had issued it with a Dangerous Buildings Notice. Link
    After Dublin City Council issued a Dangerous Buildings Notice in relation to 17 High Street, D2, HDL were called in by the Archdiocese of Dublin to make this structure safe. Formerly Murphy’s Pram shop, the premises has lain vacant for many years. The roof had collapsed causing external walls to bulge, leaving the building in a dangerous state to pedestrian traffic on High Street. The initial contract is for the demolition of the building to first floor level, making it safe for a more detailed examination to be carried out, to determine if the remaining fabric of the structure can be preserved. As this site borders a National Monument (the Medieval Church of St. Audoen) extreme sensitivity is required when carrying out demolition works at this location.

Such a pity, always loved that little building!

Advertisement