Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Trial Service Launched - 29 Oct 2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭AstralTV

cant wait to see 'jeremy kyle'

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

The RTE text service is working on RTENL 1 which I assume will have to be switched off once TV3 is populated on that space.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I am getting the test HD pictures on Channel 6.

LG 3100 <<< the box doesn't suggest the TV is HD.

I am missing Jeremy Kyle hopefully I will get the Emmerdale and Corronation Street repeats. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The RTE text service is working on RTENL 1 which I assume will have to be switched off once TV3 is populated on that space.

The Green button MHEG5 EPG is giving me "loading" at the moment but the signal is so disentegrated from Wind Farm interference that it can't get as far as loading with pixelating or going to "No Signal".

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭reaper180

epg gone again here on channel 3 was on for about 15 mins ,now back to rtenl transmission

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Got an email from the Dept.

Under the Broadcasting Act, 2009 the roll out of Irish national free to air digital terrestrial is the responsibility of RTÉ and they will be able to give you information on its availability.

Earlier this year, Minister Ryan signed a statutory instrument (SI 85 of 2010) which requires RTÉ to have free to air DTT available to 90% of the population by the end of this month. RTÉ have informed the Department that the service will be available from 29th October from 24 sites.

RTÉ will be launching, in the coming days, a website for their DTT service www.saorview.ie , where you will be able to get further information. I have also been informed by RTÉ that the current Saorview approved receivers are:

Walker Technology Products Ltd

Walker WP10DTP & WP11DTP set top box receivers
    Walker WPxx (19”-46”) MP4 range of iDTV sets

and further information on this will be available on www.saorview.ie website once it goes live in the next few days.

So, only 24 sites, and from today. With TV3

Sam Russell posted the above email in another thread, it indicates 24 sites are available from today, didn't make the 28 sites that Conor Hayes said would be available by the end of Oct.

This is the list from another thread from last August, wonder which of the sites listed in RED are now active to make 24 active sites?
    The Cush wrote: »
    28 sites by Oct 2010 - 94.5% population coverage
    1 Mullaghanish Co. Cork
    2 Truskmore Co. Sligo
    3 Clermont Carn Co. Louth
    4 Three Rock Co. Dublin
    5 Mount Leinster Co. Carlow
    6 Cairn Hill Co. Longford
    7 Kippure Co. Wicklow
    8 Maghera Co. Clare
    9 Woodcock Hill Co. Limerick
    10 Spur Hill Co. Cork
    11 Dungarvan Co. Waterford
    12 Holywell Hill Co. Donegal
    13 Greystones Co. Wicklow
    14 Castlebar Co. Mayo
    15 Forth Mountain Co. Wexford
    16 Arklow Co. Wicklow
    17 Gorey Co. Wexford
    18 Suir Valley Co. Waterford
    19 Waterford
    20 Tonabrocky Co. Galway
    21 Collins Barracks Cork City
    22 Crosshaven Co. Cork
    23 Mitchelstown Co. Cork
    24 Knockmoyle Co. Kerry
    25 Drogheda Co. Louth
    26 ?
    27 ?
    28 ?

49 sites by Q2 2011 - 97.2% population coverage
    29 - 49 ?

51 sites by Q4 2012 - 98% population coverage
    50 - 51 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

My tv has a built in reciever so if i get a uhf aerial will i be sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭lookinbusy

Hi folsk, I still have my old sky box connected (no contract) and can get the BBC and stuff, but does this saorview thing mean I can now tune in RTE on that box too? what settings should I use ? I checked the saorview web site but it seems not to be working properly as I can't get onto the 'recieving channels' page

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

My tv has a built in reciever so if i get a uhf aerial will i be sorted?

Does you TV have Mpeg4 capability? if so then with a proper aerial you will be able to receive it providing you are within the coverage area. If you are on the fringes you may need a masthead amplifier and power supply also.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Does you TV have Mpeg4 capability? if so then with a proper aerial you will be able to receive it providing you are within the coverage area. If you are on the fringes you may need a masthead amplifier and power supply also.

It has mpeg4 capibility. I'm in west cork so not sure about coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭AstralTV

lookinbusy wrote: »
    Hi folsk, I still have my old sky box connected (no contract) and can get the BBC and stuff, but does this saorview thing mean I can now tune in RTE on that box too? what settings should I use ? I checked the saorview web site but it seems not to be working properly as I can't get onto the 'recieving channels' page

no you need a saorview reciever or saorview set top box and an aerial,
    its not available by satellite unless you subscribe to sky.

information galore on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Cush wrote: »
    Sam Russell posted the above email in another thread, it indicates 24 sites are available from today, didn't make the 28 sites that Conor Hayes said would be available by the end of Oct.

This is the list from another thread from last August, wonder which of the sites listed in RED are now active to make 24 active sites?
    Drogheda according to my sources is NOT happening. See http://www.techtir.ie/tv-radio/Irish-DTT-Sites

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Maybe a silly question, but being a furriner, how do you pronounce 'saor'?

Alun wrote: »

Say-er

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

sare as in fare

Edit: maybe thats a posh pronunciation!

homer911 wrote: »
    sare as in fare

Edit: maybe thats a posh pronunciation!

I was trying to think about this because it is not Say or, because the Say is to sharpe. I would go with Fare Saor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Depends on your accent. A Donegal person may say it as in 'fear', and with a 'wee roll' on the r.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

I pronounce it "free".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just did a rescan, no TV3. Which frequency should it be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Dunnie1982

Digital aertel still not working on rte, I get all the menus but no text. If i change my country setting to UK I get aertel working fine, but my channels are all mixed up & don't start till 800, as opposed to 1 when country set to Ireland. I have a Samsung LE37B650 does anyone else have this problem or a solution? I'm using the old analogue Aertel for the moment. Now that the service has officially launched, RTE will hopefully fix this sooner rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I have a series 4 Samsung which doesn't have the MPEG5 Text service unless the UK set up is used.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think there has been a rethink. TV3 data has disappeared from the EPG on RTENL1. The whole EPG is not working well anyway, I got asked to rescan as well. So maybe TV3 will have to wait. Maybe the cheque has to clear first.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tom Slick wrote: »
    I pronounce it "free".
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

mike65 wrote: »

*ALL* the content is on the same channel

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I have a Panasonic TX-P37X2OL MPEG4 TV all RTE digital channels are in the correct positions but a message came up saying new channels found and when i did a rescan a channel positioned at 800 labelled TG4 but with no service or epg info came up. Has anyone else picked this up. I am picking up DTT from Maghera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Dunnie1982 wrote: »
    Digital aertel still not working on rte, I get all the menus but no text. If i change my country setting to UK I get aertel working fine, but my channels are all mixed up & don't start till 800, as opposed to 1 when country set to Ireland. I have a Samsung LE37B650 does anyone else have this problem or a solution? I'm using the old analogue Aertel for the moment. Now that the service has officially launched, RTE will hopefully fix this sooner rather than later.

This is a problem with your TV not RTE's problem.

Manufacturers only have MHEG5 for the fancy text turned on in UK mode because they have used MHEG5 for years and its part of their country profile.

Despite OUR spec being out in the wild since Feb 2008 lazy manufacturers havent added MHEG5 to the country profile for Ireland. Hence whilst you are using UK settings to counteract this it positions anything that doesnt recognise as a UK broadcast in the 800s (its called Logical Channel Numbering or LCN and exists to sort such problems in border areas). You can short circuit this by adding the stations to your favourites if you cannot edit the LCN Number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

mike65 wrote: »

Not yet. Soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Peddyr

Depends on which dialect of Irish you want to use. Most common is 'say-er' and 'see-er'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,434 ✭✭✭swoofer

saor as in "tooth -sayer" = sayerview, sayersat. simples

gb==

• Advertisement

You will get used to the pronunciation as much as you have with words like Xerox.

I have no problems with the service which I have had for a few months now. EPG and Aertel working fine.

Advertisement