Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breakfast!?

Options
  • 04-01-2011 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

So I started my new years resolutions of being off the drink and eating healthy but the main problem I've found is.. what does someone who is off carbs/high carbs eat for breakfast?

Boiled eggs are great, but can't have them every day. I eat fruit but I do be hungry an hour later.

Salad is what I have every day for lunch so I don't want to eat that twice a day.

So what is a nice breakfast with less than usual carbs that doesn't involve bread or cereal.

I'm all out of ideas :(

Cheers!

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Cold meat/tuna and cheese is a fast and easy breakfast, add a little baby spinach and shredded carrot with some olive oil vinaigrette on top for some extra goodness.

I don't think I could ever get sick of eggs personally, the variety of egg muffins is never-ending. So many good things about eggs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

I make scrambled eggs daily (2 eggs with butter, salt & pepper) and after 8 months of doing so I still enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Sorry to continue the eggs trend but an omelette is a great breakfast, throw in some type of meat, cheese and a few veg and you're good to go.

Poached eggs are good also! :D

Frogdog wrote: »
    Sorry to continue the eggs trend but an omelette is a great breakfast, throw in some type of meat, cheese and a few veg and you're good to go.

Poached eggs are good also! :D

Teehee! So hard to get away from eggs at breakfast-time! What does sapsorrow do I wonder? Poor girl is allergic to them.

Found a good recipe for coconut pancakes:

2 eggs
    2 tablespoons coconut oil or melted butter
    2 tablespoons coconut milk or whole milk
    1/2 teaspoon honey/molasses (only a little for a tiny bit of sweetness)
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons sifted coconut flour
    1/8 teaspoon baking powder

Blend together eggs, oil, coconut milk, sugar, and salt. Combine coconut flour and baking powder and thoroughly mix into batter. Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a skillet. Spoon batter onto hot skillet making pancakes about 2.5 to 3 inches in diameter. Batter will be thick but will flatten out when cooking. Makes about 8 pancakes.

Adapted from: Cooking With Coconut Flour by Bruce Fife

I'm gonna try these this weekend, very little omega 6 compared to almond flour. I wonder do they keep for long?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Red Cortina

Sykk wrote: »
    So I started my new years resolutions of being off the drink and eating healthy but the main problem I've found is.. what does someone who is off carbs/high carbs eat for breakfast?

Boiled eggs are great, but can't have them every day. I eat fruit but I do be hungry an hour later.

Salad is what I have every day for lunch so I don't want to eat that twice a day.

So what is a nice breakfast with less than usual carbs that doesn't involve bread or cereal.

I'm all out of ideas :(

Cheers!
    How many carbs are you restricting yourself to each day?
    My breakfasts these days are either leftovers from dinner the night before or else a couple of rashers or eggs with either a carrot and parsnip mash or a sweet potato mash....

• Advertisement

Teehee! So hard to get away from eggs at breakfast-time! What does sapsorrow do I wonder? Poor girl is allergic to them.

Found a good recipe for coconut pancakes:

2 eggs
    2 tablespoons coconut oil or melted butter
    2 tablespoons coconut milk or whole milk
    1/2 teaspoon honey/molasses (only a little for a tiny bit of sweetness)
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons sifted coconut flour
    1/8 teaspoon baking powder

Blend together eggs, oil, coconut milk, sugar, and salt. Combine coconut flour and baking powder and thoroughly mix into batter. Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a skillet. Spoon batter onto hot skillet making pancakes about 2.5 to 3 inches in diameter. Batter will be thick but will flatten out when cooking. Makes about 8 pancakes.

Adapted from: Cooking With Coconut Flour by Bruce Fife

I'm gonna try these this weekend, very little omega 6 compared to almond flour. I wonder do they keep for long?
    I've tried coconut pancakes before using a recipe that I found on the Girl Gone Primal blog and I found that they didn't seem to fill me up at all... :confused:

I've tried coconut pancakes before using a recipe that I found on the Girl Gone Primal blog and I found that they didn't seem to fill me up at all... :confused:

Dang, might be nice for a treat/dessert though. Hmm, will report back on thread on how they turn out, I'm an awful cook, so if I can make them, anyone can.

Dang, might be nice for a treat/dessert though. Hmm, will report back on thread on how they turn out, I'm an awful cook, so if I can make them, anyone can.
    I dunno, I've tried a few other recipes from that blog and they were a bit dodge TBH so maybe your one might be nicer. When I made them I tried absolutely drowning them in butter to give them a bit more substance or something. And when that didn't work I resorted to using them as a vehicle to lorry the jam into me:o Not. Good. That's when I decided to not bother making coconut pancakes again:(

On the other hand I have had some success with and have enjoyed sourdough buckwheat crepes made using Stephen Guyenet's recipe.

I dunno, I've tried a few other recipes from that blog and they were a bit dodge TBH so maybe your one might be nicer. When I made them I tried absolutely drowning them in butter to give them a bit more substance or something. And when that didn't work I resorted to using them as a vehicle to lorry the jam into me:o Not. Good. That's when I decided to not bother making coconut pancakes again:(

On the other hand I have had some success with and have enjoyed sourdough buckwheat crepes made using Stephen Guyenet's recipe.

Oh, you've reminded be to try them, but, so much faff! I'm not very good at planning what I eat 48hrs in advance, but I must get around to trying them.

I've heard that coconut flour can be excessively dry so that might contribute to the 'nothing' taste. I'm thinking less sugar vehicle and more strawberries and cream vehicle. :)

I've heard that coconut flour can be excessively dry so that might contribute to the 'nothing' taste. I'm thinking less sugar vehicle and more strawberries and cream vehicle. :)
    I think 'excessively dry' sums it up nicely! Nice thinking on the strawberries and cream idea:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

oh deffo +1 on those egg muffins, the recipe i use i got of Pembily. Have not made them in an age.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

For a treat on weekends, I make almond pancakes, using this recipe:

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breakfast1/r/lowcarbpancakes.htm

Nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

This morning for breakfast im cooking diced lamb with herbs and spices and some garlic and onions and will throw them onto a salad with home made dressing.
    Should only take a few mins to do the whole lot.But i guess salad might be out.
    If your getting any exercise afterwards porridge seemed to help me energy wise.I believe most of the carbs are burned off in my case.

I was thinkng too since your using salad for lunch in work it must be the convenience of not having to nuke your yesterdays dinner in a microwave.
    If thats the case you could still eat yesterdays dinner left overs for breakfast at home.
    Ive heard your breakfast should be one of the best meals of the day,but a doctor said that so it could be BS lol
    When your off carbs and sugar etc it takes some imagination with breakfast especially i think.
    The only way i have been able to survive on my no carbs/sugar diet is eating porridge with a quarter tablespoon of manuka honey between meals and before i go out jogging in the morning.
    I believe they are complex carbs and not so bad in sugar,carbs,salt.
    I guess in my case its best to err a little than alot.

My last thought is that maybe you would be better off eating two salads a day anyway.The breakfast one could be cooked meat that morning.Or have left over dinner with a side salad.
    Thats me out of ideas for now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

How many carbs are you restricting yourself to each day?
    I'm not really keeping track..

I just avoid all starch carbs.. Pasta, Spuds, Rice and Bread.

As well as all take away food. Chinese, Pizza and Chipper.

Okay egg maniacs... I had 2 boiled eggs for breakie this morning but I'll scramble them and try other stuff from now on :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I have a breakfast smoothie every morning, which contains fruit [I change around what I put in], milk [Soya or Skimmed] and a scoop of a branded protein/vitamin power [dont want to get into trouble for commercial plugging] :)

that keeps me full up until lunch, no bother [that would be the protein doing its work!]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

What about stuffing some portobello mushrooms with bacon and cheese and heating them up for brekkie?

Other ideas:

Egg muffins
    Cold sausages
    Cheese & cold meat
    Baked eggs
    Cheese Souffle
    Crustless Quiche
    Frittata with salmon and asparagus
    Creamy mushrooms
    Soup
    Stuffed tomatoes

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭celtic-chick

hi ulstudent,any chance of having the recipe for Pembily's egg muffins

I've made these before:
    http://girlgoneprimal.blogspot.com/2010/07/recipe-bacon-wrapped-mini-frittata.html
    I made 6 of them one saturday morning and they were so nice that I had eaten them all by lunchtime:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

I've made these before:
    http://girlgoneprimal.blogspot.com/2010/07/recipe-bacon-wrapped-mini-frittata.html
    I made 6 of them one saturday morning and they were so nice that I had eaten them all by lunchtime:o

Thanks for that.Its given me a few ideas and it looks amazing.Im trying to do a primal diet myself but finding it hard to stay off porridge everyday,especially in the mornings.
    Might try make my own version of these today :D

thanks red cortina.they look tasty,i'll give them a go this weekend.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

hi ulstudent,any chance of having the recipe for Pembily's egg muffins

They are actually El D's recipe but i'll link the proper one later as on phone now!?

I just whisk 6eggs, courgette(grated), spinach, pepper (chopped small), onions, smoked salmon, and tomato (chopped small)! You can add cheese I don't eat it! Whisk well and pop into a muffins tray at 180 celsius for about 10 min! They microwave very well and keep for about 5 days :D I've used ham bits (less fat than bacon) and any other combos you can think of!

thanks pembily.lots of new recipes to try out this weekend:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

I have a breakfast smoothie every morning, which contains fruit [I change around what I put in], milk [Soya or Skimmed] and a scoop of a branded protein/vitamin power [dont want to get into trouble for commercial plugging] :)

that keeps me full up until lunch, no bother [that would be the protein doing its work!]

I was thinking of starting with berries and yogurt for breakfast and then moving to smoothies in the summer. Do you think the protein powder is really a big plus? I'm not a breakfast eater usually and I don't get hungry 'till lunch anyway. I'm really just looking at it as a way of having a light breakfast and increasing my fruit / berry intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Pembily wrote: »
    They are actually El D's recipe but i'll link the proper one later as on phone now!?

I just whisk 6eggs, courgette(grated), spinach, pepper (chopped small), onions, smoked salmon, and tomato (chopped small)! You can add cheese I don't eat it! Whisk well and pop into a muffins tray at 180 celsius for about 10 min! They microwave very well and keep for about 5 days :D I've used ham bits (less fat than bacon) and any other combos you can think of!

Thanks for that. Would they freeze well, do you think?

Advertisement