Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Saab 9-5 getting poor reviews vs 520d

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

What an enormous(ly) ugly car. Yuck. Like a stretched Kia Somethingorother. Ok, it's not Saab's fault as they didn't design much of it. It looks like an 80's 'Cars you'll see in 2010' that people laughed at for looking incredibly stupid. I'm with Matt on this for once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Confab wrote: »
    What an enormous(ly) ugly car. Yuck. Like a stretched Kia Somethingorother. Ok, it's not Saab's fault as they didn't design much of it. It looks like an 80's 'Cars you'll see in 2010' that people laughed at for looking incredibly stupid. I'm with Matt on this for once.

In all fairness you can't use Matt as a benchmark with regards to design and style. He drives a Phaeton, one of the most advanced and fantastic cars of its time but styled like a breeze block with a big grille , the motoring equivalent of a Yo Yo rapper wearing a medallion. :p

Sorry Matt , you know I love you :D ....Mr tech genius info guy

.....and anyway I cant see any resemblance to a Korean car in there at all ( not that I care , remember my name is just because I drive an old Saab , I dont like , drive or sell new ones ;):) ) . I think thats just knocking it for the sake of knocking it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Confab wrote: »
    What an enormous(ly) ugly car. Yuck. Like a stretched Kia Somethingorother. Ok, it's not Saab's fault as they didn't design much of it. It looks like an 80's 'Cars you'll see in 2010' that people laughed at for looking incredibly stupid.

With the exception of the current 9-3, Saabs have always been different and quirky ..a love it or hate it kind of brand. Those that loved it stayed very loyal to it, as nobody else had anything similar to offer.
    The current 9-3 was made to be mainstream, which in my opinion helped to kill off Saab almost forever. Saab don't have the size, market share or finances to play the dog-eat-dog mainstream market and they only had a mediocre product to do so. Without being quirky and just mediocre it just disappeared in the mass of sameness.
    I'm glad to see that the 9-5 is returning to quirky Saab-ness, I hope it works out for them and gives them the breathing space to develop "real" Saabs again in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

pburns wrote: »
    I read the Autocar report and was gobsmacked. Never saw such an unexpectedly negative review.

WhatCar have just boot the boot in as well. Looks like this car will always be a left field choice but we may grow to like it for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

unkel wrote: »
    In fairness, would you like to see a car review based on the car itself, or on a tear jerking story about the blood sweat and tears put into it? :p

They could've at least given it an easier time and not have gone with their whole 'not as good as a Mondeo' bullsh1t. Autocar have become a second rate publication in my eyes and are totally biased towards three marques - Jaguar, Ford and BMW. If a new car doesn't come under one of these brands then it's as if it has a star deducted from it automatically in a roadtest or first drive.

Whatcar? on the other hand I wouldn't give the honour of substituting for bog roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,835 ✭✭✭✭unkel

VolvoMan wrote: »
    They could've at least given it an easier time and not have gone with their whole 'not as good as a Mondeo' bullsh1t.

Is that the same magazine that rated a Mondeo higher than a 3-series? Bullsh1t is right so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭dubsaab

I used to always drive Saabs, but for the last ten years I have driven Audi's.
    I had the new 9-5 for a overnight, thanks to Faichney Ringwood, and I have to say I was gobsmacked by it. The ride and handling knocked spots off my A6, the inside has enough saab to make it stand out, and the space in back and in the boot is great. My O/H fell in love with it the moment she saw it.
    I will be ordered one for Jan'11 and can't wait to get into the drivers seat again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭romperstomper

Trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

According to Fachney Ringwood the 2.0T (the petrol that everyone says is the 9-5 to get) is coming to ireland but they don't have pricing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Saab Ed wrote: »
    In all fairness you can't use Matt as a benchmark with regards to design and style. He drives a Phaeton, one of the most advanced and fantastic cars of its time but styled like a breeze block with a big grille , the motoring equivalent of a Yo Yo rapper wearing a medallion. :p
    Phaetons look cool in a reserved manner (rapper!?), just ask the savvy Chinese that buy them in droves. :D
    Volkswagen-Phaeton-560x373.jpg
    2011 Phaeton as shown at Beijing Auto Show.
    But I havent had a Phaeton in about 10mths, sold it and drive a BMW 850CSi and Alfa 156 Sportswagon now. Thinking about getting an Audi S8 too.

And the 9-5 is still a baaad looking car. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

I went down to my Saab dealer this lunchtime to take a spin in the Demo model. For comparison purposes I thought I'd head down in an old model (08) 9-5.

First Impressions:
    I couldn't quite get a handle on whether I liked the looks of the car from the photo's I'd seen. Some angles it looked ungainly, from other angles it looked great. In the flesh I really like the look, and the chunky C pillar gives it (IMHO) an American Muscle Car look for the rear flank.

The one thing that you do notice standing next to the car that might not come across in the pictures is the sheer size of the thing! I wasn't expecting it to be much larger than the Insignia, but it's huge. At 5m long it's roughly the same length as an S-Class (according to my Saab dealer). This translates in to better than average leg room in the rear seats, and a very long (but not very deep) boot. Rear Leg room isn't as big as the Skoda Superb, but is larger than a 5 Series, E Class, A6 or S80.

The binnacle layout is pretty funky. As part of the on board computer there is the option to have the speedo displayed like an aircraft altimeter. Bit strange to begin with, and not sure many people will perservere with this view, but it adds a nice touch.

The full width LED lights across the back of the car will probably make it look very imposing in the dark. Doesn't have a great impact in daylight.

The demo was an auto, which has a smooth change, responds well to accelerator input and accelerates well from all speeds. It's not too noisy for a diesel either.

Now the good bits are out of the way...............

The centre console is a huge mass of nasty black plastic. The version I drove was the Vector spec, so not the base model and even this just has cheap looking matt black plastic surrounding the radio. Radio controls and the heated seat controls look fairly good, but just get lost being black on black.

Unfortunatley, the worst bit is the ride. I'm not usually too picky on how a car handles, but as 50% of the time I was in the car was steady cruising on a motorway, it's very very poor. For something which should be a comfortable mile muncher, the Motorway is where it should excel, but it fails miserably. Not sure if it's too firm, but it was bouncing up and down the whole way along a 3 mile ish stretch of motorway, and a return parralel journey on a fairly new tarmac road. Standard wheels on the Vector are 17" with what looked like a 55 or 60 profile, so it's not down to the tyres.

Seats are up to the usual high Saab standard, but can't mask the failings of the suspension.

Despite the looks and size of the car, I'm going to struggle to be too positive about it if asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I hate to say it, but unfortunately this car has a stink of Rover 75 about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mr.BBunny

As I said in my previous post, I enjoyed the drive of the car. It would appear that I am not the only one - I saw this review up on Drive where it is your man says he really enjoyed the drive and gives it the thumbs up over the E Class and A6.

http://www.drivemagazine.ie/pages/road_test_details.php?code=946

I did a similar drive to ROR but then took it on a fairly bumpy backroad, that I know pretty well, and found it handled the bumps very well. I was on motorway for a while and thought it cruised nicely. Just my thoughts, but I genuinely enjoyed the drive of the car, and definitely liking the look of it. As I said, took me a little while to get used to the outside, but now really, really like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭racer1

Hey i have a 08 Saab 95 and love it. Very comfy car. So ROR how would you compare old 95 and the new one? I never go by english car reviews as there badge snobby and also a lot depends on who is placing adverts with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,673 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

racer1 wrote: »
    Hey i have a 08 Saab 95 and love it. Very comfy car. So ROR how would you compare old 95 and the new one? I never go by english car reviews as there badge snobby and also a lot depends on who is placing adverts with them.

I was never a huge fan of the old 9-5, and it didn't help that the one I took down has led a particulaly hard life. There's more gearstick movement in 3rd than there is in my Accord in neutral :eek: (ok, maybe not quite, but you get the picture).

Fairly similar performance (1.9Tid 150), but the interior of the new model is a much better layout, better seating postion and more spacious.

The ride of the old model was much smoother on the way down, even though it's on low profile 17" wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

I have a MY02-05 Vector Sport (with the factory Saab performance upgrade) which I have had for a few years and absolutely love it (each to their own). I did not like the interior of the last model version (the dame edna one) although I was not put out by the exterior.

With the new model, I am really looking forward to seeing it in the flesh and going for a spin in one. It has been a long time coming and will hopefully lift the brand again. It is all well and good and saying that it might not be as good in some departments as this car or that car, but like anything in life, some people know what they like and what they want.

Advertisement