Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M3 Clonee-Kells Motorway construction updates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

The new R125 was getting a good wash this evening, could be opening very soon!

The embankments local to the Dunshaughlin end of this road have been tidied up in the last few days, the crash barrier which I mentioned in an earlier post is not quite buried by the embankment anymore. I should have taken photos of this work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

Trubertq wrote: »
    Co. Donegal is in the Republic of Ireland, but quite a lot of people in the Southern half of the country seem to think that it is in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

All joking aside, I'd dispute that statement. Most ordinary Irish people would know its in the Republic.
    Trubertq wrote: »
    There is a very poor infrastructure connecting Donegal to the other parts of the country. We here in Killybegs have a €60 million port that doesn't have a decent road connecting it to Donegal Town and on to Sligo, Dublin etc. THe provision of a better infrastructure would have helped develoment in the north west and might have made it more viable for people to stay living here instead of having to move to the commuter belt and having to buy over priced houses that they barely see.
    That's all I was saying.
    I get a bit annoyed when people say we don't need to improve N3, maybe a motorway is too much I'm not an engineer but certainly an upgrade for the road was necessary. Now, if they would fix the Pettigo road we'd be flyin' :D

I don't take issue is with the M3 itself, but the fact that the likes of it and the WRC got priority over such things as the Interconnector (planned since the 70s) is an indictment of the logical development of this state. I.e. frills before core needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

D.L.R. wrote: »
    All joking aside, I'd dispute that statement. Most ordinary Irish people would know its in the Republic.

Nobody has disputed that most Irish people from both NI & ROI know that Donegal is in the Republic. What is surprising is the number of people who think it is in NI (and hence the UK), i.e. the size of this minority is amazingly high for what is a small island.

By the way, way up the N3, and beyond there are plans to improve the road from Donegal to Killybegs: http://www.donegalcoco.ie/services/roadstransport/majorprojects/mountcharleskillybegsjunction.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

The Northern forum is this-a-way. No more commentary on peoples' level of geographical awareness here please.
    Discuss the M3, N3, and the development of these and similar roads northwestwards only from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,554 ✭✭✭✭L1011

nordydan wrote: »

By the way, way up the N3, and beyond there are plans to improve the road from Donegal to Killybegs: http://www.donegalcoco.ie/services/roadstransport/majorprojects/mountcharleskillybegsjunction.htm

Not only is that not the N3, its not even on a road that adjoins the N3! Its on the N56, which comes off the N15...

The new R125 link road between N3 (north of Dunshaughtlin) and R154 (Trim road) was opened today – great improvement over the old Drumree road.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

tech2 wrote: »
    This will be another broken promise. The €9 million handed over a few weeks ago will be the last the government will offer to advance this route.
    This is what I thought, but according to Wesley Johnston, they have a start date and everything. In NI at least they're assuming we're still playing ball. I honestly don't know how we'll justify such a level of expenditure in a foreign country though.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Just a quick update on progress

The large flyover at the end of the existing dual carriage way section of the
    N3 just past Clonee is having the second section of beams lifted into position. This flyover will bring the old N3 over the new M3 dont think there are access points her but at Pace instead.

The Pace junction is having the final wearing course laid and road signs are up, apparently the Dunboyne bypass will be opened on a phased basis ment to be by the end of September.

The far end of the Dunboyne bypass is now being worked on with one way traffic on the Maynooth Dunboyne road.

Base layers of tarmac have been laid up to the toll plaza which is still progressing rather slowly no steel structure appearing yet.

Also the R125 is open so presume the old Drumree road will be no more and the M3 will be pushed through here quickly with base layers following.

Hopefully get a few pics of the progress

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

eddiej wrote: »
    Just a quick update on progress

The large flyover at the end of the existing dual carriage way section of the
    N3 just past Clonee is having the second section of beams lifted into position. This flyover will bring the old N3 over the new M3 dont think there are access points her but at Pace instead.

The Pace junction is having the final wearing course laid and road signs are up, apparently the Dunboyne bypass will be opened on a phased basis ment to be by the end of September.

The far end of the Dunboyne bypass is now being worked on with one way traffic on the Maynooth Dunboyne road.

Base layers of tarmac have been laid up to the toll plaza which is still progressing rather slowly no steel structure appearing yet.

Also the R125 is open so presume the old Drumree road will be no more and the M3 will be pushed through here quickly with base layers following.

Hopefully get a few pics of the progress
    I was wondering myself how they were going to merge the Clonee DC with the M3. I was down there last Sunday to have a look at what way it was developing (cycled along the new road from the Pace end) and you can see the "join" but what was less obvious was where the old N3 would continue...it looks more like it might vere to the right of the M3 at the same level. I couldn't figure out the lay-out of the bridge they are building. If the N3 is to be carried over the bridge there would be a lot of work to be done yet before it could take any traffic.
    The other thing I found curious was the new "M3" signs they erected in the last few days, just at the start of the Clonee DC in-bound...presumably this is meant to carry on through to the
    M50 interchange but there hasn't been any up-grading of that section of roadway, apart from the bus-lane put in some months ago.
    Incidentally, I saw the trucks with the new bridge sections parked up on the site, quite spectacular.

• Advertisement

CUCINA wrote: »
    I was wondering myself how they were going to merge the Clonee DC with the M3. I was down there last Sunday to have a look at what way it was developing (cycled along the new road from the Pace end) and you can see the "join" but what was less obvious was where the old N3 would continue...it looks more like it might vere to the right of the M3 at the same level. I couldn't figure out the lay-out of the bridge they are building. If the N3 is to be carried over the bridge there would be a lot of work to be done yet before it could take any traffic.
    The other thing I found curious was the new "M3" signs they erected in the last few days, just at the start of the Clonee DC in-bound...presumably this is meant to carry on through to the
    M50 interchange but there hasn't been any up-grading of that section of roadway, apart from the bus-lane put in some months ago.
    Incidentally, I saw the trucks with the new bridge sections parked up on the site, quite spectacular.

By the way the Clonee junction at the start of the new motorway is signed as J4, so that should give some indication as to the rest of the M3 ( and N3 inbound)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

nordydan wrote: »
    By the way the Clonee junction at the start of the new motorway is signed as J4, so that should give some indication as to the rest of the M3 ( and N3 inbound)
    So where does or will the m3 start from if this is j4

The route of the N3 (heading towards M50 from the Pace junction) will cross over the M3 at the new bridge (mentioned above - Post 210) then travel towards Clonee to join with R156 (Clone Dunboyne road) at the little roundabout which currently has an access road to the N3 from the R156 (Clonee). This access road will be replaced by a new access road from the roundabout at the flyover nearer to Clonee. This roundabout and the other little one mentioned above are to be replaced with new bigger roundabouts. However, I’m not sure how or when they plan to open this new section of the N3 as the second half of the bridge is only been installed now. I think work will start very soon to join the M3 to the end of dual carriageway and open the M3 as far as the Pace junction and open the Dunboyne by-pass at the same time. This will allow access into Dunboyne from the new by-pass and then temporary close the R156 into Dunboyne from Clonee so as to finish the N3 road and new roundabouts near Clonee.

The old R125 (now numbered L22082) has closed to traffic since last Monday morning (31-08-09) local access from R154 to Drumree only now. Excavation has also started on the old R125 road where it crossed the M3. I believe there is no bridge planned for this location nor is there a need for one, but a pedestrian bridge would be useful there.

biffoman wrote: »
    So where does or will the m3 start from if this is j4

I think the N3 between the M3 and M50 will be numbered 1-3, as part of a continuous junction numbering strategy

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

thanks,has anyone got any photos from the last few weeks.would like to see how its shaping up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭spuddy

biffoman wrote: »
    thanks,has anyone got any photos from the last few weeks.would like to see how its shaping up.

Just got one of the flyover near Dunboyne yesterday, posted here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61964300&postcount=405

• Advertisement

I took a photo last week of the Clonee/M3 junction...let's see if I manage to upload it...here goesSTA60617.JPG

That seems to have worked...I took more photos today between the Dunshaughlin and Fairyhouse bridges, will try to upload them here. First one is of a cattle underpass. Just as I was taking the photo, a farmer came along who was taking his dogs for a walk and I had an interesting ten-minute chat with him. I was asking him why it was a dual arrangement and he was telling me that the underpass is going to be used by four farmers (he was one of them). Fencing will be erected to separate the two passageways.
    He also said that the builders made the channel for the underpass too deep, so that there is a big drainage problem, meaning that a pump is in use there which I could here in the background. I was asking him if it was going to be a permanent fixture and he said that this was up to him! The NRA want to connect pipework through his land to rectify the problem!
    There is another bridge going over the M3 about 100 metres away with no access from the M3 and no roads on either side of it. I noticed this on a previous occassion and wondered what its purpose was. This farmer was telling me that it was built (at a cost of over a million euros) to facilitate a big dairy farmer, to enable him to drive his tractor and cattle over the road.
    I will attempt to post a few photos relating to my travels there today in posts to follow shortly, hopefully...

This is the dairy farmer's bridge mentioned above...

This is where they have now cut across ther old Drumree road, looking towards Dunsany direction

Another go at showing photo of where they have cut through the old Drumree road, looking towards Dunsany direction...

• Advertisement

Same spot, opposite direction

Ramps on the M3? Let's hope they're temporary!

Neat tiling work under the bridges...hopefully it will stay that way for as long as possible before a pair of graffiti artists decide to have a game of x's and o'o on it!

What's the idea of these holes? You wouldn't have any peace trying to have a game of pitch and putt with cars whizzing along over them at 120 kph, so it can't be that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

Ramps on the M3? Let's hope they're temporary!

Hmm... the cantilever in that particular sign seems to support two panels. Interesting. I wonder how many other cantilevers will follow the same layout.

Thanks for all the snaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

Yes seems to be new 'double' cantilever indeed. Snaps great too thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

The bridge over the M3 link road on the Borallion road in navan is finally re-opened! This links the Trim Road in Navan and the Dublin Road, and was scheduled to re-open last March! I am very relieved that this small but busy road has finally re-opened, the traffic along this stretch of road has been awful since it closed, especially at school times. Navan LAP 3 has this Boreen to be (controversially) upgraded to a DC AFAIK?

Here's a few more snaps from yesterday around M3, Dunshaughlin area...
    this one shows the old Drumree Rd where they have now cut through it (the motorway is going from left to right in this photo).

This photo was taken on the M3 at the Rathbeggan intersection. This particular "blockage" is the only remaining obstacle that would prevent an ordinary car from driving from the Trim Rd access right through to the north Dunboyne link road (assuming permission to do so was granted!).
    The new bridge to where the Rathbeggan Rd will be diverted can be seen in the background.

Here's another view of the Rathbeggan Rd. As can be seen, it requires a bit of driving skill to negotiate this fairly ropey roadway!

• Advertisement

Last photo...it shows an artificial lake they made near the roundabout overlooking the M3 on the new Trim link/ Drumree road.

Was working out in mid Meath today and got to see the M3 at multiple points - it really does appear that the southern tie in and handling the road out of Dunboyne that currently crosses its path is far and away the least completed bit.

The D2 (presumably built as part of this overall project) on the N51 out of Navan for the M3 is a great use for passing vehicles you'd otherwise be behind half the way to Athboy - and its not tolled ;)

The Dunboyne by-pass between N147 (N3) and R156 was open today, not sure went it opened and the 157 from N147 (N3) to Dunboyne is now closed. The next section for the Dunboyne by-pass from the roundabout on the R156 to the R157 towards Maynooth doesn't look like it will be long before that opens too.

Work seems to have picked up a lot on the roundabout for the southern end of the R156-R157 'bypass' road in the past week or so. I'm presuming that once this is open they're going to close off the existing way from Dunboyne village to the N3 so they can get both the motorway and the railway through its path?

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Hmm... the cantilever in that particular sign seems to support two panels. Interesting. I wonder how many other cantilevers will follow the same layout.

Thanks for all the snaps.

Double panel cantilevers exist all along the N4 Lucan BP upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

MYOB wrote: »
    Double panel cantilevers exist all along the N4 Lucan BP upgrade.

I've actually seen those ones before. There's some on the M50 as well, as far as I remember.

But most of our new motorway schemes with cantilevers only have the single-ones. I'm wondering: how many on the M3 will follow that layout?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

What's the idea of these holes? You wouldn't have any peace trying to have a game of pitch and putt with cars whizzing along over them at 120 kph, so it can't be that!
    Hi Cucina, these holes are for drilling test samples. After they've laid the road they drill small samples out of it so they can examine the cross section of different layers. They measure their thickness, check for material consistency, etc. It's Quality Control.

When I was in the Science Museum in London, they had the original samples they drilled out of the M1 when it opened at the end of the 50s - just like these ones.

Thanks, Spacetweek...curiosity satisfied!
    I took a few photos yesterday in and around the end of the Clonee DC, hope to post them on this thread tonight or tomorrow night...

As mentioned above, here are (I hope!) a few photos taken yesterday, all around the new Clonee bridge, at the end of the DCW, with most of them taken facing more or less north, in the direction of Fairyhouse.

• Advertisement

Here, level with bridge, old N3 on RHS, you can just see the Topaz garage in the centre of the horizon.

Second attempt at above!

Close-up of cross-section of bridge.

I don't suppose road engineers are particularly religious but I'm sure the symbolism of this cross means more to them than it does to me!

Another view of the bridge with the 109 bus driving past in the direction of Fairyhouse.

And finally, for now anyway, a shot of what I assume is the river Tolka, flowing away from the camera, under the ramp leading up to the bridge from where the above photos were taken...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

I am working on this project and all the major work is now done.Since Saturday we can now drive the entire length of the motorway without having to use other roads,99 percent of the project is now covered in blacktop.Weather pending the motorway could be open by march 2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

thats four months ahead of schedule (july 2010 is the finish date that i have in my head). what about all the work that has to happen at clonee and also the toll booths still to be done at the southern toll? when are these supposed to be finished?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

THE CONTROVERSIAL M3 motorway in Co Meath, which has been the subject of several years of protests, is now almost 90 per cent complete, the National Roads Authority (NRA) has said.
    At almost 60km of main motorway and a further 40km of link roads and interchanges, the it is one of the longest motorways under construction in Europe.
    The M3 is not scheduled to open until July 2010. Work could still finish ahead of this scheduled date, but not before mid-spring next year, the NRA said.
    Beginning at Clonee, north of the Dublin-Meath border, it runs to Kells where it switches to a motorway-grade dual carriageway for the last 10km to the Cavan border. It will have two toll booths, charging €1.40 for cars. Dunshaughlin, Navan and Kells are bypassed along the route.
    Controversially, the route runs just over 2km from the Hill of Tara, and adjacent to the Lismullin national monument and the hill fort of Rath Lugh.
    Protesters have occupied these latter two sites, blocking the road’s construction at various times in recent years, most memorably in March last year when conservationist Lisa Feeney, known as “Squeak” shut herself inside a chamber at the bottom of a 33-foot tunnel at Rath Lugh for 60 hours.
    No protesters are currently blocking or picketing any part of the motorway, and Vincent Salafia of Tarawatch said that such action is unlikely to recur. “The frontline part of the campaign is pretty much over. There are people still protesting in the area, but not on the front line of the road. At this stage any protest on the road would be a largely symbolic gesture, but that doesn’t mean the campaign is over.”
    Recent changes to the criminal trespass laws had made such protests more difficult, Mr Salafia said, but he said Tarawatch was continuing to campaign against the road and hoped it might still be moved, even after its construction.
    Moving the road would be a possibility particularly if the Hill of Tara received Unesco World Heritage designation, Mr Salafia said. Tarawatch was also continuing to bring complaints against the NRA to EU bodies in relation to the destruction of ancient archaeology and heritage.
    Mr Salafia has criticised the cost to the taxpayer of the motorway. He said this will amount to €727.4 million over the life of the toll contract with Eurolink, which ends in 2052.
    However, NRA spokesman Seán O’Neill said Mr Salafia’s claims were a distortion of the facts. The road would cost about €720 million if Eurolink had not been involved and the cost was borne entirely by the State. “In fact only €250 million is being paid up front; the rest of the cost is being borne by the contractor . . . Distorting the figures doesn’t benefit the public, what benefits the public is the construction of a new, safe, value for money motorway.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0916/1224254649277.html

Apart from certain politicians, there are two people in Ireland who I wish would just disappear from public life, one is Declan Ganley (back like a bad penny)...and the other is Vincent Salifia. AFAIK, he lives in Churchtown so I don't think the noise of traffic from the M3 will keep him awake at night. If he had been successful in the early days of this protest, he would by now probably be involved in some other tree-hugging escapade in some other part of the country.
    There is a certain amount of justification in each of their stances but they are stretching their point way beyond public tolerance, I believe, so they have lost the sympathy vote. It's time to move on...

I was just reading this article in The Irish Times today. The aerial photo is of the Pace interchange and Dunboyne by-pass which only opened late last week.

The by-pass road is the road running up to the right hand corner of this photo. (Clonee is to the left, Dunshaughlin to the right of this photo. Centre right of the photo (brown area) is the future Pace station carpark, entrance from roundabout just off the main junction. You can also the frame work of the Pace station and the rail line which runs beneath the main interchange roundabout. It would be good to get this photo up here!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement