Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Here Ever Live Abroad? Thinking Of London.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

owenc wrote: »
    Dublin is NOT better than london!:eek:

your letting your nasty bigoted side show again owenc , strange i suppose you cant help it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Wow.

Now it's blatantly obvious you're a troll or a complete and hopeless imbecile.

Have I not already stated the short-comings of this attitude towards things people can't reasonably afford?

Okay, let me give you my opinion on what I would do if money fell into my lap from the sky. I'd invest it.

Not throw it away on something I do not class as a legitimate NEED of mine, granted others require their vehicle.

The people I was addressing were those that place it on the very top of the WANT pyramid and then you come back with the single most ridiculous statement I've read here on boards...."maybe people just like cars"...

Wow.

I like houses.

Does that mean I'm going to get myself into debt by throwing my hat in to every GWD bid going? Not to mention the maintenance. Get your head on straight.

It's me who thinks YOU have a lot of education and reason understanding to do.

Run along now.
    Comparing something that can cost as little as €200 to something that can cost €200,000?

Not everyone who owns a car is in a mountain of debt because of it. You're only making yourself look like a complete fool here tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

LONDON is a great place to live in,if you wish to vanish from your passed,but it is very expensive.now MANCHESTER has everything any one could wish for,its a good city for a irishman to live,with its big irish heritage ,and for those who love the country side, its on its doorstep is the most beautiful parts of england,lake district and the yorkshire dales,within a hours drive is blackpool,liverpool,or chester, its served by good airport,[for those who wish to fly back to dublin for the weekend,and to top the lot the natives are friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

OP

What sort of work are you looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

Comparing something that can cost as little as €200 to something that can cost €200,000?

Not everyone who owns a car is in a mountain of debt because of it. You're only making yourself look like a complete fool here tbh.

Marker, stop picking apart my post in a sad attempt to make yourself seem credible. The majority of people reading will have understood my comment.

You're borderline troll, now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

getz wrote: »
    LONDON is a great place to live in,if you wish to vanish from your passed,but it is very expensive.now MANCHESTER has everything any one could wish for,its a good city for a irishman to live,with its big irish heritage ,and for those who love the country side, its on its doorstep is the most beautiful parts of england,lake district and the yorkshire dales,within a hours drive is blackpool,liverpool,or chester, its served by good airport,[for those who wish to fly back to dublin for the weekend,and to top the lot the natives are friendly.

Thank you for the info. Very much appreciated.
    OP

What sort of work are you looking at?

I'm in the industry of audio engineering. I've done an internship at Take-Two (video games company) at the age of 20, albeit a two month stint. Dublin, obviously, has no industry and London seems a very exciting prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I love London. I'd recommend it over any of the other cities.

Of course it depends on jobs and what you can get. London is so large you can get trapped in the suburbs and in that case I'd take manchester any day.

But there game companies all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

I've always looked upon attitude's to having one's own vehicle in this country with a touch of absurdity. Allow me to explain.

During my teenage years, cars were an item to suggest your "pulling power" with the opposite sex rather than being considered vital transport. I've never understood fully, the craze surrounding tinted windows, spinning alloy wheels, paint jobs, neon lights, spoilers and body kits. Who are you impressing? The group of tear-away kids on the corner down the road?

I live in the north of Dublin. If I want to go to Bray, it's a short 20 minute journey into the city centre and a further 15 minutes on the DART. Okay, granted our transport system may not be up to the standard of mainland Europe but does having a car seem a tad bit extravagant in this worrisome financial situation we are now unlucky enough to find ourselves in.

So I don't think having a car in Ireland is a necessity but more of a fashion statement to small-minded adolescences with an eye on MTV and it's ever changing pop culture we seem to be under. Moreover, if I had a car in England, I could explore the countryside and cities, perhaps take a short but pleasurable voyage to the highlands of Scotland or meet the atmosphere of a Welsh pub. Also, the EuroStar tunnel, under the channel, costs little when compared to this shambolic circus we call a ferry company.

Furthermore, Ireland has one of the worst telecommunication systems in the E.U, MagicMarker. People may not like it, but a little bit of healthy criticism about Ireland doesn't necessarily have to be negative. Indeed, reality evolves from epiphanies.

there are many more parts to the country than the little part of dublin that your life revolves around. until there's a public transport system that is a viable alternative to driving your own car, then owning a car is much more of a necessity than a fashion statement. but if you only want to go as far as bray, then that's great for you.
    as for the eurostar... have you priced it? have you considered the freedom of driving through northern france from calais down to some cracking little towns such as le touqet? the eurostar may sound great and all that but the plane is still the fastest way to paris including the check in time and tooling about in the airport. if you want to live your life stuck to a time table then yes, a car is definitely not for you. if you're still bothered about peer pressure and what others will think about what you drive then as the other posters said, you really do need to grow up. people can buy what they want, if they can afford it, and if they can then don't begrudge them. have the guts to compliment them.
    also, why is the ferry company a shambolic circus?? i've used them many many times and they've done precisely what i needed. especially at times coming up to Christmas when flights were cancelled due to fog.

seriously though, you're asking for advice and taking the piss out of posters. if you don't agree with them, just don't respond.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

London has loads to do, but feck is it expensive! I don't like big cities, so it's not for me - but if you have the cash, and like big cities - then go for it. A change is always welcome.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I haven't read the entirety of this thread because a huge chunk of it seems to be ridiculous bickering, but here's some useful info:

1) Cost of living: having moved here 3 years ago and lived the previous 5 years in Cork, I find that the cost of living in London around Zone 2 is not that much more expensive. Rent is the only exception, and even then only because rents in Ireland have finally started to move in a sensible direction. Cost of food, transport, entertainment - they're all comparable.

2) Work: availability of employment is going to vary based on your skills, CV and industry. Plan ahead, try and line something up if you can before moving over - have some money to live on before you move so that you're not screwed if there's nothing in the first day or two.

3) Transport: Oyster card is the way to go. Surveillance claims aside (the number of CCTV cameras in London make that a given anyway, if you're going to be paranoid about it) the Oyster is the best way of getting around - works across all the major transport links, and gives you much more reasonable pricing to boot.

4) Accommodation - there's no UK equivalent of daft.ie, unfortunately, so you have to use a bunch of sites. Findaproperty.com and primelocation.com are both reasonable, but there are plenty more around and it's worth spending time checking several sites to make sure you don't miss something that would suit you.

5) A few links you may want to look at:
    www.upmystreet.com - lets you find out about areas where you may be thinking of living/working
    www.gumtree.co.uk - best place to look for short-term accomodation
    www.tfl.gov.uk - more info about transport.
    There are also a bunch of links on the London Forum resources sticky at boardsgroup.com, and you can search through the London Forum - however, Cloud has said that there are plans to merge all the boardsgroup.com fora back into the main boards.ie site probably around July, so I wouldn't get too attached to it :(

Best of luck with the move :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I lived in London from 2004-2009 at I loved every second of it, and hope to move back there as soon as I'm finished my degree here.

As far as it being expensive:

Yes, Rent and Transport are pricey. Everything else is cheaper or at least the same price as Dublin. Healthcare is free.

I think a lot of people are basing their opinions on having spent a few days there. As you live there a while, you begin to learn the cheapest ways of doing stuff. For example, there are plenty of pubs all over the city with £2 or cheaper drinks. Even nightclubs. Plenty of places you can get a decent meal for under a tenner too.

Supermarkets are very cheap. For example a litre of Tesco Freshly squeezed Orange juice is close to €4 in Ireland, €2 in London. I rarely spent more than £25 a week on groceries, and I ate well.

Another big saving is the fact that there is tons to do for free around London. There's always free concerts, free exhibitions etc. I've spent many a day walking around the South Bank of the Thames.

So, yeah I'd definitely recommend living in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Fysh wrote: »
    I haven't read the entirety of this thread because a huge chunk of it seems to be ridiculous bickering

I agree - can we cut out the bickering please. This could be a useful thread for people and it's getting spoiled be childish arguments,

Any more of it and posts will be deleted and users infracted/banned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I live in London. It's an expensive city, no doubt about it. I find it more expensive than Dublin, but it has way more to offer as well. And as others have pointed out, not everything is that expensive. The way I see it:

Expensive

Rent - if you want to live in a decent area, this is loads.
    Council tax - REALLY expensive, adds on a few hundred to the rent every month

Not so expensive

Food - groceries are WAY cheaper here than in Dublin. I can eat well on £20 quid a week and that's without going to Lidl or Aldi.
    Culture/entertainment - So much to do here for free - parks, museums, concerts, all sorts.
    Pubs - Drinks are almost half the price as in Dublin

Transport and most other things, I'd rate about the same. Buses are cheaper than in Dublin but I find the Tube really expensive - minimum of 1.80 to go just one stop on an Oyster card, for example.

It wouldn't be my favourite place in the world, but in general I like it. Mostly for the availability of anything and everything, and the fact that so much happens here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Expensive

Rent - if you want to live in a decent area, this is loads.
    Council tax - REALLY expensive, adds on a few hundred to the rent every month

I'm not sure I agree about either of those as across-the-board costs, to be honest. I've lived one- and two-bedroom flats since I've moved here (around Kilburn) and our council tax hasn't ever been much more than £120 a month or so. It's very dependent on the area you live in and the sale value of the property market.

It's an important thing to bear in mind when choosing an area to live in, that much is certain.
    Food - groceries are WAY cheaper here than in Dublin. I can eat well on £20 quid a week and that's without going to Lidl or Aldi.
    Culture/entertainment - So much to do here for free - parks, museums, concerts, all sorts.
    Pubs - Drinks are almost half the price as in Dublin

I can't reiterate the entertainment side of things enough, it's stunning how much there is to do for free in London. The sheer number of parks is mind-boggling, and they're all a pleasure to stroll around. There are cheap cinemas, loads of comedy clubs, little theatres all over the place...it's great :)
    Transport and most other things, I'd rate about the same. Buses are cheaper than in Dublin but I find the Tube really expensive - minimum of 1.80 to go just one stop on an Oyster card, for example.

The bus with an Oyster card is pretty cheap, and while the Tube is expensive if you're only going one stop you can usually walk that distance in 5 or 10 minutes. The prices are better when you're travelling longer distances, especially for commuting.

One useful thing to remember is that the Overground is generally more pleasant than the Underground if there's a suitable line or route - outside of rush hour it's a bit less crowded and has fresh air.

It wouldn't be my favourite place in the world, but in general I like it. Mostly for the availability of anything and everything, and the fact that so much happens here.[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I'm not sure I agree about either of those as across-the-board costs, to be honest. I've lived one- and two-bedroom flats since I've moved here (around Kilburn) and our council tax hasn't ever been much more than £120 a month or so. It's very dependent on the area you live in and the sale value of the property market.

Mine is way more than that. It does indeed depend on the area, but to me 120 quid a month is still a lot for Kilburn or similar areas. I wasn't used to council tax at all, having rented in Dublin. I'm looking at new flats now and I have to keep reminding myself that a £1000 pcm place is really going to be £1150 or something - it's a big difference.
    I can't reiterate the entertainment side of things enough, it's stunning how much there is to do for free in London. The sheer number of parks is mind-boggling, and they're all a pleasure to stroll around. There are cheap cinemas, loads of comedy clubs, little theatres all over the place...it's great :)

Yep...I remember in Dublin people used to go on about how the National Gallery was great cos it was free...here there are dozens and dozens of better galleries and museums to visit for absolutely nothing. I went to the Science Museum last week and they even had a picnic area so you could openly eat your home made sandwiches without spending a penny.
    The bus with an Oyster card is pretty cheap, and while the Tube is expensive if you're only going one stop you can usually walk that distance in 5 or 10 minutes. The prices are better when you're travelling longer distances, especially for commuting.

I can't agree here. The bus is reasonable, yes. The Tube, I don't think so. It does depend - I find the off peak price to Heathrow on the Piccadilly line very good value - but other journeys are quite a rip off. Costs me well over a fiver to go to my boyfriend's house and back, he's in zone 4 and I'm in zone 1 but it's only 15 mins on the train. I don't find the monthly passes good value at all compared to other cities I've lived in. I walk anywhere if it's under 30 mins walk away, and I still spend half my daily budget on travel.

For those of you coming to London there are companies out there which will set you up with a bank account and a National Insurance number for £55.00

It might be worth investigating to save time when you come over

For those of you coming to London there are companies out there which will set you up with a bank account and a National Insurance number for £55.00

It might be worth investigating to save time when you come over

I'd certainly say it's important to investigate such a company and make sure they're not shady - personally I'd be a bit concerned about it, because the amount of documentation normally required to get both an NI number and bank account would mean that a company doing this on your behalf could put themselves in an excellent position to commit identity fraud against you.

If it's legal and above-board, it may be worth pursuing as an alternative to doing it all yourself. It sounds a bit too good to be true to me though.

I'd certainly say it's important to investigate such a company and make sure they're not shady - personally I'd be a bit concerned about it, because the amount of documentation normally required to get both an NI number and bank account would mean that a company doing this on your behalf could put themselves in an excellent position to commit identity fraud against you.

If it's legal and above-board, it may be worth pursuing as an alternative to doing it all yourself. It sounds a bit too good to be true to me though.

That is why I have not put a link up to the company, just noticed them this afternoon whilst walking up Regents street.

Bank account and NI would save allot of hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It's not a huge amount of work really.
    Hard part is getting proof of address. And I'd imagine these companies would need them anyway.

Other than that, it's just a few forms. Could probably do it over two or three lunchbreaks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

I only recently got a NI number, having worked here for 5 years. It's not essential to get right away - you'll still be in the correct tax bracket, and can visit a doctor for free.

• Advertisement

nitrogen wrote: »
    I only recently got a NI number, having worked here for 5 years. It's not essential to get right away - you'll still be in the correct tax bracket, and can visit a doctor for free.

It's a good idea to do it sooner than later though, as depending on how your workplace handles tax you may end up paying emergency tax pretty damn fast, which isn't a great deal of fun...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

You'd be pretty hard pressed to find a job that doesn't require an NI number!
    I'd list it as one of the essential first steps along with opening a bank account...

Moving over here is pricey enough as it is, I wouldn't fancy my first few wage slips having a massive chunk of emergency tax taken off them as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mr. A

In terms of seeking jobs, I suppose it depends on one's industry, but has anyone had much luck securing a job before they go over? Are there any particular recruitment agencies one would recommend that might help secure work in the UK? Or is best to try the job hunt alone?

Would appreciate any thoughts. Apart from the random bickering, a lot of the posts here have been really interesting. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Mr. A wrote: »
    In terms of seeking jobs, I suppose it depends on one's industry, but has anyone had much luck securing a job before they go over? Are there any particular recruitment agencies one would recommend that might help secure work in the UK? Or is best to try the job hunt alone?

Would appreciate any thoughts. Apart from the random bickering, a lot of the posts here have been really interesting. :)

I moved there temporarily a few years ago. I got a three interviews before I went over and ryanaired it to them before the move. You need to be clear about an arrival date in your job application, assert that you're definitely moving over, otherwise they'll probably bin your application in favour for a local when they see your Irish address and phone number.

Recruitment agencies over there are just as inconsistently good/bad as they are here, except there are far more of them.

Good sites for jobs are the guardian online (really good), monster.co.uk (although, it's annoying to navigate) and gumtree (I got my job there, directly through an employer). I applied for lots of jobs through recruitment agencies and got no feedback/replies whatsover. When I moved, the job-hunt lasted six-weeks - and by that, I mean applying for 20+ jobs per day, changing my cover letter to suit the position etc. but I found that getting interviews was easier than here, only through direct employers though.

Although, as you said, this depends on what position you're looking for. I needed office managerial experience and that's what I got. Have at least two months fall back cash. Also, if you're on the bob dole here, you can keep claiming it for a few weeks over there - I didn't know this when I moved over and it would have helped a lot.

Best of luck with the move and finding a job :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shtory buck?

I would def recommend moving to london, moved here in february and got a job within two weeks. was on the dole for six months at home tried to get an accountancy/admin job but to no avail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

tman wrote: »
    You'd be pretty hard pressed to find a job that doesn't require an NI number!
    I'd list it as one of the essential first steps along with opening a bank account...

Moving over here is pricey enough as it is, I wouldn't fancy my first few wage slips having a massive chunk of emergency tax taken off them as well!

Misinformed lies. I've worked here for over 5 years, and even freelanced and you do not need it to get a job. Also it has nothing to do with what tax you pay, that is calculated from your annual salary.

Yes, it is wise to get one as soon as you arrive in the UK. It will also make claiming tax back easier if you haven't worked a full tax year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Misinformed lies. I've worked here for over 5 years, and even freelanced and you do not need it to get a job. Also it has nothing to do with what tax you pay, that is calculated from your annual salary.

Yes, it is wise to get one as soon as you arrive in the UK. It will also make claiming tax back easier if you haven't worked a full tax year.

if you're self employed, then you may get away without an NI number, but if you are going to be on a payroll, it's the first thing you'll need. sage is a pain in the arse if you don't have an NI number. i'd get one, the interview for it was so ridiculous i look back and laugh. they asked me when i moved over for work, i mentioned that it was a ryanair flight on a thursday afternoon a few months ago. they looked at me and asked if i remembered the flight number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I also find the guardian website great, but if you plan in working in a sector where you need a garda clearance/CRB check, get an agency to apply for up well in advance; I'm eight weeks without work (all my experience is in the care/social work field and I'm basically up the creek till the check comes through. Some other sectors other than the care sectors require that check also, so research.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bullsilver

when you move over you can work for 28 days without an ni number. I dont see the point in using those companies who do it for 55 pound you ring DPW set up an interview do it and u get your number. with the bank account you call in and say "hello id like to open a bank account" 55 pound saved. them give you a temp number. As for jobs i had a week of interviews and had 3 offers after the week. But you will be working alot harder here than at home depending on your industry. and you will pay alot more in tax. but you can see where the tax money goes unlike ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭takamichinoku

What are the employment prospects for someone with a high 2.1 in a pretty pointless degree(commerce, focused on economics and information systems) and 2 years in a supermarket as their only work experience?

I've about €4k to work off initially if it's needed.

Advertisement