Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK then , what's your excuse for not voting ?

Options
  • 06-06-2009 12:51am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Lots of you didn't vote

why not ?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

see sig

(yes... i voted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

Most of my mates simply said they weren't bothered or else said they had no idea of who to vote for.

I did vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Lots of you didn't vote

why not ?
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

didn't register in time.

even if i had, i probably wouldn't have.

Defo would for general elections though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

Think my vote is back home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

I did not vote in protest of Fianna Fáil's handling of the current economic crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

My dog ate my vote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Because I couldn't vote for myself.

I did not vote in protest of Fianna Fáil's handling of the current economic crisis.

Maybe I'm missing something but you could have just not given Fianna Fáil candidates a vote and voted instead for someone else. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

tribulus wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something but you could have just not given Fianna Fáil candidates a vote and voted instead for someone else. :confused:

But then what if you think they are all as useless as each other?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Pulltheplug

If a meal is served above room temperature, it is called a "hot" meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

I voted for that Parodi one. I actually saw her straight after. She's a good looking woman.

jaffa20 wrote: »
    But then what if you think they are all as useless as each other?

I'd find it hard to believe that not one candidate stuck out even a slight bit from all the others but if it genuinely was the case then meh, not sure to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

not 18 yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I didnt vote cos a hooker used my polling card to blow cocaine up my bottom :o

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I didnt vote cos a hooker used my polling card to blow cocaine up my bottom :o
    Nose!!!!!!
    Ah feck I can't be arsed.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

My vote is at home. No offence to Dublin or anything, and it's all gravy, but there are no candidates up here that inspire my vote, whereas at home i can use my vote to keep a good man in a position to do good work.

So yeah, **** Dublin.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Combination of -
    - Can't be arsed
    - Not registered so I don't have to do jury duty
    - Lack of faith in modern politics
    - Can't be arsed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Have to laugh at the people who say they're all as bad as each other.. How could you possibly know that? It's a stupid stupid reason for not voting.

If it was possible for you to vote and you didn't then I'm sorry but you are an idiot.

SV wrote: »
    Have to laugh at the people who say they're all as bad as each other.. How could you possibly know that? It's a stupid stupid reason for not voting.

If it was possible for you to vote and you didn't then I'm sorry but you are an idiot.

This was already walked all over by Southpark in fairness, and personally i don't see the point in voting for someone, which to me means placing trust and an confidence for, who does not inspire. If no candidates inspire, then why should someone vote? If no one is offering those voters the type of work and effort they want to see at a Government level, why help to put in place someone else?

Serious question as i am starting to think a lot of the r-tards made it into office in the first place because of people "voting to vote".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I have never heard a genuine reason not to vote! In fact I have to say I think the worst reason I heard is " The Govt are crap so I am not voting" Dohh!!! There voteres will vote so all your doing is contributing to them getting back in. I would far more respect for those who say I could not be [EMAIL="ar@ed"]ar@ed[/EMAIL], but then I would remind them of this when complaining

The best one I head and its still the best and cannot be beaten is from a dozy rsf head in the pub last week " i am going to spoil my ballot by writing, no to the irish constitution,I dont believe in the Irish free state but if i lived in ....... I would vote for ......" So I argued that what if everyone else follows your lead in the area where X is and does not vote him. It will mess your politics up wont it! What could she say.

Its the one sided view of RSF in my opinion! Thank god the shinners copped on or we'd be screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I have little faith in them... they appear to suit only them selves. What can they offer?
    and my dog doesnt like them il trust a dogs instinks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Dragan wrote: »
    This was already walked all over by Southpark in fairness, and personally i don't see the point in voting for someone, which to me means placing trust and an confidence for, who does not inspire. If no candidates inspire, then why should someone vote? If no one is offering those voters the type of work and effort they want to see at a Government level, why help to put in place someone else?

Serious question as i am starting to think a lot of the r-tards made it into office in the first place because of people "voting to vote".

The south park episode was good but in fairness this isn't like the american presidency campaign(which is what that episode was about) where there's really only 2 people you can choose from.
    Nearly everyone running has a realistic chance of getting in to be honest.
    The reason half of these idiots are in right now is because of children voting for what their parents are voting for and their parents parents etc.

If this trend is broken I'd bet a lot of money on seeing some good changes, but maybe i'm just being optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I hadn't a clue what the candidate were hoping to provide with the help of my vote. If i'm not informed by the people running for election why should I throw a way a vote to something I have no idea about ?

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I hadn't a clue what the candidate were hoping to provide with the help of my vote. If i'm not informed by the people running for election why should I throw a way a vote to something I have no idea about ?

Becuase, according to some people you can vote for the "other guys", that is to say, you can vote the way these people want you to vote, but if you vote for the guys that these people don't like, then you ALSO wasted your vote and are a moron.

It seems to only way to deal with this issue is for the hardest hitting and most vitriolic people on AH who want us all to vote regardless come up with a list of people that it is okay to vote for so that we may finally do the right thing and will no longer need to be referred to as "morons", "spanners" etc.

I assume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

Pyr0 wrote: »

you can always inform yourself of these things if you're bothered/interested. local papers, leaflets through doors etc give you an idea of local candidates main focuses. sometimes its up to the electorate to inform themselves

I voted for a few independent local candidates in an attempt to help change the usual FF domination. if you're (general you) are unhappy with the situation you'd be silly not to use your vote to try change it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Pro-tip: Southpark is two angry libertarians on a soap box. Taking your political cues from them is asinine at best.

There is this fantastic concept called self-education. It means that instead of waiting for information to fall into your lap, you can actively go out and seek it yourself.

Fucking shocking, i know, but trust me it's real.

Pro-tip: Southpark is two angry libertarians on a soap box. Taking your political cues from them is asinine at best.

*yawns* I was merely saying to leave the whole "both parties are nothing but morons" thing at the door and actually look and see if going past the "all politicians are scum" slogan which is so popular and looking at the actual candidates floats people boats at all.

So to break it down a bit more, if you look at the candidates and what they are running for, not WHO they are running for, and no one inspires you to vote....why should you vote for any of them?

Which part of "walked all over" implied i was using the Southpark analogy as being in any way a good thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Disky

Why did I not vote??

Well what are the choices:

Scumbag number 1
    Scumbag number 2
    and so on.

Anyway, I run my life as I see fit, I don't need no "authority figure" telling me what is best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

So to break it down a bit more, if you look at the candidates and what they are running for, not WHO they are running for, and no one inspires you to vote....why should you vote for any of them?

All that tells me is that you're not looking hard enough. Unless your local candidates are hitler, genghis khan, hanibal lector and good ol' uncle Joe stalin then the whole "ohh no one inspires me" is usually people just pretending that they looked.

I don't buy that for one goddamn second.

Advertisement