Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DOE for campers

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

*Kol* wrote: »
    I think it is a minefield due to the amount of windows out there manufactured with no markings. It is going to be very difficult for any DOE test centre to interpret or enforce this part of the test properly as it will be impossible to verify any certification provided for a window that has no markings.

Yes, you're right, it is a minefield.
    I think the RSA are overshooting the target. What this regulation is aimed at is to prevent some cowboy from converting his commercial into a camper or minibus using normal window glass (which could possibly decapitate a passenger in the case of an accident). That's why the E R43 mark is deemed necessary to make sure that automotive glass is used.
    What they didn't think of at all is the plastic windows commonly used in factory built campers ..we need to change that.

zoltar_boi wrote: »
    I tracked down the manufacturer, and they set me details of after-manufacture certification from the German government for Roxite windows.

See ...that's the type approval or "Bauartgenehmigung" again.

I just can't see why every camper owner should get this for every window in their van. There must be a way for the RSA/DOE to recognise these without putting the burden of proof on the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

*Kol* wrote: »
    You would be lucky to get away with £600 stg for a ful set of windows (unless you have either tiny windows or very few windows). I would say you would be lucky to get away with €1500-€2000 including shipping to and from the UK.

All MH windows are made from perspex/acrylic/plexiglass it's the same thing. It's the very same material that aircraft windows are made from (they are just thicker to withstand the pressure of the cabin).

Sorry, I should have included the word EACH and this does not include the rubber seals, which EECO do not make themselves, or the cost of shipping.

We all seem to be in agreement over the window issue so that's something that we can bombard the RSA with.

Can anyone see any other problems?, apart from not liking the charges the only thing I will have to do is stop the wash basin from discharging on to the road under the van (at least for it's test).

I do have the weight problem that I mentioned earlier so if anyone has any thoughts on this please let me know.

Must engage brain now and again. Hadn't mentioned the weight.

My Bedford Romahome is plated inside the cab as 1400kg unladen & 1900kg laden. On the weighbridge at Castlebar, I have the paperwork, It weighed in at 1100kg. with everything in it except 2 passengers (It's a 2 berth).
    When it's tested what will they use as the laden weight I wonder. The plate must refer to the Bedford Rascal with a pick-up body, or whatever it's called, although it has never been anything other than a camper.

Thoughts anyone please.

• Advertisement

Can anyone see any other problems?

I would suspect there to be a few more devils in the detail. I don't know the exact wording of DOE test regulations but I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are some small niggly bits in there that collide with normal campervan equipment / setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Here's an email I got from the RSA About this
    Dear Stakeholder,

The Road Safety Authority (RSA) has today, 31st March 2010 launched a public consultation undertaking a review of motor caravan roadworthiness testing. As part of this review the RSA is consulting with owners of motor caravans, individuals and organisations who sell and hire motor caravans, the general public and other stakeholder groups who have an interest in the safe operation of such vehicles on Irish roads. The consultation document can also be downloaded from the RSA website www.rsa.ie under the “Publications” tab.

RSA policy, to save lives and prevent injuries by reducing the number and severity of collisions on the road, is to require as many vehicle categories as possible to undergo periodic roadworthiness testing. Every owner and driver is obliged to ensure that their vehicle is roadworthy and in compliance with the law. Roadworthiness testing is a preventative measure which helps ensure that vehicles using our roads are in sound working order. It is a mandatory requirement throughout the EU and is governed by EC Directive 2009/40/EC which sets out the requirements for testing of motor vehicles and trailers and only exempts from testing vehicles owned by the armed forces, police and fire services. In light of this the RSA wish to revise our national roadworthiness testing regulations to ensure that an appropriate test is mandated for Motor Caravans.

You can submit your comments on or before 12th May 2010 by email to motorcaravanconsultation@rsa.ie or in writing to Vehicle Standards, Road Safety Authority, Moy Valley Business Park, Primrose Hill, Ballina, Co Mayo. Please mark the envelope “Motor Caravan Consultation”.

Yours sincerely

Tom McHale,
    Principal Engineer - Head of Vehicle Standards

Attached PDF that came with the email

Seenashow we have a new thread I should really close this one

Parallel universe avoidance and all that :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement