Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Postcodes already?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭homer911

This is not a Post Code - Its a geo-location code, which is very different!

A post code needs to make sense without a computer - if a post man looked at a geo-code he wouldnt have a clue where to go, but a proper post code is easy to understand for anyone who works with them on a daily basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Seen one just like it yesterday at the top of Talbot Street at the Connolly Station end! Appears PostCodes are coming in!

EDIT: just read he thread... sorry... I'm leaving now.

*gets coat, hat, dame... and leaves quietly*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Don't see why people are complaining about this. If it takes off all major delivery companies will fit every truck out with Garmin, meaning instead of going up and down unknown backroads in the countryside or looking for a house in that seemingly never ending street, they can get the location of it within a few meters. No more problems finding houses again.

Same goes for the average person to, driving down to friends / relatives in the country? Bang in their postcode into your Garmin and it will more than likely take you straight to their house or within meters of it.

You don't need to use this system, it just helps and is a clever marketing ploy by Garmin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

homer911 wrote: »
    This is not a Post Code - Its a geo-location code, which is very different!

A post code needs to make sense without a computer - if a post man looked at a geo-code he wouldnt have a clue where to go, but a proper post code is easy to understand for anyone who works with them on a daily basis

Yes he would;
    How Loc8 Codes define your location
    Loc8 Codes are easy to remember and work with Latitude & Longitude or Grid. Their structure is very easy too understand. For Example, our office Loc8 Code is W8L-82-4YK.

The "W" defines a 90km square which covers most of Cork. The First Character of a Loc8 Code will always be a letter.
    The Second two characters can be either letters or numbers and define an approximate 3.5 km square zone within the area of "W".
    The following two numbers define an even smaller area - metres in fact. The next two Characters, "4Y", combined with the first 3, define a 120 meter square locality.
    The last character "K" is the checker code which is used to check all the other characters in the code. You can find a ZONE by using just the First 3 characters or a LOCALITY by dropping the numbers between the dashes.
    link

You should have looked it up instead of just assuming - English post codes make no sense to me that doesn't mean nobody can read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Nadser

Down with post codes!

I like the fact that no-one knows exactly where I live except for the postman. The way it stands now, if people send me something to anywhere within about a 10 mile radius, it will get to me. If we had post codes, I can see a lot more post going missing if people don't get it exactly right.

Also, I really don't like the idea of a commercial company deciding our addresses!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

mickdw wrote: »
    I think its excellent. I dont know why people are complaining about it being 8 digit code. This locates single properties regardless of how remote the property. The 6 digit uk system doesnt locate properties in this way.
    The UK postcode on its own doesn't locate a single property, but if a building number or name is attached to it, then the mail can be successfully delivered to that property without a street name, town etc. For example if I live in 25 Ballyhackballs Avenue, Crumlinsville, Co. Dubath and my postcode is CS54 7DH, the any mail that is simply addressed "25 <line_break> CS54 7DH" can still reach where I live as those two bits of information are unique together. Most postcodes up here are not so much population allocated, but depend on a variety of factors, mainly a unique on for a street, estate etc. Some buildings in Britain (I can't remember which ones though) have their own unique postcode. Some streets or estates have different postcodes depending if the number of your house is odd or even. Some postcodes in urban areas might service hundreds of buildings, in some very isolated areas, a postcode may serve less than a handful of properties.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Give a, give a, give a, give a, give a Garmin
    Give a, give a, give a, give a, give a Garmin

I hope that whoever wrote that song, dies a long painful death.

The composer was was murdered in 1921 so it was probably relatively quick and painless I'm afraid. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

God people would complain about anything.

A proper postcode system would make deliveries for everyone both business and consumer simpler as well as improving competition, service and cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭finty

Nadser wrote: »
    Down with post codes!

I like the fact that no-one knows exactly where I live except for the postman. The way it stands now, if people send me something to anywhere within about a 10 mile radius, it will get to me. If we had post codes, I can see a lot more post going missing if people don't get it exactly right.

Also, I really don't like the idea of a commercial company deciding our addresses!

The commercial company hasn't decided your address only designed a system that allows you to inform people how to find you, if and when you want to.

An Post being the only people who know your address allows them a monopoly so they can charge too much and provide a crappy service.......and what can you do about it, nothing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

finty wrote: »
    God people would complain about anything.

A proper postcode system would make deliveries for everyone both business and consumer simpler as well as improving competition, service and cost.

Definately needed IMO because the the amount of couriers in this country who just couldn't be arsed finding an address that doesn't contain a street and a house number is astonishing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

lawhec wrote: »
    The UK postcode on its own doesn't locate a single property, but if a building number or name is attached to it, then the mail can be successfully delivered to that property without a street name, town etc. For example if I live in 25 Ballyhackballs Avenue, Crumlinsville, Co. Dubath and my postcode is CS54 7DH, the any mail that is simply addressed "25 <line_break> CS54 7DH" can still reach where I live as those two bits of information are unique together. Most postcodes up here are not so much population allocated, but depend on a variety of factors, mainly a unique on for a street, estate etc. Some buildings in Britain (I can't remember which ones though) have their own unique postcode. Some streets or estates have different postcodes depending if the number of your house is odd or even. Some postcodes in urban areas might service hundreds of buildings, in some very isolated areas, a postcode may serve less than a handful of properties.

Thats all well and good but the problem still remains for rural non numbered houses. This garmin system pinpoints a property without any actual numbering/naming on the ground. That is a significant advantage. The best the proposed government system could hope for was to locate a village, not individual properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Given that the car reg system works so well, why didn't they just build on that ?

Having this system proprietary to one SatNav manufacturer is a bad idea, IMHO.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Given that the car reg system works so well, why didn't they just build on that ?

I came across this article earlier, it doesn't appears to be an exclusive deal to Garmin at all, they were just the initial development partners.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/0730/1224275801079.html

Silll I think the perhaps the system is almost too fine grained to use as a postcode, since you could have multiple poscodes per house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Thats all well and good but the problem still remains for rural non numbered houses. This garmin system pinpoints a property without any actual numbering/naming on the ground. That is a significant advantage. The best the proposed government system could hope for was to locate a village, not individual properties.
    Every property up here (except in Fermanagh, which still uses townlands in addresses instead of roads) has a name or number. The UK postcode system may look ad-hoc but it was developed during a different technology era and it still seems to work well today. Current postcode databases in the UK can predict TV & mobile phone coverage for example. It's quite accurate without being related to GPS co-ordinates.

The Garmin system itself looks decent enough, but as someone else said its not strictly a postcode since it gives a unique code to each building, whereas postcodes are defined by area. And looking at the resulting codes, I wonder if they're more complex than they need to be.

lawhec wrote: »
    The Garmin system itself looks decent enough, but as someone else said its not strictly a postcode since it gives a unique code to each building, whereas postcodes are defined by area. And looking at the resulting codes, I wonder if they're more complex than they need to be.

Look closer online - it can be a 6digit and refer only to your area if you want.

I'd link to the post I made in reply to that person but I'm only as arsed to do that as you were to read it the first time. :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I think its excellent. I dont know why people are complaining about it being 8 digit code.
    The phone companies have done a lot of research on this and few people can remember 8 digits. Almost everyone can remember 4 or 5 digits .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magical_Number_Seven,_Plus_or_Minus_Two

there is no advantage in using this system over grid references Or GPS coordinates , it does not produce signifigntly shorter geo tags than someone using a paper map or openstreetmap.org could produce

anyone who thinks it's a good idea to use a system where the Bog Of Allen gets more postcodes than Dublin City probably votes FF

If this is ever enforced, then I'll setup a web cam on Lugnacuilla and sue anyone who doesn't attempt delivery. ( the wicklow mountains will also have more postcodes than the area where 1/3rd of the population lives )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The phone companies have done a lot of research on this and few people can remember 8 digits. Almost everyone can remember 4 or 5 digits.

If we had a modern postal delivery system you could just write someone's landline or contract mobile number on an envelope and it would reach the correct destination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Maybe it will stop all the boggers from avoiding the TV licence inspector in future.

Mr Brown
    Bogger Rd
    Co. Kildare
    Ireland

Sure Mr Browns house has never been found

Till Now:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Ha, good one - try living down the country. New postman in an area with no house numbers and lots of the same surname, yeah that works a treat. In fact new postman or not they still get confused and post winds up all over the place.

Those signs are really working though - googling them leads to -amongst equally helpful links- this wonderful thread explaining exactly what it is, how it works and where to find it. It even has an overall positive feel to it. Even with a slap on the wrist from DCC Garmin is laughing. In fact they're probably hoping for some airtime for that and its viewed as more positive than anything.

Oh, I see. So tell me how, when you look at one of these codes, do you determine what location it refers to? You see a person's name is who the letter is intended for. The street name and number is where the house is. The town, village or parish locates the general area and the county and numerical code obviously determines the county and what region within that county. A child can grasp that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Oh, I see. So tell me how, when you look at one of these codes, do you determine what location it refers to? You see a person's name is who the letter is intended for. The street name and number is where the house is. The town, village or parish locates the general area and the county and numerical code obviously determines the county and what region within that county. A child can grasp that.

There was this man called Babbage, and....oh, never mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭PeterHughes

Looks like the Garmin postcode signs are coming down. The city council have said that the don't have any planning permission.

Also with the opening of the postal service in 2012, I think the gov are taking tenders at the moment for new postal companies, at that stage there will have to be a descision on postcodes or unique identifiers of some sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

So can a fcukin postman.

Yes, exactly, which is why An Post don't want postcodes- delivery firms would be better able to compete with them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

goose2005 wrote: »
    Yes, exactly, which is why An Post don't want postcodes- delivery firms would be better able to compete with them.
    every time there is a post code debate someone points out that the courier companies could easily join together to generate a rival post code system, but have failed to

don't blame An Post for not sharing since none of the others have either

I'm totally against any proprietery system,

A lot of people are forgetting about the post code lottery.

Once post codes come in here, things like insurance costs , and availability of services will depend on your post code and it won't be done fairly the marketing droids and beancounters will use postcodes because they are cheap and freely available, not because they are accurate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 something to say

ffs, what wrong with the one we have now? Its easy. Dublin 1. grand i know where that is 66fdknlkm57687. Oh grand, thats made things simpler.

It like when we moved to the modern car regs in 86 or 87. Year-county-order registered. It was a big 'duh, why havent we been doing this all along'. and its regulary complimented by particulary boring visitors of how sensible it is.

Yes "1" is easy..... but whats not easy is finding an exact place in that area.... and yes Dublin has 1,2,3,4,etc but where else does. This code isnt just for a regular user, think of out in the country finding your way there. This is good for delivery companies and emergency services aswell. I for one one congratulate them on such a precise and easy to use service that has already save me considerable time and money in day to day things.

Yes it gives what region within that county, but take for example an area of 20mile radius with say 50 houses in it, these are down back roads, farm tracks etc etc, you spend an hour or so going up and down those lanes looking for a place............. not good if your down one of those lanes waiting on amn ambulance or firebrigade

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Yes it is..... and in 2011 that will no longer be the case. other satnav manufacturers will have it available to them then

It is, by the looks of it, someone trying to create, then corner, a market in these "postcodes". Basically someone has figured out a simple mathematical algorithm of translating latitude and longitude into these "codes". They are patenting the algorithm, and they are now trying to make their codes "official".

Have a look at the licensing page - http://www.myloc8ion.com/licensing

The good news is that I suspect/hope their entire business can be destroyed by someone coming up with a similar system, and releasing the details and algorithms for free.
    You hope their entire business can be destroyed...... very nice of you. Why not look at the benefits you can gain from it rather than wish bad will on others

Yes he would;
    link

You should have looked it up instead of just assuming - English post codes make no sense to me that doesn't mean nobody can read them.

try reading the whole thread next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

With the government intending to introduce postcodes by year end, I'm wondering if the Garmin Loc8 codes will have much of a future?

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Communications/Postal/Postcodes.htm

Of course, the Loc8 codes would only become such if the official postcodes actually get launched some day :D

byrnefm wrote: »
    With the government intending to introduce postcodes by year end, I'm wondering if the Garmin Loc8 codes will have much of a future?

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Communications/Postal/Postcodes.htm

Of course, the Loc8 codes would only become such if the official postcodes actually get launched some day :D

I hope the Loc8 codes do keep going. I have been using them for a while now and find them extremely useful. I don't want to use a "40-50" house system that the government is proposing,when I have been using a 5m accuracy system for the past year! So if these postcodes come in Ill definitely still be using the Loc8 codes if I want something delivered or to get somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

Apologies for being less visible on Boards.ie these days but I am very busy finalising tender proposals for the National postcode.

As stated on Pat Kenny Radio show on Friday (34 mins in approx) Loc8 Code is the lead contender if a postcode tender goes ahead. (at all???)

Don't forget that Loc8 Codes (then called PON Codes) was the type of solution recommended by the Oireachtas Report On Postcodes in April last for adoption for Ireland. (Page 17)

A Loc8 code can be used in its 3 character format to satisfy a general 50 property area (a postal district or townland area) mentioned in the Irish Times last week. Put a 3 character place name in Irish or English before if you wish. It can also be used in its 6 character format to narrow it down to a small number of houses (10 or so) (The 6 characters is really 5 with an error checker added on)

But current users already know that the full 8 character code (really 7 with an 8th character error checker included) will get you to any individual property or even to a specific entrance to a property or industrial site.

These 3 formats indicate the very deliberate and carefully structured elements of Loc8 Codes that mean there are no random characters - each one is deliberate and means something and helps divide the code into 3 different and very useable elements. See example here And with a full Loc8 Code is you make a normal error - the code will idenify it itself and prompt a correction - no postcode globally is capable of doing this.

The full Loc8 Code never has to change even if there is more building and never has to get added to - it would be a finite 7+1 characters (Note that the UK postcode is 7 characters plus the property number - 2/3 numerals extra - to guide you to the door and is increasing slowly in length as the population grows - there is provision for an 8 character UK postcode plus property number - i.e. potentially 11 characters. Also remember that the postcode changes routinely in NI and UK and you can be told sorry here's your new postcode - Loc8 never has to do this - NB if the D04 method is used then at some point in the future someone will have to be told sorry one of the empty hotels is now a block of apartments and we are over the quota for the postman to deliver - you are now in D4W or D4E - same as happened with D6W!!! - none of this with Loc8 and you hang on to the D4 bit in your address anyhow - note Burlington Hotel is already using its Loc8 Code in addition to its D4 address)

Loc8 can deliver any of these formats as a National system if required and can vary the first 3 characters to suit any requirement (once they make up their mind what they want - after 6 years they still do not seem to know)

However, we know that the people already using Loc8 Codes want the full version of Loc8 Codes that will guide you to the door of any property. Have a look here and you will see tweets about some of the many who are already using Loc8 Codes on their websites to help people find them. Here you will see the 3 organsiations whose Loc8 Codes were most used in 2010

Currently Garmin licences the use of Loc8 from Loc8 Code Ltd an Enterprise Ireland backed Irish company with an international investor based in Crosshaven (Cork W8L) but the code is now open to any navigation hardware or software developer to use. An iphone application is weeks away at this point and all of TomTom, Navigon, Google, Ovi, Skobbler are assessing implementation of Loc8.
    • A National postcode was supposed to be in place by Jan 2008 - deadline missed
    • Eamon Ryan said in September 2009 that postcodes would be in place by early 2011 - deadline missed
    • DCENR said a tender would start on 3rd Jan - deadline missed
    • IT Article last week said Postcodes will in place by Jan 2012 - this is not physically possible unless Loc8 Codes are used - it will take most of 2011 to do a tender if it gets started at all - sure it took 9 months last year just to select postcode consultants!!!
    • Eamon Ryan says it will cost €15m to implement postcodes - he is not mentioning the additional €27 million that his consultants say An Post require to "agree" to having postcodes in the first place.
    As stated on the Pat Kenny radio show - Loc8 Codes are already there and in use at no cost to the state whatsoever. They will guide you to the gateway not the centre of a townland or district where you will have to ask for directions same as now. B&B's are finding them particularly useful for guests. The owner of Avlon House B&B said on the Pat Kenny Radio show that Loc8 was bringing tourists to him and he has his Loc8 Code on the Avlon website

Also Loc8 Codes can be used for non property destinations - specific entrances, tourist/heritage sites, accident spots, speed camera locations, water truck/standpipe locations, grain silos, car parking spots, taxi ranks, bus stops - all the things that a postcode that indicates the centre of 50 properties cannot do. With huge outdoor events coming to Ireland (North & South) in 2011 and 2012 - Loc8 is ready to be used for these - access points, emergency exits, medical areas, tent locations, car parks, trade stands, toilet facilities - they all can have Loc8 Codes at outdoor events - mentioned in Seacsapes on Friday Night Last (about 10 mins in)

Even if a tender started now there will be no code in Ireland other than Loc8 Codes until at least Mid to late 2012.

Loc8 has a full team with high profile partners ready to bid for this tender - however the public must decide what they want as for 6 years now neither the Government nor the Dept of Communications has been able to make up their minds or achieve anything.

Does the public want a postcode that on an iphone will guide you Mobhi Road and tell you you are arriving at DCU (100's of metres away) or take you to a lake in the country and tell you that you are arriving at the guest house (several Kilometres away)? Meaning that it will be useless for drivers, couriers, TV aerial installers, carpet layers, Fridge delivery men, guests or tourists etc etc - An Post will have no problem as they have a postman that knows already but what about all the others - An Post do not need a Postcode and it will cost them €27 million to take it onboard anyhow

OR

Do the Irish people want that An Post continues to use the technology and local knowledge they have now to deliver mail and everyone else uses the smarter Loc8 code that is suited to the GPS and mapping that is available on phones satnavs etc and that will guide everyone right to within +/-6 metres of the intended destination. And will be able to support finding other than just properties including your tent at the Electric picnic or your boat at Cork week? Is this what modern Ireland needs? Many think it is and it is already available and at no cost to the state and is also being used in Northern Ireland where the existing postcode does not do the things Loc8 Code can do??? If this is what you want - then there is no need for €15m + €27m to be spent on this - hospitals could do with it instead!

In the meantime - Loc8 is an elective system - you decide if you want/need it for your location or not - and if you want it you get it for free from the Loc8 Code Map Website

.............and by the way when there is discussion in the media about adding placenames to a postcode - remember that at least 50% of the population would not have the placename of where they live on the code they are given - if that proposal is used. Why? - because there will only be 200 post towns and all surrounding towns and villages will have to use the post town name on their postcode - so Buttevant will have to use Mallow as its postcode - Tara will probably have Navan, Eadestown will have Blessington, Rush will have Swords and so on throughout the country... and dont forget the hundreds of areas that will be using the names of post towns even in different counties (Waterford, Athlone, Dundalk Areas)... it is worth thinking this through a little more!

Anyway Loc8 can be modified to suit whatever they decide on - but right now it is deliberately independent of all that and Language neutral and already available and in use on both sides of the island.

It is worth having a read of all the Frequently asked questions and answers here

By the way - if you have a Loc8 Code just stick it onto the web addess and it will appear on a Map - Loc8 Code's own Loc8 Code is Cork W8L-82-4YK - add this to www.loc8code.com/W8L-82-4YK and your on the map.

Note W is Cork and W8L (Loc8 Zone) is Crosshaven
    N is Dublin (N for National Capital) and RTE in Donnybrook is in NN4 (Loc8 Code Zone) which if they wish can be D04-NN4

Forgot to say that Loc8 is still growing - right now looking for new Research Engineer: http://www.myloc8ion.com/news/we-are-looking-for-grad-research-programme-engineer-rd-project-with-fusion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Delphic

garydubh wrote: »
    As stated on Pat Kenny Radio show on Friday (34 mins in approx) Loc8 Code is the lead contender if a postcode tender goes ahead. (at all???)

Eh - no they didn't say that if you listen to it. They say that Loc8 probably will be one of the companies that might tender for the postcode system for the Government. RTE don't do product endorsements and if you keep claiming that they do, they might take offence....
    Don't forget that Loc8 Codes (then called PON Codes) was the type of solution recommended by the Oireachtas Report On Postcodes in April last for adoption for Ireland. (Page 17)

Another inaccuracy. This is not the final version of the Postcode Report as has been pointed out to you before. You are misleading people unless you refer to the finalised updated report which cites other codes. The Report does not recommend PON Codes. It says that Unique Identifiers are what should be used and says PON Code (no longer in use) and Go Code are two examples. Government Committees don't do Product endoresements, and if you keep claiming that they do, they might take offence....
    Loc8 can deliver any of these formats as a National system if required and can vary the first 3 characters to suit any requirement

Does that mean all of the Loc8 codes that have been issued to people could all change if you're asked to by Govt?
    Currently Garmin licences the use of Loc8 from Loc8 Code Ltd an Enterprise Ireland backed Irish company with an international investor based in Crosshaven (Cork W8L) but the code is now open to any navigation hardware or software developer to use. An iphone application is weeks away at this point and all of TomTom, Navigon, Google, Ovi, Skobbler are assessing implementation of Loc8.

You said all of this three/four months ago but it's still only Garmin.
    IT Article last week said Postcodes will in place by Jan 2012 - this is not physically possible unless Loc8 Codes are used - it will take most of 2011 to do a tender if it gets started at all - sure it took 9 months last year just to select postcode consultants!!!

If it's taken since 2006 and counting to try and get Loc8 codes used on other devices besides Garmin, and still not have them, you could argue that it might be 2020 before you might have them working. Even a Govt backed code would be done faster than that. Or other location codes that are on the market.
    "Anyway Loc8 can be modified to suit whatever they decide on - but right now it is deliberately independent of all that and Language neutral and already available and in use on both sides of the island."

So in other words, you'll stand by your latest design until such time as you are standing in front of the tender panel and you'll change to whatever they want in order to get the gig.
    N is Dublin (N for National Capital) and RTE in Donnybrook is in NN4 (Loc8 Code Zone) ...

You're having a laugh. N = National Capital and W = Whatever you like to make it look like you haven't just put letters in order around the country.

Why not have Dublin as L= Largest population in Ireland or J= Jackeens. Or CHR = cute hoors - or maybe that should be reserved for Crosshaven? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

This Government don't consider doing things that won't cost the State anything, this simply does not happen, how could they not award millions to some of their cronies, even at the initial design stage?
    Even the never built Bertie Bowl cost millions. Existing codes that work perfectly well have no chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭garydubh

In Answer to the other question raised:

Loc8 Code was designed and tested over several years as PON Codes and launched as Loc8 Code on 12th July last. It was featured on RTE Six One News at the time.

The Report does not recommend PON Codes. It says that Unique Identifiers are what should be used and says PON Code (no longer in use) and Go Code are two examples.

Garydubh actually says Pon codes were the TYPE of solution recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Delphic

The Report does not recommend PON Codes. It says that Unique Identifiers are what should be used and says PON Code (no longer in use) and Go Code are two examples.

Garydubh actually says Pon codes were the TYPE of solution recommended

Of course he does. The report doesn't say that though. It simply references two codes Pon Code and Go Code. It doesn't mention Loc8 at all in fact which is an 8 character code that is different in design from Pon code.

Advertisement