Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity medicine

Options
  • 30-08-2009 8:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello everyone!
    I am starting medicine at Trinity this September. Just wondering if there are any other Trinity medics on this forum? Very excited about starting and wondering how people have found the course. Any advice for incoming students?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭MrPain

Yep, I'm starting too, I guess I'll be seeing you around then:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Can I sit beside ye on the first day? :P

It'll be fun, surreptitiously trying to figure out who from the class is on boards without coming across as weird...

• Registered Users Posts: 35 billykwok

I think mardybumbum is a second year medic here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭flerb22

im a 4th med

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 emz4

Im startin 2! I kno no1 in d entire city so its a bit dauntin! Stayin in trinity hall tho! Cant wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I hate you all >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

emz4 wrote: »
    Im startin 2! I kno no1 in d entire city so its a bit dauntin! Stayin in trinity hall tho! Cant wait!
    Here's a tip, honey: learn how to write and spell properly. It's quite important in the adult world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 emz4

Wow, that is harsh! (note correct use of spelling)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Lek wrote: »
    Any advice for incoming students?

There is a certain anatomy lecturer with anger management issues.
    DO NOT TALK IN ANY OF HIS LECTURES

There is a certain anatomy lecturer with anger management issues.
    DO NOT TALK IN ANY OF HIS LECTURES

He is right, but a rather commical show for the rest of the class

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Lek

Oh dear about the anger issues. Will try to keep that in mind. Are there many international students on the course? The facebook group consists almost entirely of Canadians?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

Oh dear about the anger issues. Will try to keep that in mind. Are there many international students on the course? The facebook group consists almost entirely of Canadians?!

It takes all sorts to make trinity medicine... But seriusly if you have an anatomy lecturer that tells you not to talk, don't even whisper (or he WILL kill you)

Good luck to all ye little swats, I'm guessing that this year's first year medicine class will be about 70% + males. Also, don't believe a word mardybumbum says.... Complete Chancer :p

sd123 wrote: »
    It takes all sorts to make trinity medicine... But seriusly if you have an anatomy lecturer that tells you not to talk, don't even whisper (or he WILL kill you)

Good luck to all ye little swats, I'm guessing that this year's first year medicine class will be about 70% + males. Also, don't believe a word mardybumbum says.... Complete Chancer :p

He is right about mardybumbum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

MrPain wrote: »
    Yep, I'm starting too, I guess I'll be seeing you around then:)
    Mr Pain? God, make sure you never treat me with a name like that.

They're all postgrads too. As a matter of interest, do undergrads and postgrads attend lectures together or are they kept separate? I'd always thought that postgrad Medicine would be a completely separate course but the more I think about it the less sense that makes...
    sd123 wrote: »

Looks like we'll have to prey on the overflow of females in second year then :p
    Jammyc wrote: »
    Mr Pain? God, make sure you never treat me with a name like that.

"Doctor Pain, calling Doctor Pain to the Operating Theatre"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

As a matter of interest, do undergrads and postgrads attend lectures together or are they kept separate? I'd always thought that postgrad Medicine would be a completely separate course but the more I think about it the less sense that makes...

There are no postgraduate medical students in trinity college. Trinity college does not have postgraduate medical course.

They are postgrads in the sense that they have completed an undergraduate course, but when they come to trinity they do the exact same course as us.

Im 99% sure im right on that, although it is 4 in the morning, I am tired and tipsy so you may need to verify that from a more trustworthy source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 oogyoop

I'm a fourth med... scary that I'll be unleashed in less than two years (we started again on Monday).

No postgrad medical course - they were tossing the idea in the air for a while but it landed in the bin.

By the way... first year sucks ass so the drop-out rate is high enough relative to other medical years. Hang in there... it gets better fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

Pet wrote: »
    Here's a tip, honey: learn how to write and spell properly. It's quite important in the adult world.

pul ur hed aut ur ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I'll be joining ye in first med goys. It'll be lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jimdw

bythewoods wrote: »
    I'll be joining ye in first med goys. It'll be lovely.

I am sure it will haha :mad:
    I'm second med and I loved it, althought it might not be the case for everyone because I defered before i commenced medicine for one year doing EVERYTHING I ALWAYS WANTED ie doing f*cking nothing. yey life rules haha

With the lecturer with anger issues I can confirm: Keep your mouth shut or you are DEAD hamburger he will eat for lunch. He nearly made me do pressups on the very first day of college. To impress him you have to know everything in the book from cover to cover and swallow it, and say it was lovely, and if you don't, man you are f*cked.
    See you all suckers
    Having said that enjoy freshers week and try to get the best out of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MiniMed

Good luck to all of you starting/starting back. My advice is to get your hands on a few quality books (see my thread in the Books for Sale section). Oh that was shameless!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

stesh wrote: »
    pul ur hed aut ur ass.
    i cn mk my msg hrd 2 rd to if i wnt to b im n t a dmb **** lyk u r.

type it properly, it takes 30 seconds more and if you cant spell it, F7 spells for you

Got a call this morning, somehow neglected to put my PPS number on my Garda Vetting form *sigh*

Can't give it over the phone so they have to post it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Got a call this morning, somehow neglected to put my PPS number on my Garda Vetting form *sigh*

Can't give it over the phone so they have to post it back.

I did too actually, but I was up at Admissions handing it in and yer man noticed straight away, so I was able to stick it down and avoid a bit'a extra bother!

We'll make great Doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

bythewoods wrote: »
    I did too actually, but I was up at Admissions handing it in and yer man noticed straight away, so I was able to stick it down and avoid a bit'a extra bother!

We'll make great Doctors.
    well done getting trinity :)
    guess i wont be seeing you in brain and behavior:(
    glad you got your first choice you deserve it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

When is day 1 for all you guys?

Let us know how you get on over in the bio+med forum :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 katy123

How much work experience/what grades did all you guys get in order to be accepted?
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

katy123 wrote: »
    How much work experience/what grades did all you guys get in order to be accepted?
    :)
    I'm guessing you're unfamiliar with the Irish system. There are no requirements for work experience, person statements or interviews; entry is based on exam results and an admissions test called HPAT. Flick through this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 katy123

What results are needed in general? I'm taking it its only the highest grades possible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

There's a booklet available on the website of the CAO (Central Applications Office, where all applications to Irish universities are submitted).

Advertisement