Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords League - 04/08/10 - Corduff Circuit

Options
  • 04-08-2010 12:11pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Back to Ballyboughal tonight for a couple of laps of the Corduff Circuit. I suspect I will be dropped somewhere on the Nag's Head following my TT effort last night

It will be interesting to see how much they re-jig the groups/handicaps given the recent successes of the limit group.

Who else is looking to do this tonight, and if so, will any of you be sporting new boards jerseys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Staro

Might give it go for the craic. Does anybody know where the finish will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mc2000

...the feared...the dreaded...

Col de Corduff :eek:

Hopefully no horseshoes on the course tonight [the double-puncture-front-and-back-and-slash-both-your-tyres-sidewalls kind]

Bring it on :pac:

I hope group2 gets a 3-day handicap over all following groups, and that group1 only gets a 5millisecond one over us - that I believe, would be most reasonable.

Will it be a hilltop finish? will oxygen be needed for the final ascent? will the motorbikes bring our spare wheels and bikes as we climb the savage 1 in 1 climb?:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Hanging baskets i.e. 2 1/2 laps.

See you 2nd time up the hill for 10-15 seconds or so.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Marshalling tonight, so looking forward to watching the suffering for once. Still wish i was racing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

think my bike is still in the shop and won' be ready:D.

Nice when the decision is made for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

shaungil wrote: »
    think my bike is still in the shop and won' be ready:D.

Nice when the decision is made for you.

You can borrow one of mine The ridley's set up for me but I've a Look 565 which can be adjusted.

can't do it will think of excuse later.

can't do it will think of excuse later.

You might have caught slowness from me so thats excuse enough ;)

(would have had to shave the legs to ride it as well)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Boardsies 1st and 2nd:D

Not me I might add - I certainly did the boards jersey a major disservice tonight

Winner was, I believe, Dave11 (again - that appendix operation seems to have done you a world of good Dave) with RobFowl second. Well done guys - the 5th Group 1 victory this season:rolleyes:

Nice to meet Mr Skeffington before the race - he wasn't taking part, just out for a spin, and spotted my jersey:)

This week overall numbers seemed down a bit, probably as a result of holidays. Group 1 was still relatively large, and were given a 7 minute start this week:eek:. We had only 3 minutes over Group 3, and I suspected it was going to be hard for us.

We got off to a brisk start. I knew there was a large pothole after around 5km, but by the time we got to it I was right at the back, and didn't have much warning, and ended up going straight through the middle of it. How I avoided puncturing or buckling the front wheel I have no idea. I suspect going through the middle was the better option, as hitting it at the edge may have thrown me sideways. This shook me up a bit and I became detached from the group, and it took me a minute or so to get back on.

We got to main road, and started suffering a from the wind. I was completely lacking in motivation, and after a while eased off the back. I guess the weekend and yesterday's efforts were taking their toll. I kept going and was nearly blown over when going over the M1 flyover. Group 3 caught me on the hill. Further up I caught abc_xyz who was also suffering, and we rode together back to our cars.

I then went to the finish and took some photos of the finish - I'll post a couple of them later, and put the stats in the training log. The one thing that did surprise me was that my power output over 34 minutes or so was 267w, which is only a couple of watts off my best.

Well done to all involved but am sick of hearing Group 1 are winning it's geting tedious.

I broke a wheel on my hack mountain bike pulling child 3 around Skerries in her trailer. Hope to hammerfest next week on BOTR. My fav course. Hammer hammer hammer.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Our winner about to cross the line:

swordscorduff-1.jpg?t=1280956612

RobFowl holding off a late challenge to take 2nd:

corduff-2.jpg?t=1280956722

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Jesus Christ.......whats the story with that photo?? I look about 20 stone in it for god sake!!! :eek:

Delighted to get a second win this year! To tired to write report. Chilling here having the best beer in the world..... 'Birra Moretti'..... it also happens to be on special in Lidl ha ha ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

That hill is a killer!! Congrats to the winner and those that got a placing! Lost contact with group 2 the 2nd time up Nags head but was then able to stay with the faster guys as they breezed past me. Finished in the main bunch and didn't cough up a lung at the end so all round pretty pleased with the workout. Cheers for all marshals and Joe for organising.

Well done to all involved but am sick of hearing Group 1 are winning it's geting tedious.

I broke a wheel on my hack mountain bike pulling child 3 around Skerries in her trailer. Hope to hammerfest next week on BOTR. My fav course. Hammer hammer hammer.

If it's any benefit my Garmin stats were Ave HR 176, Max of 198 average speed 34.5 kph and I lost the sprint (very clearly) while maintaining 53 kph.

The reason we stayed away was easy. We worked together and I for one gave it all I had.

Thought I had the win in the bag when Dave11 lead it out but he lliterally blew me off his wheel so much so had to recover and sprint past JC for 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

I heard you hitting that hole beasty, glad there was no harm done and was sorry to see you fall off the back on the first lap.

I'm still new to racing but I found it frustrating in group 2, apart from on the hill I think everyone was able to push a bit harder and was willing to work but we kept easing back. I know it's best to not to overshoot the mark when it's your turn to come up and over to keep the group turning over efficiently but if someone does, can't the person behind just accelerate a little to get on their wheel and keep the pace up?

Especially when we had a tailwind I felt like the group could have gone faster and if people can't keep up so be it? It is a race after all?

Please correct me if I'm speaking out of turn or just showing my inexperience but with a 7 min lead I knew from the start that we wouldn't catch group 1.

I blew up 2nd time up the hill then buried myself to try catch up on the downhill but didn't have enough gears and then got caught by and joined scratch. Did a do or die attempt far too early, blew up again and then rolled in to the finish.

Good workout, good fun and good to test myself.

Next week I'll have a good dinner before hand (2 slices of toast and can of coke didn't cut it) and leave earlier so I don't have to kill myself to get there in time.

I thought group 2 worked much better this week. You have to remember there's a big climb to get over so it makes no sense to time trial around the circuit to just run out of steam going up the nags head. As you said yourself you got dropped the 2nd time climbing do you think you would've lasted longer if you'd been going flat out from the off? From what I understand it's better to work as a team to push the pace up consistently to catch the group in front. If there's a chance for a breakaway within an achievable distance to the end then that's the time to put the hammer down. I might be wrong so am happy to be corrected on this.

chakattack wrote: »

Please correct me if I'm speaking out of turn or just showing my inexperience but with a 7 min lead I knew from the start that we wouldn't catch group 1.
    First time we did that course this season Group 1 had about 6 minutes start and we caught them before the end of the first lap. Tonight they were, according to Joe, lapping 4 minutes slower than last time on this course (which I didn't take part in). First time we averaged 39kph for the first 5km, tonight it was 44kph - the wind made that much difference.

The major difference now is Group 1 is clearly much stronger - they were still a minute or so ahead at the end - I guess if they had stuck with 6 minutes all the groups may have come together. As it was, only a couple of minutes covered the five groups - you do have to hand it to Group 1 - they have really got their act together and appear to be working remarkably well.

One day we'll get our chance ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

RobFowl wrote: »
    .......and I lost the sprint (very clearly) while maintaining 53 kph.
    I thought it was an uphill finish :). Impressive if so

Well done guys

sy wrote: »
    I thought it was an uphill finish :). Impressive if so
    Yep - it's about a 1% incline for 50m or so!

They used the finish over the M1 flyover, which is pretty flat until you get to the the start of the flyover itself, then the incline is quite modest.

Sunday's Swords Grand Prix will finish on the big hill though:D

RobFowl wrote: »
    If it's any benefit my Garmin stats were Ave HR 176, Max of 198 average speed 34.5 kph and I lost the sprint (very clearly) while maintaining 53 kph.

The reason we stayed away was easy. We worked together and I for one gave it all I had.

Thought I had the win in the bag when Dave11 lead it out but he lliterally blew me off his wheel so much so had to recover and sprint past JC for 2nd.
    Great result RF, you looked very determined last night. As you say the droup stayed together and worked well alot of the other groups were blown to bits first time up the hill.

bloody cold marshalling at the top of the nags head in the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Dave11

Group 1 worked very well as a group last night and thats why we stayed away! Lads and Lassie put in a big effort so try not to come down on us to hard for staying away and getting 1,2 and 3!!

Came to the sprint and to be honest I wasn't sure what I had left as I had led most of the road in from Ballyboughal but put the head down hit 59.5k and got the win!

Back to Group 2 with me for sure next week and looking forward to the challenge!!

Well done Rob and JC on getting 2nd and 3rd!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Congrats to all. Very hard race. Got bumped to group 3 last night and I suffered. Hadn't even enough energy to complete my normal warmup. However I hung on there around the course but got caught by surprise for the end. Rolling on the road, suddenly people started sprinting and I thought I'd been dropped. As I started speeding up to catch back on, everyone started stopped. Lesson learned, really do confirm the end of the circuit :)

The Stats:

Distance: 43.73km
    Time: 1:10:31
    Avg Speed: 37.2km/h
    Calories: 1186
    Avg Power: 288watts
    Normalised Power: 302watts

Fair play Ryaner for hanging onto that group last night, was watching out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

Hi lads,

Does anyone have a copy of the remaining Swords CC fixtures they could send onto me?

Thanks!

Elessar wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Does anyone have a copy of the remaining Swords CC fixtures they could send onto me?

Thanks!

11/08/20101840KMBog of the ring Balrothery sign on Ring Commons Sports Centre
    4 Laps

18/08/20101933KLMThe White House Circuit The Ward Sign on The White House Pub
    3 Laps

25/08/2010203KMHill Climb Nevitt-Murphy's Quarry sign on 5 Roads
    5 Roads Hedgestown

Open Races
    08/08/2010
    Swords Grand Prix Corduff Circuit Ballyboughal
    70KM/106KMA1 A2 A3 A43/5 Laps sign on GAA Club

Club Sportive
    26/09/2010 sign on GAA club Ballyboughal
    Sunday

Only 3 more league races!!!!
    Can feel the panic setting in already!! What can I do??:eek:
    Do I resign myself to having nights in watching a soppy dvd and sharing a bowl of popcorn with my wife or should I make Weds eve the official day for mowing the lawn!?!:(
    Any chance there'll be a few guys planning to keep weds eve going for a bit of training?

chakattack wrote: »

I'm still new to racing but I found it frustrating in group 2, apart from on the hill I think everyone was able to push a bit harder and was willing to work but we kept easing back. I know it's best to not to overshoot the mark when it's your turn to come up and over to keep the group turning over efficiently but if someone does, can't the person behind just accelerate a little to get on their wheel and keep the pace up?

Especially when we had a tailwind I felt like the group could have gone faster and if people can't keep up so be it? It is a race after all?

I'm a racing novice also, but my understanding is that in the CP format it's better to keep the group as big as possible so long as everyone is contributing to the work. If they still have the power and speed (even if a bit slower than others) they should help keep the overall pace up, and on a course like that one we used last night ideally you need to keep it together until the second time up the Nags Head, and certainly until the slower group(s) are caught (unless you can get across and then work with them)

If someone is just hanging off the back, and not contributing, it's fair game to try and drop them in my view.

I suspect this is why Group 1 is doing so well - most of them were still there or thereabouts at the finish, and as one or two posters have already stated, they seem to be working very well together - benefiting from the "sum of the parts".

I actually think Group 2 are also working very well together at present - everyone took their turns while I was with them last night, and again they still seemed to be reasonably well joined up at the end - the handicap was just too much for them (as it was for the other Groups also)

I would add that in my own case last night, there would have been little point in trying to keep me with the Group - I may have been able to do another couple of turns, but would then have been hanging off the back, and completely dropped on the hill.

I think anything I had left mentally was shaken out of me by that pothole (although the power stats do indicate I still had something left physically when I did drop off the back).

Tactics in a DMS or open race would, of course, be completely different - that would more likely be "cat and mouse" rather than the pure speed of a CP.

Only 3 more league races!!!!
    Can feel the panic setting in already!! What can I do??:eek:
    Do I resign myself to having nights in watching a soppy dvd and sharing a bowl of popcorn with my wife or should I make Weds eve the official day for mowing the lawn!?!:(
    Any chance there'll be a few guys planning to keep weds eve going for a bit of training?

You need to check shaungil's winter training plan on the club website - they tend to be Ardgillan on Tuesdays and Intervals on Thursdays - I think he's planning to recommence them on 26 October.

I'd hope to make some of these, I really dont see myself doing much training on my own in the cold and wet of winter so they d be ideal.

• Advertisement

A few of us based in Skerries Balbriggan do stuff on Tues/Thurs evenings. PM me for details

Advertisement