Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL 22" TV - MPEG2 from Thursday 11th Nov

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭marclt

So where does leave things...

We write in relation to your recent email regarding the television that we are selling in our store.
    We have contacted our Purchasing Department and they have advised us of the following:

"The government only recently decided on the technical requirements being used to receive Saorview. Therefore retailers did not have sufficient time to adapt their technology. As a result almost no retailer on the Irish market is selling a TV that has the DVB-T Receiver ( with MPEG 4) and MHEG 5. Lidl on the other hand will sell a 32" Full HD TV on 11th November that has both components built in. This ensures that the product fully works with the service as it meets the relevant specification. Due to the MHEG 5 it also is capable to receive the digital teletext as well as the electronic programme guide. Other retailers in Ireland though will continue to sell TV's without the above mentioned technology built in. It is still possible to get a standard TV compatible with Saorview, as there will be set top boxes sold on the Irish market by retailers like maxview that carry the "SAORVIEW" logo. These boxes are put between the TV and the digital terrestrial aerial."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭irishchris

looking at lidls website they either are still selling a mpeg 2 tv or have not updated site

22" full hd
    spec
    With built-in DVBT tuner & external DVBT rod aerial (MPEG2)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It probably has Mp4 which IS NOT MPEG4 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

DVB-T Receiver ( with MPEG 4) and MHEG 5. Lidl on the other hand will sell a 32" Full HD TV on 11th November that has both components built in. This ensures that the product fully works with the service as it meets the relevant specification. Due to the MHEG 5 it also is capable to receive the digital teletext as well as the electronic programme guide.
    I shall examine box tomorrow, if any left :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

marclt wrote: »

We write in relation to your recent email regarding the television that we are selling in our store.
    We have contacted our Purchasing Department and they have advised us of the following:

"The government only recently decided on the technical requirements being used to receive Saorview. Therefore retailers did not have sufficient time to adapt their technology. As a result almost no retailer on the Irish market is selling a TV that has the DVB-T Receiver ( with MPEG 4) and MHEG 5. Lidl on the other hand will sell a 32" Full HD TV on 11th November that has both components built in. This ensures that the product fully works with the service as it meets the relevant specification. Due to the MHEG 5 it also is capable to receive the digital teletext as well as the electronic programme guide. Other retailers in Ireland though will continue to sell TV's without the above mentioned technology built in. It is still possible to get a standard TV compatible with Saorview, as there will be set top boxes sold on the Irish market by retailers like maxview that carry the "SAORVIEW" logo. These boxes are put between the TV and the digital terrestrial aerial."

That statement nearly creates more questions than it answers. Is the 32" a typo? Are they saying that it WILL pick up the MPEG 4 transmissions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The government only recently decided on the technical requirements being used to receive Saorview. Therefore retailers did not have sufficient time to adapt their technology.
    Version 1 of the receiver specification appeared in Dec 2008, how much time did they need?

I assume they are referring to version 2 of the minimum receiver spec which was published the same week the Saorview trial was launched. There was no change in the technical spec between v1 and v2 - DVB-T/MPEG-4/MHEG-5, appears just to be an update to meet v2.2 of the Nordig requirements.

More to do with increasing consumer awareness and emails I would guess.
    As a result almost no retailer on the Irish market is selling a TV that has the DVB-T Receiver ( with MPEG 4) and MHEG 5.

Power City and the Expert Electrical stores have been advertising Irish DTT ready products since earlier this year albeit some not Saorview certified. I purchased a Sony that has DVB-T Receiver ( with MPEG 4) and MHEG 5 from Peats in July. Others also if you know what you're looking for.
    Other retailers in Ireland though will continue to sell TV's without the above mentioned technology built in.
    But the question is will Lidl continue to sell MPEG-2 only products beside MPEG-4 ones?
    It is still possible to get a standard TV compatible with Saorview, as there will be set top boxes sold on the Irish market by retailers like maxview that carry the "SAORVIEW" logo. These boxes are put between the TV and the digital terrestrial aerial."
    I assume what Lidl is saying is "it is still possible to make a standard B]MPEG-2 Lidl[/B TV compatible with Saorview" by adding a Saorview compatible STB.

Maxview "Saorview-certified" STB's???

Will Lidl be selling "digital terrestrial aerials" next?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Verso

The Cush wrote: »
    Power City and the Expert Electrical stores have been advertising Irish DTT ready products since earlier this year albeit some not Saorview certified. I purchased a Sony that has DVB-T Receiver ( with MPEG 4) and MHEG 5 from Peats in July. Others also if you know what you're looking for.
    /QUOTE]

I agree with The Cush here. I purchased a couple of Irish Digital ready LG TVs and a Sanyo TV from Power City earlier this year and all receive the Irish digital channels perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

That response completely contradicts the reply I got on 5th November from the Purchasing Dept., through the Customer Service area, which stated that the 22" (not 32") TV was MPEG-2 only and they knew it was MPEG-2 :rolleyes:

Here's the extract from that email:

Dear Mr xxxx,

We write to you following your recent email regarding the Television which we have advertised on the 11th November 2010.

We wish to advise you that our Purchasing Department have contacted the manufacturer and they have confirmed that this model of television is MPEG 2 and it does not support MPEG4, this is stated on the specification of this model. Unfortunately we are unable to assist you any further with your query.

Assuring you of our best intentions at all times.

Regards,

xxxxxxx

So one department in Lidl are denying what another department in Lidl have already confirmed. :(

Not a single Lidl ...or Aldi .... Digital TV sold in Ireland is capable of showing an RTE TV Broadcast Digital signal. They are a disgrace the pair of them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭marclt

Best to avoid I think.. but this is the problem - the average Jo/e won't be able to tell.

If RTE et al want to drive people to Saorview (and the BAI have an interest in this because they will want to proceed with their flawed commercial plans as soon as launch proper commences) then they need to start publicising NOW.

With the Christmas and New Year sales period upon us, people will want to buy gifts or treat themselves. Approved manufacturers (are we up to 2 yet??) will eventually badge up their products but retailers need to have the publicity material to properly advise.

There really is no excuse for this lack of public information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

currys are now advertising 2 tvs as "mpeg4 irish dtt compatable" in the papers this morning. they have 2 other tv's in the same ad which they dont mention as dtt compatable.... so at least they are starting to realise irish dtt is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

currys are now advertising 2 tvs as "mpeg4 irish dtt compatable" in the papers this morning. they have 2 other tv's in the same ad which they dont mention as dtt compatable.... so at least they are starting to realise irish dtt is here.

The ads are not in the Indo or Times, in the tabloids I guess. There was the Currys and PC World Christmas flyer in the Irish Times today and in yesterday's Limerick Post but in two pages of TV adverts not a mention of MPEG-4 or Irish DTT compatibility.

Maybe the ads in the papers are a damage limitation exercise following the thread over in the Currys and PC World forum.

DID advertise their non mpeg4 'tvs' as being an "LCD" instead of a TV on the strapline. It is an LCD :)

Currys and DID are not the worst offenders by any means, unlike the Germans and their Mpeg2 cack.

I dropped in to my local Lidl this morning. All the 22" TVs and 24" monitors have been sold. Nothing on the poster for the TV to indicate any potential issue with Irish DTT. Oh well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

Had a look, MPEG2 on the box nothing about saorview or Irish DTT. Definitely no mention of MPEG4.

It was just a MPEG2 set, that can only do HD via HDMI. So no good for ANY Digital TV here and no good for HD TV DDT in UK.

I have photographs. But just camera phone.

They mis-described the PC monitor beside too. I have 8 year old Monitors that are higher resolution. 1920x1080 is only TV HD. No mention if it's 60Hz or 50Hz. But a DVI 1920x1080 monitor is likely 60Hz. No use as an HDMI screen for Sky or UPC box (no HDMI). A "Full HD" in a description only applies to TV use. It's not a "tuner-less" TV screen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Re mis-selling/mislabelling at ALDI and LIDL - I was in ALDI yesterday and they now have signs pointing out that ASO will happen in 2012 at which point these TV's will not work without purchasing a set-top box - can't remember the exact wording but fair dues to them they do make it clear the TV tuners will stop working.

The signs I saw were at the checkout - you know up on the wall where they usually have the "If you wish to purchase XYZ that is too valuable to leave out on the shopfloor where some of you gurriers might nick it... please contact the manager...." - since they don't have any TVs on sale the the moment I don't know if they make these signs more prominent when they do.

It will be interesting if Lidl follow suit as regards labelling MPEG-2 TVs. I have asked them repeatedly to at least flag the sets as being incompatible with Saorview.

watty wrote: »
    It was just a MPEG2 set, that can only do HD via HDMI. So no good for ANY Digital TV here and no good for HD TV DDT in UK.

I have photographs. But just camera phone.

They mis-described the PC monitor beside too. I have 8 year old Monitors that are higher resolution. 1920x1080 is only TV HD. No mention if it's 60Hz or 50Hz. But a DVI 1920x1080 monitor is likely 60Hz. No use as an HDMI screen for Sky or UPC box (no HDMI). A "Full HD" in a description only applies to TV use. It's not a "tuner-less" TV screen

BTW a 100% re-call + refund on the Monitors due to a serious safety issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    I am still wondering though - which public servant or public body bears responsibility for monitoring this mis-selling?
    I was thinking of getting a new TV but after a few evenings reading the threads on DTT here i'm not sure. My idea was to go FTA satellite and DTT....

anyway, ref dowtchaboy's question, what about the CAI?
    www.cai.ie

• Advertisement

JonathonS wrote: »
    question, what about the CAI?
    www.cai.ie

Bought off years ago by being put on the ( don't laugh) Comreg "Consumer Advisory Panel" .

Have not said a polite boo about any shenanigans or shystering in the ICT sector ever sinces such as 'unlimited' broadband or that 3g cack that runs at 50k.

You could waste your time with them :( but I consider them as tainted as Patrick Neary was by Anglo .

• Registered Users Posts: 31 springhill6

Re LIDL TV set not SAORVIEW compatible.
    I too bought 22 inch Lcd TV MPEG2 from Lidl for Eu 199 in November 2010, and having read article in Irish Independent saying TV may be useless
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/that-new-christmas-tv-could-soon-be-useless-2459527.html
    realised I might have a dud, and luckily packed in box and rushed back here in Cork, and got money back.
    and purchased their 22" Full HD LED TV for Eu 199 on 16 Dec, which has MPEG4 and Mheg5.
    link to their ad if still exists.
    http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20101216.p.22inch_UltraSlim_FullHD_LED_TV
    and am very happy with this set. Phew, wasn't I lucky.

You don't even need the packaging. Just proof of purchase. Which doesn't have to be a receipt.

Aldi also has given refund on TV over a year old. They don't even have a compatible one to resell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

You don't even need the packaging. Just proof of purchase. Which doesn't have to be a receipt.

Aldi also has given refund on TV over a year old. They don't even have a compatible one to resell you.

Well they know now Watty. Cara, their Purchasing Manager was contacted in November. Hence the signs of non compatibility. They cant keep taking returns on specials. As they only stock TVs from time to time I am sure they will get it right next time they are stocking an LCD.

LIDL's prompt response of stocking the right product will hopefully have spurred all of them into action. Tesco's need to get their act together as do M&S. I havent checked out Harvey Norman.

Harvey and Currys are very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 springhill6

Because they are not legally obliged to do so and it would hurt sales.

I'm sure they will refund anyone bringing back a TV that is "not fit for purpose", which keeps them within the law.
    Re LIDL 22 TV in MPEG2 Silvercrest bought 11 December 2010 returned to LIDL.
    Following reading of erudite threads I am much wiser. When I brought back TV in Cork, it was 33 days from date of receipt. Manager said it was over 28 days and so out of date, she said come back following day as store manager would be back at work. I told her about article in Irish independent saying TV set would be useless at Christmas.
    http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20101216.p.22inch_UltraSlim_FullHD_LED_TV

I returned following day and store manager said he was doing favour for me as 28 days had expired, and refunded money. That is why I was grateful. So 'not fit for purpose' for up to 2 years is useful knowledge.

Tesco also have a short time period. But they told me if someone insists, then they ring up HQ and HQ always refunds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jacob2

lidl are selling a 32 inch toshiba tv today for 249 euro wen i checked out the model its the older model went to powercity and got the newer model for 240 euro its a amazing wen u shop around

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

we don't drag up old threads. Particularly one that was barely on topic in the first instance.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement