Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Clerical Child Abuse Thread (merged)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

Blueboyd wrote: »
    Thanks wolf.

And ISAW I'd argue that mainstram christianity is what you label a la carte Christianity cos main stream of people like to think for themselves. I think "Taliban-chrisitianity" :D - if we continue with labels - is a minority.
    Anyways - what bothers me maybe most in the official doctrines is that all of it seems very much to concentrate on the past or the future - but what happens now this very minute is the thing that counts. If you don't get it now - you probably won't later either.

sorry but NO! Much of the debate about Tiinity/no trinity Jesus was God/Man etc. was dealt with in the past about 1800 years ago and has NOT CHANGED! If you believe these doctrines are wrong then you are not a mainstream Christian. You can't just decide to believe "maybe Christ never existed" or "Maybe Christ was just a prophet" and claim to be a mainstream Christian.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Blueboyd

of course I can believe and say what I want to and still be mainstream cos mainstream does so. And I already did. And I do believe Jaysus was God - don't put words in my mouth. Except I don't believe he was more God than you and I. Okay maybe more than you but definitely not more than me.

And you missed the point

Main Entry: 1main·stream
    Pronunciation: \ˈmān-ˌstrēm\
    Function: noun
    Date: 1599
    : a prevailing current or direction of activity or influence

Mainstream of of Christianity is defined by what mainstream of people think not by some power-hungry hierarchy, theologians or wikipedia. Christianity is people's religion. Belonging culturally to a group or another doens't mean they agree the way the clergy of that group preach. If you think it does - maybe you should go more out.

But I am glad we are having this discussion in this abuse thread cos isn't this exacly what the hierarchies have tried for ages - abuse us to their interpretion and call us names. Seems you have learned a lot from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Not to me.

I am as holy as any freaking pope or clergy man.
    Any chance you could define the term holy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Michael G wrote: »

Blueboyd possibly thinks it is a synonym for 'confused'?

LOL

More abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

LOL

More abuse.

Your creativity in redefining language is truly impressive. Someone suggests you might be confused and you think you're getting abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

ISAW said:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfsbane
    But Blueboyd's objection was not that the RCC said the others weren't true Christians - it was that the RCC says the other Churches are not true Churches.

I was quite clear about it! ALL of then agree ther is only ONE Church. they don't think that all the other s are the wrong one and they are the only true one. They recognise a common baptism!
    That sounds like they recognise the individuals as Christians, but not the churches. Individuals, not churches, get baptised. In fact, if my memory serves me well, the last pope said the other churches were not true churches.
    If you recognist that someone baptised is baptised then you recognise they are a christian! the Free Presbyterians ( Ian Paisley's bunch) for example don't recognise this.
    Again, you are speaking of individuals, not churches. But you are right about FPs (and Evangelicals generally) - we do not hold that baptism makes a Christian. Many who are baptised are not real Christians, and many who are not baptised are real Christians.
    While the unity of the Church “subsists in the Catholic Church as something she can never lose”, it is also true that “the divisions among Christians prevent the Church from attaining the fullness of catholicity proper to her” . Thus the Council expresses the hope that the unity proper to the Church “will continue to increase until the end of time” .
    Again, this deals with the individuals, not the churches. The RCC is saying the separated brethren are Christians, not the separated churches.
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    Revelation 17:3 So he carried me away in the Spirit into the wilderness. And I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast which was full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. 4 The woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet, and adorned with gold and precious stones and pearls, having in her hand a golden cup full of abominations and the filthiness of her fornication. 5 And on her forehead a name was written:

MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
    6 I saw the woman, drunk with the blood of the saints and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus. And when I saw her, I marveled with great amazement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Thanks wolf.

And ISAW I'd argue that mainstram christianity is what you label a la carte Christianity cos main stream of people like to think for themselves. I think "Taliban-chrisitianity" :D - if we continue with labels - is a minority.

And what it comes to pope's visit and his sayings - I don't really care what you think if it is true or not. I only care what I think about it. And what I think about it is based of what I heard myself. And read about later of the denial.

I think in most religions there is a tendency that the clergy starts thinking too much of themselves- Maybe because they love God so much - full time - that they somehow start to think that they are more "anointed" than anyone else. Still, even the clergy can get into arguments amongst themselves - like up here currently when some small group of conservative clergy still don't approve women as priests or blessing of gays and lesbians - even if the official church has okayed it.

One can interpret scriptures in many ways - and people do that - even clergy. And even bible was compiled by men. There are other scriptures that didn't make it to the bible and through out the history there has been a tendency for men to underscore that their interpretation is the only true one and everything else is heretic. Clergy very often like to see themselves as some sort of gatekeepers but when Jaysus talked about the difficulty of getting into Kingdom of Heaven I don't think he meant it as a gatekeeper but spoke of the difficulty for men to understand how you do that.

Anyways - what bothers me maybe most in the official doctrines is that all of it seems very much to concentrate on the past or the future - but what happens now this very minute is the thing that counts. If you don't get it now - you probably won't later either.
    To avoid confusion it would be well to make sure ISAW's use of 'mainstream' here is the one you address. He is using it in the sense of those churches holding to most of the doctrines commonly agreed as essential - the deity of Christ, for example.

You are using it of the mass of people who make any claim to Christianity, most of whom are nominal or heretical by most official church creeds.
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    Revelation 1:7 Behold, He is coming with clouds, and every eye will see Him, even they who pierced Him. And all the tribes of the earth will mourn because of Him. Even so, Amen.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

An interesting commentary here from Dominic Lawson in the British Independent, which usually makes the Guardian look like the Daily Mail: http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/dominic-lawson/dominic-lawson-the-pope-is-vilified-polanski-indulged-1948842.html

What is more striking than the article itself is the tone of most of the comments — the frantic rage at the fact that anyone should question the notion that the Catholic Church is a global conspiracy dedicated to facilitating and concealing child abuse. One comment suggests that because Lawson — a distinguished journalist and a self-proclaimed atheist from a family of remote Jewish origin — is married to a Catholic, his views should not be entertained. We got much the same yesterday in the reaction to Vincent Twomey's article in the Irish Times (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2010/0419/1224268628613.html).

Let me see. Imagine this: Shell the mutinational oli company has operations all over the world. Unfortunately some of the bosses of Shell in Nigeria kill some people. Then a similar thing comes to the attention of HQ that Shell bosses in Mexico have murdered bunch of people too. The head office sends telefax to all branch offices and asks evryone to calm down and take a company vow not to speak to anyone or they get fire(d) and to send reports of what have happened to HQ so they can investigate if punishment is needed. Then in 2001 the new CEO of Shell send new instuctions that the old instructions are pretty okay but these things should be taken seriously and reports should be sent to the HQ so they can judge each case. The colleagues of the murderers in branch office know about these murders but do not go to police either but stay quiet. Then after few years almost in every country were Shell has operated it is found out that bosses of Shell have murdered people - the body count is in thousands all in all. When the cases have become public the CEO of Shell sends a letter to Nigeria and says the Shell bosses there have done clearly wrong and should repent but what happened was mostly because there is so much of these alternative-energy source companies in this world so that's why they basically did those murders - but if people turned away from alternative energy sources to oil again everything would be okay again. CEO also said he was truly sorry what those Nigerian Shell bosses had done but it really had nothing to do how he runs Shell or Shell operates as a company. It was a Nigerian problem. Then people from HQ Shell say they have been attacked by media and murders happens elsewhere too and why doesn't the media write about them as much.

Hmm... makes me think - is the CEO
    a) an idiot
    b) incompetent
    c) a liar
    d) trying to cover up
    e) all of the above

• Advertisement

PDN wrote: »
    Your creativity in redefining language is truly impressive. Someone suggests you might be confused and you think you're getting abused.

I am not confused at all - I find your suggestion disprespectful. But your comment doesn't surprise me though - didn't U just say in another thread that smacking your kid is okay - so no wonder you don't see the connection.

Like divine.

Look it up from Grandma Webster's dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭philiporeilly

_44569543_polo226.jpg

Irlandese wrote: »
    I hope it means " Oh, cripes, here is another one ! "

[unsupported rant]
    Where exactly are you coming from with all the pseudo-legal clap-trap and the nonsense in response to disected quotes ad nauseum that I will not dignify with individual responses. Trying to stymy the debate to cover the church, father??
    [/unsupported rant

Sorry friend, your stats re paedofile priests and religious are barmy.

Unsupported opinion no reference given to any stats or legal arguments from me.
    Have a decko at my much later post which looks at the figures in context and where I comment loosely, informed from reading from a huge literature and conversations with counsellors, police psychologists and forensic psychologists

Argument from opinion. In spite of claims of a mountain of supporting evidence No actual references are supplied!
    regarding the guestimates of fifteen to twenty percent of Irish religious being prone to such tendencies and the upper heirarchy being much more likely, percentage-wise, to reflect such tendencies.

Unsupported opinion! the claim that twenty percent of bishops are sexual deviants/child abusers is ludicrous!
    The figures for non-religious paedofile abuse are not available, but we can be certain that they are certainly not as you present here.

Wrong!
    Yes they are! Figures for non clerical abusers are available. wher do you think the figure of "one percent of abusers are clerics" comes from?

http://www.oneinfour.org/about/irishstatistics/

Girls: One in five (20.4%) of women report sexual contact in childhood with a further one in ten (10%) reporting non-contact sexual abuse.
    http://www.drcc.ie/about/savi.pdf

see table 4.3 through 4.5

page 85 in particular begins a discussion on "perpetrators"
    A Look at table 4.11 will ascertain re;ligious ministers as between one and two percent of abusers.

I have frequently referred to "less than one percent" in the case of the roman church because the frequency is less for them then for other religious groups . I have produced statistics supporting this also. That is why when you take religious in general the figure becomes about 1.5 percent.

if you take babysitters+teachers (and i deliberately exclude religious teachers and take non religious teachers here) +coach +other authority figure you get about 14.5 per cent of all abusers. so these four groups alone number more than fifteen times as many abusers as Catholic clerics!
    My contacts believe that we should look at church control and influence over schools and hospitals and other institutions in Ireland where they exercise(d) intolerable control and where they have been responsible for over 90% plus of reported child rapes.

Wrong! The above stats show you are wrong! Because there is such a focus on the church and because the clerics who abused had multiple victims there is a tendency for more reporting of abuse in schools or by religious. but the reported facts are there. Of the actual perporatrators less than one per cent are Catholic clergy and about one and a half percent are religious clergy. Published stats in table 4.11.
    That is the figure to keep in mind, 90% plus of child rapes in orphanages, schools and juvenile detention centres known as Industrial Schools, in Ireland.

Of the abuse REPORTED! the point is that
    1. not all this abise was done by clerics!
    2. Clerical abusers had multiple victims
    3. the non clerical abuse were not reported to the law but have been studied and the published research above shows 98.5 per cent of abusers were not clerics
    5% ?? Who are you trying to protect, father??

I'm not trying to protect anyone. I'm just showing you the facts. The published stats and pointing out that the media are focusing on less than one percent of abusers who were clergy. By all means prosecute them but dont claim that the other 99 per cent are worth forgetting. WE shouldn't "cover up" the 99 per cent of non clerical abusers either.

and where are you on this "father" nonsense? Are you claiming I'm biased or lying because I am a cleric? Ludicrous.

sorry friend, but you cannot take the spotlight away from the fact that ratty's secret letter to all bishops, world-wide, ordered them to cover up abuse cases and to effectively obstruct any local police investigations etc. So, yes, it was official church policy and still is.

Cite! What "secret letter" I assume you mean Ratzinger? What letter ? In waht capacity did he writ it? wher does it suggest he ordered them to cover up0 abuse or obstruct police investigations?

Evidence please?

Many people with a professional interest in priest and religious-commited sexual abuse and other sexual depravity perpetrated by religious on minors, believe that the incidence of sexual deviance towards minors of both sexes among priests and religious could be as high as eighteen to twenty-plus percent.

REally?
    and your references to these "many people" are?
    And you evidence that their belief is valid and reliable is?
    With an estimated 10% of general populations thought by researchers to have strong usually deeply repressed and thus psychologically damaging homosexual tendencies

Thought by WHAT researchers? Care to cite them?
    It has been postulated

By WHOM?
    that we are talking about more than thirty to thirty five percent ( 30 to 35%) of entrants having deviant sexual tendencies and perhaps fifteen plus percent having active deviant tendencies leading to sexual abuse patterns.

You can't just make up figures out of thin air and expect people to believe you are quoting proper researched stats can you?
    Many of us believe

Ther you go again "many of us believe" You can believe the Moon is made of cheese. wher is the evidence?
    from reported statements by Dr. Noel Browne

Which statements ? where are they? who reported them?
    The pattern was evident world-wide and the levels at bishop and cardinal levels

REally? so what evidence have you for this "evident" pattern?
    can only be guessed at by those of us not actively collaborating with them in the procurement and sexual abuse of children.

so your hard evidence consists of guessing. i'm guessing you are wrong and you haven't any hard evidence at all!
    I have no reliable statistics on this but to state that priests are as likely to abuse as any male in the population is not only absurd, it is absolute bosh and the writer knows this. They are very many times more dangerous to children than great white sharks.

I have posted you evidence (see? I have referred to statistics http://www.drcc.ie/about/savi.pdf see table 14.11)

which show about 1.5 percent of abusers are clerics. Of that the rates for Roman catholics are even lower!

The statistics are valid and reliable. the methodology is discussed beginning page xxxi.
    There are other reports as well to which I have referred which corroborate this statistic.

Those who seek an open investigation and public disclose of the facts, no matter what they are, are not anti-catholic.

so you accept Catholic priests are less than one percent of abusers and that is published and researched? do you think any discussion should happen about the other 99 per cent of abusers or do you think it should all be about catholic clergy?

Sweet catfish,
    , the facts re the orchestarated cover-ups that are still in force and were designed years ago by Ratty, ( Cardinal Ratzinger) as head of doctrine of the faith or "The Inquisition" if you like.
    All this blah blah babble will not confuse us, friend, it only serves to underscore how low these people are happy to go, to defend the indefensible.

Wher is your evidence that Ratzinger orchestrated a cover up?

frankly, all of this is shown to be wrong by the growing evidence, including the text of the infamous cover-up policy letter from ratty already quoted on this thread.

WHERE was it quoted? and how does it show a cover up?

You claim it was already referenced so care to show us where?
    And then care to show us a quote from that letter showing a cover up?
    Do you really think you can change reality by repeating nonsense often enough?

Do you? Hwe is the actual quote from the actual letter you claim?
    NY Times, can see in all it's terrible clarity, as with the secret letter from ratty, written in latin and never to be revealed, in the interests of the church, certainly not of the frightened, abused little children, huddled in corners, waiting for the priest to finish playing with their poor bodies and minds.
    Shame on anyone who seeks to defend by false and deliberately misleading spin-doctoring and downright lies.
    I say it clear, a child is safer with a shark or a lion than with a catholic priest.

I agree. so care to show the link to the NY times and the latin letter and I think I am competent enough in latin to translate it?

Do you refer to this:
    http://subcreators.com/blog/2010/04/10/once-more-unto-the-breach/
    Nevertheless, the NYT neglected to translate another letter with important facts in it. Here are the facts in order (which is more than you will get from the MSM).

Fr. Steven Kiesle, a young priest in the diocese of Oakland, had molested at least six young boys between the ages of eleven and thirteen. He was arrested in 1978, pleaded no contest and received a three-year suspended sentence. He requested laicization voluntarily in 1981.

Fr. Kiesle’s request for dispensation from priestly obligations and celibacy was one of many that would be pouring into the Holy See that year – a mass exodus from the priesthood had begun in the late 60’s and early 70’s. The petitioners ranged from those who wanted to leave the ministry to marry to those who wanted to join Marxist revolutionaries, become Buddhists or otherwise “find themselves.” (I have corrected this somewhat: see the update below). A priest who asked to be voluntarily released who was also a pedophile would be unusual. It’s not clear if that was the exact reason that Kiesle requested the dispensation. But the pastor and the bishop both agreed that he was an immature individual who had little taste for the ministry and never should have become a priest.

The request on Kiesle’s behalf went to the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which at that time handled these dispensations. It should be noted that it did not go there because Fr. Kiesle had committed sexual abuse of minors. The CDF did not gain control of such cases until 2001. It would have been treated simply as a laicization case.

Neither the AP nor the NYT article mentions the fact that the first letters sent by Fr. Kiesle’s pastor (April 25, 1981) and Bishop Cummins (May 8, 1981) were addressed not to Cardinal Ratzinger but to Franjo Cardinal Seper, Ratzinger’s predecessor as Prefect of the CDF. (1) Ratzinger did not take office until February 1982.

A reply came from Cardinal Seper on November 17, 1981. He requested more information, among other things asking the bishop “not to neglect to send together with the records your votum (vow, solemn statement) on not fearing scandal.” It is obvious from the way that this is put that this is a declaration that the bishop was required to make as part of canon law, and – note carefully – would be required for ALL requests for laicization. In it, the bishop declares that releasing this priest from his ministry and vow of celibacy would not create scandal. It doesn’t have anything to do with the fact that this particular case involved sexual abuse of a minor. It doesn’t necessarily mean that either Seper or Ratzinger feared scandal because such abuse was involved. Of course, neither the AP nor the New York Times thought to make this clear, probably because of a complete lack of understanding of canon law.

Bishop Cummins forwarded the information, and on February 1, 1982, wrote to the new Prefect, Cardinal Ratzinger with yet more details.

There was no reply from Ratzinger’s office. The bishop wrote again on September 24, 1982, and received a reply on October 21 saying that no further information could be given at that time.

Now (though neither the Times nor the AP mentions this) there is a three-year gap with no communications from the diocese of Oakland to the CDF; on September 13, 1985, Bishop Cummins again writes to Ratzinger (and mentions that his last communication was in September 1982). This time he got a more detailed reply. The fact that he received a reply may be due to the fact that unlike the previous times he actually forwarded it to the Apostolic Nuncio to the U.S. to be put in his diplomatic pouch. These letters would be more likely to be considered than the general flood of mail in the offices of the CDF.

http://insightscoop.typepad.com/2004/2010/04/lets-get-the-story-straight-defrocking-and-divorce-fr-joseph-fessio-sj.html

They repeated this lie, although the story had already been exploded by the bishop who succeeded Moreno, Gerald Kicanas.
    http://azstarnet.com/news/local/article_80cdd198-3d24-11df-8711-001cc4c002e0.html

NOTES

(1) Two of the internal memos from the Oakland diocese say that Ratzinger wrote the November 17, 1981 letter, but this is obviously incorrect, and must be due to a failure of memory on the part of the bishop. The letter has Seper’s signature on it.

(2) The AP mistranslated this as “these incidents,” evidently trying to make it sound as the Pope were referring to sexual abuse, where it is clear that it is referring to the petitioner’s request for dispensation from his vows.

Of course it has not changed.
    ratty's formerly secret letter is still official policy.

WHAT secret letter? Cite it!
    They still refuse to fire the Irish Bishops who managed the coevr-ups.

Point of information.
    Bishops or priests can't be fired. holy orders are for life. they can be liaised but that just means removing their office not removing their Holy orders.
    ratty still refuses to resign himself, as the chief architect and enforcer, for many years, of the official church cover-up.

and the evidence for you repeated unsupported opinion is?
    The people who come on here telling it differently are spinning a lot of gobblydy gook for whatever reason.

Surprise surprise more unsupported opinion. I supply actual referenced published material.

• Advertisement

Jonny7 wrote: »
    I really don't know where to start with this paragraph..

Priests and the Catholic church have spent much of their entire existence, over hundreds of years, studying, debating morals.. whats right and wrong..

Yet a small child can tell you that a man having sex with a kid is very very wrong..

so can a theologian.
    At what point in the seventies/eighties did the Catholic church suddenly become a little hazy about this?

So the Byzantine empire had nothing to do with the Church according to you?
    http://rumkatkilise.org/rayabyzantium.htm#cooliris
    Byzantine culture and Orthodoxy are one and the same. All these peoples
    became in fact Orthodox.

Now what had they to say?:

Child sexual abuse: historical cases in the Byzantine Empire (324-1453 A.D.)
    John Lascaratos and Effie Poulakou-Rebelakou
    a Department of the History of Medicine, Medical School, National Athens
    University and International Hippocratic Foundation of Kos., Athens, Greece
    b International Hippocratic Foundation of Kos., Athens, Greece
    Received 13 October 1999; revised 13 October 1999; accepted 4 December 1999.
    Available online 7 July 2000.

Conclusion: The research of original Byzantine literature disclosed many
    instances of child sexual abuse in all social classes even in the mediaeval
    Byzantine society which was characterized by strict legal and religious
    prohibitions.

Reid, Charles J., "The Rights of Children in Medieval Canon Law" (2007). U
    of St. Thomas Legal Studies Research Paper No. 07-34

Kuefler, Mathew
    Love, Marriage, and Family in the Middle Ages: A Reader, and: Love, Sex and
    Marriage in the Middle Ages: A Sourcebook (review)
    The Catholic Historical Review - Volume 90, Number 4, October 2004, pp.
    743-746

The Canon Law On the Formation of Marriage and Social Practice in the Later
    Middle...
    Donahue Journal of Family History.1983; 8: 144-158

In fact when the Greek and Western Roman empire was acceptable of such things there are church rules going back to the third or fourth century against sex with children.

To my knowledge of several places worldwide clergy (well stats in the Roman
    Catholic Church anyway which is being discussed above. Protestant and Jewish
    clergy may have different stats but little on child abuse is conclusive but
    in any case abiove is Roman catholic so let us stay with that shall we?)
    constitute one or two per cent of abusers. the above if true however shows
    that clergy are either owning up or being singled out since of 1000 abusers
    TEN are clergy but 990 are non clergy. If there is a four to one ratio of
    conviction that means say you convict EIGHT of the ten clergy then you also
    convict TWO of the 990 non clergy!

According to a survey by the Washington Post, over the last four decades,
    less than 1.5 percent of the estimated 60,000 or more men who have served in
    the Catholic clergy have been accused of child sexual abuse.
    Alan Cooperman, "Hundreds of Priests Removed Since '60s; Survey Shows Scope
    Wider Than Disclosed," Washington Post, June 9, 2002, p. A1.

According to a survey by the New York Times, 1.8 percent of all priests
    ordained from 1950 to 2001 have been accused of child sexual abuse.
    Laurie Goodstein, "Decades of Damage; Trail of Pain in Church Crisis Leads
    to Nearly Every Diocese," New York Times, January 12, 2003, Section 1, p. 1.

Thomas Kane, author of Priests are People Too, estimates that between 1 and
    1.5 percent of priests have had charges made against them.
    Interviewed by Bill O'Reilly, Transcript of "The O'Reilly Factor," May 3,

Of contemporary priests, the Associated Press found that approximately
    two-thirds of 1 percent of priests have charges pending against them.
    Bob von Sternberg, "Insurance Falls Short in Church Abuse Cases; Catholic
    Dioceses are Forced to Find other Sources to Pay Settlements," Star Tribune,
    July 27, 2002, p. 1A.

Almost all the priests who abuse children are homosexuals. Dr. Thomas
    Plante, a psychologist at Santa Clara University, found that "80 to 90% of
    all priests who in fact abuse minors have sexually engaged with adolescent
    boys, not prepubescent children. Thus, the teenager is more at risk than
    the young altar boy or girls of any age.
    Thomas Plante, "A Perspective on Clergy Sexual Abuse,"
    www.psywww.com/psyrelig/plante.html.

In fact the stats are HIGHER for Jews and Protestants but that again is a
    DIFFERENT topic!

The data on the Protestant clergy tend to focus on sexual abuse in general,
    not on sexual abuse of children. Thus, strict comparisons cannot always be
    made. But there are some comparative data available on the subject of child
    sexual molestation, and what has been reported is quite revealing.

In the spring of 2002, when the sexual abuse scandal in the Catholic Church
    was receiving unprecedented attention, the Christian Science Monitor
    reported on the results of national surveys by Christian Ministry Resources.
    The conclusion: "Despite headlines focusing on the priest pedophile problem
    in the Roman Catholic Church, most American churches being hit with child
    sexual-abuse allegations are Protestant, and most of the alleged abusers are
    not clergy or staff, but church volunteers."
    Mark Clayton, "Sex Abuse Spans Spectrum of Churches," Christian Science
    Monitor, April 5, 2002, p. 1

In the authoritative work by Penn State professor Philip Jenkins, Pedophiles
    and Priests, it was determined that between .2 and 1.7 percent of priests
    are pedophiles. The figure among the Protestant clergy ranges between 2 and
    3 percent.
    Philip Jenkins, Pedophiles and Priests (New York: Oxford University Press),
    pp. 50 and 81.

Rabbi Arthur Gross Schaefer is a professor of law and ethics at Loyola
    Marymount University. It is his belief that sexual abuse among rabbis
    approximates that found among the Protestant clergy. According to one
    study, 73 percent of women rabbis report instances of sexual harassment.
    "Sadly," Rabbi Schaefer concludes, "our community's reactions up to this
    point have been often based on keeping things quiet in an attempt to do
    'damage control.' Fear of lawsuits and bad publicity have dictated an
    atmosphere of hushed voices and outrage against those who dare to break
    ranks by speaking out."
    Rabbi Arthur Gross Schaefer, "Rabbi Sexual Misconduct: Crying Out for a
    Communal Response," www.rrc.edu/journal, November 24, 2003.

A review in 2006 of child pornography laws in 184 countries by the
    International Centre for Missing & Exploited Children (ICMEC) and other
    organizations including software giant Microsoft shows that more than half
    have no laws that address child pornography
    ^ "Child Pornography Not a Crime in Most Countries" (pdf). International
    Centre for Missing & Exploited Children. 2006.
    http://www.icmec.org/en_X1/pdf/SummerNewsletter2006formatted.pdf.

Reference 62 in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_pornography#cite_note-61

of course I can believe and say what I want to and still be mainstream

According to YOUR definition! According to the definition i supplied you can't
    Mainstream of of Christianity is defined by what mainstream of people think not by some power-hungry hierarchy, theologians or wikipedia.

i offered what I mean by mainstream., what i mean is subscribing to the beliefs of Catholics. Roman Orthodox Anglican make up the vast bulk of them but I have listed the others as well. they constitute about 90 percent of all the people claiming to be christian.

They are dogmatic. You can't claim to believe as you like and also claim to be mainstream by the definition I offered for this discussion!
    Christianity is people's religion. Belonging culturally to a group or another doens't mean they agree the way the clergy of that group preach. If you think it does - maybe you should go more out.

Dogma is no more socially negotiated than the existence of atoms or the Chemical elements. You nmay go out and say "Carbon does not exist" if you wish. You will not be expressing a scientific opinion if you do. similarly if you say "jesus was not god" or "God dIdn't exiost" you are not a mainstream CHRISTIAN. You cant just make it up.
    But I am glad we are having this discussion in this abuse thread cos isn't this exacly what the hierarchies have tried for ages - abuse us to their interpretion and call us names. Seems you have learned a lot from them.

I am not calling you names. I am offering a definition. If I define "manchester Supporter" as someone wanting Manchester to win and you come along and say you hope Chelsea will win the league but you are still a "manchester supporter" then you are not according to my definition!

ISAW wrote: »
    I'm not trying to protect anyone. I'm just showing you the facts. The published stats and pointing out that the media are focusing on less than one percent of abusers who were clergy. By all means prosecute them but dont claim that the other 99 per cent are worth forgetting. WE shouldn't "cover up" the 99 per cent of non clerical abusers either.

The media are not focusing on 1% of abusers. They are focusing on the evidence of cover-up by the senior hierarchy of the RCC. They facilitated decades of abuse through in-action, deceit, or cover-up. The media have a duty to investigate and report.

Also, and unfortunately, there are many reports of abuse reported in the papers each day committed by non clerical members. Do you not read the court reports? This is far from being covered-up as you stated.

The media are not focusing on 1% of abusers.

one per cent of abusers are clergy.

how many stories are about clergy and how many about the other 99 per cent of abusers non clergy?
    They are focusing on the evidence of cover-up by the senior hierarchy of the RCC.

WHAT evidence? when? In 1970? Or in 2007?

the point is if society in Ireland covered up things in the past (and the church was a major part of that society) then surely the rest of the non church society should also be mentioned?

Yes there are stories about non clerical abuse but what percentage of stories?
    They facilitated decades of abuse through in-action, deceit, or cover-up. The media have a duty to investigate and report.

Indeed buit don;t they have a duty to ask why a tiny proportion the other 99 percent of abusers who were not clerics and were not church related were not tried and convicted as well?
    Also, and unfortunately, there are many reports of abuse reported in the papers each day committed by non clerical members.

Given ther are 999 non clerical abusers for every clerical abuser would you not think there should be say about 50 reports about non clerics for every one about the church? But just claiming it doesn't make it true! Convince nme about these reports with some evidence?
    Do you not read the court reports? This is far from being covered-up as you stated.

Okay direct me to court reports and we will see how many of them are reported on and widely covered and how many column inches were devoted to clerics

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Cite! What "secret letter" I assume you mean Ratzinger? What letter ? In waht capacity did he writ it? wher does it suggest he ordered them to cover up0 abuse or obstruct police investigations?

Evidence please?

Possibly he means the one referenced in this story

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2005/apr/24/children.childprotection

Taken in conjunction with this other letter

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/17/AR2010041702066.html

it doesn't put them in a very good light.

how many stories are about clergy and how many about the other 99 per cent of abusers non clergy?

As I said previously, the media do regularly report (unfortunately) the abuse of people committed by non clergy. The court report pages often contain very sad cases which are reported and you call that a cover-up?

60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s......

Have a good look at the various commissioned reports, legal actions taken against abuse victims by the church, and leaked letters.

Even the pope has apologised for the gross failings and cover-up committed by the church in Ireland with these matters. (while disassociating Rome)
    the point is if society in Ireland covered up things in the past (and the church was a major part of that society) then surely the rest of the non church society should also be mentioned?

Society at the time was controlled by the Iron rule of the RCC. Also the failures of other organisations and the Government have been published in the various commissioned reports and media. It's just that the RCC still deny the extent of this or continue to fight victims in court. That's what's being reported.
    Yes there are stories about non clerical abuse but what percentage of stories?

It's a sad fact that the court pages are regularly full of stories regarding non clerical abuse. The vast majority of them are non clerical abuse.

In regards to the RCC, the media are reporting allegations of cover-up by the hierarchy. That's a complete different issue to abuse. It's their duty to report cover-ups, be it church or state.

As I said previously, the media do regularly report (unfortunately) the abuse of people committed by non clergy. The court report pages often contain very sad cases which are reported and you call that a cover-up?

Have a good look at the various commissioned reports, legal actions taken against abuse victims by the church, and leaked letters.

Even the pope has apologised for the gross failings and cover-up committed by the church in Ireland with these matters. (while disassociating Rome)

Society at the time was controlled by the Iron rule of the RCC. Also the failures of other organisations and the Government have been published in the various commissioned reports and media. It's just that the RCC still deny the extent of this or continue to fight victims in court. That's what's being reported.
    Indeed buit don;t they have a duty to ask why a tiny proportion the other 99 percent of abusers who were not clerics and were not church related were not tried and convicted as well?

Non clergy WERE convicted. And as I said many times they are reporting on the RCC due to the fact as an organisation, through in-action, cover-up or deceit, they facilitated decades of abuse.

Given ther are 999 non clerical abusers for every clerical abuser would you not think there should be say about 50 reports about non clerics for every one about the church? But just claiming it doesn't make it true! Convince nme about these reports with some evidence?

Ahem....

And as I said many times they are reporting on the RCC due to the fact as an organisation, through in-action, cover-up or deceit, they facilitated decades of abuse.

In regards to the RCC, the media are reporting allegations of cover-up by the hierarchy. That's a complete different issue to abuse. It's their duty to report cover-ups, be it church or state.
    Okay direct me to court reports and we will see how many of them are reported on and widely covered and how many column inches were devoted to clerics

The vast majority of court reports are non clergy. The media are reporting on the separate issue of cover-up.

Copy n Paste...

And as I said many times they are reporting on the RCC due to the fact as an organisation, through in-action, cover-up or deceit, they facilitated decades of abuse.

As I said previously, the media do regularly

How regularly?
    report (unfortunately) the abuse of people committed by non clergy. The court report pages often contain very sad cases which are reported and you call that a cover-up?
    "often" like "regularly" is also a relative term.
    How often? Produce some actual hard data. how many column inches and on what pages? As compared to how many stories about clergy?
    My contention is that there is way more coverage of clerics, roman Catholics in particular, considering there are 99 times as many non clerics. given also that the rate is higher for Protestant or non Christians. how come you don't many of these? clearly the idea is that the Roman Catholics are a powerful organisation and the anti catholic bias in column inches manifests based on this attitude.

Numbners of detections reportings and convictions ion those decades. cite cite cite cite cite?

how many Catholic priests charged and convicted in the 60s 70s 80 s 90s 00s and how many non clerics?

The Church has some responsibility to bear yes. but if 99 per cent of abusers were not clerics then the responsibility is hardly all the Churches to bear is it?
    Society at the time was controlled by the Iron rule of the RCC.
    No it wasn't! In the 30s 40 and 50s maybe but as the 60s came in it began to wane. In the 70s the "special place" of the Catholic Church was removed from the constitution. through the 80 wittnessed the introduction of contraception divorce etc. You just cant claim the church had an Iron hand over all society then.

nor did hte church run the Gardai, Army, governmnet etc. If Gardai didn't investigate sex criome you cant claim it was the churches fault. furthermore how is it that people say that priests such as Brady who is notw a Cardinal were irresponsille and should have gone and reported people to the Gardai for child abuse and then also say that the Gardai would not act because the Bishops had an "iron hand"?
    Also the failures of other organisations and the Government have been published in the various commissioned reports and media.

Yes i have pointed that out. But the media isnt devoting much space to the other 99 per cent.
    It's just that the RCC still deny the extent of this or continue to fight victims in court. That's what's being reported.

what is being reported is twisted spin and lies. for example the NY times published that the current Pope told a bishop in a letter to "cover up" an abuse case when Ratzinger was clearly sending a form letter about laisisation!
    It's a sad fact that the court pages are regularly full of stories regarding non clerical abuse. The vast majority of them are non clerical abuse.

"vast majority" ? so you have stats then? what would that be? how many reports? What vast percentage of media coverage is about non clerical abuse 80 per cent? 90?
    In regards to the RCC, the media are reporting allegations of cover-up by the hierarchy.

no they are not they are making up allegations! The NY times article is a good example of that!
    That's a complete different issue to abuse. It's their duty to report cover-ups, be it church or state.

Exactly! Because child abuse is such a henious crime they focus in the one per cent of abusers in order to have a go at the Church. not that the Church or anyone who conceals a child abuse should not be brought up. the point i am saying is why don't the media ask about the society that produced the other 99 per cent of non clerical abusers?

No i don't deny non clerical abuse is reported. In fact I think I have posted the stats of four times as many non clerical abusers are convicted. But if four tims as many are convicted 99 times as meany offended. This means for 1000 offenders if ten of them ( one percent) are clergy and say five of then are convicted then there are five clerics who are not convicted but there are also 970 non clerical offenders at large. But rather then report the 970 offenders at large the media focus on the five possible priests and whoever knew then for the last 40 years. What about who the other 970 worked with? who were their bosses? Did "friends" cover up for them?

i have . The "leaked letter" of Ratzinger is a non story! But many are happy to believe it. I saw the same with "WMD" and "possible mushroom clouds" and "saddam has chemicals"
    I dint believe it then either. that does not mean I supported Saddam.

The Pope apologised to the Jews as well. Was the WWII Holocaust all the Churches fault?
    While the church could have done more for the Jews might the society in Germany ( wher Catholics didn't vote for Hitler) not have some responsibility?

As maybe they did in WWII? Was the RCC responsible for the Holocaust though?

Why not report on who covered up the other 99 per cent of abusers as well then?
    No whipping boy there for the media is there?
    The vast majority of court reports are non clergy. The media are reporting on the separate issue of cover-up.

Vast majority = ?

any numbers or do you just make them up?

few people read the court repost page. Clerics and Cardinals are on page 1.

and the non reporters of the other 99 percent of abusers didn't?

Or invent them when they cant get a story?

How regularly?

"often" like "regularly" is also a relative term.
    How often? Produce some actual hard data. how many column inches and on what pages? As compared to how many stories about clergy?.....................

Obviously you have a very narrow view of what's going on around you and haven't noticed that stories of abuse committed by non clergy are reported almost daily in the broadsheets and tabloids. It's sad but true.

The top news item only yesterday on most irish news websites was the current case of a woman who accuses her father of abuse years ago. This has continued into most newspapers and not just in the court sections.

Please get this point. The media are reporting the decades of systematic cover-up, deceit or denial of abuse committed by top levels of an organisation than commits to define moral standards. The RCC continue to fight victims in court and all of this is news worthy.

Even today the Pope is expected to accept the resignation of Bishop Moriarty after he admitted last December that he had not challenged the Dublin archdioceses' past practice of concealing child abuse complaints from authorities. Should this not be reported today?

The Pope has also promised to crackdown on abuse. These are welcome steps. Should this not be reported today? Would the Holy See be taking these steps if it wasn't for the Press investigating and reporting these matters?

Obviously you have a very narrow view of what's going on around you and haven't noticed that stories of abuse committed by non clergy are reported almost daily in the broadsheets and tabloids. It's sad but true.

Care to list say three newspapers. We will look at them for a week and see how much space is devoted to clerical abuse related stories and how much to non clerical abuse. In spite of there being 99 times as many non clerical abusers even if there is equal space devoted to non clerical abuse ( which is still a ratio of fifty to one times less) I will be amazed! Care to prove me wrong?

Your "sad but true" comment is about as believable to me as "Saddam has WMD it is sad but true". and i say this as someone who has studied media and who has published in academic and scientific (and NOT religious) publications! go any look at actual facts and don't let your opinion be formed by opinion pieces in the media. don't even accept my opinion (which I hardly ever state by the way) go and do some research. I happy to help you.

her is todays irish times:
    http://irishtimes.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

Front page home news on Vatican and the Resignation of a Bishiop on the child abuse issue. Link given to page 9.

The also link to 3 other stories:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0422/breaking20.html

ALL are to do with clerical abuse.

In depth news contains a special report on The Popes Pastoral Letter
    http://www.irishtimes.com/indepth/

no reports on non clerical abuse
    The top news item only yesterday on most irish news websites was the current case of a woman who accuses her father of abuse years ago. This has continued into most newspapers and not just in the court sections.

Not in today's Irish times it seems. Tell us about the case
    Please get this point. The media are reporting the decades of systematic cover-up, deceit or denial of abuse committed by top levels of an organisation than commits to define moral standards. The RCC continue to fight victims in court and all of this is news worthy.

I accept the media have a role in this. so do the church . But both must act responsibly and not make up stories or lie.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_sex_abuse_cases
    For example, on March 24, 2010, a report by the New York Times cited the Fr. Murphy case to accuse Pope Benedict XVI of a cover-up while he was head of the CDF in 1996.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/25/world/europe/25vatican.html

The Canonical Judge in the Murphy trial, Fr. Thomas Brundage, JCL, wrote an article trying to clear up some of the facts in the case, "...my name and comments in the matter of the Father Murphy case have been liberally and often inaccurately quoted in the New York Times and in more than 100 other newspapers and on-line periodicals... The fact that I presided over this trial and have never once been contacted by any news organization for comment speaks for itself... Pope Benedict XVI has done more than any other pope or bishop in history to rid the Catholic Church of the scourge of child sexual abuse and provide for those who have been injured...on the day that Father Murphy died, he was still the defendant in a church criminal trial."http://catholicanchor.org/wordpress/?p=601
    In April 2010, there were reports of a letter signed by Cardinal Ratzinger in 1985, in which he allegedly dismissed a request to laicize a Father Stephen Kiesle, a California priest accused of molesting boys. The Vatican responded that "...the letter followed a request from the priest himself for laicization, supported by the bishop. As such it was not a punishment, or part of a canonical process or the civil trial. At this stage, Father Kiesle was already dismissed from pastoral duties during the investigation, and he had no contact with any parishioners or children.

Even today the Pope is expected to accept the resignation of Bishop Moriarty after he admitted last December that he had not challenged the Dublin archdioceses' past practice of concealing child abuse complaints from authorities. Should this not be reported today?

It should be reported by if a Bishop or the Cardinal resigns that does not make them guilty of a crime as posters to this forum suggest.
    The Pope has also promised to crackdown on abuse.

It isn't his palce to propose this! His responsibility is to the church. He sould not really be proposing wording for laws in any state to deal with child abuse. He is directly responsible for systems which will eliminate the one percent of clerical abuse but, while he should assist and instruct clergy to assist civil state organisations iit is a bit of a "division of powers" senario and the Pope should not be "sitting in on " how goivernments deal with the other 99 per cent of non church abuse. The church would have a role in assisting or guiding this however.
    These are welcome steps. Should this not be reported today? Would the Holy See be taking these steps if it wasn't for the Press investigating and reporting these matters?

Now that is a very interesting question and goes to the heart of the matter. Maybe 30 years ago in Ireland the answer would be "no". Maybe trade Unions or the media had more central places in social change. today it is somewhat different I would argue, although a lot of people are still influenced by opinion from newspapers TV and radio. By the same token the are also less influenced by the "authority" of the church in non church matters.
    Mind you the church is still heavily involved in non direct religious matters. Every oparish has about a hunderd groups supporting the poor , aged, handicapped, children, family marriage and drug councilling, providing coffee shops etc. Most are funded by the Church. Just like the hospitals had nuns scrubbing the floors for free and the schools had brothers teaching for free. Yes i am aware there were other abuse problems but that doesnt change the contribution make by the 99 or so percent of non abusing clergy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Piano man

Hi,

I haven't read through all 58 pages of this thread, so I don't know if anyone has given the facts about the Pope's involvement yet, but I have noticed a lot of posts condemning the Pope based on information people have picked up in the largely biased media.
    Here are the facts anyway, showing that he has no culpability in any abuse cases, and in fact has done more than any other Pope in history to combat child abuse.
    http://www.xt3.com/smallprint/media.php

God bless:)

Advertisement