Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabout Rules Changed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Ok, if we're going with generalisations, when I'M using the correct lanes on roundabouts, it's always MALE muppets in souped up jap imports/german show off cars who cut me off when i'm indicating to take my exit, doing the whole "move or be moved" bully tactics. Maybe you have not seen a guy do it cos ur too busy looking for a woman driver to criticise.

But Silvervixen, while I agree with you about the stupidity of using generalisations like these (I've seen as many bad male drivers as bad female drivers), I think in this case you may have a point. Some men find roundabouts to have the same effect on them as women. They know they are unpredictable and shouldn't be taken for granted. When they are around them they get confused and either act too aggressively or lack confidence. Then as they become so overwhelmed by the whole affair they start to send the wrong signals. On top of that at the back of their mind they are aware that the closer they get to one the more likely it is that someone is going to get hurt. At least that's what I've gleaned from this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭youtheman

churchview wrote: »
    I don't get you? The approaching driver, if in the left lane, shouldn't indicate until they've passed the exit just before the exit that they are going to leave the roundabout by.

WRONG - WRONG - WRONG

If you are taking the first exit then you have to indicate LEFT as you approach the roundabout. If you don't then any vehicle waiting to enter the roundabout from this exit has to wait unnecessarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

youtheman wrote: »
    I don't get you? The approaching driver, if in the left lane, shouldn't indicate until they've passed the exit just before the exit that they are going to leave the roundabout by.

WRONG - WRONG - WRONG

If you are taking the first exit then you have to indicate LEFT as you approach the roundabout. If you don't then any vehicle waiting to enter the roundabout from this exit has to wait unnecessarily.

Erm. Its not talking about the first exit. Its talking about others. You jumped in a bit early there.

edit: I read what you quoted from. My bad, his worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Untitled-2.jpg

On this dual lane roundabout which of these options is the correct one given the starting point is a single lane and ending point is dual lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

to be honest with you guys......i always tend to go to the outside lane no matter what exit im taking, i just feel its safer....and i've never had any probs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bikki

fryup wrote: »
    to be honest with you guys......i always tend to go to the outside lane no matter what exit im taking, i just feel its safer....and i've never had any probs

Well ur wrong and shouldnt be driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Untitled-2.jpg

On this dual lane roundabout which of these options is the correct one given the starting point is a single lane and ending point is dual lane.

Id go right hand lane there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

fryup wrote: »
    and i've never had any probs

You don't have problems, you just cause problems for the rest of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

IT IS ok to take the third exit of a Roundabout while using the left lane IF that exit is to the left or straight.

Have a look at the Rules of the Road.

Whether it's the first, second, third or thirty-third exit is an irrelevance. It's left, straight and right.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

The whole first, second and then the clock thing just confuses the issue.

Completely agree with you about Galway Drivers - a nightmare there!

The problem is that in many areas of the country the driving testers use the "right hand lane for 3rd exit AND anything past 12 o clock". Mine did

Where as you have correctly pointed out that's not what the rules of the road say.

Also roundabouts are a cheap lazy solution that gives equal priority to every entrance independent of traffic volume on those entrances.

• Advertisement

Untitled-2.jpg

What does the sign for the roundabout show the exit as, straight on, or slightly to the right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

The RSA really need a campaign to teach people about how to use roundabouts. Their ROTR example is completely useless as 90% of the roundabouts in this country do not conform to the 4 compass points modle.

Its got to a stage that I will judge the taffic at the roundabout before I approach. If they are all in the left lane and the most major exit is the second exit but obviously to the right then I will just take the left lane along with the rest of the sheep. I know its wrong and I should be in the right lane but I can guarantee that would result in an accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,487 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Slig wrote: »
    The RSA really need a campaign to teach people about how to use roundabouts. Their ROTR example is completely useless as 90% of the roundabouts in this country do not conform to the 4 compass points modle.

They do need to do that, but imagine the amount of different ads required to sort out all the different types of roundabouts:D

IT IS ok to take the third exit of a Roundabout while using the left lane IF that exit is to the left or straight.

Have a look at the Rules of the Road.

Whether it's the first, second, third or thirty-third exit is an irrelevance. It's left, straight and right.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/roundabouts.html

The whole first, second and then the clock thing just confuses the issue.

Completely agree with you about Galway Drivers - a nightmare there!

Thought this post pretty much nailed it tbh

Vegeta wrote: »
    Thought this post pretty much nailed it tbh

They have comissioned tv ads to demonstrate how to approach a junction FFS. Roundabouts are very clear cut to anybody that bothers to read the ROTR(everybody got a free copy). Unfortunately alot of people dont and instead just rely on the fact that the way they have always done it is automatically right and anybody that does it differently is an idiot and needs to be ran off the road.

I live in a fairly rural location and when I come to a roundabout it is literally take your chances, there are no indicators, no yielding to on coming traffic, no lane dicipline and if somebody pulls out infront of you they dont brake they use the horn.

Its only thursday and already this week I have seen 3 instances of a car (the same car) swerving around islands and oncoming traffic in order to drive the wrong way around the roundabout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 james08

I remember i was driving through sligo a few months back and met a car going in the wrong direction on the roundabout!! I had to avoid the car or a serious crash would have happened... there are some mental drivers out there!

Jumpy wrote: »
    youtheman wrote: »

Erm. Its not talking about the first exit. Its talking about others. You jumped in a bit early there.

edit: I read what you quoted from. My bad, his worse.

No, you're both reading me wrongly, just to win an argument on a board. Obviously, my post refers to other than taking the first exit. For the first exit obviously you indicate before entering the roundabout, but that's not the ponit I was making. But hey, you both feel like you've won an argument :rolleyes:

They have comissioned tv ads to demonstrate how to approach a junction FFS. Roundabouts are very clear cut to anybody that bothers to read the ROTR(everybody got a free copy). Unfortunately alot of people dont and instead just rely on the fact that the way they have always done it is automatically right and anybody that does it differently is an idiot and needs to be ran off the road.

I live in a fairly rural location and when I come to a roundabout it is literally take your chances, there are no indicators, no yielding to on coming traffic, no lane dicipline and if somebody pulls out infront of you they dont brake they use the horn.

Its only thursday and already this week I have seen 3 instances of a car (the same car) swerving around islands and oncoming traffic in order to drive the wrong way around the roundabout!

Oh don't get me wrong I fcuking hate them with a passion and think the NRA should only be allowed to use them as a last resort, not the first.

I was just pointing out that it doesn't matter the example in the ROTR only has 4 entrances/exits (it covers all types by the language used), the problem is people are being thought by driving instructors and tested to a different set of rules and people who know how to use a roundabout have to drive incorrectly to accommodate for that, like in your examples

I did my test just 20 months ago and I was thought completely differently to the ROTR (because the instructor knew how the tester operated) and therefore passed my test no problem at all.

I think the first step they need to carry out is making sure testers are testing to the RoTR

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ok, if we're going with generalisations, when I'M using the correct lanes on roundabouts, it's always MALE muppets in souped up jap imports/german show off cars who cut me off when i'm indicating to take my exit, doing the whole "move or be moved" bully tactics. Maybe you have not seen a guy do it cos ur too busy looking for a woman driver to criticise.

Or maybe its because I call the little prat on his bluff. And they always back down.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Oh don't get me wrong I fcuking hate them with a passion and think the NRA should only be allowed to use them as a last resort, not the first.

I was just pointing out that it doesn't matter the example in the ROTR only has 4 entrances/exits (it covers all types by the language used), the problem is people are being thought by driving instructors and tested to a different set of rules and people who know how to use a roundabout have to drive incorrectly to accommodate for that, like in your examples

I did my test just 20 months ago and I was thought completely differently to the ROTR (because the instructor knew how the tester operated) and therefore passed my test no problem at all.

I think the first step they need to carry out is making sure testers are testing to the RoTR

Sorry I took you up wrong, I agree completely, everybody should be taught correctly and to the same standard.
    Unfortunately the afore mentioned daft biddy in her micra is a long time out of school and the only way she will further her driving education is if Uncle Gaybo tells her how to do it right during the ads in Fair City.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I've said it before and will say it again.

This could easily be solved by correct signage as to what lane to be in well in advance of the roundabout. Not when it's too late, not a half worn out arrow on the road right at the entrance that you can't see in traffic, a sign - on a pole - in advance!

It's one thing the Americans do well, while they don't have many roundabouts or 'rotary junctions' as they're called, there's never any doubt as to which lane to take at any junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I actually contacted the RSA about lines and especially on roundabouts. I knew they could not do anything themselves but hoped maybe they would pass on to whoever is best.

They sent it on to the NRA and in fairness i got a response but it pretty much said that they will not be adding lines and better signs to roundabouts (or any other junctions) and that its up to road users to obey the rules of the road....

Would be grand if Irish people knew the rules of the road i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Saruman wrote: »
    Would be grand if Irish people knew the rules of the road i suppose.

I'm afraid that I am guilty of using the right hand lane while going straight through certain roundabouts - like the one I mentioned earlier - the N11 to the M11 at Shankill. Traffic would be backed up for miles if only the left hand lane was used for the first two exits.

Im not sure of that one, if there are two exit lanes then its perfectly fine and safe but if only one then it would be pretty dangerous if someone to your left is there at the same time... if there is an accident it would be you that gets done on the insurance as you were in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,249 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Yeah - it's dual carriageway approaching it, and a motorway slip road on the exit - here it is on google maps.

From what i can see, all approaches and exits are two lanes so being in the right lane and going straight ahead would be fine, especially if the left lane is blocked.

You are fine as long as some muppet in the left lane does not go around to the right.. in which case its his fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

I just passed my Advanced Driving Test there a few weeks back and the instructor during the tutorial categorically stated that on a major roundabout its the left hand lane for the 1st two exits unless markings and signage say different.

Case in point is the Manor Roundabout (3 exit roundabout) on the Derry/Letterkenny Road. When approaching from Derry the exit for Letterkenny is the 2nd exit, which is to the right (if there was no roundabout it would be a T-junction). He specifically said to approach in the left hand lane even though 95% of the drivers taking this exit use the right hand lane on approach from Derry (even though there are no markings/signage to this effect).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

They have recently made three mini-roundabouts on Cornelscourt Hill Road.
    I have had two near misses where morons going the opposite direction turn right just as I am entering the tiny roundabout but dont indicate. They must think that I am able to read their minds or something?
    The roundabouts are so small that there is no room to manuver at all.
    It's getting to the stage now where I will always pause before entering the roundabout to see where oncoming traffic is going to go.

EDIT to add: In my nearly 35 years of driving I have twice seen people reversing on a roundabout because they have missed their turn. I kid you not. One was a very elderly lady so she had some excuse, but the other was a big ****in' lorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

SteveC wrote: »
    I've said it before and will say it again.

This could easily be solved by correct signage as to what lane to be in well in advance of the roundabout. Not when it's too late, not a half worn out arrow on the road right at the entrance that you can't see in traffic, a sign - on a pole - in advance!

It's one thing the Americans do well, while they don't have many roundabouts or 'rotary junctions' as they're called, there's never any doubt as to which lane to take at any junction.

You would think, alright.

However, you have clearly never used the Spawell roundabout from the Wellington Road side. Two lanes approaching the roundabout, with two signs on poles clearly stating that the left lane can go left (1st exit) or straight ahead (2nd exit) and the right lane can go straight ahead (2nd exit) or right (3rd exit). However, I would say that about 80% of drivers in the left lane blithely sail past the second exit and onto the 3rd one, cutting straight across anyone in the right lane who was planning to take the second exit.

It absolutely makes my blood boil, and even more infuriatingly, I've actually been beeped by these f*cking idiots for "getting in the way" when taking the 2nd exit from the right lane.

• Advertisement

I just passed my Advanced Driving Test there a few weeks back and the instructor during the tutorial categorically stated that on a major roundabout its the left hand lane for the 1st two exits unless markings and signage say different.

Case in point is the Manor Roundabout (3 exit roundabout) on the Derry/Letterkenny Road. When approaching from Derry the exit for Letterkenny is the 2nd exit, which is to the right (if there was no roundabout it would be a T-junction). He specifically said to approach in the left hand lane even though 95% of the drivers taking this exit use the right hand lane on approach from Derry (even though there are no markings/signage to this effect).

Well guess what, he could be wrong!

Check out the Rules of the Road - he is!

Was it IAM or ROSPA?

Advertisement