Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Championship draw

Options
  • 07-10-2010 6:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

The draw for the 2011 championship takes place in Croke Park tonight - less than three weeks after this year's championship ended.

The draw for all four provinces in football and hurling gets underway at 8pm and will be broadcast live on RTÉ2. Galway and Meath are the only two counties going into the football championship draw still looking to fill their senior football manager positions.

Galway were expected to name Joe Kernan's successor this week, but have held off for another week amid growing speculation that they are looking beyond the four candidates - Gerry Fahy, Tomas O Flatharta, Pete Warren and Matt Duggan - already interviewed.

Meath, meanwhile, aren't expected to have a new manager in place for at least another three weeks after 13 candidates were nominated for the position.

There is only one slight change to the existing schedule which sees the Leinster hurling championship expanded by one county to include Westmeath, who have been guaranteed three years in the Liam McCarthy Cup following their Christy Ring Cup triumph last July.

It means the Leinster hurling championship now comprises nine counties, and the McCarthy Cup consists of 14 counties. The format for the 2011 Leinster hurling championship was announced yesterday with four counties (Laois, Carlow, Antrim and Westmeath) going into an open draw and will contest a preliminary round.

The two winners join four more counties in three quarter-finals (Galway, Dublin, Offaly and Wexford), also made on an open draw. The three winners from there join Kilkenny in the semi-finals, those pairings also made on an open draw. Kilkenny, as Leinster champions, get a bye into the semi-final.

Westmeath's involvement in the Liam McCarthy Cup will also necessitate an additional game in the All-Ireland hurling qualifiers, with the preliminary round now comprising the five Leinster teams that fail to make their provincial semi-final, and the loser of the Munster preliminary game/quarter-final.

In football, the 2011 Leinster championship has the four 2010 semi-finalists seeded (Meath, Dublin, Westmeath and Louth) who thus get byes into the quarter-finals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Think we (Waterford) are due a 1st round Munster tie. Last few years we got the benefit of getting striaght into a Munster semi. I can see us being paired against AI champions Tipp in first round! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

And beating them, now that L.Sheedy has walked:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

You'd wonder are many of the footballing counties too bothered with tonight's draw considering all 4 semi finalists this year came through the qualifier route?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

That was pure chance, so yes counties are interested in their provincial championships. Louth will certainly want to win Leinster for example. It is strange that while qualifier draws can be made less than a week before the matches, the draws for the championship take place over 7 months before the first matches. It would be more than time enough to have this in April. Anyway, tonight it is, so let's see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,507 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Hurling championship draw 2011

Leinster

Prelim
    Antrim v Laois
    Carlow v Westmeath

QF
    Antrim/Laois v Wexford
    Carlow/Westmeath v Galway
    Dublin v Offaly

SF
    Dublin/Offaly v Galway/Carlow/Westmeah
    Kilkennt v Antrim/Laois/Wexford

• Advertisement

Munster Hurling 2010

QF
    Cork v Tipp

SF
    Limerick v Waterford
    Clare v Cork/Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I don't believe it! Cork vs Tipp for the SEVENTH year running, with Waterford on the other side of the draw to the big two for the 4th year in a row.

Not complaining one bit, but with Donal O'Grady at Limerick it'll be a tough one.

Munster Football 2011

QF
    Kerry v Tipp
    Cork v clare

SF
    Limerick v Kerry/Tipp
    Waterford v Cork/Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

KevIRL wrote: »
    Munster Hurling 2010

QF
    Cork v Tipp

SF
    Limerick v Waterford
    Clare v Cork/Tipp

FFS, not again

It will be a shame to have the All Ireland Champions in the qualifiers at such an early stage;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Daysha wrote: »
    I don't believe it! Cork vs Tipp for the SEVENTH year running, with Waterford on the other side of the draw to the big two for the 4th year in a row.

Not complaining one bit, but with Donal O'Grady at Limerick it'll be a tough one.

Ye couldnt have gotten a better draw:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Happy enough with that draw, Limerick will be a tough one under DO'G. Just 70mins away from our 3rd consecutive Munster final appearance. Cork & Tipp must be sick of the sight of each other at this stage! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭Trampas

was it just luck KK got to semi?

not watching

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

One other change I heard today was that if Roscommon lose to New York then they WILL be allowed in the back door whereas in previous years that was not the case.

Leinster football will be interesting.
    Louth v Meath anyone??? ;)

Connacht Football 2011

QF
    Leitrim v Sligo
    Mayo v London
    Roscommon v New York

SF
    Galway v London/Mayo
    Leitrim/Sligo v Roscommon/New York

Ulster Football 2011

Preliminary
    Donegal v Antrim

QF
    Donegal/Antrim v Cavan
    Derry v Fermanagh
    Armagh v Down
    Tyrone v Monaghan

SF
    Donegal/Antrim/Cavan v Derry/Fermanagh
    Armagh/Down v Tyrone/Monaghan

Leinster Football 2011

Round 1
    Kildare v Wicklow
    Laois v Longford
    Wexford v Offaly

QF
    Kildare/Wicklow v Meath
    Laois/Longford v Dublin
    Wexford/Offaly v Westmeath
    Carlow v Louth

SF
    Kildare/Wicklow/Meath v Laois/Longford/Dublin
    Wexford/Offaly/Westmeath v Carlow v Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

As a Louth man I'm delighted with the draw , Chuffed with it actually couldnt of asked for better !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Great draw for the Garden County !!!!!!!

WICKLOW FOR SAM.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,423 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

very happy with the football in Munster - Kerry/tip/ Lim on the other side!!
    Tip and Cork in the hurling - best time to play them - last year proved that!
    KK got a real handy draw ( in the hurling :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

Meath VS Louth Leinster Final :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Meath VS Louth Leinster Final :D

Wicklow will defeat the forces of evil in the quarters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Yikes that's a tough one. Kildare will be favourites should they beat Wicklow (which, given their performance in the first round last year isn't guaranteed) but hopefully the debacle that was this year quarter final will give us extra motivation.
    Louth will be gutted if they fail to make another Leinster final, but I've a feeling Wexford might surprise a few people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

KevIRL wrote: »
    Connacht Football 2011

QF
    Leitrim v Sligo
    Mayo v London
    Roscommon v New York

SF
    Galway v London/Mayo
    Leitrim/Sligo v Roscommon/New York

could not have asked for a nicer draw:)

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

If it's a Sligo -v- Ross semi, am i right in thinking it'd be in the Hyde? Sligo had home advantage this year (though they chose to play in Castlebar). Ok Sligo will be out for revenge, but Roscommon at home in the championship to Sligo will always back themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

I reckon Limerick could do a double in Munster next year. There footballers have the beating of Cork and Kerry if they can learn from their mistakes of not closing out games they are in with a real chance. Limerick hurlers have one of the best managers in the game with O Grady and with the selectors of Carey and Ryan, they wil be a hard force for any of the other teams in Munster. You can expect Limerick hurling to be back on track for 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

If it's a Sligo -v- Ross semi, am i right in thinking it'd be in the Hyde? Sligo had home advantage this year (though they chose to play in Castlebar). Ok Sligo will be out for revenge, but Roscommon at home in the championship to Sligo will always back themselves.
    that what they thought in 2007!!!
    picked a nice amount of money after that game in the bookies:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

I've a feeling Wexford might surprise a few people.

I am quite happy with the football draw from a Wexford point of view, but I think that most teams in that side of the draw will fancy their chances of making the Leinster final.

As for the hurling draw, Kilkenny in the semis if Wexford win their quarter final, I would have perferred the winners of Offaly/Dublin (I guess they would have perferred Wexford to Galway)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

teednab-el wrote: »
    I reckon Limerick could do a double in Munster next year. There footballers have the beating of Cork and Kerry if they can learn from their mistakes of not closing out games they are in with a real chance. Limerick hurlers have one of the best managers in the game with O Grady and with the selectors of Carey and Ryan, they wil be a hard force for any of the other teams in Munster. You can expect Limerick hurling to be back on track for 2011.
    Limerick will have Kerry (provided Tipp dont cause a massive upset) at home in the Gaelic Grounds in the semi. That is something in our favour at least. It would be great to see us actually learn from our mistakes in previous games and close a game out when we have the chances. We will have to beat Kerry or Cork sooner or later (i hope!). As for the hurling, i should imagine last years dropped/striking players should be chomping at the bit to get back into inter-county action. No greater motivator at the helm also with O'Grady in charge. I am expecting a major improvemet in the quality of our hurling.
    Mind you, facing up to the Munster Champions is a big task. Promotion from Division 2 is a must and the most important thing, anything else is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i love the confidence of sligo fans, if i was a sligo fan i would worry about beating leitrim first and foremost, leitrim in carrick is no walk-over, ye were well beat there last time out in 2005

as a rossie, i am only looking ahead to the ny game, anything after that is a bonus :p will be good to have the likes of kilbride back up front next year to ease the scoring on donie, there is talk of frankie dolan being brought back into the panel too as he has had a wonderful club campaign for bridgets this year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

Limerick have to have a great chance against Kerry (provided they get through) in the semi at home. Kerry are definitely going through a re-building stage looking for a half dozen players. There will not be a better time.

Advertisement