Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Baby on Board

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

omega man wrote: »
    Wow thats some logic. This is the usual tripe that gets posted here when this topic is 'discussed'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_on_Board

The article states first of all that it was brought back from Germany which would back up what others have said about its main purpose and then goes on to point out the sign is now viewed as a joke, which would back up what others have said. Do you actually have a argument to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

viper123 wrote: »
    No driving like an idiot is driving like an idiot. Having a kid projectile vomit across the back seat of your car could be considered a 'distraction'...
    And driving with a trailer full of animals rerquires the same amount of care from the driver.
    Just because you see a car with a trailer (or COB sign) doesn't give them cart blanche to do what ever they like on the road.
    If you can't drive with a child in the car, don't drive with a child in the car.
    Whatever the sign means anyway, regardless, it certainly does not mean you can do what you like and everyone else has to "keep a wide birth".
    ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Baby on board sticker in the back window.....

It could be worse!!:D

mpscrechey.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

ocokev wrote: »
    A agree partically, but I think the driver has to be more responsible when driving. If you have a child in the back who is disturbing or needs attention you slow down or pull over and deal with the problem, dont affect other people driving while you try to tend to your child and driving at 120kpm.

Something tells me you don't have any kids if you think that pulling over every time a kid screams or farts is viable.

As the wikipedia article says, they are to deter tailgating and I can tell you it doesn't work. Tailgaters should remember that it is only through the endurance and charity of the people they tailgate, that they don't end up in an accident, as there is nobody who, when tailgating 10 ft behind another car at 100 kph, could react quickly enough to avoid an accident if the person decided to teach them a lesson.

Why would a sign in the back of a car, which is designed to encourage good driving, annoy someone. NAMA and the Anglo debacle must drive you nuts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Chipboard wrote: »
    Something tells me you don't have any kids if you think that pulling over every time a kid screams or farts is viable.

Actually I do have a kid, who like most other kids at 2 throws the odd tantrum, I dont have a Baby on Board sign displayed because I would rather be responsible for my own actions and give my driving upmost attention. The other day I pulled over cos she was screaming, got her settled and drove on, problem solved. I dont be trying to look back rooting for her dummy under the passanger seat while doing 120kpm.
    There is a woman who lives in our town,seen her several times, chin on steering wheel,car full of kids, BOB sign, tailgates Really close,then gets to the dual carriage way and pulls out straight away into the fast lane. On the way home once while in the fast lane jammed on brakes, went over 2 lanes of traffic and onto the slip home at the last second, no indicators on the roundabout, Baby on Board sign. So my point is if you have one of these signs up why drive like a lunitic and endanger everyone else including other people with Baby on Boards signs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

There is a woman who lives in our town,seen her several times, tailgates then gets to the dual carriage way and pulls out straight away into the fast lane. On the way home once while in the fast lane jammed on brakes, went ober 2 lanes of traffic and onto the slip home at the last second, no indicators on the roundabout, Baby on Board sign. .

Well that says it all doesn't it?????

Fast lane, whats that? The all mighty anti sign on your car brigade obviously learnt a different set of rules of the road than the rest of us!

That would be an Epic Fail!:rolleyes:

For the sake of your child I'd be butting up a large sign on your car that says "Does not know the Rules of the road"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Chipboard wrote: »

As the wikipedia article says, they are to deter tailgating and I can tell you it doesn't work. Tailgaters should remember that it is only through the endurance and charity of the people they tailgate, that they don't end up in an accident, as there is nobody who, when tailgating 10 ft behind another car at 100 kph, could react quickly enough to avoid an accident if the person decided to teach them a lesson.

Why would a sign in the back of a car, which is designed to encourage good driving, annoy someone. NAMA and the Anglo debacle must drive you nuts!!

This doesn't make sense to me.

As another poster alluded to, is the life of a child supposed to have higher value than that of an adults?

People shouldn't tail gate anyway but I doubt a sign will make much difference.

Also, "teaching someone a lesson" is just as dangerous as tailgating itself.

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Well that says it all doesn't it?????

Fast lane, whats that? The all mighty anti sign on your car brigade obviously learnt a different set of rules of the road than the rest of us!

That would be an Epic Fail!:rolleyes:

For the sake of your child I'd be butting up a large sign on your car that says "Does not know the Rules of the road"

Sorry perfect person.
    Fast lane is the overtaking lane in this case.

Thanks for your advise.

Some pointers for your writing skills below.

"Whats that" should be "what's that".
    "I'd be butting" should be "I'd be putting".
    You dont use capital letters in the middle of a sentence
    "Does not know the Rules of the road".

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Seriously folks, Why does it bother you so much? In fact, the amount of people that have noticed them suggests to me that they are more easily distracted than the parent with the screaming kid in the back. If you can get so worked up about them on here I can only imagine what you are like in your car when you see them. To me, bumper stickers, nodding dogs, baby on board signs and even learner driver stickers should be ignored. Because at the end of the day the safest thing to do is assume that the driver of every single car you meet/pass is a total moron who could do anything at any moment.....

Sorry perfect person.
    Fast lane is the overtaking lane in this case.

Thanks for your advise.

Some pointers for your writing skills below.

"Whats that" should be "what's that".
    "I'd be butting" should be "I'd be putting".
    You dont use capital letters in the middle of a sentence
    "Does not know the Rules of the road".

Dont worry about my spelling and get your nose into the "Rules of the Road", you shouldn't be on the road if you dont know the designation of road lanes.

My spelling wont affect my driving! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Thanks for your advise.

Should be: Thank's for your advice :p

Just so were on the same page!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Iv noticed for a while now that alot of cars passing me out at speed and generally driving dangerouslly have a Baby on Board sticker on the back.
    Surly having better driving habits themselves will be better for the safety of the child.
    Why bother putting this sticker on your car anyway, it like saying OAP on board or Twenty something on board?

I was on the M9 two weeks back and I overtook a Ford, seconds later it then overtook me again and slowed down (makes no sense), so I overtook it again...after awhile it sped up again to catch up with me and then overtook me again I sped off.

All this time a child (looked about 5-7) was in the back seat without any seat belt (I could tell because he was moving about the car)

Dont worry about my spelling and get your nose into the "Rules of the Road", you shouldn't be on the road if you dont know the designation of road lanes.

My spelling wont affect my driving! :rolleyes:

Common terminology has never affected my driving either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Thanks for your advise.
    Should be: Thank's for your advice :p

Just so were on the same page!
    Probably best to close this particular line of discussion now. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Come on now lads, neither of you is coming across as very grown-up. Try to make your points without descending to the level of mud-slinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭whippet

I wouldn't let my wife put one of these signs on the window when we had our nipper, I just can't stand anything at all on the windows of the car, not even air fresheners. Even my sat-nav is located on a dash mount as opposed to the window. Anything that blocks any potential visability is a no-no in my book. Not even a jacket on the parcel shelf.

I could see the benifet for emergency services, but I am sure a black out sun screen on the back window along with a big baby seat should be indication enough that there is a child on board.

I am sure that the emergency services are well trained enough to immediatly assess any vehicle to see how many occupants there are, regardless of stickers or signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Just my 2 cents.

It annoys mean as some people that use it use it to encourage better driving in the vicinity of their car because a child is on board.

However, shouldn't I and everyone else always be driving as safely as possible, regardless of who the occupants of nearby cars are?

I'm not going to just drive like a nut-case when no kids are around :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Baby on board? Oh, ok. I'll go ram that other car instead.

Advertisement