Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra marathon down ...just Half Ironman and Sub 3 Marathon to go

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

i`ll be screaming abuse at you around 18 miles!!! :D Best of Luck!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

just do it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Outstanding time.....full credit for setting out for such a time right from the start as well, quite amazing to run such an even pace for such a fast time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Outstanding time.....full credit for setting out for such a time right from the start as well, quite amazing to run such an even pace for such a fast time.

+1 - that's some year you've had :)..congrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

congrats - some time that!!

• Advertisement

Well done, man. What a difference a year makes...I gave you shout at 3 miles, you looked a bit puzzled trying to find out where the shout came from. tried to see you at 25miles, but must have missed you. Well done again, enjoy the celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭heffsarmy

Well done, I remeber you from the 10km in blessington you looked strong at the 19miler...Congratulations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭woundedknee

I tip my hat to you. Very impressive result.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Superb running that man. Congratulations. Inspirational.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Am taking great encouragment from your improvement going sub-3 and sub-2:50 in one go! You should publish your training diary..would be a Christmas bestseller (well, in the running community at least).

Am sure you've discussed it in previous pages here, but what are the main things you did differently compared to your 3:01?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Magnet

Jaysus :eek: - Good man yourself!!
    That was a fantastic time and I`ll be wanting a copy of your training programme too for my next competitive marathon!!
    Enjoy the buzz/endophins/gloating/recovery/beer!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Amazing time Abhainn well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Well done Abhainn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Sorry for late report everyone. Thanks for all the nice replys, I really appreciate it.
    Took today off work and spent it with “Princess & Young Sun”. Actually was in the park on the swings at 9am this morning!
    Sorry if it a bit long winded. Hopefully it will benefit some of you

Dublin Marathon 2009 Report – Part 1

Training summary
    There were 9 weeks between Eireman and the marathon. 9 weeks to prepare. Well I really didn’t have 9 weeks. I had just 5. That’s all the time I had to get the hard stuff done.
    2 weeks were spent on holiday while the last 2 would be taper.
    Prior to this I was averaging early to mid 20’s on the road since the ultra. This wasn't alot. I was getting in two good bikes rides in most weeks though and together with the swimming I was in good form physically.
    The first two weeks were spent on holiday. I used the first as a recovery week with a few easy runs and the second week I managed to get the milage into the 30’s. It wasn’t easy rising early to that you could get your run done by 8am or so.
    The 5 weeks of proper training looked like this:
    Long runs = 18, 20, 22, 20.
    I was very happy with the long runs. Average pace worked out at low 7’s and well within the aerobic zone. This was usually done after a pace run or race the day before.
    Pace runs = 5. Built up from 5 to 11 miles
    These were ok. I was unsure of what my race pace was actually going to be on the day. So they ended up going from a goal 06:40 to just under 06:30 pace.
    Races = 2 (Used these as VO2 / Tempo sessions)
    The 10k PB at 36:10 would seem a bit slow now but then I was chuffed then.
    The DHM best was something I was not expecting. I bursted my arse to achieve a PB by min at 1:23 in late June and to reduce this to 1:18 and finish before all the ladies I was real happy about.
    Speed / Intervals sessions = 2.
    Weekly milage = 47, 52, 46, 59, 52
    Seems a bit low now. I did 7 weeks of similar average in preparation for Berlin the year before

Diet and Stuff
    Diet is fairly healthy. Don’t do takeaways (Chinese, Indian’s, Thai’s) as the OH is a great cook on those fronts. The occasional fish and chips are had as it is really good. I have sweet tooth especially for chocolate biscuits but only in the evenings. Wine and some good quality beer at weekends. Actually had a half bottle of red on Sunday with dinner. Rarely go to the pub these days.

The last week before:
    As usual the last week in lead up to an event feels long. You feel lazy, rusty and anxious. Uncertainly sets in. It’s always the same, this week was no different. I felt ok but wasn’t bouncing along on my last few runs including the 3 miler on the Sunday.
    My back was aching badly still so I decided to go for a deep sports massage on the Sat morning. It was the first time I got one of these and it certainly hit the spot.
    Had an ok sleep Sat night (though I ended up sleeping in 3 different beds during the night – don’t ask, kids are still great though) while I had a brutal sleep on the Sunday night. It was ok though as shortly after I rose Monday morning the body felt ready for the sub 3 hr onslaught.

Race plan & strategy
    From the recent PB’s in races, long run ease and the fact that I am nearly 4 kg lighter than same time last year (can loose a few kg more too I think) I knew I had at least a 2:55 in me. In truth I would be disappointed anything over this. So a 06:40 / mile pace seemed realistic.
    I thought also if conditions were good and if I felt alright I could push it and possibly get close to 2:50. To average 06:30 over 26 miles at first though seemed a bit out of my reach. Went I went through sums however it seemed a possibility.
    My best over 13.1 in 2008 was 06:25 mile, I averaged 06:54 in Berlin 26.2 which was 29secs slower. For 2009 I managed a 05:57 for 13.1 so adding 30 to that would seem a 2:50 possibility in Dublin.
    I then had the idea that there would be probably male pace makers for the Irish leading ladies. They would be finishing in the 2:45:low 2:50’s range so if I could tag onto a group I could get pulled along.
    So that was my plan. Start as far up in the pack. Suss out the leading ladies and settle in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Peckham

Interesting stuff - must read over your thread in a lot more detail.

Could look this up myself, but what were your 10k splits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Peckham wrote: »

+1 When's it coming out in hardback and can we get signed copies?

Sheer quality from you all this year, you're an inspiration Abhainn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Reading that Abhainn you make it sound so easy. An excellent result. Class.

Part II
    The Dublin marathon 2009 was my easiest marathon. This is no lie. Read on:

I was parked up on Mount St by 7:30am. The same place now for 3 years in a row. Relaxed I read the entry list on the race programmes to see if I know anyone else that might be running.
    Finished off a can of Red Bull and by 8:10 I was on my way to the start. I reached the top of the start line by 8:30. Didn’t spot anyone I knew. The only one I recognised was Amadeus with his big black balloon strapped to him. I was thinking any minute now he would be lifted into the air like in the Up movie.
    But it was no time and I was off on my 6 marathon.
    Even though I was close to the top there was quite a few ahead of me. It was a little congested but by the time we reached Leeson st it was fine. Went through mile 1 in 5:46 that I think was definitely short. I slowed just a little and mile 2 went by in 6:48 – long Id say. As I said my strategy was to try and hook up with one of the leading ladies. :D. I spotted the veteran Sligo lady Lucy Brennan just ahead. As far as I could remember she did a marathon earlier this year in around 2:50 – lovely I thought. So by mile 3 I was in a group of about 8 including her. Just ahead was a girl in white compression socks and I spot Lucy Darcy further on, good stuff.
    I went through 5k in 19:55. I love doing calculations when I’m running. Miles to km etc. If you multiply 20min x 8 = 2hrs 40. This equates to 40k, plus approx 9 mins for 2.2k equals 2hr 49 marathon.
    At this stage I still wasn’t very relaxed in my running and I hadn’t settled yet. The pace seemed quick but I had been telling myself all week disregard how you feel until mile 5 or so.
    Through mile 5 in 6:06 which was fast but that is a quick section. By this stage I had left Lucy B just behind and had settled running side by side with the girl in white socks. Whatever it was we would run side by side for more than 17 miles of this marathon. I don’t know what it was. It worked extremely well, I think for both of us. I would later learn her name was Claire.
    I was looking out for my brother at 10k. I missed him, he missed me. Time check there was 39:50. This was another 19:55. As we turned down Furze rd and then Glen road the pace was quickening. The last couple of miles were 6:20 & 6:18. Even though I thought this was a mad pace the Hr was around 160 which was perfect, but not for long though.
    Miles 9 and 10 up to Inchicore have climbs. There didn’t seem to be any mile marker at 9 but those two miles were done in 12:15. This is still mad pace. From there on it was just the two of us running in silence, side by side moving through the field, not a word been spoken. She must have thought I was stalking her. That is until about mile 12 and a guy on a bike comes along side and says “Aren’t you the English couple who I ran with last year in the marathon just around here”, I doubt it “ I reply. “We’ve just met”.
    I think that broke the ice. Though it took her until mile 14 before she uttered a word.
    Back to running. Mile 11 again was fast at 06:11 and the next two were not slow either.
    We went through 13.1 in 1:23:07. Now 1:23:13 was my half marathon PB up until 4 weeks ago. I was now running faster than that. How on earth was I going to survive the next 13.1? My HR was 168, which is just under the 90% for me. I calculated that if I were to average a 06:35 over the next half a sub 2:50 would be on.
    But I felt good and in the miles ahead I was going to feel even feel even better. I ask Claire what’s her target time is. She reply’s 2:48. Lovely I say to myself. We’re together for a few more miles then.
    Again there was no marker at 14 but by mile 15 the time was 12:41 for previous 2 miles. A friend yells on around now and then my boss at the KCR.
    HR had increased to 170 but was stable for 5 miles (Mile 14 – 19). I was feeling relaxed and strong. My friend was strong too though I noticed her breathing was starting to labour just a little.
    Some runners started to slow down and stop as early as Terenure (mile 16). It was starting to get lonely out here. Large gaps were appearing ahead but we continued to move through the runners. There was great support out there. On more than a few occasions “ Great running girls” was yelled. Poor me was I mistaken for a girl also? As there was other female runner in close vicinity.
    Again there was no mile marker at 18 but mile 19 and previous was 12:45. Through 30k in just over 1:58. 3 fast 10ks in a row, just one steady one to go and I’ll be happy.
    One of Claires support crew comes along side and says she is closing on an African girl and Pauline Curley who is now 1:45 ahead. We enter Roebuck rd and over take the African girl who is struggling badly and then that hill greets us. But it is climbed fairly effortlessly by both of us – thank you Wicklow hills. That mile was 06:36. My last gel was taken at mile 21 and we entered the Stillorgan. There were quite a few now struggling badly and as these are overtaken I loose my companion of 2 hours. I feel somewhat guilty just f ing off like that. Ah well I’ll thank her at the finish. Into mile 23 now on my own and this is where the pain starts to come on. Hr has been 173 since mile 20 but I continue to force the pace. This mile is 06:18 and I was overtaken by 3 clubs runners who much have been doing sub 6:00 pace here.
    With 3 miles to go all the loveliness of the marathon is over and the pain is truly here. I count down 20 mins to go, 19, 18 etc. Mile 24 has slowed to 06:42. I block out the crowd now. Pain is bad. I know Racing Flat is at mile 25 so that’s my next goal. Have to look strong through there! The crowd is huge, where the f is RF? I shout “Comon Sligo”. (A yell I made at 40k in Berlin 2008 just when RF overtook me and claimed the sub 3, I didn’t) I listen. The crowd replies but I don’t here Abhainn or Joe. I roar louder “Comon Sligo”. This time I think I hear “Joe”.
    This last mile is always hard. Legs feel like lead. There is a band playing at TCD. I do a silly dance in time with them as I run by. The crowd appreciates it as I forget the pain for just a few seconds. I count down the last 1/10ths of a mile to my family who is at 26 miles. They are going mad.
    Next I see the finish line which seems miles away. I see 2:47. I know I am going to make it. I cross the line and the paparazzi take thousands of pictures of me.
    Well done me again. Job well done.

My legs nearly seize then. But God it is such a happy pain.
    Not a sub 3, not a sub 2:55 or 2:50 but a 2:47!!!. In this year of achievements I certainly left the best till last.

Finally I look back and see if my companion is finished. Thankfully I see her. She is resting on the railing not in great shape. She got her 2:48 though.
    I hope we race each other again.

Finish Time 2:47:42. HR 167. Max 185 (at end!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭wizwill

fantastic report, fantastic time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

awesome ....... Great read ... The swings sounded better than my day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭TJC

Brilliant Stuff...Congratulations on a fantastic run...some v quick miles early on...

Abhainn wrote: »
    I know Racing Flat is at mile 25 so that’s my next goal. Have to look strong through there! The crowd is huge, where the f is RF? I shout “Comon Sligo”. (A yell I made at 40k in Berlin 2008 just when RF overtook me and claimed the sub 3, I didn’t) I listen. The crowd replies but I don’t here Abhainn or Joe. I roar louder “Comon Sligo”. This time I think I hear “Joe”.

Can't believe we missed you, specially after moving down a bit to get a clearer view. Was looking forward to shouting C'mon Sligo myself!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

well done abhainn...great running again.
    That report reads like a stephen king novel....
    almost made me want to go for a run :D

I just told a lie there,nothing on this planet would make me run right now !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

The story just gets better and better. Can't wait to read the next chapter.
    Brilliant stuff again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Stunning!

Inspirational!

Delighted for you :D

Well done Abhainn that is a cracking result. Great report to read also, I've followed your log all year. Cannot wait for the IM one

Could look this up myself, but what were your 10k splits?

Mile Splits

1. 05:56 Short?
    2. 06:48 Long?
    3. 06:34
    4. 06:40
    5. 06:06
    6. 06:28
    7. 06:20
    8. 06:18
    9. 06:08
    10. 06:07 (Missed marker Miles 9 + 10 = 12.15)
    11. 06:11
    12. 06:23
    13. 06:24
    14. 06:20
    15. 06:21 (No marker. Miles 14 + 15 = 12.41)
    16. 06:23
    17. 06:30
    18. 06:23
    19. 06:23 (No marker Miles 18 + 19 = 12.46)
    20. 06:36
    21. 06:39
    22. 06:19
    23. 06:18
    24. 06:42
    25. 06:29
    26. 0639
    27. 1:23

First half = 1:23:07
    Second half = 1:24:35

KM Splits & Previous 5K

5K 0:19:55
    10K 0:39:50 19:55
    15K 0:59:05 19:15
    20K 1:18:30 19:25
    25K 1:38:20 19:50
    30K 1:58:10 19:50
    35K 2:18:36 20:26
    40K 2:38:46 20:10
    42.2K 2:47:42 08:56

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

Smashing report Abhainn, you really captured the essence of the experience, not to mention the cracking time.

Am sure you've discussed it in previous pages here, but what are the main things you did differently compared to your 3:01?

Good question. I had to think about this one because at first I didn’t think I changed much.
    I don’t do much speed work but all my runs at done a reasonable pace. But I think I can attribute the improvement to two reasons though:
    One: I suppose the winter training for the Ultra made a man of me. After the 2008 DM I took 2 weeks off.
    Then I incorporated 60-80k bike each weekend together with a long run that peaked at 20miles on 31st Dec.
    During January and February I concentrated on building up my back to back long runs at weekends. I gradually went from a 12 and 16 right up to a 24 and 21 increasing 2 miles to each long run each week.
    These very tough and done at a good clip. With the cold weather and the fact that I included stiff climbs on these sessions I believe these stood to me.

The second reason is probably the long bike sessions for the Half IM. Enduro has alluded to this in the past. Bike sessions are great. It certainly builds up the quads. Running 5 k or so off the bike (brick session) then is a ideal to strengthen the legs.

I was lucky I had no injuries or sickness through the year. I didn’t have to cancel many sessions at all. Fingers crossed for 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Oh what a PC bunch we have on here, falling over over each other in the their rush to express their congratulations when what they really want to say is; what are you going to do next and when is the log going to start.

Congratulations BTW:D. A fantastic time and a brilliant way to finish off a super year. Your log has been an inspiration and you are living proof that there is not such thing as not enough hours in the day.

• Advertisement

Abhainn wrote: »
    I am nearly 4 kg lighter than same time last year

I imagine this is massively significant in your improvement.

Advertisement