Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Baby on Board

Options
  • 15-04-2010 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭

Iv noticed for a while now that alot of cars passing me out at speed and generally driving dangerouslly have a Baby on Board sticker on the back.
    Surly having better driving habits themselves will be better for the safety of the child.
    Why bother putting this sticker on your car anyway, it like saying OAP on board or Twenty something on board?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

This has been done to death. The sticker is supposed to be used to indicate to the emergency services that there was a child in the car in the event of an accident. However many people leave them on the window all the time, even if there's no child in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i always thought those stickers were so rescue services knew there was a child on board after an accident, they shouldnt be in the window if there is no child.
    bit like compressed gas cylinder signs are magnetic its illegal to not have it on your car if there is bottles in the car and vica versa (i know too many divers)

it does annoy me that somehow i'm supposed to drive better if they have that in their car, a lot of them should start with their own driving

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

Jip wrote: »
    This has been done to death. The sticker is supposed to be used to indicate to the emergency services that there was a child in the car in the event of an accident. However many people leave them on the window all the time, even if there's no child in the car.

i never knew that :eek: very interesting.
    but obviously misused by most.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭cowhands

Paulyh wrote: »
    i never knew that :eek: very interesting.
    but obviously misused by most.

I never knew that either. I always thought it was to tell other motorist that there is a child in the car and not to park too close as to inhibit getting a buggy in and out of the boot or a car seat from the rear- D'oh

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Silver Opel Zafira passed me this morning on Limerick SRR and they had one of those in their back window doing about 95mph!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

They're only stickers, not speed limiters :)

I doubt very much that that majority of people who use the baby on board signs have any idea about their use for the benefit of emergency services. I think most do it as for some reason they expect people to decide not to crash into them just because of having a baby on board.

Those stickers really annoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think most do it as for some reason they expect people to want to crash into them less because of having a baby on board.
    Might be a better idea to have the stickers on the front of their cars, given that they're more likely to crash into me than vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

cowhands wrote: »
    I never knew that either. I always thought it was to tell other motorist that there is a child in the car and not to park too close as to inhibit getting a buggy in and out of the boot or a car seat from the rear- D'oh
    I assumed it meant, "Keep your distance cos if you crash into the back of me, you'll kill my child".

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Not sure about their actual purpose but I can tell you this the only reason I put one up was because the mother in-law bought one when the nipper came along. And I dare not cross the mother in-law :D (at least for 6 months, tis well gone now)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I tend to assume that the drivers of cars with those stickers on them will be distracted by the child in the car so will be careless/bad drivers so I hang back

So it seems the sticker works well for both of us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Homer

As I don't have children I'm not familiar with these signs you speak of?

How would you stick this on the back of your car??

6aa_baby_on_board.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

I'd like to suggest that most of you are incorrect as to the meaning of the sign, to me (and to all I know who have the sign in their car) it suggests that there is a driver in the car who is likely to be distracted by a child so a little extra care is required on your part in case they do something unexpected?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

viper123 wrote: »
    I'd like to suggest that most of you are incorrect as to the meaning of the sign, to me (and to all I know who have the sign in their car) it suggests that there is a driver in the car who is likely to be distracted by a child so a little extra care is required on your part in case they do something unexpected?

I would tend to agree with this, very well said, I think people should take this onboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Melodeon

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    I would tend to agree with this, very well said, I think people should take this onboard.
    Agreed.
    These days, those signs are an excellent early-warning indicator of an erratic and unpredictable driver, best given a wide berth during their random meanderings.

I seem to recollect that they originated in Germany as a way of informing the emergency services of the presence of a child in the aftermath of an autobahn crash. This purpose has long since been superseded (here in Ireland, at least) by the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

A agree partically, but I think the driver has to be more responsible when driving. If you have a child in the back who is disturbing or needs attention you slow down or pull over and deal with the problem, dont affect other people driving while you try to tend to your child and driving at 120kpm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

So it's like a license to drive like an idiot? I should have to somehow magically increase my awareness because someone else chooses to continue to drive, even though a child is causing a ruckus in the car? Yep, that makes sense alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    So it's like a license to drive like an idiot? I should have to somehow magically increase my awareness because someone else chooses to continue to drive, even though a child is causing a ruckus in the car? Yep, that makes sense alright.

Much the same as a person with drink on them could stick a Drink Driver On Board sticker to let other people know they might do something erratic. Very considerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Not a big fan of those stickers myself, well not a big fan of any car stickers as it dimishes visibility. Especially on the smaller cars!

danmanw8 wrote: »
    Not a big fan of those stickers myself, well not a big fan of any car stickers as it dimishes visibility. Especially on the smaller cars!

Small cars appear to be the main culprit for such stickers. The baby on board sticker is often accompanied by a "babe on board" sticker or other such stupidity :rolleyes: (with the driver being anything but).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

ocokev wrote: »
    Much the same as a person with drink on them could stick a Drink Driver On Board sticker to let other people know they might do something erratic. Very considerate.

Indeed, or "Bengal tiger on board". The tiger in the car, may distract me, so everyone else just be careful, I might swerve a bit if he's attempting to claw my face off while I drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Indeed, or "Bengal tiger on board". The tiger in the car, may distract me, so everyone else just be careful, I might swerve a bit if he's attempting to claw my face off while I drive.

This is getting stupid now, people put up these signs out of consideration for other road users. So why dont you take it in the spirit it was intended instead of being an idiot about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

This is getting stupid now, people put up these signs out of consideration for other road users. So why dont you take it in the spirit it was intended instead of being an idiot about it!

How is it out of consideration for other road users?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

no they put them up because they are mistakenly under the impression that their kids are somehow more important than anyone else on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

So why dont you take it in the spirit it was intended instead of being an idiot about it!
    Make your point without resorting to personal insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭omega man

no they put them up because they are mistakenly under the impression that their kids are somehow more important than anyone else on the road.

Wow thats some logic. This is the usual tripe that gets posted here when this topic is 'discussed'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_on_Board

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

omega man wrote: »
    Wow thats some logic. This is the usual tripe that gets posted here when this topic is 'discussed'.

To deter tailgating?? So don't rear end me or you may kill my child?
    That link then goes on to basically say it's now a farce and the signs mean nothing (Princess on board, etc..).

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

No driving like an idiot is driving like an idiot. Having a kid projectile vomit across the back seat of your car could be considered a 'distraction'...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

omega man wrote: »

why would the fact there's a kid in the car make me stop tailgaiting (not that I do anyway)

Are you trying to suggest a childs life is somehow more vaulable than an adults in the circumstance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

when i see a BOB sign it means (mostly....)

1) a wimmins driver
    2) be cautious
    2) pass out at earliest opportunity
    3) continue en route
    4) end

Advertisement