Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Almost forgotten Great Irish dishes

Options
  • 15-08-2010 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello All,
    I've just finihed an absolutely delicious typical Dublin coddle from a recipe my granny gave me over 20 years ago,it tasted great. There really are some great traditional irish dishes out there,when I say traditional I MEAN traditional and not something new with a "traditonal irish" tag assigned to it which is the case on countless restaurant menus.
    Another one that comes to mind is tripe boiled in milk with onions,like coddle it doesn't look like much,but its delicious and what about crubeens,or boiled pigs feet as they are to us Dubs

any more?,well,lets wait and see

Thanks for listening.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Bacon and cabbage!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Proper Irish Stew.

And by proper, I mean:

Lamb or, preferably mutton.
    It should be almost clear and unthickened.
    It should have onions, carrots and potatoes.
    Flavoured with thyme, salt and pepper.

I deviate from this by:
    I often add celery, leek, turnip, pearl barley.
    A little lovage is really good in it to.
    I recently did one with a light golden ale - twas fantastic, if not proper!:eek:
    I sometimes very slightly brown the meat giving a golden broth rather than clear.
    I like to serve it with flat leaf parsley.

Let the debate begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Bacon stew - similar to above but with bacon (and no thyme). And potatoes are put into the stew to cook as it naturally thickens the gravy (my gran used to make it!)

Potato cakes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Soda bread e.g. the round loaf with the cross cut in the top:

280g white flour
    280g wholemeal flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    A handful of porridge oats
    One egg
    About 400mls buttermilk

Mix all of the dry ingredients (flours, oats, salt and bicarb) and make a well in the centre. Whisk the egg into about 300mls of buttermilk and start to add slowly to the mixture, stirring to incorporate. Continue to add buttermilk until you have a dough that you can pick up and shape without it being too dry or too sticky. Don't overwork it too much. You'll almost certainly need more moisture than 300mls plus the egg, hence 400mls in the recipe, but you may find you need more again, or a little less. It will depend on your flour.

Shape into a round and cut a deep cross in the top.

Pre-heat your oven as high as it will go, and slide the bread onto a baking tray, then cook for 15 minutes on the highest temperature, followed by about 30-40 minutes on 180 degrees centigrade. I actually do mine on a pizza stone in a non-fan oven, comes out very well.

You'll get variations in the result depending on your flour and how much moisture you need to use; the egg adds a richness but it can be left out and simply use buttermilk. The buttermilk reacts with the soda to create a raising agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

We call that soda bread, but I remember a white loaf - same shape with a cross cut in the top, made with white flour and old fashioned buttermilk. The crumb was anything from white to butter yellow. That was called soda bread. The wholemeal version was brown bread or brown soda bread.

This is a Gaelteacht memory, so a bit hazy....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Or the strange things we used to call some things.

For instance we always called brown soda bread 'brown cake'.

And we always, and still do, call what is essentially an apple pie 'apple tart'.
    (a tart should have no top crust but these 'apple tarts' do have a top crust).

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Black Dog

Please, don't make me feel so old. Soda bread, brown bread are still made in my house, regularly by myself and other times by my wife. Likewise, scones are still home made.

Some oldies now rarely now seen: stuffed heart - cow's heart with a breadcrumb/onion/sage stuffing.

Fried liver is now rarely seen. Likewise with kidneys, something I never liked.

Kid - always a spare kid when the goat had young and it was a delicious meal. I read in a weekend paper that it is now becoming a fashionable health food again - less calories than chicken, less fat, less polyunsaturates etc etc.

Goose is less common but was regular when I was a child.

Boiled chicken - now, there's one for you. An old hen, gone beyond her laying days, was consigned to the pot. Because of her old age she would be too tough to roast so a slow boil or used in a stew was the only way.

Crubeens (pig's feet): still seen occasionally but not as often as before.

Half head: a half pig's head, slowly boiled - add boiled potatoes and cabbage.

Rabbit: a regular when I was a child - catch your own, cheap!

Tripe, as mentioned above, and cod cooked in a similar way - simmered in milk with onions.

My wife mentions a Waterford regular: skirt and loin bones: basically an offal stew. She can still identify the smell when passing some houses here in Waterford. It certainly is not appetising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Kimia wrote: »
    Bacon and cabbage!

Corned beef & cabbage - My Dad's from Cork originally and it's his specialty any time he has to cook dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Coddle, Bacon and cabbage, corned beef, soda bread, and stew ffs, all irish but they are hardly almost forgotten, i'd say they are some of the most popular

• Registered Users Posts: 22,761 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Black Dog - Sounds like you ate the same as me as a kid. :)

My school pals used to think that my family were crazy eating boiling fowl, coddle, stuffed ox heart, oxtail stew, fried kidneys, ox tongue, ox cheeks, trotters and liver, bacon & stuffing casserole. Thanks to coming from generations of cattlemen & butchers I have a great appreciation & love of the flesh from all parts of the beast. :D

Another favourite dish of mine is a variation on Irish Stew, but made with mutton knuckles. I find that the bones & cartilage give a 'bigger' flavour than in traditional Irish Stew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭foodaholic

As a child we used to have these dishes regulary:

Rabbit stew
    Roast Stuffed cows heart
    Coddle
    Stew
    liver and onions
    Bacon ribs and cabbage

we never had tripe though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

The Shnack Box - 3 pieces of Southern Fried Chicken & Chips

The Pink Shack

The Yella Shack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Euskadi wrote: »
    Hello All,
    I've just finihed an absolutely delicious typical Dublin coddle from a recipe my granny gave me over 20 years ago,it tasted great.

Sounds interesting. Oddly enough I'm from Dublin but have never had coddle. Any chance of sharing the recipe?
    jpb1974 wrote: »
    The Pink Shnack

The Yella Shnack

You forgot De Purpil Shnack. Sounds like that episode of Anonymous. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Black Dog wrote: »
    Boiled chicken - now, there's one for you. An old hen, gone beyond her laying days, was consigned to the pot. Because of her old age she would be too tough to roast so a slow boil or used in a stew was the only way.
    That's why I hate traditional Irish cooking. Same ingredients here as in France, but here we boil the chicken until you've got a soup (at best - far more likely to be flavourless wet chicken meat); there you get coq au vin. And it's endemic to traditional Irish cooking - even the phrase reflects it, it's never "traditional Irish cuisine" - at best it's "cooking". And the reason you don't hear much about Irish cuisine is probably that we don't have one.

What do we have?

Bacon and cabbage (must be boiled to within spitting distance of soup, and if the house doesn't stink to high heaven as you serve, you didn't cook it right).

Irish stew (fantastic if you cook it differently to the standard recipe and add things that aren't in the standard recipe, and well, basically cook a different dish entirely).

Boxty (actually not bad if you ignore the traditional version and ... again, cook a different dish entirely).

Bacon. Well, we do cut the rashers from the right part of the pig at least (crazy americans), but it's hardly cuisine.

And about pork - if it's anything other than rashers, it must be cooked until it's as white as paper, and tougher than shoe leather, "just in case". No-one's quite sure of what we're worried about, exactly, but we're overcooking pork until it's a building material to avoid it.

Colcannon. Well, actually, that's not Irish so much as Northern Irish and Scottish, and ironically, it's pretty much okay no matter where you eat it. Same for leek and potato soup and quite a few other dishes.

And that's basically it. Everything else is borrowed or stolen from abroad and badly cooked. The stuff I was raised on was appalling. I won't let it be cooked in my kitchen anymore in fact. Spag bol - or more accurately, the Irish version of spag bol (which is the bol surrounded by mashed potatoes in a ring); chicken breasts + sauce from a jar + mashed potatoes; lasagne (very italian because it had a whole pinch of oregano in it for about six pounds of mince); apple pie (which put me off apples until I learnt to make the dish properly in my 20s); the "hang sanwich and cupatae" (and the tea! Always over-sweetened tea made from the sweepings from the floor of the factory after a run of packing proper tea for people who actually know what infusion is); and chips. I think we eat more chips than the scottish, but they're only behind because they eat fish with their chips and Ireland, an island nation, basically eats no fish at all. Or shellfish. Or indeed any meat other than steak or chicken. So we eat more chips to make up the volume.

We *do* have nice soda bread though, that's very true. And *modern* Irish chefs are making nice things. But that's not cuisine, that's a few modern Irish chefs doing nice things they've learnt abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Sparks wrote: »
    That's why I hate traditional Irish cooking. Same ingredients here as in France, but here we boil the chicken until you've got a soup (at best - far more likely to be flavourless wet chicken meat); there you get coq au vin. And it's endemic to traditional Irish cooking - even the phrase reflects it, it's never "traditional Irish cuisine" - at best it's "cooking". And the reason you don't hear much about Irish cuisine is probably that we don't have one.

What do we have?

Bacon and cabbage (must be boiled to within spitting distance of soup, and if the house doesn't stink to high heaven as you serve, you didn't cook it right).

Irish stew (fantastic if you cook it differently to the standard recipe and add things that aren't in the standard recipe, and well, basically cook a different dish entirely).

Boxty (actually not bad if you ignore the traditional version and ... again, cook a different dish entirely).

Bacon. Well, we do cut the rashers from the right part of the pig at least (crazy americans), but it's hardly cuisine.

And about pork - if it's anything other than rashers, it must be cooked until it's as white as paper, and tougher than shoe leather, "just in case". No-one's quite sure of what we're worried about, exactly, but we're overcooking pork until it's a building material to avoid it.

Colcannon. Well, actually, that's not Irish so much as Northern Irish and Scottish, and ironically, it's pretty much okay no matter where you eat it. Same for leek and potato soup and quite a few other dishes.
    We *do* have nice soda bread though, that's very true. And *modern* Irish chefs are making nice things. But that's not cuisine, that's a few modern Irish chefs doing nice things they've learnt abroad.
    Reminds me of a Denis Leary sketch where he said that he saw a cookbook called Irish Cuisine and he laughed his balls off ("We take everything and boil the s**t out of it for four and a half hours until you can drink it through a straw. It's not cuisine, it's penance").

My Nanny's friend mentioned that her husband was suffering from pains in his stomach. Nanny declared that she was feeding him undercooked cabbage and recommended that she boil the cabbage for at least half an hour. I shudder to think what she'd say of my habit of eating steamed cabbage. Mind you, her brown bread was a wonder to behold.

I wonder sometimes is our lack of cuisine a hangover for not having any fecking food for years. It's hard to come up with interesting things to do with chicken or beef when all you can afford to eat is potatoes.

kylith wrote: »
    Reminds me of a Denis Leary sketch where he said that he saw a cookbook called Irish Cuisine and he laughed his balls off ("We take everything and boil the s**t out of it for four and a half hours until you can drink it through a straw. It's not cuisine, it's penance").
    +1
    I wonder sometimes is our lack of cuisine a hangover for not having any fecking food for years. It's hard to come up with interesting things to do with chicken or beef when all you can afford to eat is potatoes.
    Pfft. What about rabbit? All over the place here for the last few hundred years, and up until the end of the first world war, it was eaten by everyone else in the US and Europe in the same quantities that we eat chicken breast meat today.

And there's a lot of fish and shellfish out there that we just don't bother to eat, except in one or two places - there's just no tradition of eating it in Ireland for some reason. Which is damn odd for an island nation.

And given that the bulk of what we eat today at home is made up from the four "mainstream meats" (chicken, beef, lamb, pork), you'd think we'd learn to at least cook them right. Why the hell do most Irish home cooks think that "well done" means "you cooked that correctly"? I was at college before I learnt that pork is actually still softer than styrofoam when cooked, that beef was tastier when pink ("what's medium rare?" is not a question you should leave your kids to ask in a restaurant ffs), that chicken isn't unsafe if it's still juicy; not to mention that there are other things you can eat like duck and goose and tuna and sea bass and sole and halibut and prawns (okay, I don't like them, but at least I know they exist now) and lobster and ....

Well, you get the idea. Truth is, as a nation, we suck at cooking food once you get outside the few who do it professionally or as a hobby. How the hell that's possible when we had an entire generation where home economics was a de facto mandatory subject for half the population, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Same ingredients here as in France, but here we boil the chicken until you've got a soup (at best - far more likely to be flavourless wet chicken meat); there you get coq au vin.

Coq-au-Porter is disgusting..... trust me.:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

That's why I hate traditional Irish cooking...
    You were obviously badly traumatised early in life by your Mammy's / Grannies' lousy cooking as detailed above, which is sad but thankfully not representative of everyone elses experience.

While my early epicurian experiences were based around the ingredients you mention above, their preparation and the resultant meals were at the other end of the spectrum to what you describe. Maybe I was just lucky in that my mother, my aunts (in general :D) and both my grandmothers were gifted cooks, bakers and confectioners. I mention the ladies in the family in the context of food preparation because that was the way things were done back then; many of us men proved adept with roasting dish or cake-tin later, butb as a kid the women shone.

So you had lousy cooks in your family and poor food experiences as a kid - get over it, it hasn't proven fatal.
    ... And it's endemic to traditional Irish cooking - even the phrase reflects it, it's never "traditional Irish cuisine" - at best it's "cooking". And the reason you don't hear much about Irish cuisine is probably that we don't have one...
    I'm not sure why anyone would want to use a French word to decribe our traditional cooking. Unless someone is very much up themselves, there is rarely any need to use French words when there are Irish or heavens above, even English words to describe the same thing. (cuisine = cooking, food preparation, kitchen, culinary practice, culinary art, etc. - it's all the same thing really, unless you want to move into the realms of haute or grande cuisine, which is not the preserve of mere mortals such as me).

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭WhodahWoodah

Haha whenever I cook a roast for my parents I have to cut the joint in half and put their half in the oven at least an hour before the rest goes in! They're so worried about food poisoning. And if my mum does a roast there's no way in a blindfold test you could distinguish between beef, lamb and pork! That's an accomplishment! So what I do usually is minimise the meat on my plate and instead fill up on her killer roast potatoes and yummy Yorkshire puds! I know those are more English than Irish, but then so is my mum!

mathepac wrote: »
    You were obviously badly traumatised early in life by your Mammy's / Grannies' lousy cooking as detailed above
    True, but it's not as easy as "your mammy can't cook, so your point is worthless". Alas.
    I'm not sure why anyone would want to use a French word to decribe our traditional cooking.
    Because everyone uses French words to describe all cooking, because the French basicly own cooking, having invented about a third to a half of modern cooking.
    there is rarely any need to use French words when there are Irish or heavens above, even English words to describe the same thing
    Wait. Seriously. Just a little bit. I just need you to wait long enough for me to get the camcorder before you say that to a professional chef of any calibre (and I don't just mean Michelin star level, I mean everything above Little Chef).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Bubble and squeak and beef and guiness pie.

Sounds interesting. Oddly enough I'm from Dublin but have never had coddle. Any chance of sharing the recipe?

1lb of good sausages
    1lb of bacon pieces.
    1 large white onion
    2 bay leaves
    3 whole peppercorns
    Bundle of rosemary and thyme
    3 large carrots
    8 large potatoes
    1 heap tbls of cornflour to thicken
    Water
    optional a Hand full of soupmix (the barely lentils mix.)

You need a large heavy pot cos it's all going to go in.

Start by sautéing finely chopped the onion in a bit of butter then add in the bacon, before it browns half fill the pot with water which you've let come to the boil. Then add in the herbs and carrots (peeled and sliced into rounds) and two of the potatoes which have been cubed. As it comes to simmer then add in the sausages and soup mix if your adding it. When it starts to bubble add in the rest of the potatoes which have been peeled and quartered and then top the pot off with water. Leave to simmer until the sausages are cooked and the large potatoes can be peicered with a knife. Take out the bay leaves and the bundle of herbs, add the cornflower to thicken.

This can be left to go cold and reheated by adding more water or left to simmer and more water added if you get delayed. Serve in a deep bowl dish with some brown bread.

WOW I had never heard of coddle before I saw this thread but fecking hell it sounds yum! Sausage and rasher stew sort of from what I can gather unless the bacon bits are supposed to be from bacon and cabbage type bacon, also sounds yum! Might have to give it a go. Can someone tell me which type of bacon to use so I can get to the good coddle on the first go?

Ask any butcher for bacon pieces for coddle and they will sort you out.

Thanks Thaedydal but still is it rasher bits or boiling bacon bits or some sort of other bacon entirely??

Cubed chunks the same size roughly as stewing beef.
    Make sure it's bacon and not ham.

ham%20pieces%20(me).jpg

Cool. I'm going to try it the day after tomorrow. Will post whether or not it lived up to my expectations! Actually, I'm just thinking maybe I should invite my parents over. It should be right up their street!

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭brownacid

You can use normal rashers in it either, just get thick ones for more of a bite, the auld dear puts in barley aswell, leaves out the bayleafs and the corn flour, occasionally a bit of gammon gets thrown in aswell.

It tastes better the next day reheated as does stew.

I've also heard of some people putting a bit of chicken in the coddle too, I haven't tried it but I'd be a bit sketchy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Thanks for that, Thaedydal.

Just one thing... what sort of colour is it? It sounds like it would be quite pale, no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... Because everyone uses French words to describe all cooking, because the French basicly own cooking, having invented about a third to a half of modern cooking. ...
    I know a number of Italian, Chinese, and Indian people, cooks and consumers alike, who have no need to resort to words outside their own languages to descibe the dishes they prepare, the ingredients or the methods they use. Their food does not seem to have suffered any adverse consequences from this lack of 'Frenchification'. I'm also fairly sure the French did not create the likes of the tandoor or the wok or the dishes that come from them, for example

Escoffier & Co might have done much for codifying and standardising training and preparation methods and organising commercial kitchens, but I'm not sure his influence ever stretched into kitchens that prepared any of the 'Almost forgotten Great Irish dishes' of the thread title and I'm certain it would not have been appropriate.
    ... Wait. Seriously. Just a little bit. I just need you to wait long enough for me to get the camcorder before you say that to a professional chef of any calibre (and I don't just mean Michelin star level, I mean everything above Little Chef).
    I wasn't aware that the thread was solely for the odd professional chef (that's a French word too BTW) in our midst; had I known I wouldn't have contributed. I thought the thread topic was 'Almost forgotten Great Irish dishes' as prepared in ordinary kitchens in ordinary homes up and down the country, but there you go I live and learn.

Given your unfortunate and traumatising food experiences as a child, I take it you won't be contributing any recipes for 'Almost forgotten Great Irish dishes'; I'll try to help by digging out a couple over the next few days and posting them here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,140 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd hazard a guess that even though you are from dublin, your parents or family might not be. I ate coddle all the time, but few of my friends did (whose parents were all from outside dublin originally)
    there is rarely any need to use French words when there are Irish or heavens above, even English words to describe the same thing. (cuisine = cooking, food preparation, kitchen, culinary practice, culinary art, etc. - it's all the same thing really, unless you want to move into the realms of haute or grande cuisine, which is not the preserve of mere mortals such as me).
    I'm sorry but this is nonsense.
    food and cooking aside, english developed from other languages, including french and a number of english words are either based on french words or directly taken over.

Just because its a cooking term its suddenly a bad thing because the french think they are better at it. FFS
    I suppose we should only say cul-de-sac if we are driving a peugeot or renault. :rolleyes:
    I know a number of Italian, Chinese, and Indian people, cooks and consumers alike, who have no need to resort to words outside their own languages to descibe the dishes they prepare, the ingredients or the methods they use. Their food does not seem to have suffered any adverse consequences from this lack of 'Frenchification'. I'm also fairly sure the French did not create the likes of the tandoor or the wok or the dishes that come from them, for example[/B]
    Maybe because cuisine is an english word, not an italian, chinese word etc etc

If you use a wok at home, is it suddenly a roundy frying pan?

On the other hand, i agree with you on Sparks' childhood trauma with food. Most of what he describes is alien to me and my house (i am a bit younger so that might have an effect)

Are you originally from dublin Sparks? I find the way you describe food typical of central ireland, when I was in collage, all my friends were bacon and cabbage men and they all over cooked everything.
    Same for the fish, you said we (the irish) don't eat much fish. I'd disagree, seafood was always a big part of irish "cuisine" ( ;) ) for may years, but obviously it was only in certain areas that had access to ports and the sea, Galway and Dublin would be perfect examples of this.
    Galway Bay Oysters
    Dublin Bay Prawns.
    It makes perfect sense, that people living in central ireland wouldn't eat a lot of fish out of availability. So when these people or thier families moved to dublin, it also makes sense that they stick with the bacon and cabbage diet.

Advertisement