Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strike, 24th of November

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

This anti-government bs really irritates me; why complain if you are the ones who voted them in?

Surely people cannot be suprised if such a ridiculous bunch of corrupt, self-serving, backwards gombeens managed to continue along a path started ten years ago, to its ultimate conclusion, economic ruin for the country. The unions are as guilty for supporting it.

No pity here. The Government cut backs don't go half far enough, IMO. The public sector is riddled with waste; most ps workers I know are looking forward to a night on the piss because they have they day off tomorrow and are not picketing themselves. Sure, there are plenty of public sector workers who are in a more informed and reasonable position, but I fear they are not the majority. What does the strike hope to achieve? Holding on to the idiotic, bloated and painfully inefficient Public Sector model we have? F*ck that.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

mloc wrote: »
    No pity here. The Government cut backs don't go half far enough, IMO. The public sector is riddled with waste; .

I agree the public sector needs reform however it's rather unfair to ask people to cut back when tax take in Ireland is still one of the lowest in Western Europe. We pay hardly any tax in this country in comparison with most Western European states and the highest band of income tax is ridiculously low and hardly effects the big earners wage at all.

But some right wing mentality in this country means that its unlikely taxes will be raised substansially. And as usual the fat cats get away scot free.

But the Public Sector have a fair few fat cats that need to be dealt with too.

Kournikova wrote: »
    I agree the public sector needs reform however it's rather unfair to ask people to cut back when tax take in Ireland is still one of the lowest in Western Europe. We pay hardly any tax in this country in comparison with most Western European states and the highest band of income tax is ridiculously low and hardly effects the big earners wage at all.

But some right wing mentality in this country means that its unlikely taxes will be raised substansially. And as usual the fat cats get away scot free.

But the Public Sector have a fair few fat cats that need to be dealt with too.

We have relatively low income tax, but we are not a low taxation country. We have enormous rates of non-income tax, including VAT and duty on alcohol, fuels, tobacco and other consumables, not to mention many stealth taxes in various forms. Our income taxes are comparable to the UK which has much lower rates on non-income taxation. The cost of living in this country is still impossibly high, as highlighted popularly by the differential between prices of groceries in Nothern Ireland and the Republic.

Fundamentally, this comes down to a lack of real competition, a far too protectionist economic policy, scandalous taxation and a culture of artificial price inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kournikova

Small countries can't sustain a large competitive market like in large countries, its natural that monopolies develop in certain industries.

IMO it was crony capitalism that really caused all our problems. Thanks to the PDs and all their amazing economic policies.

This is starting to get off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

There were a few questions earlier in the thread regarding access to buildings etc today.
    From what I've seen this morning vast majority of them are open with the exception of a few areas that would pose a health and safety risk due to lack of academic/technical staff such as some open access labs and workshops.
    From what I've heard there are pickets on all major entrances, and while there are students in college already some have said that they were stopped and asked not to enter campus in support of the strike. Obviously some are ignoring this.
    So as before, I suppose whether or not you decide to come in is entirely up to yourselves.

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

fikay wrote: »
    There were a few questions earlier in the thread regarding access to buildings etc today.
    From what I've seen this morning vast majority of them are open with the exception of a few areas that would pose a health and safety risk due to lack of academic/technical staff such as some open access labs and workshops.
    From what I've heard there are pickets on all major entrances, and while there are students in college already some have said that they were stopped and asked not to enter campus in support of the strike. Obviously some are ignoring this.
    So as before, I suppose whether or not you decide to come in is entirely up to yourselves.

That is all.

I presume buses aren't going into UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

There was about 10 people at the clonskeagh entrance this morning just after 8. I was driving in so don't know if they were approaching students

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Infuriating Unions, I will cross the lines regardless, I have no respect for the sheep like, naive and largely uninformed public sector staff who follow these ridiculously backwards Union leaders.

I have no respect for those who plundered and foundered the economy with impunity and the government who accommodated these selfish,indeed traitorous acts, through its inaction, irresponsibility and suspiciously too close association with the "get richer still and curse the consequences cliques"! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

I presume buses aren't going into UCD?

They were entering campus early this morning, doubt they'll cross the pickets now. But other than that they're running as usual.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Buses and cars were being blocked from entering the main entrance when I was up there earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Tried to stop me cycling in the clonskeagh entrance. Told them to grow up and cycled around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭IndigoStarr

Tried to stop me from going in the main gate. I told them that I was going in to complete assignments and had to push my way through them to get it.

Honestly, it's mostly those FEE students that are causing problems. Staff were perfectly polite to me and let me through but students were downright rude and out to cause trouble.

I don't feel comfortable crossing a picket line but college is more of a priority for me than supporting a cause that is definitely flawed. I hear that Newry is backed up from ROI people shopping on their 'day off' and IKEA is packed. Makes my sympathy for these people wane...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Tried to stop me from going in the main gate. I told them that I was going in to complete assignments and had to push my way through them to get it.

Honestly, it's mostly those FEE students that are causing problems. Staff were perfectly polite to me and let me through but students were downright rude and out to cause trouble.

Damn, I missed all the fun. I got off across from the spar and walked in the 17enterance(not sure the name of it) and no one said a word to me or got in my way. Should have stayed on the bus till the main enterance.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Heard on TodayFM some of those on the gate were shouting and hitting a students car as she attempted to drive into the college. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour.

Had no issues crossing picket in WIT, nobody said anything and thats the way it should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Dental plan

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

I've never seen UCD campus so quiet on a weekday. Walked around at approx midday, usually one of day's busiest days, and it was an absolute ghost town. Photocopying shop in the Arts Block as well as the Campus bookshop was closed. All the libraries were closed expect for James Joyce which was only open till 4pm. I heard that the vast majority of lectures were canceled.

There were quite big pickets of striking workers (and supportive students) on the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway and Clonskeagh entrances. Smaller ones on the other three entrances.

I saw dozens of work vans/trucks turn around once they saw it was a picket. 90%+ of buses (17, 11B, 10) refused to pass the picket. I also saw lots of cars honking their horns and waving in support.

Most students seemed generally supportive with most who crossed the picket saying they had to collect something, go to an exam or drop in an assignment.

(I don't agree with anyone forcibly stopping students from getting into the college)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

1968 wrote: »
    I've never seen UCD campus so quiet on a weekday. Walked around at approx midday, usually one of day's busiest days, and it was an absolute ghost town. Photocopying shop in the Arts Block as well as the Campus bookshop was closed. All the libraries were closed expect for James Joyce which was only open till 4pm. I heard that the vast majority of lectures were canceled.

There were quite big pickets of striking workers (and supportive students) on the Stillorgan Dual Carriageway and Clonskeagh entrances. Smaller ones on the other three entrances.

I saw dozens of work vans/trucks turn around once they saw it was a picket. 90%+ of buses (17, 11B, 10) refused to pass the picket. I also saw lots of cars honking their horns and waving in support.

Most students seemed generally supportive with most who crossed the picket saying they had to collect something, go to an exam or drop in an assignment.

(I don't agree with anyone forcibly stopping students from getting into the college)

Lovely summary of the thread so far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

1968 wrote: »

Car parks were still quite full though.

Strikers should have sent someone sans placards to the bus stops to advise students not to wait at the 10 terminus, plenty of people waited there during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭1968

stop wrote: »
    Strikers should have sent someone sans placards to the bus stops to advise students not to wait at the 10 terminus, plenty of people waited there during the day.

Fair point. I'll make one (if no one else does) for next Thursday (assuming it goes ahead).

Coppers packed last night, 300% increase in taxi fares in the city centre, 3 hour tailback at Newry, Ikea have busiest day of the month, Dundrum shopping centre require extra security due to queues.

The strike was a national embarassment. Anyone involved should be outright ashamed of themselves. "Union holiday" would be more appropriate than strike.

250,000 people, that's a quarter of a million, ALL of the public sector bar a few essentials take the day off and no major problems for anyone bar a few people assaulted by picketers as they try to get to essential meetings. If there ever was evidence we could reduce our public sector staff by 40%, there you have. Thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

250,000 people, that's a quarter of a million, ALL of the public sector bar a few essentials take the day off and no major problems for anyone bar a few people assaulted by picketers as they try to get to essential meetings. If there ever was evidence we could reduce our public sector staff by 40%, there you have. Thank you very much.
    Ya, I mean if UCD operated like this every day it'd be great.

...except for the whole education side of it :rolleyes:

Many lecturers still participated in their jobs, as they should have.

The rest it seems were too busy assembling flat pack furniture and recovering from nasty hangovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭33% God

Many lecturers still participated in their jobs, as they should have.
    Only one of mine did. To say that the country could get by with this level of public service is incredibly stupid, particularly in light of the fact that they had to call off the strike in many areas due to the flooding. Even the university couldn't last like this for much longer than a day.
    The rest it seems were too busy assembling flat pack furniture and recovering from nasty hangovers.
    While generalisations are fun they are seldom useful.
    Particularly when you base them entirely on the Joe Duffy show.

33% God wrote: »
    Joe Duffy show.

Joe Duffy show? Don't watch it. I'm basing that on personal observation and from people who were actually working today, you know, like they are meant to?

Would I be jumping the gun if I guessed you are a humanities student?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭stop

Joe Duffy show? Don't watch it.
    Very few do to be honest...

Advertisement