Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air Traffic Controller

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭conormurphy

The age limit for becoming an air traffic controller is 30 and I doubt he was 15 when he done his leaving cert

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

he = me

I was 16 when I did my LC

Don't think I would have made it through if I was too old

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭the beerhunter

you may be thinking of nats. there's no upper age limit in ireland - i have over 30 laps of the sun safely under my belt, but i'm definitely not the oldest starting in co. clare next monday.

i also had to fish my leaving cert results out of the archives. find the dept of education website and you'll track down directions on that fairly handily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭expediateclimb

How many women on the course? Does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

you may be thinking of nats. there's no upper age limit in ireland - i have over 30 laps of the sun safely under my belt, but i'm definitely not the oldest starting in co. clare next monday.

You talking about me.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

How many women on the course? Does anyone know?

2 at the first open day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭turtleshead

I got to the last 100 (final interview) but didnt get in, but thinking back to the aptitude test there were some cracking looking women at it. Suprised I managed to concentrate enough to pass the thing.

loads of wimmin on the course. all picked for the size of their chest. and all *convinced* that it's the best way to pick up fellas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭conormurphy

Well,

It was NATS from which I received the information...

By the way, how many people applied in total for this year?

Were you in a career before you started this training?

How well did you do in your leaving cert? (i know that you need 5 honours but what did you get and do better results help to determine whether you make it?)

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 TheMasterG

Conor, the requirements from the IAA are a fair bit different than NATS, only one honour needed here, in Maths, and no upper age limit as previously mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Hi Master G,

Do you work for NATs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 TheMasterG

Nope, just remember the info from the advertisements...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Libra

Hey you guys!
    Just joined Boards. Was just wondering if anyone knows if there is going to be more recruiting this year for the Air Traffic controller programme? i only started enquiring about two weeks ago and it looks like i may have missed my opportunity last year.

hey libra. there are more classes in the pipeline, but don't know when iaa will get bored with the last pool formed and go fishing for a new one. there's an email address on their website you can send your details to and they'll notify you when running a competition again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 rosco263

any idea when the next classes are due to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Hi All,

Does anyone know what the educational requirements are for Eurocontrol? They ask for copies of leaving certificate and any further education.

Nothing specified about the requirements though.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Im just wondering how the successful air traffic controllers are getting on. Is it tough and would they go for it again? Thanks.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Any word on whether there will be any futher recruitment of student controllers?

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Any word on whether there will be any futher recruitment of student controllers?

Check out the jobs.ie page. There was an ad there yesterday for "Aeronautical Radio Officers". Training to be done in Newmarket-on-Fergus. Hope this is what you're looking for. Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 irishatco

Current economic conditions mean nobody really knows how busy we are going to be in the next few years, the IAA are forecasting a 6% drop in traffic IIRC. There is still a need for students to be recruited and trained, with a large number of retirements on the horizon, but the company is considering a move towards single person operated radar sectors which they intend will reduce the number of staff required anyway.

There are an undetermined number of direct entry controllers to commence training in the coming months, though how many of those will complete their training is anyone's guess (Dublin has lost 3 of the 6 recruited during rating training)

In all likelihood the next class of students will be taken from the same recruitment pool as the class currently working it's way through the training school, so if you didn't apply for SCP7 then you may face a long wait. Send a CV to HR anyway and ask that you be considered for any future recruitment drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 irishatco

Mollywolly wrote: »
    Check out the jobs.ie page. There was an ad there yesterday for "Aeronautical Radio Officers". Training to be done in Newmarket-on-Fergus. Hope this is what you're looking for. Good luck :)

That role is not the same, radio officers are responsible for relaying control instructions from the Prestwick Oceanic Area Control Centre in Scotland, not for controlling traffic themselves.

Here's the wiki for Shanwick Oceanic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanwick_Oceanic_Control

And some IAA blurb: http://www.iaa.ie/index.jsp?p=140&n=154

Job description: http://www.iaa.ie/files/20081210021311Job%20Description%20RO.pdf

Advertisement