Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combo Box recommendation - Help!

Options
  • 25-11-2010 1:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

I've been looking to buy a combo box for some time and have narrowed it down to two 'affordable' options as below:

Edison Argus VIP2 HHDTV @ 218 Euro

or

Ferguson HD combo @ 170 Euro

Can anyone provide some advice? Is the Edison box worth the extra near 50 Euro? Feature-wise they both look the same - what is the difference?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭cauliflower69

• Registered Users Posts: 26 budgi3

do either of these have a 7day satellite epg ?

actually, is there any combo box with 7 day satellite and terrestrial epg?

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

budgi3 wrote: »

I think only linux boxes can do this with special software installed. Or HTPC's.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭shinobi

Some of the higher end combo boxes. Dreambox DM8000 HD does 7 day EPG for both satellite & terredterial. Possibly the best combo going, twin DVB-S2 & Optional third DVB-T tuner. Pricey at approx ~ €900.

Some Success with AZBox. Theres lot of messing about to get it half working it's a bit hit & miss though to get 7 day satellite EPG. Enigma 2 being developed for it at the moment & may make a decent box out of it (Hopefully as I have one). Pricey enough at approx €350 with single DVB-S2 tuner & you'll need to get DVB-T tuner for approx €50.

Not sure about the VU+ Duo HD. But it's similarly priced to AZbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭patrickpc

Thanks for this list.

Just to get back on topic though. Does anyone know of any reason why the Edison box is worth €50 more than the Ferguson Ariva ? Is the interface so much better or is it more future proof ? I think I read somewhere that the Ferguson channel editor is more cumbersome?

Has anyone got experience of both or can give an informed opinion please ?

After yesterday's budget €50 is a lot of cash.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

patrickpc wrote: »
    ?

After yesterday's budget €50 is a lot of cash.. :)

We havn't had the budget yet! :eek:

the Edision you linked to is €180 so only 10 in the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

John mac wrote: »

the Edision you linked to is €180 so only 10 in the difference.

It is without VAT! Which is also going up!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rurs

The main difference I can see is that the Edision has more flexible recording options, ie two recordings at once, watch a third (within limitations). With the Ferguson (which I have), you can have one recording going, watch a second.

Also, the Edision has modular tuner cards, so you could swap the DVB-T tuner for a second DVB-S2 tuner (+ 2nd dish & Diseqc switch) next year if Saorsat is successful, and then you would have a true dual tuner receiver with PVR capabilities.

I'm quite happy with the Ferguson so far, almost everything works reliably (teletext is buggy), PQ is excellent, interface very usable, remote is comfortable.
    If you see yourself doing lots of recording/have lots family members vying for TV, maybe the extra €50 is worth it.

The editor is a bit clunky, but it does work, and is free. I think you have to pay a third party for an editor for the Edision.

They can all "do" 7 day EPG, it's just that none is provided from Astra 2/Eurobird.
    Sky & Freesat use separate proprietary formats, not conforming to DVB standards.
    I think the VU+ duo (another linux box) can be set up to get 7 day EPG for UK channels.
    It would be nice to have, but personally, I haven't found it that much of a inconvenience over the last 8 months or so that I've been using a combo. The schedules are fairly predictable across the main channels.

12 element wrote: »

I thought it was just €180 as well but that's until I got to the check-out and saw the 21% VAT added. Total = 218.70.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stanley1

vuduo does this, using vix image you can choose between rytec or crossepg, some images support dtt (usb stick), blackhole, gigant etc.

rurs wrote: »
    The main difference I can see is that the Edision has more flexible recording options, ie two recordings at once, watch a third (within limitations). With the Ferguson (which I have), you can have one recording going, watch a second.

Also, the Edision has modular tuner cards, so you could swap the DVB-T tuner for a second DVB-S2 tuner (+ 2nd dish & Diseqc switch) next year if Saorsat is successful, and then you would have a true dual tuner receiver with PVR capabilities.

I'm quite happy with the Ferguson so far, almost everything works reliably (teletext is buggy), PQ is excellent, interface very usable, remote is comfortable.
    If you see yourself doing lots of recording/have lots family members vying for TV, maybe the extra €50 is worth it.

The editor is a bit clunky, but it does work, and is free. I think you have to pay a third party for an editor for the Edision.

Thanks for the feedback - from what you are saying the Ferguson is just as usable as the Edison for day to day purposes. I'm a little confused about what the channel editor is however - can you explain? Is it a piece of software for a PC to sort the channel list before loading it onto the box via USB or am I on the wrong track?

Thanks again for the feedback. All other comment welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

I'm quite happy with the Ferguson so far, almost everything works reliably (teletext is buggy),

One of the firmware updates fixes a teletext bug.
    Latest version is 25 BETA!

http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/download/HD-Satellite-Receivers/Ariva-HDcombo/

Thanks for the feedback - from what you are saying the Ferguson is just as usable as the Edison for day to day purposes. I'm a little confused about what the channel editor is however - can you explain? Is it a piece of software for a PC to sort the channel list before loading it onto the box via USB or am I on the wrong track?

Thanks again for the feedback. All other comment welcome.

That's it exactly, or you can do it on the box itself, or I could send you the one I've made, save you all the bother:D

It'd be interesting to hear from any VIP2 users, but it seems most people went for the mini version, but I think they're fairly similar in operation.
    One of the firmware updates fixes a teletext bug.
    Latest version is 25 BETA!

Don't worry, I'm keeping my eye on the firmware:)

The teletext bug that was fixed (in v23) was one that was introduced in v22 when they added Czech characters, the bug I'm on about is different (scrambled subpages)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭John mac

12 element wrote: »

Barstuards , hate sites that do that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

John mac wrote: »
    Barstuards , hate sites that do that. :)

Is it not mandatory to have VAT inclusive prices?

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/Guides-to-Consumer-Law/Prices/Tax-inclusive_prices.html

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hairy Ned

I am very interested in the Edison Argus VIP2 HHDTV just wondering dose any of you guys know if this box reads the sky free view card to receive ch 4 hd and ch 5 hd.

Cheers
    Damien.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

no
    It doesn't

C4 HD will be on Freesat before long and Five HD eventually.

Thanks watty what about Ferguson HD combo, dose any of the combo boxes read the free view card.

no. Only a Sky digibox reads a Sky card reliably

Some expensive high end Linux boxes can be persuaded to use a Sky Card. But you can't know if it will work tomorrow. Sky are determined for reasons I won't go into here to prevent Sky Cards working in anything other than a Sky box. Especially ANY box that can read a card and connect to Internet.

Forget about Sky cards. The days of those for FTV are seriously numbered anyway. Soon Sky Cards will be only Promotional or PayTv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Apogee

Hairy Ned wrote: »
    I am very interested in the Edison Argus VIP2 HHDTV just wondering dose any of you guys know if this box reads the sky free view card to receive ch 4 hd and ch 5 hd.

Cheers
    Damien.

According to slegs, the Argus Mini will read a FTV card. See here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=68799902&

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Guys

I have the Argus VIP2. It does read the Sky FTV card. I use it successfully to get the extra channels. You need to use ILTV's firmware. It's a beautiful box, I have it configured with DVB-T and S.

The only thing I hate about it is the sluggish EPG. This may be an issue with all boxes, I am not sure but basically, you have to select a channel (probably a transponder) before it's Now/Next EPG updates. So in terms of usability, the EPG on it is annoying.

Let's say, I was watching BBC1 at 5pm, then I watch some other stuff until 9pm. If I now bring up the EPG grid and scroll down to BBC1, it shows a Now/Next program guide for 5PM until I actually select it - then it updates. So effectively you cannot use the EPG.

However Sky may stop that working tomorrow and the FTV card has little future.

dnme wrote: »
    Guys

I have the Argus VIP2. It does read the Sky FTV card. I use it successfully to get the extra channels. You need to use ILTV's firmware. It's a beautiful box, I have it configured with DVB-T and S.

The only thing I hate about it is the sluggish EPG. This may be an issue with all boxes, I am not sure but basically, you have to select a channel (probably a transponder) before it's Now/Next EPG updates. So in terms of usability, the EPG on it is annoying.

Let's say, I was watching BBC1 at 5pm, then I watch some other stuff until 9pm. If I now bring up the EPG grid and scroll down to BBC1, it shows a Now/Next program guide for 5PM until I actually select it - then it updates. So effectively you cannot use the EPG.

Can anyone let me know what the EPG is like on the Ferguson Ariva Combo box - is it better that the VIP2 ?

Thanks.

Can anyone let me know what the EPG is like on the Ferguson Ariva Combo box - is it better that the VIP2 ?

Thanks.

Ariva Combo EPG

With the Ferguson, you have to change channels to see the EPG info, so at least it's consistent between DTT and SAT, whereas I believe the Edision uses a grid a bit like Sky, where you can scroll around channels without changing what's on, but this leads to the problem mentioned above.

I seem to remember reading that you can't access the EPG on the Edision mini whilst recording, you can with the Ferguson, don't know about the VIP2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Ariva Combo EPG

With the Ferguson, you have to change channels to see the EPG info, so at least it's consistent between DTT and SAT, whereas I believe the Edision uses a grid a bit like Sky, where you can scroll around channels without changing what's on, but this leads to the problem mentioned above.

I seem to remember reading that you can't access the EPG on the Edision mini whilst recording, you can with the Ferguson, don't know about the VIP2.

The Edision Mini 2n1's dont let you switch between DTT and Sat whilst recording.

The Fergusons do (infact there are not many that do allow this). The Clarke Tech 5000c have stopped doing this as well which is something that has fallen out in the firmware, I'd guess.

The population of the epg grid is the same for most boxes .ie watching one channel for a while, say a DTT channel and the epg for the sat will be a few hours old. Click that station in the epg and the epg updates from the transponder. That is nearly the same on all Now Next boxes. The Ferguson epg population is a strange one then. That could be fixed in the software. As with all these Combo boxes the issue is memory and chipset - as limitations go.

Just found an interesting combo box that is linux based and less than €200, that is not the alligator or qbox mini. I'll post it if its any use.

I havent seen the Edision VIP2 and wondered what the difference was between that and the mini that justifies the extra cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

The whole EPG thing is such a mess. Jesus in 2010 and we still can't see what's on the dam tele. Surely it would not be beyond the realms of possibility for a software update that might pole the EPG when the box was not busy. Or a poling service that ran every 5 mins even.

Or even better still, a web service that allows boxes to pull an EPG down from the web (for boxes with network).

We have gotta stop calling it EPG. It's not an Electronic Program Guide. It merely tells us whats on now and next on the current channel - that's hardly a guide.

Come on technology! giddy up

STB wrote: »
    The Edision Mini 2n1's dont let you switch between DTT and Sat whilst recording.

The Fergusons do (infact there are not many that do allow this). The Clarke Tech 5000c have stopped doing this as well which is something that has fallen out in the firmware, I'd guess.

The population of the epg grid is the same for most boxes .ie watching one channel for a while, say a DTT channel and the epg for the sat will be a few hours old. Click that station in the epg and the epg updates from the transponder. That is nearly the same on all Now Next boxes. The Ferguson epg population is a strange one then. That could be fixed in the software. As with all these Combo boxes the issue is memory and chipset - as limitations go.

Just found an interesting combo box that is linux based and less than €200, that is not the alligator or qbox mini. I'll post it if its any use.

I havent seen the Edision VIP2 and wondered what the difference was between that and the mini that justifies the extra cash.

Thanks for the feedback. I would be interested in finding out the name of that other Linux box you mentioned if you could send on a link please?

@dnme: the EPG situation is annoying, but only because the UK broadcasters don't use DVB standards. For example, if you were looking for a combo box to view Saorview and German satellite, you would have 7 day info for both.

Realistically, the kind of systems you mentioned are never going to be implemented by Ferguson, Edision or anyone else other than committed Linux programmers, as the market (Ireland, and a few enthusiasts in the UK) is just too small.

The only way I can see it happening is post 2012, when there is more capacity at 28.2 E, and maybe Skys stranglehold on the UK and Ireland beams might be less, and the BBC and ITV etc. might decide to include DVB standard EPG data alongside the proprietary Freesat data. A lot of mights...

@STB: the Ferguson does work the way you describe for Now/Next, it's just presented differently, there's nothing technically wrong with it.

• Advertisement

if you have the frequency details of a channel can it be manually entered into the Edision Argus Combo Receiver rather than having to auto tune the box.

Advertisement