Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the most frightening thing that's ever happened to you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

doubtfir3 wrote: »
    Had an accident almost 9 years ago, completely fscked up my arms.

Had extensive injuries which required among other things arterial bypasses in my left arms and a lot of skin grafts. Long story short, graft broke down and tore out the bypass.. cue me lying on the kitchen floor with the whole floor covered in my blood while waiting patiently for an ambulance.

If that wasn't enough of a shock, next morning in the hospital doctors removed the pressure bandage and the last thing I remember before I passed out was one of them say in a high-pitched voice.. "o jesus, there's at least a pint here" as blood seeped all over the place :o
    Jesus christ! You win! Thats awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭quirkster

I was on a skiing trip with the family when I was 15. Staying near the Black Forest in Germany. The little snowboarder that I, I used to trek up to the ski slopes by my self in the morning. On our 2nd last morning there, I went up for one last session on les pistes. I went up really early to get the most out of my last day. The fog from the previous night hadnt blown on yet.
    Me being me, went up the highest and most difficult slope. Off I started anyway, bombing along, and I have this feeling after a few minutes that I should have reached the end by now. But it was so foggy I decided Id keep going and eventually Id reach the end....suddenly Im in the middle of a fcuking forest. The idiot inside me tells me to NOT turn around and walk back the way I know I came but to keep going.

Before I know it, Im deep deep deep (maybe 3/4 miles) down this little trail and there is no sign of life ANYWHERE. I was able to explain the situation to Dad on the mobile real quick before my credit ran out. I also got him to get the receptionist in the hotel to translate a sign I saw nailed to a tree. Turned out it read - 'Warning Bears'.

I was a very scared 15 year old when they found me huddled up 2 hours later :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭twinytwo

mathie wrote: »
    Your logic is flawless.

clearly... but you recall/reasoning is flawed... had you been on foot.. Usain Bolt couldnt outrun a bull elephant from 10 meters.. but then why you would be on foot in the first place... and if you were in a truck you wouldnt be running:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

I was held up in a garage I worked in years ago. Out of nowhere, he ran into the shop with a balaclava on, shouting and roaring and threatening me with a hammer.

I had served him in the shop about ten mins previous and he then hid behind the car wash until I was on my own. When he was in the shop, he had a look to see how much money was in the till - a fair bit. But between the time id served him and the time he tried to rob me, I had done a security drop of money. He didnt believe that I didnt have access to the safe and tried to hack the door in. He had the hammer to my head saying he was gonna smash my head in. He threw loads of stuff at me too.

Eventually he gave up and was chased away by some local lads. The pr1ck was caught in the end from our CCTV. He had only been out of mountjoy a week.:eek:

That was pretty scary tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 cozziej

jesus, david attenborough here....let people tell their stories...as long as they're entertaining i'm happy! i'm not gonna bring up a typo here and there...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Having my lungs collapse while I was driving my moped years ago. Heading from Glasnevin to Tallaght and about halfway I felt it happen (Happened a month earlier aswell, long story). When it happens one lung collapses and the opposite side of my body went numb, couldn't move a thing. Drove back, got to the front door and nearly ran the bike throught it. My bro came running out and threw me into his car and brought me to the hospital.

Got to A&E and told them what was going on, rushed me straight into an operating theatre type room. It was getting worse and the other half of my body was starting to go numb, doctor told me that he didn't know exactly what to do and someone was on their way from another hospital from somewhere else in the country. After a little chat and me having been awake for the last time it happened I told him exactly what I had seen. Local anestetic didn't work on me and I could feel every bit of pain as he start slicing open above my ribcage, tehre was a group of students in watching the procedure so I tried focusing on them instead of the pain, that was until he had to cut off some muscle before inserting a tube into my chest. Only got a morphene drip then, thats when the pain started to calm down.

For the next 6 months I was in and out of hospital with the same thing. Had to undergo 5 operations in total. But that time was the most painful, i thought I was going to die numerous times that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

^^ Holy f*ck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The coffee machine clapped out in my office this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Yeah; I really can't beat most of these stories, but here's my tuppence

I was about 12, my brother would have been 9.
    Basically, we had a problem with some white pigeons, they were nesting in some enclave (is that the right word?) under the roof. We found a bloke in the yellow pages that "dealt" with them. Unbeknownst to me, he said he'd pop round and sort it whenever he could.

So one day; mom, dad and my other brother (6 at the time) popped into Birmingham, this'd be about 9pm, winter so it was pitch black. In the living room, my brother notices through a gap in the curtains, a fella outside, so we both go and have a subtle peek. "It's a man with lots of tattoos and one ear!" he screams.

Then we looked a bit more.
    "HE'S GOT A GUN!!". Me and my brother legged it upstairs and hid under my mom and dad's bed. Through the window, we saw these big white things dropping. My brother was going ****ing mental. We waited until the shooting had stopped (went on for 5-10 minutes) and looked outside, found he'd gone.

Mom, dad and brother come back and we tell them what's happened. "****, it was that pigeon bloke wasn't it?" Me and my brother felt so relieved/stupid

Oh, and getting trapped in a car wash for an hour was quite scary

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Split condom. Caravan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,895 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Crashed my car years ago and ended up in the ditch trapped in the car, after banging my head, with no recollection of how I ended up there. My leg was sore so I ran my hand along it to see what the problem was, and managed to cut my finger on the bone sticking out of my thigh.

I had to be cut of the car and was in the car face down in the ditch with my full weight resting on thatg broken leg for an hour with my memory failing me every ten minutes or so. At the time I honestly thought I was going to die.

Even now its all patchy but I'll never forget the warm jelly like feeling of the muscle and then the sharpness of the bone as I felt along my leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Nameajaysus

Two of my sisters were walking near some trees. Some guy disturbed a wasp's nest and they chased them all the way back to the car. Had to go and get antihistamine shots from the doctor. They were only small :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I just scanned through the thread expecting to see a post from Flutt about being caught short with no toilet paper, but no, nothing. His standards are slipping! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I remember as a kid some random chap jumped out from behind a wall at me and a friend on our way home from school and scared the bejesus outta me... was told he thought we were his kids and he wanted to surprise them but it stayed with me for years and i was absolutely terrified everytime I saw him..it was the time when there were stories in school about "the blue van" with the kidnappers in it..

Also got into a bit of a mess in Oz in the sea trying to surf, not being able to swim didn't help. Really scared me...

Cant beat any of these stories before me though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Sage'sMama

May bank holiday last year got up off the couch and kicked a pint glass that was on the floor. It skidded along the floor and when i went to pick it up i lost my balance and landed on it with my right hand. Never have been so scared! I screamed like a banshee no messing and closed my hand into a fist as soon as i saw blood. I ran it under cold water screaming that i'd got an artery. My other half called 999 while i sat on the stairs screaming that the cat was gonna cut herself on the glass. I never saw so much blood in real life. We used two towels and two tea-towels to stem the blood all at the same time and it was still soaking through. Got in the ambulance and was brought to hospital and the nurse made me lie down and started to unwrap the towel. The blood just spurted everywhere all over her face and apron. The worse part was as soon as she loosened the towel i actually felt my hand split open as the warm blood flew out:eek:. Can't talk anymore about it makes me feel weird:(. My other half had the 999 call on his phone but he deleted it cos he couldn't bear to hear it. That's the scariest thing so far anyways! One pic of me with Sage after i got out of hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 emigrant36

jeeboz... some really scary stuff up there! I had asthma when I was younger, some pretty scary attacks. Thought I was cured, didn't have an attack since I was 12, then when I was twenty-one, driving in the middle of nowhere to leave my (very drunk) cousins home from a night out, I got a god-awful attack. I was terrfied :(
    Nothing as bad as my friend tripping at the very edge of the Cliffs of Moher though.. luckily he fell backwards (away from the drop).. but I actually peed myself a bit. Never bringing my children to that place!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

What's the most frightening thing that's ever happened to you?

Meeting the future mother in law. My gawd she was/is one ugly, fat lazy assed bitch.
    A degenerate gambler who dragged up her kids, blowing her and family money away, leaving them with barely enough food.

I set foot in her absolutely smelling filthy house once that time - and swore never again - and never did nor will.

She is still barred from my home!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Having a fusebox explode in my face a few months back really scared the crap out of me. No damage done just a sharp pain in my eyes and I was left with alot more respect for electricity.

It basically disintegrated the plastic casing and it made an electric arc which ran down a metal frame of a mirror which caused it to shatter.

Another crap time was when a dog chased me for 10 minutes until I managed to reach my house when I was 8, I hated dogs before that and still hate them to today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

ugh some of these are making me feel a bit sick

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

If anyones ever got bad news about a parent hanging on for life, its an experience that I wouldnt wish on my worst enemy.

Good news is that all ended well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭User Named

cliffs of moher definatly is not nice, i soldier crawled to the edge the time i went, worst is standing up on the hill and watching down on your family looking over the edge on a windy day. the thought of the place makes me sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Nothing that compares to some of these stories, but was on a school trip in Germany once and we went to an indoor snowboarding arena (fake snow). There were 2 slopes - a beginners one which was not steep at all, and an advanced one, which was a professional slope and was VERY steep. After only managing to get down the beginners slope without falling after about 20 efforts, me and a few others decided to try the advanced slope. As we were at the top, others in our class saw us and started coming too. As I was on my way down, suddenly I realised I was heading straight for a girl in my class. I veered to the left, and then saw that I was heading straight for another guy, so I veered left again, and i dont know if I veered too much to the side or I hit a lump of hard snow or something, but Ive been told I that I launched into the air at full speed, and at its height was about 10ft off the ground and landed down on the back of my neck. The next minute or so was the longest and most terrifying of my life. I couldnt move, I couldnt breathe. Others in my class were laughing and a teacher was giving out to me before they realised I was seriously hurt. Had to be taken to hospital in my snowboarding gear because they didnt want to move me too much! Got an x-ray in the most eerie, sterile looking hospital youve ever seen. Nothing damaged, but I was lucky I didnt break my neck. F*cking Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

When I was about 8 I was out playing with my friends and all the boys were climbing up a tree after much persuasion the convinced me to give it a go and showed me how to climb the tree. I was only about 8 feet high when the panic set in I froze and wouldn't get down for over an hour.

Then one of em got a bright idea to scare me down off the tree, He lit a big fire underneath it I oviously freaked out and was balling my eves out as the flames crept up the tree,

Then the rest of the boys got another great idea they's piss on the fire to put it out so here I am 8 year of age stuck in a flaming tree with about 4 lads taking turns of pissing up against the tree trying to put the fire out while I was in convulsions crying.

This went on for age until one of em finally accepted they were going to get into trouble and called a neighbour to put it out with a hose and help me down.

Getting mugged by a junkie holding a syringe and broken bottle to my throat ranks high on my list.

Having an Artic truck ram in the back of a car I was travelling in. My mum and I thought that my baby brother who was in the back was dead as there was'nt a sound from him. Was afraid to look back but thankfully he was fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Woke up one morning in bed beside a 22 stone girl.

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Woke up one morning in bed beside a 22 stone girl.

Jebus man, be thankful she did'nt roll over in the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Jebus man, be thankful she did'nt roll over in the night.

Much worse things happened that night, much worse.

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Much worse things happened that night, much worse.

Did you roll it in flour?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

twinytwo wrote: »
    clearly... but you recall/reasoning is flawed... had you been on foot.. Usain Bolt couldnt outrun a bull elephant from 10 meters.. but then why you would be on foot in the first place... and if you were in a truck you wouldnt be running:rolleyes:

No we were 10 metres away when I saw it.

I'm assuming the Elephant only charged at us to scare us away not to see if we were Olympic Gold medalists at the 100 metres sprint.

Or maybe I am dead as you say.And the only reason you can see this post is that you're Bruce Willis and this is the Sixth Sense.

And I'd much rather be brown bread than be Bruce Willis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

I got lost in thw Wicklow mountains, alone, at the age of 11. That was fun.

Advertisement