Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather warning / Road Condition thread 2010 / 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭doc_17

Is the gap closed? Heard a wee rumour there...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Last I heard the gap was passible with care, report on either newstalk or ocean at about 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

doc_17 wrote: »
    Is the gap closed? Heard a wee rumour there...

it was this morning but there is a fairly heavy thaw right now so might be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

was raining up the mountain top earlier :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

Most of the snow is gone down this way now as it rained last night, it was mad around Donegal town earlier today though no snow until a few miles outside the town and you just hit a mad amount of snow in the Donegal town area like a different world.

• Advertisement

roads are lethal today with the rain and frost last night. Black ice all over the place!

i heard 4 gritters have gone off the road too.

Pic below from Annagry (seen it on someone's Facebook)

138114.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Yeah heard that too, the road between newtown and bridgend isn't gritted either, there are a good few cars, and even a lorry overturned according to my OH, she's just go done to work, and is refusing to drive back this evening its that bad :o

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭nonsmoker

My estate is still like a bottle :(
    I know they have to do the main roads but Donegal is such a huge county there are loads of people living off the main roads who are stuck until roads improve.
    Is it true that only 20% of roads in Donegal are treated?

Nope its 20% nationwide so i'd imagine that number would be a good bit less in donegal, given the amount of backroads we have.

That and the fact that despite hearing all week on the news that there was no end to the salt, Highland news had on last night that DCC are now using only grit on our roads and no salt!!!!! again because we are in the black north no-one cares, so long are dublin have enough salt :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,922 ✭✭✭✭muffler

nonsmoker wrote: »
    Is it true that only 20% of roads in Donegal are treated?
    See link in this post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Myself and neighbours spent 2 hours yesterday clearing hill to our houses. Gritted it at 4.30 pm yesterday (council left us a wee pile of the stuff). Other than that no one would have got anywhere.

Nope its 20% nationwide so i'd imagine that number would be a good bit less in donegal, given the amount of backroads we have.

...again because we are in the black north no-one cares, so long are dublin have enough salt :rolleyes:

20% nationwide is even worse!
    Thats true, the amount of attention on Dublin all week, typical same as start of the year we had snow for weeks and no word about it till it hit Dublin.

Heard on Highland during week that Joe McHugh was thanking the council for gritting the Harry Blaney bridge as it wasnt included in the gritting areas. Think that bridge really needs to be gritted or else it should be closed when there is frost/snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

The footpaths are absolutely terrible in Letterkenny tonight, I just went across the road to the shop and nearly fell countless times. Its literally impossible to walk on any kind of slope so I just had to walk on the road for the most part.

Obviously the roads are full of ice as well but at least they dont have that sheet of compacted snow on them

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

Anybody know if the gritters are out tomorrow Sunday?
    I see the Council site says 24 hours but did not see anything about Sundays.

Thanks,
    danjo

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

These are the days for the broken bones etc. When people start to think that the thaw has set in and become less carefull. At least you can see the snow, even when compacted to a sheet of ice, black ice you don't see until it's to late. Turned on to a main road this morning at around 10.30, pure ice, no sign of any grit/salt.

** Avoid the N13 between newtown and Bridgend **

Its lethal! No gritters have been or will be on it tonight tomorrow morning! I just lifted the other half from work and she was talking to her uncle, who drives a gritter for the council, who came into the cafe today and he said that the road will not be gritted.

That is unacceptable if you ask me! How in under god can they justify not gritting one of the busiest roads in the county? The road is in terrible state, its trying to freeze over but due to the volume of traffic on the road at the minute its not getting a chance to its getting broken up, i would not like to have to use this road later on when the traffic dies down!

danjo wrote: »
    Anybody know if the gritters are out tomorrow Sunday?
    I see the Council site says 24 hours but did not see anything about Sundays.

Thanks,
    danjo

According to this the gritters are out tomorrow
    http://www.highlandradio.com/2010/12/04/gardai-and-council-issue-road-warnings/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

More snow forecast for tomorrow, Monday 6th Dec. Could hit from around 8a.m until mid afternoon. Forecast says up to 15cm possible... could be rain on coastal area. So if it starts to snow and you are at work.. might be well taking an early trip home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Nicoladuff

Arrrh, Do you think snow will fall in around letterkenny?? Hope not!! The roads were lethal this morning:(

I wonder how much grit is wasted?

I was in the car today and we were behind one of the gritting lorries, looked like more grit was ending up in the hedge that on the actual road

A family member who lives on the main street of a small town was telling me that they know when the gritter is out because of the noise of all the grit hitting their front door

Another family I know said their garden wall which is next to the road is covered in grit

This is 3 instances where grit is obviously not even making it onto the road, no wonder they are running short and the roads are so bad...

• Advertisement

Nicoladuff wrote: »
    Arrrh, Do you think snow will fall in around letterkenny?? Hope not!! The roads were lethal this morning:(

Could get some tomorrow looking at the BBC weather site and the UK met office site, weather warning in place for NI (met office), and snow showers for around midday arcross NW ireland (BBC).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

irish-stew wrote: »
    Could get some tomorrow looking at the BBC weather site and the UK met office site, weather warning in place for NI (met office), and snow showers for around midday arcross NW ireland (BBC).

From the UK Met Office...
    Widespread Icy Roads & Heavy Snow Mon 6 Dec

Outbreaks of rain will spread into Northern Ireland during Monday morning, falling onto frozen surfaces and leading to a risk of widespread ice. Later in the morning, there is a risk that the rain will turn to heavy snow, giving fresh accumulations.

Issued at: 1701 Sun 5 Dec

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html?day=1

The BBC have a link here showing major snow for tomorrow...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/10209

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

i have to go to dublin on tuesday , it could be an interesting trip :D,
    anyone been to harveys point in the last few days ? that road is totaly crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

nonsmoker wrote: »
    I wonder how much grit is wasted?

I was in the car today and we were behind one of the gritting lorries, looked like more grit was ending up in the hedge that on the actual road

A family member who lives on the main street of a small town was telling me that they know when the gritter is out because of the noise of all the grit hitting their front door

Another family I know said their garden wall which is next to the road is covered in grit

This is 3 instances where grit is obviously not even making it onto the road, no wonder they are running short and the roads are so bad...

This is just a case or the operators not knowing how to operate the equipment, all gritters are adjustable both in direction and quantity, by that I mean that gritters are designed so if they are gritting a motorway for instance, they can drive in the slow lane and the grit is favoured to the right of the vehicle so they don't have to make a second pass. anyway I do get your point and maybe its just a matter of putting a deflector on the spinner to stop the overshoot, also in town sometimes that overshoot might not be a bad thing as it would go on the footpaths as well which wouldn't be a bad thing really. I suppose if a gritter is going to be going from main roads to minor roads quite often which is the case in Donegal it's not practical to be changing those settings too often .

Anyway Im gona get me one of these!!https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/252924/138318.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭minichunkies

just home from work and main roads in Letterkenny are lethal. Gritters have not been out at all. Bad accident up the mountain top outside the Ford garage, road was blocked. Had to wait 20 minutes till the fire brigade we're finished.

Be careful out there boardsies!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Just done Lifford to Letterkenny, easily passable with care (feck i sound like highland radio).
    A mate has just done Derry to Letterkenny and that is not too bad either.
    The dual carriageway into Letterkenny is the worst bit by far. Down to one lane and its a little bit slippy.

Just have a bit of sense and you should be ok.

Theblueirish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

snowing in Letterkenny now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Still snowing heavily in Letterkenny! It was freezing hard here last night, so the roads where already dodgy (slight sideways skid going around the bend, and up the hill, at aldi/gortlee), even though they looked ok.
    With this fresh snow - you need to be very cautious!

• Advertisement

mrmac wrote: »
    Still snowing heavily in Letterkenny! It was freezing hard here last night, so the roads where already dodgy (slight sideways skid going around the bend, and up the hill, at aldi/gortlee), even though they looked ok.
    With this fresh snow - you need to be very cautious!

Is it even possible to get up that hill, i'd go the extra distance past the back of the IT, the national school, the church and the swilly inn. How it it going down that hill. Also heard Oatfeild hill was impassable at times.

Advertisement