Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords CC Club Leage 10 mile TT 26/5/2010

Options
  • 26-05-2010 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

On tonight though some speculation over the route.

Supposed to Be Ballyboughall to N1 left and down to 5 roads back over flyover and finish naearing Blakes Cross. Nasy wind last night going north and some ahen variable road surfaces in places and some class in places as just resurfaced. There are also roadworks with trafic lights.

Cycled yesterday and went by roadworks and asked them would they finished and one lad said no way not a chance and then another walked over and said they’d hope to be.......

I'm led to believe that if that doesn’t go that route it will be Naul to Balbriggan (big roundabout) and back instead. A bit short but safest option going.

Any predictions? I predict Staro won't do it and Beasty has been doing a lot of aero stuff so will be interested to see how he goes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

Shaun
    I will be wining this one tonight ... been training for 2 years for it ! :eek:

Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Good luck chaps, I'm out as I am cycling Mizen to Malin.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭biker_joe

you started already Raam ????

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Raam wrote: »
    Good luck chaps, I'm out as I am cycling Mizen to Malin.

PM me if you want any help with routes thru Cork/Kerry or places to refuel.
    When will you be there?

*epic thread hi-jack*

Starting tomorrow.
    This is our first stage...

http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=126247

Dunno if that goes anywhere near you, Rok On.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

shaungil wrote: »
    On tonight though some speculation over the route.

Supposed to Be Ballyboughall to N1 left and down to 5 roads back over flyover and finish naearing Blakes Cross. Nasy wind last night going north and some ahen variable road surfaces in places and some class in places as just resurfaced. There are also roadworks with trafic lights.

Cycled yesterday and went by roadworks and asked them would they finished and one lad said no way not a chance and then another walked over and said they’d hope to be.......

I can't see any way that hole will be filled in today!
    I'm led to believe that if that doesn’t go that route it will be Naul to Balbriggan (big roundabout) and back instead. A bit short but safest option going.

It would be nice to find out beforehand where it is due to start! - that option seems to be about 12 km (just under 7.5m) on MMR

One option would be to keep the original route, turning left at the hanging baskets, over to the R132 (N1) to rejoin the original route, turn round at the flyover and back again, turning left at the hanging baskets and finishing where the Corduff circuit finishes (on the bridge over the M1) - this is almost exactly 10m - I suspect this route would require a couple of extra marshals though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

OK. Not bad at all.
    Ballylickey to Ballingeary is stunning. However instead of going from there to Ballymakee take a 2km diversion to Ballyvourney in order to climb Mullaghanish. Public road climbs to 430m in 6km however a private road climbs to 650 in 7km. You'll love it. Great views mostly at 10%plus.
    On the map it is the road from Ballyvourney to Glandive.
    In the descent you will meet up with your original route into Millstreet.

The rest of the route to Charlevilee is undulating on mainly good quiet roads.
    Enjoy.

Sorry for hijack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Well I'd also be suprised if it's finished as it was a darn large hole but they said they'd have it finished so what can you do. If changed you get a nice warm-up over the Nags head.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Beasty wrote: »
    [/COLOR]

I can't see any way that hole will be filled in today!

It would be nice to find out beforehand where it is due to start! - that option seems to be about 12 km (just under 7.5m) on MMR

One option would be to keep the original route, turning left at the hanging baskets, over to the R132 (N1) to rejoin the original route, turn round at the flyover and back again, turning left at the hanging baskets and finishing where the Corduff circuit finishes (on the bridge over the M1) - this is almost exactly 10m - I suspect this route would require a couple of extra marshals though

Guys

This is the confirmed route for this evenings TT. Start at the Top of the Nags Head. cheers

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/79871

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Guys

This is the confirmed route for this evenings TT. Start at the Top of the Nags Head. cheers

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/79871

gonna be fast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Raam wrote: »
    gonna be fast!

Indeed, that's gonna be one fast circuit. Time to put my excess lbs to good use :D

@Lapierre07, where's sign on?

Hungrycol wrote: »
    Indeed, that's gonna be one fast circuit. Time to put my excess lbs to good use :D

@Lapierre07, where's sign on?

Ballyboughal GAA as per the website...only the route has changed due to the roadworks on the Dublin-Belfast road. sign-on from 6.30pm

Any predictions for the winning time?

Sweet if you're looking for a 10 mile TT pb this might be the course.

The turnoff before N1 might give more protection from the wind but the road up to Ballough was brutal the last time I was on it. The last mile and a half is open though so keep something in reserve. Something I never do, hammerfest from the start....

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Any predictions for the winning time?

Sub 20 minutes for the full aero geared up hammerfest dudes?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Forecast is for northerly winds of around 25 kph, which will be a headwind for that final stretch

That first corner is going to be fast!

Looks like I should be putting weight onto the bike, not trying to take it off!

Hopefully the handicaps will work in favour of us in the slower categories on a fast course like this (particularly those of us of "larger proportions"):)

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Staro

I think big dog Shaungil may have an outside chance for this on as the start is fast and the finish is flat! I better make sure I am not out before him!

Final twist on the course - they took about 35m of dowhill from the start and added a similar amount of uphill to the end. Hence rather than a net descent of about 100m we ended up with nearer 30m of net downhill

Add to this a headwind for the second half, and the overall times ended up perhaps more like a flat 10mTT

I was 8th off. The two in front of me were both in my regular group, as was the one behind me. Hence I was amongst cyclists of similar ability. The guy 2 minutes behind me though was fast, and had all the gear (even more aero than Lumen:eek:).

I set off at a quick pace down the hill, trying to get the rhythm going, dropping onto the aero bars. Then I realised I had not started the Garmin, so had to readjust while I set it off, about 40s after the start.

Settled back on the aerobars - could see my minute man in the distance, and set about closing the gap. After about 5km I gained my first scalp - a lady that had set off 4 minutes before me - she was very much a novice, but a scalp nonetheless.

Another 3 km or so, and I overtook my minute man. About half-way round and averaging just under 43 kph, and keeping on the power target at 295w. Pretty much all the descent was over, and I was turning into the wind. My speed dropped dramatically. One problem I was having on the undulating terrain was changing gears regularly enough when on the aerobars.

Got onto the Old N1 - about 4-5km to go, and I can see my 2 minute lady ahead. Then aeroman sweeps past. I think he is in the scratch group, so I should have a 3 minute handicap advantage over him. Hence I needed to be no more than 1 minute behind him to beat him on handicap. He shoots off, but I push a bit harder, and keep him within a reasonable distance.

After taking the final turn off the Old N1, I catch my 2 minute lady over the M1 flyover. Now there are a couple of blind bends and the final hill to go.

I get round the bends, and over the initial part of the hill - I can see aeroman ahead, just short of the finishing line. I dig a bit deeper - do I have enough gears (I had not planned for this hill)? I get over the worst bit, then push on to the end. I was about 30-40s behind aeroman, so hopefully the handicap will work out for me.

It took me a minute or two at the end to get over it, before I went back to check my time - 27m 08s, at an average speed of 35.6 kph (max 60.9 kph), average power 286w (normalised 297w)

There were about 40 riders in total, and I suspect I will be somewhere in mid-table mediocrity based on total time. The handicap should work in my favour though - I think shaungil recorded something like the 5th fastest time, and I was exactly 2 minutes behind him (which I think should equal the handicap I get over him)

I suspect I left a little too much in reserve during the 3rd quarter - I think I could have pushed a little harder, without losing too much for the final climb. Average power was a little less than I hoped for, although I am not sure how much being on the aerobars affected that (it clearly improved my time, but may have lost me some power at the margins, particularly as I am not used to using them)

Anyway that's a PB for the 10m TT (not surprising really, as it's the first one I have done!)

No stats for me. Not overly happy with course change as kicker hill at the end cost me a fair bit. Downhill at start doing over 60km then averaging 43/45 km toward N1 then turned into wind and windier roads and tried to keep cadence upand spin it out but was making not much inroads to my minure amn who I could see in the distance as we crossed flyover and back on a decent road I got more aero and caught 2 min and min man fairly close but kept my powder dry-ish knowing kicker hill at end.
    Could see 3 min man ahead and tried to push but nothing really there so think that last hill did cost me a bit.

Would have liked an 11 for the start as was spinning out a bit and cuold feel onset of cramp. New Carbon TT is being built (used the Spec with clip ons) and no aero helmet skin suit, how much time time they save I leave to Lumen Beasty et al.

superlav was late 22 then an ex-international of Swords 23.4? next Swords an A2 guy at 24 and a half and someone else so 5th overall.

I think I was stronger at TT's back in Tri days as I was in the position more and haven't been practicing. Am probably generating more power now but not in the aero position. Interesting to see how the new bike affects things as 25 mille TT in a few weeks.

And my lungs are still burning and I coughed up half a lung straight after. Noithing like a TT to make you suffer:D

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Staro

Out for a nice spin tonight but ruined by a 10 mile TT in the middle. Not a huge fan of TT's, did a mid 26 .....way off the pace!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

No stats for me.

Not even a time? Come on, a bit of technology won't kill you...

IntroWatchWithChain.jpg

The handicap format sounds fun. I guess it's all good practice for chasing down team mates. ;)

Lumen wrote: »
    Not even a time? Come on, a bit of technology won't kill you...

IntroWatchWithChain.jpg

The handicap format sounds fun. I guess it's all good practice for chasing down team mates. ;)
    It's a bit like Chris Boardman's Secret Squirrel Club - he's trying to build a sense of mystery around his performance, to try and keep his opponents guessing.

His time was 25m 8s by the way!

No bike computer (or Garmin what not) and I forgot my HR watch so it was all down to my legs, lungs and knowledge of the course.

That was tougher than expected but I felt I recovered quickly from it so maybe I could have pushed harder. No idea of my time so let us know on here as soon as the times are up. Not thinking I did brilliantly but didn't get caught so that's a bonus. I did catch my minute man but realised afterwards he was having an asthma attack about half way around so in hindsight I take no pride in passing him. Fair play to him in making it to the finish and fortunately there was an inhaler at the finish line.

I'm away next week so good luck to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Swords CC T/T Club 10 (16k), Ballyboughal. Cracking day for this. Cycled up to the sign-on (found it thanks to Raam, wasn't what was on the website - 'Corduff Main St.'?). Anyway, could see the 'real' dudes getting ready with the rollers, pointy hats etc. meanwhile my bottle cage broke....! Hungrycol spotted it so I was saved the embarassment (at least) of it dropping off on the route. Headed off 25th on what was for me a new experience (not been on the route or 10ml TT before) so just put the head down and pushed it. Thanks to the marshalls that saved me from going the wrong way. Anyway, the man behind me (Connor?) caught me about 2/3s way but was not flaking it and pretty much woke me up. I speeded up and chased after him, then found myself behind him. I reckoned that I might get disqualified if I didn't go around (?) so went around him at a slight rise coming up to the flyover. Passed my minute (woman) at that point and somewhere after that the man came back and went by this time. I managed to stay in touch but not able to get by - about 50m - which was how it finished. I was glad to see the finish but reckon I could have maybe pushed a little bit more in the middle but was wary of the route and had heard that the end was a hard uphill section so was keeping a little bit. Jacked by the end, I believe my time was about 27:30 or so by my computer but not sure. So that was the first time around that route and also in TT format. Happy enough. 30k cycle out and 30k back again with the 16k event brings me to 5050.772k for the year so far in events and training. Well done again to the organisers. Nice cycle back homeward with some of the Swords lads. Pretty sunset over airport as I passed.
    Stats:
    Time: 27:30, Distance: 16.298, Max: 56.6k/h, Ave: 35 k/h.

Apologies for formatting

Colm Laverty 22.26.
    Paddy Callally 23.52.
    Henry Crowley 24.28.
    Javan Nulty 24.44.
    John Leonard 25.05.
    Sean Gilbride 25.08.
    Eddie McMahon 25.39.
    Colin Smith 25.41.
    Sam McArdle 25.48.
    Mick Rock 25.59.
    Conor Chatten 25.59.
    Michael Daly 26.11.
    Mick Nulty 26.18.
    Gerry Martin 26.21.
    Jason Kelly 26.26.
    Michael Moran 26.3.
    Rob Staunton 26.33.
    Lochlann Walsh 26.43.
    John Rowan 26.44.
    Paul Atkinson 27.08.
    Robert O'Dea 27.14.
    Aidan Crener 27.15.
    Kevin McFeeley 27.26.
    Paddy Kelly 27.39.
    Tony Brady 28.01.
    Adam Lawlor 28.08.
    James Whelan 28.17.
    Kevin Morrison 28.39.
    Barry Burns 28.56.
    Steve Griffen 29.01.
    Brendan Conway 29.09.
    Emma Quirke 29.17.
    Alan Kelly 29.29.
    Michael O'Donoghue 29.32.
    Grace McNally 29.35.
    Darren McMahon 29.41.
    Keith Gilbride 29.51.
    John Lawlor 30.28.
    Marie Lord 40.06

Apologies for formatting

Colm Laverty 22.26.
    Paddy Callally 23.52.
    Henry Crowley 24.28.
    Javan Nulty 24.44.
    John Leonard 25.05.
    Sean Gilbride 25.08.
    Eddie McMahon 25.39.
    Colin Smith 25.41.
    Sam McArdle 25.48.
    Mick Rock 25.59.
    Conor Chatten 25.59.
    Michael Daly 26.11.
    Mick Nulty 26.18.
    Gerry Martin 26.21.
    Jason Kelly 26.26.
    Michael Moran 26.3.
    Rob Staunton 26.33.
    Lochlann Walsh 26.43.
    John Rowan 26.44.
    Paul Atkinson 27.08.
    Robert O'Dea 27.14.
    Aidan Crener 27.15.
    Kevin McFeeley 27.26.
    Paddy Kelly 27.39.
    Tony Brady 28.01.
    Adam Lawlor 28.08.
    James Whelan 28.17.
    Kevin Morrison 28.39.
    Barry Burns 28.56.
    Steve Griffen 29.01.
    Brendan Conway 29.09.
    Emma Quirke 29.17.
    Alan Kelly 29.29.
    Michael O'Donoghue 29.32.
    Grace McNally 29.35.
    Darren McMahon 29.41.
    Keith Gilbride 29.51.
    John Lawlor 30.28.
    Marie Lord 40.06
    What I really like is the fact you can't even spell your own name correctly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Javan Nulty 24.44.
    Sean Gilbride 25.08.

24 seconds off Javan, who is currently 9th ranked A3 rider in the country.

Tell me again, what are you still doing in A4?

Beasty wrote: »

I suspect I will be somewhere in mid-table mediocrity

Well that's one correct prediction this week - 19 ahead of me, 19 behind me

Lumen wrote: »
    24 seconds off Javan, who is currently 9th ranked A3 rider in the country.

Tell me again, what are you still doing in A4?
    And Javan probably had a pointy hat, disc wheels and the like - all shaungil had was clip-on bars and couldn't even be bothered to look at his computer

One thing I would say shaungil is you must have been pumping out the power - I was at just under 290w, 2 minutes behind you and 10-15% lighter - you must have been at well over 350w

• Advertisement

to clarify a few points Javan is 17 years of age but very canny and could be a top top rider. Paddy is an ex international and we all know Super Lav is a freak show;) on TT's. Though still an A3 so should you not be talking to him?
    Am reasonably happy with performance but bar final hill the course really suited me.
    We must all strive to inprove so I don't think I'm ever fully happy after a race. Maybe I'll borrow Beasty's power thingie someday and see what I can do.
    Spelling of name has become so varied over the years that Sean Shaun or Shawn won't be corrected. Will not accept Shane or Senan but will accept Sharon.

Advertisement