Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin buses canceled?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Got out of work early, in TP Smyths and trying to figure out how to get to the far side of Blanchardstown. It's unbelievably busy seems there's a lot if people trying to sort things from the warmth if a pub.

Loving the hot whiskey by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

I left work on baggot street at 3.05 with the intentions of walking to coolock,

I got as far as connely by 3.35, was lucky enough to get a 27.
    just arrived home now. not too bad I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Dublin Bus website was a mess before today. Twice this week, I checked the site before leaving the house and found the bus service completely contradicted the information issued.
    Seems to be a real disconnect between what HQ rules and what is transmitted to the drivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Not sure how quickly it's updated, but even accessing the site today was tricky.
    How's everyone else coping?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Was in town trying to get home from college, the Guards said all buses were cancelled.

Only saw one bus go by and after that all were out of service.

So I walked home :)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I was prepared for the battle back home after work, but a 7 pulled up just as I was walking to the bus stop. T'was travelling quite slow but got me to the far side of Blackrock without any bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,911 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭omg a kitty

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Severe-Weather-Disruptions/

all last buses will be at 8 o clock

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

From what I can see most buses aren't operating at all. But those that are will continue to operate until 8pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭trevorku

What about the people who cannot get home tonight? Fare enough the buses cannot go on the icey roads, but imagine some people stuck in the city, especially those from commuter towns, and they cant get home, no money, nowhere to stay? Will people be sleeping in the bus shelters or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

trevorku wrote: »
    What about the people who cannot get home tonight? Fare enough the buses cannot go on the icey roads, but imagine some people stuck in the city, especially those from commuter towns, and they cant get home, no money, nowhere to stay? Will people be sleeping in the bus shelters or what?

Trains and Luas are still running. Other than that, taxis or I suppose you'd have to stay in town

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Dublin Bus driver hubby has been waiting on the quays for a bus to drive since 6.00. Basically any buses that are out are struggling and since they are finishing at 8 a lot of people will be waiting on buses that won't come. The journeys are taking 10 times longer than usual to complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Gillo wrote: »
    Not sure how quickly it's updated, but even accessing the site today was tricky.
    How's everyone else coping?

The train is your best bet they are still running, get to connelly before it shuts again and get to clonsilla.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Just rang DB on an internal line.

Drivers have been told to pull in if they think its unsafe......

Interesting afternoon indeed Superscouse.....almost total collapse of communication system following a lightning strike on the Three Rock Mountain radio mast.

This was compounded by the overall situation in the City Centre which essentially was a collapse of whatever Roads and Traffic systems were there.

Parnell Square was effectively blocked from 1400 to 1800 by a succession of buses unable to get traction on the uphill gradient.
    One driver got stranded broadside at the Granby Row end and set in motion a chain reaction which fed back as far as Christchurch.

It was a carbon copy of the events of earlier this year in the exact same location which if nothing proves our rather spectacular reluctance to learn from past mistakes.

Provision of a plastic container of salt at this and other strategic locations would have allowed the initial problem to be dealt with speedily,but twas not to be.

What is of greater importance is the complete collapse in communication between Head Office and the Front Line.

Controllers advising drivers that they had to exercise their discretion as to whether to operate or not is most assuredly NOT a sign of a Company which has confidence in it`s own systems.

The absolute worst element is the non-availibility of definite information.
    Putting a large sign in the Head Office window advising the public of a Suspension of Service would at least have allowed people to make alternative arrangements.

Instead,people were fed ambiguous and even quite obviously incorrect information in some misbegotten attempt to prove to the National Transport Authority that everything is great,boss,just great ...no problems at all...well there surely were problems today and great BIG ones too,but very few of them within Dublin Bus`s remit to solve.

It should also be noted that in those four hours only two Gardai arrived towards the end of the situation to cast a withering gaze over the chaos and ask a private coach driver why he had "Parked" his coach skewways ....that was one mighty lucky Garda that did`nt find himself flat on his ass with his cap in his gob!!!!! :mad:

At 1720,the City Council put in an appearance with a Gritter which did much to get the place untangled,but by then it was far too little,far too late.

I did hear however that the Government Emergency Committee managed to get themselves into gear this evening to discuss how well the emergency response plan was going.....I suspect we will see a expert review group set up to expertly review stuff.

Something is wrong here,very wrong.

I fully accept that these weather conditions are harsh,although well and accurately predicted for over a week now.

I am sick of hearing of the 55,000 tonnes of treatment stockpiled,but yet I have the very strong suspicion that Local authorities are reluctant to pay the overtime rates to get staff out early and late and as a result the gritting is being carried out in the thick of traffic by only a few good men !

Dublin Bus`s and Dublin City`s situation rather reflected the state of the country in general...Nobody Willing to Take a Decision....plenty of executives,but all very busy at other stuff.

I`m happy enough that I did my best,as did most of my colleagues today,however there has to be a cut-off point at which the risk outweighs the benefit of continued operation without the support systems in place and that point arrived this afternoon. :(:(:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

It was an almighty mess up by both Dublin Bus management and Dublin City council today.

I wouldn't for a second blame a driver for refusing to drive a bus in those conditions. The driver on the 150 at lunchtime today was doing his level best to keep the bus under control but it was drifting and sliding around every turn. It was as unsafe for passengers on the bus as it was for him.

But this thing of conflicting information is crazy. The website said minor disruption to routes (in between site downtime), RTÉ said a minimal service, one bus driver was under the impression they were done for the day, an inspector insisted there were only curtailment to services. How are you supposed to make arrangements when you don't know what the situation is!

Someone needed to weigh up the situation and make a call - to continue with service, albeit with curtailments, or call an all out stoppage. At least with an all out stoppage, people can plan to make alternative arrangements, instead of going in vain to a bus stop in the belief their bus will probably show up, or might show up, when in actual fact it wouldn't as the route was stopped. Feeding conflicting or vague information like this does nothing only piss members of the public off no-end and I imagine that unfortunately it's the drivers themselves that bear the brunt of this dissatisfaction.

As for DCC, there's absolutely no point in sending a gritter and salt truck crew out to try and relieve a blockage in rush hour traffic. They need to be out gritting at lunchtime, clearing the roads in preparation for the evening rush. Shut streets to clear them if you have to. Situations like today need proactive planning, not reactive action.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Situations like today need proactive planning, not reactive action.

+1 Kensington.

However I`m convinced that we are not being given the full story behind this scenario.

The absence of support services throughout the Dublin Region is blatantly obvious.

There are issues surrounding the area of Working Time Directives (Anti-Productive Nonsense in the main) and Health & Safety laws (again of dubious benefit) but for a Capital City to comprehensively collapse for the second time in 12 months is entering Oscar Wilde territory.

When will any of the senior administrators have the decency to tell the full truth and be done with it.

Ah well..back up at 0500 to see what it like then :)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

The situation this afternoon/evening was so ambiguous. I feel in such scenarios they should switch buses to a Sunday timetable, since most routes on Sundays are limited anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

walked home from work today as a result... finished at about 8 ish

heads up to anyone that liffey valley shopping centre was meant to be open til 9 tonight was empty.

shops began closing around 6 and 7 because everyone was worried about getting home

only dunnes and vue remained open.

dunno whats happening tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

robbie_998 wrote: »
    only dunnes and vue remained open.

What a surprise..stayed open in town too, the one I used to work in and the other 2. They were very busy and Dunnes wouldn't close unless it was dead. Lifey Valley though, that's quite the walk home!

I got the impression when I left my house from the db website that everything was fine! Stranded again, ended up walking to my sister's in ringsend. So frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Fortune_Cookie

The situation this afternoon/evening was so ambiguous. I feel in such scenarios they should switch buses to a Sunday timetable, since most routes on Sundays are limited anyway.

Early this morning, a 78A driver actually told me they were running a Sunday service today. There was no mention of that at all on the Dublin Bus website today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

There was a full weekday service being operated insofar as it was possible....then everything went, as AlekSmart eloquently outlined, into meltdown.

Instead of two buses I managed with a train, two trams and a fair amount of walking to get home!

Having the Irish Rail, LUAS, Dublin Bus and AA Roadwatch websites all crash simultaneously due to overload did not of course help, but you'd have to say that either a Facebook page or Twitter account should be activated asap to get accurate information out in the event of the problems of yesterday recurring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

According to the Dublin Bus website this morning, the 38A was 'operating as normal' and as the 6:52 bus into town regularly doesn't show up, they were true to their word when it didn't show up this morning. Operating as normnal indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I got the train to Castleknock (delayed for an hour because of the problem in Tara St as discussed in the other thread) and then walked to Castlecurragh.
    Halfway between 2 stops I was passed by a 38 - I hadn't even known they were still running.

I frantically ran to the next stop waving my hand but I was going to miss it by about 250 metres.

And the bus stopped between stops to let me on :) - fair dues mister driver, you probably broke a few regulations but it was very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

KC61 wrote: »
    but you'd have to say that either a Facebook page or Twitter account should be activated asap to get accurate information out in the event of the problems of yesterday recurring.

It's a pity that http://twitter.com/dublintransport which is linked of the Transport for Dublin page belonging to the City Council couldn't be better utilised to provide information...

H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Having the Irish Rail, LUAS, Dublin Bus and AA Roadwatch websites all crash simultaneously due to overload did not of course help, but you'd have to say that either a Facebook page or Twitter account should be activated asap to get accurate information out in the event of the problems of yesterday recurring.

http://twitter.com/IrishRail not good enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

TheChrisD wrote: »

I really meant Dublin Bus in that regard! No one had any notion for some time as to what was happening yesterday.

I put the Irish Rail link up several times here yesterday in response to queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

I really meant Dublin Bus in that regard! No one had any notion for some time as to what was happening yesterday.

Ah. Yes, DB are god-damn useless in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Polar101

Playing the popular guessing game on www.dublinbus.ie. At the moment it says:

"236 Unable to serve Ballycoolin"

That bus only really goes to Ballycoolin, so cutting that part of the route wouldn't make it a very useful service. I'm hoping it means tomorrow the buses won't go to Ballycoolin Industrial Estate, but will use Ballycoolin Road instead. Does anyone know what's the situation there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Polar101

Polar101 wrote: »
    "236 Unable to serve Ballycoolin"

So, this actually meant the bus does an U-turn in the corporate park, but the 40d behind it didn't have any trouble following the normal route. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭The_Wrecker

This website is a bit hit and miss.
    The 7 is out of Loughlinstown, but the 111 is still in there?
    The 84 is removed from the Sea road but the 84X is ok in there?

Advertisement