Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random. Off topic and Broadcast Musing

Options
  • 02-07-2009 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭

During the debates relating to the Bill I do not recall any mention of Freesat etc.
    They spoke about pay sat services, analogue switch off in Wales and the non availability of UK tv along the east coast but their knowledge on free satellite appears to be non existant.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But the "non availability of UK tv along the east coast" is a myth.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055605025

watty wrote: »
    These are joke extra Radio services. Automation costing nearly nothing. At home people could get it at lower cost via Internet or Satellite.

Mt. Leinster isn't enough. Either you do a whole network with all the existing stations and proposed extra ones or else it's a fail. The current service makes no sense.

Either Really do National Digital Radio, or don't at all.
    Waterford City and Kilkenny are without 4fm...
    Speaks for itself as to the mindset at the BCI to be honest.

[not that I'd listen if It got past Bray but then...]

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

slegs wrote: »
    So they install the equipment, put all the transmission in place and test succesfully and then turn off.

Sorry, but I don't see this happening. If they already have all this is place it would not make sense to turn off based on power (these are not independent sites - there is already power bills so they wont save that much) and transmission (there are significant build costs that are spent - will the monthly backhaul costs save them that much?).

Wouldn't be the first time they've done it with a project.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

SRB wrote: »
    Wouldn't be the first time they've done it with a project.

The difference here is that the majority of the country could have a quality service without much extra effort/cost from RTE. All the main transmitters are active with I think > 75% population covered for the PSB services. The remaining transmitters to be rolled out were very low percentage pop coverage each and its understandable that the current economic climate would slow this down without the planned PAY TV revenue to RTENL.

They may not have any money to spend on capital rollout until the PAY TV provider comes in but it really would make no sense not to continue some momentum on this with the active transmitters and the PSB MUX.

If they shut it down then I give up on RTE, BCI and the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

slegs wrote: »
    The difference here is that the majority of the country could have a quality service without much extra effort/cost from RTE. All the main transmitters are active with I think > 75% population covered for the PSB services. The remaining transmitters to be rolled out were very low percentage pop coverage each and its understandable that the current economic climate would slow this down without the planned PAY TV revenue to RTENL.

They may not have any money to spend on capital rollout until the PAY TV provider comes in but it really would make no sense not to continue some momentum on this with the active transmitters and the PSB MUX.

If they shut it down then I give up on RTE, BCI and the government.

Yes they wouyld have no money it all goes to Gerry Ryan and co. :mad:

just a little rant here but i have hated RTE ever since they jammed the piraate kings Nova and Sunshine in the 1980s.

Shower of S**TS :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

These are joke extra Radio services. Automation costing nearly nothing. At home people could get it at lower cost via Internet or Satellite.

Mt. Leinster isn't enough. Either you do a whole network with all the existing stations and proposed extra ones or else it's a fail. The current service makes no sense.

Either Really do National Digital Radio, or don't at all.

Satellite for the masses isn't lower cost, as you have to remember that the general public do not use FTA gear they can tune channels to. They use Sky or grey market Freesat boxes; or FTA gear they don't know how to retune. A Sky EPG slot costs hundreds of thousands to buy these days.

Also, at least one of the services is far from automated, being presented (mostly live) all evenings and most of the weekend. That being Pulse. There are also presenters (which may or may not be voicetracked) on the other services at times.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Waterford City and Kilkenny are without 4fm...
    Speaks for itself as to the mindset at the BCI to be honest.

[not that I'd listen if It got past Bray but then...]

one of them isn't a city, though ;)

kilkenny is technically a city ...even if it's population is less than arklow...

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

IrishHomer wrote: »
    Yes they wouyld have no money it all goes to Gerry Ryan and co. :mad:

just a little rant here but i have hated RTE ever since they jammed the piraate kings Nova and Sunshine in the 1980s.

Shower of S**TS :mad:

Funny, was just talking about that today - June 1982 - "they" started "testing" on Nova's link from Herbert Street to Green Arces....seems like only yesterday !

kilkenny is technically a city ...even if it's population is less than arklow...

No, in law its a town with a preserved right to call itself a city, but not a city. Thats actually the legal standing!

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    No, in law its a town with a preserved right to call itself a city, but not a city. Thats actually the legal standing!
    Same as Newry then...
    Same difference.

Newry has 4fm though [just..]

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Can we, er, kill the Kilkenny debate now lads, the Politics board is available if you want to discuss the exact meaning of Section 10 (7) of the Local Government Act 2001 please.

I've made this sticky thread for Posts of a somewhat off topic nature.

We'll move posts that spoil the flow of threads here (Moderators' Decision Final), but feel free to post here too. A sort of Bar, but without actual Beer.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/0709/1224250318512.html

Instead of making good programs, raking in Advertising they want more of the Licence fee?
    It appears, from published accounts, that TV3 was purchased at a very high multiple and the acquisition financed almost entirely through bank debt: €140 million is owed to Anglo Irish Bank and €160 million owed in mezzanine funding to Mellon Corporation, giving total bank debt of about €300 million. It is estimated the annual interest bill in 2007 would have been of the order of €30 million if all covenants were met.

Even if the entirety of licence fee funding for 2008 was given to TV3, it would still have potentially challenging levels of debt. The company and its investors accepted the original licence and the business risks, and the new investors have done likewise since 2006. The Irish television licence fee-payer is now being asked to contribute more to TV3 in this scenario.

It's the same evils as have beset eircom. TV3 has it easier than RTE. Less conditions on programs. More Adverts allowed. It could be profitable. Basically the Parasitical "so called" investors borrowed to buy and want the licence fee to pay their debts.

Leveraged buyouts and all similar funding for takeovers should be illegal. It's not "Investing", it's "Asset stripping".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2009/0625/1224249507841.html

What really pissed me off about that article is the fact that the jornalist let McRedmond suggest that they had 26% of the audience. Even with 3e they only have 10% to 15% of the audience on average.

Maybe he is measuring non-pay TV analogue only households. Which if you add pirate cable, pirate MMDS, Off Air UK Terrestrial reception, Freesat, FTA and cancelled Sky Digiboxes still in use is maybe only 20%

They also won't include the 20% of population with NO TV3 analogue coverage!

So that gets you that

TV3 has 26% viewing on the percentage of analogue only viewers that can get TV3. (15% approx of population?)
    10% of the "multichannel" (free and pay TV) Market, 15% of payTV market?. (80%+ of Population?)

Just my thoughts...

Maybe he is measuring non-pay TV analogue only households. Which if you add pirate cable, pirate MMDS, Off Air UK Terrestrial reception, Freesat, FTA and cancelled Sky Digiboxes still in use is maybe only 20%

They also won't include the 20% of population with NO TV3 analogue coverage!

So that gets you that

TV3 has 26% viewing on the percentage of analogue only viewers that can get TV3. (15% approx of population?)
    10% of the "multichannel" (free and pay TV) Market, 15% of payTV market?. (80%+ of Population?)

Just my thoughts...

But sure than your really just using statistics for you own ends. I believe that McRedmond was talking about the best day that TV3 had had in 2009 which had them on 26% of the audience for one day during prime time, kind of like TG4 saying they have 7% of the audience because of St. Patrick's Day. Or RTÉ ONE saying they have 50% because of The Toy Show :rolleyes:

Of course perhaps he was taking about TV3 share of the Advertising revenue :) If the report had said 26% of the audience in 4 TV land fine but it didn't.

The monies we have secured from the BCI is less than half the reduction in government advertising on TV3 in the first half of 2009. The decision-making process is opaque and overall to date we have secured only 15 per cent of the fund. Our audience share is about 27 per cent. Not only should we be getting our share of audience, we should be getting way above that.

TV3 are actually getting their audience share of the BCI sound and vision fund. BBC should also be given 15%, UTV 7% and C4 7% NO QUESTIONS ASKED :rolleyes:

Oddly during the boom years most people wanted RTÉ to decentralize and sell its montrose land. But than that would have been just like when the sold cablelink a quick buck, with little future prospects. Of course at the time RTÉ wanted to retain its 25% share.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    But sure than your really just using statistics for you own ends. I believe that McRedmond was talking about the best day that TV3 had had in 2009 which had them on 26% of the audience for one day during prime time, kind of like TG4 saying they have 7% of the audience because of St. Patrick's Day. Or RTÉ ONE saying they have 50% because of The Toy Show :rolleyes:

Of course perhaps he was taking about TV3 share of the Advertising revenue :) If the report had said 26% of the audience in 4 TV land fine but it didn't.

Exactly.. My thoughts.

Statistics are useless without knowing where they come from and hwo they are gathered.

Ta. That's the article I was quoting and meant to link :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Statistics and hard facts were useless when McRedmond was in eircom, he simply lied through his teeth and the average Irish journalist uncritically wrote it down and never checked a thing :(

Why would it be different now he is lying for TV3 instead of eircom . ??

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Statistics and hard facts were useless when McRedmond was in eircom, he simply lied through his teeth and the average Irish journalist uncritically wrote it down and never checked a thing :(

Why would it be different now he is lying for TV3 instead of eircom . ??

Perhaps someone could explain to me why Irish Journalist don't ask difficult questions. Generally their hard questions of RTÉ are ones we already know the answer to and often are just asked to give a quick kick to RTÉ. In saying that I don't really understand why the Irish Times let RTÉ write a full article filled with its own PR, but it seems to be more truth in what they are saying.

However take the following from RTÉ responce: -
    It was notable in RTÉ’s view that TV3 secured BCI funds for highly populist programming such as Paul Williams’s series on gangland crime, Dirty Money.

I am sorry but the Licence Fee is used across RTÉ even for their populist programming.

The original reporter and the editor should both have been quick to point out TV3's erroneous statistics and RTÉ's superficial use of the licence fee.

I do agree that some of the funding that TV3 have received from the BCI for programming seems highly questionable: -

Something for the Weekend
    Some celeb Parents talking about their celeb kids
    Dirty Money
    Living with Murder

Why not just give TV3 some money towards The Apprentice and Total Exposure.

Alternatively why give them any money?

Alternatively why give them any money?

Cathal Goan: because it our money,

(PR gather round the DG)

Cathal Goan: my money sorry I mean my money

(PR gather round the DG again)

Cathal Goan: What RTÉ means to say is the public money for a public company.

David McRedmond: I successfully told you we successfully rolled out Broadband when I was in Eircom, I will now successfully tell you how successfully we are at rolling out DTT.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    Oddly during the boom years most people wanted RTÉ to decentralize and sell its montrose land. But than that would have been just like when the sold cablelink a quick buck, with little future prospects. Of course at the time RTÉ wanted to retain its 25% share.

The first reports of RTÉ submission to Dublin City Council's public consultation on the Draft Development Plan 2011 – 2017 in March appeared Tuesday 7th Jul (RTÉ, finfacts.ie, Herald.ie)
    Dublin City Council has confirmed that RTÉ has asked to have its lands rezoned for mixed use development, including housing.

In a letter to the Council, RTÉ's chief financial officer Conor Hayes said that half the 26 acres at Montrose is open space and parkland.

Hayes said recent development has made the Donnybrook area part of an extended city centre.

He said about the RTÉ's campus, that it could be harnessed to contribute to a more compact and sustainable urban environment.

The Council said the submission was received from RTÉ in response to a request as part of a public consultation on the new Dublin development plan.

RTE's letter to the council was in response to a letter the council sent to a number of service and utility providers, including RTE. At present, 50pc of the Montrose campus is occupied by a combination of Studio Production Facilities, office accommodation, storage and other facilities needed for the management and operation of RTE.

Last month (11th Jun) RTÉ were invited to discuss the Current Financial Situation within RTE by the Joint Committee on Communications. They forgot to mention their future rezoning intentions.
    Deputy Noel J. Coonan: ...
    Mr. Goan mentioned media reports. There was a strong report recently that RTE was about to enter into the property market in that it was about to sell off some of its lands in Donnybrook. Could Mr. Goan confirm or deny that and, if so, will he accept that RTE missed the boat in getting into the property market because if it had done that some years ago it would now be in a definite surplus position?

Deputy Noel J. Coonan: Mr. Goan has not answered the question on the disposal of assets.

Mr. Cathal Goan: I am glad the Deputy raised it. Once again, I take the opportunity to urge the members to believe nothing they read in the newspapers about RTE. They can at least have the comfort that when they listen to RTE, they are hearing their own voices.

In the case of RTE and property, there is not, now or in the immediate future, nor has there been in the recent past, any intention to dispose of property assets.

Deputy Noel J. Coonan: In the immediate future.

Mr. Cathal Goan: I will not say any more than that.

Hilarious.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    The first reports of RTÉ submission to Dublin City Council's public consultation on the Draft Development Plan 2011 – 2017 in March appeared Tuesday 7th Jul (RTÉ, finfacts.ie, Herald.ie)

Last month (11th Jun) RTÉ were invited to discuss the Current Financial Situation within RTE by the Joint Committee on Communications. They forgot to mention their future rezoning intentions.

I love committee meeting :D

I personally see the problem with it but I don't think why others should be so up in arms when often they wanted RTÉ to relocate based on property speculation.

I amn't talking about watty, people in general, newspapers and the like.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement