Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you love about Waterford ....

Options
  • 17-11-2010 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

similar to the Twitter thing about Ireland ..... just a bit of positivity!

1 - Coming back over the bridge after being up the country
    2 - Clonea Strand
    3 - The Blackwater as it flows by Lismore castle
    4 - County Hurling final day
    5 - The Blues when they win
    6 - seeing the new bridge about 10 miles away when coming down the motorway & knowing I´m nearly home ...

(I know this is the city forum but WE are all Deise, aren´t we?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Arthur Scargill

Tayto Cheese and Onion Blaas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

comeraghs wrote: »
    1 - Coming back over the bridge after being up the country

6 - seeing the new bridge about 10 miles away when coming down the motorway & knowing I´m nearly home ...

I have to agree with you there, im a Dub, made honorary Blaa, living here nearly 11 years now, so it is deffo a sight that feels good :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭snuggles09

Tramore in the winter when the wind is howling and the waves are massive and you stand on the pier in your wellies and rain coat with your hood up and get soaked..then go get vinegary chips:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

After coming back from holidays I hate coming across the bridge. I always see some skanger that makes me depressed to be home.

But I will have a think of some positive things...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

For me:

A Skittles Cocktail in Harveys

bumping into a friend in town and going for a coffee/pint

christmas eve in red square. Always a nice buzz around.

Taking 45min to eat a Tacco Pizza in Apache pizza on a Saturday night and the staff never throw you out.

That view that looks over dungarvan just past the turn off to Ring on the Way to Cork.

A bridge Lift cause it always makes me smile thinking back(only because as a young lad I never saw one and always had it in my head that it was like a paddys day pirade in New York with confetti and all)

I'll also mention seeing the bridge when you've been away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

The finest looking birds in the country...............but unfortunately probably the most stuck up as well:(

Dont worry I wont slam the door as I'm leaving:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Joey leBlanc

jimbojazz wrote: »
    The finest looking birds in the country...............but unfortunately probably the most stuck up as well:(

Agreed! That's why most of my friends (me included) are going out with girls from elsewhere in Ireland & the world!! Sorry Waterford wan's but tone down the attitude. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,581 ✭✭✭deisemum

As another honorary blaa that married into the place I have to say the charming men :D

Also how friendly people are towards strangers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

For me :

The best fish & chips in the world (Johnny Walkers)

The best chipper in the world (The Cleaboy)

Blaas

Sausage Blaas

Rasher Blaas

Crisp Blaas

Our beautiful accent

Beautiful beaches

Beautiful countryside

Hoffmans (when we had it)

The Maryland

Our beautiful Polish women

Our beautiful Waterford wan's

The fact that Waterford is 100 times better than KK

I have travelled a fair bit around the world and when people would ask me what part of Ireland im from,i would always proudly say Waterford and then go on to explain how it is the best county in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

1. Sitting in Downes for a pint with friends.

2. Going up the mountains for a picnic.

3. Swimming in the Guilamenes.

4. The amount of very good restaurants we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

1. Crossing the bridge after being up in Dublin for the day.
    2. Coming down the Cork Road past WIT on the way back from Cork.
    3. Sitting in front of a roaring fire in Grimes while having pints and bacon fries.
    4. Red Square in the evenings run up to Christmas.
    5. Wandering around town aimlessly and finding some new alleyway or street you've never seen before.
    6. Spraoi
    7. The Forum at New Year's Eve
    8. Going out to Newtown Cove when it's lashing rain with ridiculous winds, just to see the huuuuuge waves. Same goes for trying to run along Tramore Promenade with waves crashing over the rails.

I'm struggling lads. Leave it with me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

jimbojazz wrote: »

Jim totally agree with you there, I never met so many stuck up women in Waterford but not all of them are like that, I was over in Liverpool last weekend and the ladies were very friendly and chatty, unlike if you chat a girl up in Waterford, Its like how dare you chat me up:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

That big spooky run down place overlooking the whole town imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭digitaldeath

The daily piebald races on the outer-ring road. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

One of my favourite things about Waterford is the word 'well'.
    Jim totally agree with you there, I never met so many stuck up women in Waterford but not all of them are like that, I was over in Liverpool last weekend and the ladies were very friendly and chatty, unlike if you chat a girl up in Waterford, Its like how dare you chat me up:D

Ah, at least the Polish ladies made the local lassies up their game :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ardmore- the round tower, the Cliffhouse and the pottery
    Mahon falls and the magic road
    Stradbally cove in winter
    The Towers, between Lismore and Fermoy
    Lismore cathedral
    The sense of peace in Mount Mellary
    The Nire Valley

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Some from me:

1. Pubs like Downes or the back rooms of the Munster
    2. The run-up to Christmas in the square - although it would have been cheaper to buy my own carousel!
    3. Fish and chips on the Tramore seafront on a blowy day out of season - if there's anything more to life than simultaneously burning your mouth on red-hot chips and nearly freezing to death then I don't know what it is
    4. Being so close to so many beautiful places for a day out with the kids - Dunmore, Garrarus, Mahon Falls, Comeraghs, Kennedy Park, Annestown, Bunmahon, Lismore....
    5. Our festivals - Spraoi, Harvest, Dungarvan Food, Bluegrass....
    6. The new Crystal centre and the fact that we have a fantastic and improving historic quarter for next year's tourist season, plus the tall ships are back!

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bog

The-Rigger wrote: »
    That big spooky run down place overlooking the whole town imo.

Kilkenny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm struggling lads. Leave it with me...

You can be out of it in 5 mins?

• Advertisement

I just don't want to list "the Cork Road" as something I love about waterford...i'll be back with my list later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 foxylad2

5 of the best award winning chefs/Restaurants outside Dublin -
    Arnaud from L'atmosphere
    Bodega for good food
    L'Boheme voted top 5 most romantic restaurants in Ireland
    Paul @ The Tannery
    Cliff House

love
    Spraoi
    Harvest Festival
    Opera /Music Festival

Am feeling like an ambasabor for
    Waterford Crystal
    Undercrofts
    Reginalds Tower and its cannonball
    French Church
    Waterford Treasures
    Bishops Palace
    Christchurch Cathedral
    The Mall

all the bars on John St - no where like it -
    all your night life in one street
    pub crawls finishing up in Istanbul

love Christmas -
    the buzz around the carosel
    lights on Barronstrand st
    the cold wintery breeze on the quay

what i miss -
    working the kitchens in The Ardree -
    my first week we catered for a function of 990 (c 1982)
    and this was a regualar Sat night
    Conferences, the grill bar, the restaurant overlooking the city
    the bar - very 70's, the view from the 5th floor (where the restaurant should have been )
    some one please bring it back to its former glory !!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.overstream.net/view.php?oid=l2naupeqenen

This is what I love about waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Wonderful restaurants, particularly La Boheme, L'Atmosphere, La Taverna (the three LA's!), Café Goa...

Dunmore... need I say more?

Some really beautiful urban views. Henrietta St always reminds me of Italy for some reason. John Roberts Square (apart from those silly things outside Sam McAuley's), the Mall (particularly since de Glass went in there). O'Connell St is such an elegant street - it would be nice if it could all be spruced up.

Some superb local businesses: Ardkeen Stores, World Wide Wines.

The view of the Quay at night was always fantastic, but I'm growing to love the view of the city from the M9 just after Mullinavat. You feel like you're arriving in a big city (and then you end up in Waterford :p). It's quite spectacular.

The new bridge... the biggest and most spectacular in the country.

Blaas

Supporting the Déise (and for some reason I just love the combination of blue and white - is it that it's very aesthetically pleasing, or is it just the association that we make with our beloved hurling team?)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I do love the hurling (and I'm not a fan of the sport even though I watch all the major games on a Sunday) and the buzz it creates around the town how you can talk to any pisshead on a night out and how everyone thinks they are................... (Ah one of the presenters of the Sunday game).

I like the Hidden Gems and places around the city that only you or I know about but everyones is different. Cup of Coffee, Nice sandwich anything really.

Great Idea for a thread BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

I'm currently living back home in Tipperary, but was living in Waterford City for 6 years (3 for college - different places, but another 3 working there a living in Adelphi Quay). Just reading through these posts, i gotta say i miss the place. The buzz around this time of year and the lead up to christmas is amazing there. The lights, the busy shops and most recently the carousel, it's amazing. I used to love just taking a walk around the square after work in the evenings.

What i miss most though is "Ah sher we'll have the one pint in the Three Shippes for the match."...................6 hours later, falling out of Muldoons or Harveys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

glad someone mentioned the istanbul , i would kill for one , i miss them so much ..... best take away in the world , not even waterford....... or ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

Blaas

Our beautiful accent

The Waterford sense of self deprecation

The beauty all around, mountains, valleys, the coast line

The history that can be seen by just taking a walk down to the shops

Being the oldest city in Ireland

The music scene was always brilliant and I hope it stays that way

I was a moody teenager who left Waterford at 17 vowing never to come back... I was being silly though... Back in the town 5 years now and I don't ever want to leave again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Our beautiful accent

Come on now, that's got to be a joke right??
    The town accent is the worst accent in the country by 1000 miles!

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭cbmonstra

Come on now, that's got to be a joke right??
    The town accent is the worst accent in the country by 1000 miles!

;)

Worse than a Cork one?

Worse than a Dublin one? Staaaaryyy Buuuudddd?

I love my accent. :cool:

Advertisement