Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stuck in a bus lane today

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Not at the end of every lane. In a lot of cases, the bus lane ends when the lane turns into a left-turning lane and traffic wanting to turn left has to give way to traffic already in the bus lane. (Very annoying if you're wanting to turn left and there's a lot of traffic using the lane illegally).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

nipplenuts wrote: »
    But then you sit at the Yield sign while all the cars you undertook go past. I am fairly certain there's a yield instruction at the end of every bus lane - not that you'd want to challenge a taxi to right of way there.

Not the ones I use. They simply turn from a bus lane into a normal lane with a sign stating end of bus lane. No yield.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Stark wrote: »
    Not at the end of every lane. In a lot of cases, the bus lane ends when the lane turns into a left-turning lane and traffic wanting to turn left has to give way to traffic already in the bus lane. (Very annoying if you're wanting to turn left and there's a lot of traffic using the lane illegally).

But arent you only supposed to enter the left lane (when turning left) when the line becomes broken and there is an arrow on the road?

Too many people jump in early "shure I am only going left" but this means the bus thats going straight on gets stuck behind 20 cars who are in the "bus/soon to be left" lane? I've seen lots of people done for this also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Robb

After reading your post again, I think you should go to confession to be honest with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

But then you sit at the Yield sign while all the cars you undertook go past. I am fairly certain there's a yield instruction at the end of every bus lane - not that you'd want to challenge a taxi to right of way there.
    dont think ive ever seen a yield sign at the end of any bus lane ive been in tbh. Also surely if the bus lane is non operational, we should all be driving in the innermost/left lane unless overtaking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,480 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Max Power1 wrote: »
    dont think ive ever seen a yield sign at the end of any bus lane ive been in tbh. Also surely if the bus lane is non operational, we should all be driving in the innermost/left lane unless overtaking?

in bound at booterstown dart station crossroads there is an example of a yield at the end of a buslane

Map

in bound at booterstown dart station crossroads there is an example of a yield at the end of a buslane

Map

That's right, there is actually. That's where the lane ends completely though. Where there continues to be a lane after the bus lane is ended I have never seen a yield. I'm sure they do exist though.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭McSpud

Bit OT but what is the point in 24/7 bus lanes?

I always look at the signs as I find a variety of operational times. Never ceases to amaze me the number of people who clearly never look at the signs - long may that continue. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Driving through Dublin in general is a bloody nightmare, I was driving from south of the liffey up to Dundalk on Sunday and the roads are all over the place. Drivers from America must go demented trying to drive in a city over here.

One lane becomes two and then one again within 200 metres, a forward moving, straight lane turns into a right turn only lane in the blink of an eye, you have to hop into bus lanes with taxis and buses to turn left (not really a problem but confusing) etc. If you aren't from Dublin it a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

i would not worry about it, i always use the bus lane if there is heavy traffic and i need to turn left at the next set of lights

• Advertisement

Overature wrote: »
    i would not worry about it, i always use the bus lane if there is heavy traffic and i need to turn left at the next set of lights

and one day you'll get caught and done for it and be on here moaning about how unfair it is

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Ok, in the OP's situation, I would have smacked the indicator on to show I wanted to get back into traffic and look to move back in where I was.

For those talking about out of hours bus lanes, look at it this way, the bus lane out of hours becomes a left hand lane, with the "normal" driving lane to the right, for during bus lane hours...confusing. Whe you reach the end of the "Left hand lane" you will notice marking onthe road signaling the end of the Bus Lane / Left Hand Lane. You must then yeild to traffic in the right hand land, i.e. same as you would when merging onto a motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭trellheim

• Registered Users Posts: 20,942 ✭✭✭✭Stark

McSpud wrote: »
    Bit OT but what is the point in 24/7 bus lanes?

They usually have them where a hard shoulder was converted into a bus lane.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cailineile13

OP, I know how you feel!

Dropped some friends to the airport Thursday evening around 5.30, got completely lost leaving there! Took several wrong turns, at one point ended up sitting a taxi rank outside the radisson before realising it was a rank & that's why no-one was moving...:rolleyes:

Got back onto yet another aiport road that I thought I recognised, but then half way down realised I didn't. Guy behind me was driving so far up my arse he should've at least bought me dinner first!
    I got so flustered & lost that I thought, I know, I'll just stick to the left lane, and it should bring me back to the M50. Was at a set of lights in a filter lane behind a people carrier, turned left, and just followed the people carrier up the road. I was thinking to myself, god this lane is really quiet, the other ones full, maybe I'm in the wrong lane?

All of a sudden, there was a garda waving me down! Had no idea why he was pulling me in until he said (with some exasperation!) "You're driving in a bus lane!" Thankfully, when he copped my other-side-of-the-country-address and car reg, he let me go-probably much to the disgust of the people in the regular lane though. Thank you Mr. Nice Garda Man!

(and yes, I realise there will be a lot of "god, women drivers....:rolleyes:" I'm sorry to say, in my experience, occasionally it's true....but I'm guessing the OP is male, so it's not always just us...:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Took several wrong turns, at one point ended up sitting a taxi rank outside the radisson before realising it was a rank & that's why no-one was moving...:rolleyes:

Ha ha, I did the exact same thing on Saturday on Stephens green, there was TWO lanes of taxis and I was stopped behind the right hand one and wondered why i was sitting still for 30 seconds. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Not the ones I use. They simply turn from a bus lane into a normal lane with a sign stating end of bus lane. No yield.

It's a road marking. I just had a look on the one at Marley Park (mentioned in the OP) and it has one.

Here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Not the same story as the OP but something similar. It was almost 7pm one evening and I was in Blanchardstown heading toward the centre. As soon as the clock hit 7pm, i moved into the lane and progressed up the road while other drives stayed queued. Some lad in a van did the same behind me. Get to the top of the lane and you have to merge into one lane and of course no one would let me out.

The van driver behind me got annoyed that no one was letting us out and rolled down his window to the car beside him and shouted "the bus lane is f**king open to the public now, dont be a pr**k".

despite the abuse he gave, we were let back in! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Wossack

with regards to moving in and out of bus lanes - do you not generally have to cross a continuous white line to do so...?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Max Power1 wrote: »

There is usually at least a line across the lane to signify that it is ending, which (at least to me) implies that you should yield to traffic in the other lane...

• Advertisement

It's a road marking. I just had a look on the one at Marley Park (mentioned in the OP) and it has one.

Here

I've never seen the yield marking before. If the marking is not there and there is simply a broken line should this be taken as a yield also?

Guy behind me was driving so far up my arse he should've at least bought me dinner first!

:D:D:D

Advertisement