Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone Here Ever Live Abroad? Thinking Of London.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Dublin is years behind Britain.

Dublin is not britain. London is not dublin. All capitals have a different vibe, prague, paris, madrid, berlin etc all very different cities with different strengths and weaknesses. You asked for peoples opinions & experiences then ignored what people say in order to point out that you think dublin is a second rate city. Why not just go if you like it so much ?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

owenc wrote: »
    Since when were you aloud to speak to me like that.

he gave his opinion just like you gave yours... relax!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

brummytom wrote: »
    London's a shithole

Some parts of it definitely are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Morlar wrote: »
    Some parts of it definitely are.
    Much of South/East London is, tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Much of South/East London is, tbh

Same in every city, is it not?

• Advertisement

London is good fun but as had been said you need money.

I was broke for the first six months or so I was there until got my cashflow sorted.

There are plenty of other people in the same situation so it wouldn't be so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

London is good fun but as had been said you need money.

I was broke for the first six months or so I was there until got my cashflow sorted.

There are plenty of other people in the same situation so it wouldn't be so bad.

Thanks for the positivity! :D

I'm thinking about residing on the outskirts perhaps. I have family in the Morden (sp?) area. A trip into the city centre is, at best, a 30 minutes journey - less expensive too. XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Here Here.

A few people said earlier how expensive everything was but if you forget about the conversion rate for a second, you'll find that most things from alcohol, cigarettes to electrical appliances etc are largely and for the most part cheaper in London.

I hate Irish tax. For Gods sake, Amazon.co.uk won't even deliver here because of the BS VAT policies.

Why would I want to live in a world where my thoughts, needs and wants are an after-thought as opposed to service, education and convenience.

I found that you get more for your pound than you do the monopoly money we call the euro its like what our punt used to be oh i miss the days..............

anyway we do have a crap tax system and seem to be stuck in the 1970's with the way things are run however we are very liberal in our thoughts especially in the two major cities ie dublin and cork this is due to the young population though

so have you looked at jobs??? places to stay??? as if you have no job and the expensive of rent and living you only get the dole over there once a forthnight and it is a stuggle to live on so im told never did it myself but know others who ended up on it so make sure you plan and then plan some more

LONDON BABY :D YEAH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I'm thinking about residing on the outskirts perhaps. I have family in the Morden (sp?) area. A trip into the city centre is, at best, a 30 minutes journey - less expensive too. XD

It's worth looking for a job before you settle on a place to live imo. Living in Morden would be all fine and dandy*, but if you found a job in Harrow for example**, you'd have a ****er of a commute ahead of you every day!

* I've never actually been there, it could be a ****hole for all I know...
    ** Picked somewhere randomly... Yet another place I haven't been to

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

I'm thinking London, Berlin or some city in America. Just have to quit smoking and get the cash together. Hopefully in the next 18 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

I'm looking for any info you can throw my way with regards to living and working in London. The lifestyle over there suites my way of life. I'm 23, energetic, motivated, ambitious and involved in an industry that is literally and hopelessly non-existent in Ireland.

Having recently come back from a two week stint while staying with family over there, I have grown to love the bright lights, the underground atmosphere and the overall friendliness of the people in general.

What are your experiences of working there or living there...is it overly expensive etc.

Thanks for replies in advance. :)

serious answer, london is a great buzz for lifestyle.I lived there from 90-96 and worked from day one(construction),its one of the greatest citys you can live in,IF,IF you are in full time employment and bringing in very good wages.
    I wouldn't advise going there with nothing lined up as its a very expensive and lonely city if you have no income,as an above poster said,travel underground,overhead trains,rent and every other bill that comes with it can be very difficult before a cup of tea passes your lips but go for it op nothing ventured nothing gained.
    In the 6 years i lived there i've had a few bad experiences but know where near the amount of great memories i have.hope that helps.

AH answer,feck off

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I honestly have no idea what the fuck you're blathering on about now, Owen.

Is he your much younger brother?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Is he your much younger brother?:confused:
    No, my youngest brother's 10 - but he's mature :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Didn't really like London.

New York ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

Offy wrote: »
    I lived in Manchester for nearly five years. There is lots to do there, nightclubs stay open till 8am. It has a lot of Irish there too. Its kinda a big slum tbh but theres always a party going on. If you really want to know what Manchester is like ignore Cornation Street and watch Shameless.

God I hate that show - forget the countless acheivements of the city: invention of the computer, birthplace of the communist manifesto, history of acceptence of displaced peoples, first city with a passenger railway, 2 premier teams, ability to rebuild and look forward following IRA bomb with out recrimination, the curry mile, Hacienda, Factory records, countless museum and galleries, several thriving communities within the city (jewish, irish, polish, gay, chinese etc..), some of the most affluent areas outside of London, home to shows such as Cracker, Coronation St, Father & Son, European markets, Irish Festival, Annual 'Manchester' festival etc..

Still that depiction of the lowest level of this city get used as a defining illustration!!!:(

....Now Scattah!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

From After Hours

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lillykay

London is brilliant
    the only thing thats expensive is rent and the tube
    food can be sooo cheap
    tins of peas 12p in sainsurys
    bottles of wine 3 pounds
    newspaper 20p
    each bus journey 1 pound on your oyster card

cheap fruit everywhere!!

I lived in SE20 for a year and loved it !!!!

ppl are so friendly. I lived in a slightly dodgy area but the only time i ever saw trouble was when a fight kicked off in the library:eek:

lillykay wrote: »
    London is brilliant
    the only thing thats expensive is rent and the tube
    food can be sooo cheap - and it can't be in ireland?
    tins of peas 12p in sainsurys - who the **** wants peas?
    bottles of wine 3 pounds - pretty sure wine is just as cheap here
    newspaper 20p - internet ftw
    each bus journey 1 pound on your oyster card - car ftw

cheap fruit everywhere!! - fruit is generally cheap

I lived in SE20 for a year and loved it !!!!

ppl are so friendly. I lived in a slightly dodgy area but the only time i ever saw trouble was when a fight kicked off in the library:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 lillykay

oy oy!! have you ever been there magic marker?
    I have never been able to buy food as cheap here as i did in london.
    peas were just an example im not gonna list everything out!
    wine was generally better quality for the cheap ones, when yu buy the cheapest here its usually ****.
    car ftw?? way more expensive.

and even if it was exactly the same prices as dublin, youre getting a waaaay better city for your money.

not to mention the great cheap nights out to be had in all the wetherspoons.
    7 pounds for a bottle of wine in the pub. cant beat that

lillykay wrote: »
    7 pounds for a bottle of wine in the pub. cant beat that

Well, I don't drink, so I guess that means I win.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 cazzycaz

London, like every where good and bad places but generally cool. Exspensive yeah but not as bad as Dublin!! Manchester great place to live and cheaper. My sister lived in Edinburgh she thought it brilliant. Would be better to have accomodation and job lined up or a bit of money behind you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

op given your age you should aim for somewhere like clapham or greenwich that has a great night life on the doorstep but it can be expensive like most others have said. as opposed to what run to da hills said, if you have an oyster card, and you're robbed, it would be easy enough to track down whoever did it!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Tom_ap_Rhys_Pryce

as for the poster complaining about the taxes here, it'll be pretty much the same in the uk within the next fortnight when the emergency budget comes into play. and things are going to get a lot worse before it gets better. the uk has a scary deficit it needs to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I've been living here for almost two years and I love it.
    It can be expensive for certain things already mentioned, but I've found it a wonderful friendly exciting place to live.
    I live in a fairly green leafy part of North West London, so I do feel like I have a bit of "space" from the city..but it's very quickly accessed.

It definitely has been one of the best things I've ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

MagicMarker you say car FTW but have you even considered the difference in price of buying and running a car between Ireland and the UK. You're possibly looking at possibly double for the same car in Ireland.

I've always looked upon attitude's to having one's own vehicle in this country with a touch of absurdity. Allow me to explain.

During my teenage years, cars were an item to suggest your "pulling power" with the opposite sex rather than being considered vital transport. I've never understood fully, the craze surrounding tinted windows, spinning alloy wheels, paint jobs, neon lights, spoilers and body kits. Who are you impressing? The group of tear-away kids on the corner down the road?

I live in the north of Dublin. If I want to go to Bray, it's a short 20 minute journey into the city centre and a further 15 minutes on the DART. Okay, granted our transport system may not be up to the standard of mainland Europe but does having a car seem a tad bit extravagant in this worrisome financial situation we are now unlucky enough to find ourselves in.

So I don't think having a car in Ireland is a necessity but more of a fashion statement to small-minded adolescences with an eye on MTV and it's ever changing pop culture we seem to be under. Moreover, if I had a car in England, I could explore the countryside and cities, perhaps take a short but pleasurable voyage to the highlands of Scotland or meet the atmosphere of a Welsh pub. Also, the EuroStar tunnel, under the channel, costs little when compared to this shambolic circus we call a ferry company.

Furthermore, Ireland has one of the worst telecommunication systems in the E.U, MagicMarker. People may not like it, but a little bit of healthy criticism about Ireland doesn't necessarily have to be negative. Indeed, reality evolves from epiphanies.

I've always looked upon attitude's to having one's own vehicle in this country with a touch of absurdity. Allow me to explain.

During my teenage years, cars were an item to suggest your "pulling power" with the opposite sex rather than being considered vital transport. I've never understood fully, the craze surrounding tinted windows, spinning alloy wheels, paint jobs, neon lights, spoilers and body kits. Who are you impressing? The group of tear-away kids on the corner down the road?

I live in the north of Dublin. If I want to go to Bray, it's a short 20 minute journey into the city centre and a further 15 minutes on the DART. Okay, granted our transport system may not be up to the standard of mainland Europe but does having a car seem a tad bit extravagant in this worrisome financial situation we are now unlucky enough to find ourselves in.

So I don't think having a car in Ireland is a necessity but more of a fashion statement to small-minded adolescences with an eye on MTV and it's ever changing pop culture we seem to be under. Moreover, if I had a car in England, I could explore the countryside and cities, perhaps take a short but pleasurable voyage to the highlands of Scotland or meet the atmosphere of a Welsh pub. Also, the EuroStar tunnel, under the channel, costs little when compared to this shambolic circus we call a ferry company.

Wow. You're so cool. You continue on your non conformist ways, you'll show us all!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,884 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wow. Just wow. How exceptionally narrowminded.

I live in the country. If I don't have a car I can't get to work. No offence intended but that's an extremely narrowminded attitude to think that all of Ireland is the same as the small corner you're from. With an attitude like that I'd recommended sticking to that corner because it'll be quickly pulled up in a more cosmopolitan London.

Wow. You're so cool. You continue on your non conformist ways, you'll show us all!
    Quazzie wrote: »
    Wow. Just wow. How exceptionally narrowminded.

I live in the country. If I don't have a car I can't get to work. No offence intended but that's an extremely narrowminded attitude to think that all of Ireland is the same as the small corner you're from. With an attitude like that I'd recommended sticking to that corner because it'll be quickly pulled up in a more cosmopolitan London.

I think you guys completely misunderstood me. I wasn't implying we should all sell our cars. I was telling you of my experience growing up.

I accept you need one for work but that's the thing. People, in my experience growing up, who don't need one, in their narrow mindedness, think having one elevates them to such a high social standard.

And that was the main point of my comment, even if it didn't appear so.

I think you guys completely misunderstood me. I wasn't implying we should all sell our cars. I was telling you of my experience growing up.

I accept you need one for work but that's the thing. People, in my experience growing up, who don't need one, in their narrow mindedness, think having one elevates them to such a high social standard.

And that was the main point of my comment, even if it didn't appear so.
    Maybe people just like cars?

Methinks you have a bit of growing up still to do.

• Advertisement

Maybe people just like cars?

Methinks you have a bit of growing up still to do.

Wow.

Now it's blatantly obvious you're a troll or a complete and hopeless imbecile.

Have I not already stated the short-comings of this attitude towards things people can't reasonably afford?

Okay, let me give you my opinion on what I would do if money fell into my lap from the sky. I'd invest it.

Not throw it away on something I do not class as a legitimate NEED of mine, granted others require their vehicle.

The people I was addressing were those that place it on the very top of the WANT pyramid and then you come back with the single most ridiculous statement I've read here on boards...."maybe people just like cars"...

Wow.

I like houses.

Does that mean I'm going to get myself into debt by throwing my hat in to every GWD bid going? Not to mention the maintenance. Get your head on straight.

It's me who thinks YOU have a lot of education and reason understanding to do.

Run along now.

Advertisement