Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parliamentary Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Asked for Wednesday (and some for Thursday):
    *313. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of An Garda Sıochana firearms stolen, reported stolen, missing or otherwise unaccounted for in each of the years 2004 to date in 2008; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Charles Flanagan. [46725/08]
    19. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of handguns that have been reported as stolen each year for the years 2004 to date in 2008; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Catherine Byrne. [47137/08]
    If answered the way it's asked, it'll be interesting - but I'll bet we'll instead see the answer to the question the Minister would have liked to have been asked :(
    *331. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the steps he will take to deal with the problems for communities created by the actions of anti-social teenage gangs, particularly having regard to recent evidence that some of these gangs may be able to access firearms; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Pat Rabbitte. [47080/08]
    Again, could be of interest, but I'll bet it'll just be another outrageous "I'll ban legal handguns" answer :(
    *421. To ask the Minister for Defence the number of Defence Forces firearms stolen, reported stolen, missing or otherwise unaccounted for in each of the years 2004 to date in 2008; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Charles Flanagan. [46726/08]
    Another potentially interesting question...
    49. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform his legislative and action based plans to clamp down on the growing prevalence of firearms; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Arthur Morgan. [46624/08]
    Obvious enough answer there...
    *339. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of unlawful killings caused by the use of legally or illegally held handguns in each of the past six years to date; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Bernard J. Durkan. [47232/08]
    If answered with two figures, that should prove of note. Odds that it will be? :D:(
    8. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of licensed handguns in respect of each year from 2002 to date in 2008; the number of licensed handguns that were reported as stolen; the number of such stolen guns that were subsequently used in crimes; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Joe Costello. [46740/08]
    I wonder if the figures will be different here again as they were between June and October!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

Sparks wrote: »
    Asked for Wednesday (and some for Thursday)

Our letters are working. There's no way these questions would be asked under the normal run of business. I've been in contact with Charles Flanagan through my local TD. They (politicians) do listen a lot of the time, the cynical among us have all the answers from their seats on the ditch. Our elected representatives have sports and interests too, many of them see our frustration and are asking the difficult questions. I don't expect any of them to say "I love firearms me", but they'll do what they can, within their political circles and they sure as f*ck won't do or say anything if they don't know they have unhappy constituents.

I know for a fact that'll I'll vote for, if not campaign for, my local guy if he helps me out with this. This is my sport, I've been doing one form or another of it for 17 years and I hope I have a lot of years shooting and voting left in me!

Please keep writing to your elected reps, read the correspondence out loud before you send it and consider what your reaction would be if it were addressed to you......:)

For those on the ditch, try golf or at least shut up, I'm sick listening to you.

If I hear one more person saying, "oh sure what good would writing in do, they couldn't care less, they're all the same" :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

As for that question 421. The answer is zero. The controls in place for DF weapons are too tight to let anything go wrong really. If one goes missing some how alot of people won't sleep till its found. I spent enough time searching for missing magazines and gas plugs to tell you that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭meathshooter

Tribunius wrote: »
    As for that question 421. The answer is zero. The controls in place for DF weapons are too tight to let anything go wrong really. If one goes missing some how alot of people won't sleep till its found. I spent enough time searching for missing magazines and gas plugs to tell you that.
    I think you are wrong there I remember reading that live rifles where swicthed with replicas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I think you are wrong there I remember reading that live rifles where swicthed with replicas

I think that's been refuted as being untrue. I believe there's more detail on the military forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

rrpc wrote: »
    I think that's been refuted as being untrue. I believe there's more detail on the military forum.
    Yep, see this thread-
    Irish Army missing Styers??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Tribunius wrote: »
    I spent enough time searching for missing magazines and gas plugs to tell you that.

And don't forget the split collars in the MAG. They'd go anywhere.

Not sure exactly what happened with the questions listed above, but some were down to be answered today (I'll post those soon as I seem them) and some for tomorrow; but it seems they've rereleased the questions for tomorrow as well, so here they are.

For priority oral answer - ie, the first question asked, and asked directly to the Minister as he stands there in the Dail:
    1. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the action he proposes to take in the context of the recent murder of a law-abiding citizen in inner city Dublin and the evidence from this murder that a serious societal problem exists whereby antisocial behaviour is rife in certain areas and is capable of escalating into serious violence and even murder, the easy availability of dangerous offensive weapons and the failure of legislative measures aimed at tackling antisocial behaviour measures to date. — Charles Flanagan. [47434/08]
    I suspect we'll find we're dragged into that one.

Also for oral answer, but which could be shunted to written answers:
    13. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of licensed handguns in respect of each year from 2002 to date in 2008; the number of licensed handguns that were reported as stolen; the number of such stolen guns that were subsequently used in crimes; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Joe Costello. [46740/08]
    This has been asked before, but the gardai have always said they don't track this sort of thing.
    24. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of handguns that have been reported as stolen each year for the years 2004 to date in 2008; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Catherine Byrne. [47137/08]
    The thing to watch for here is that this was asked in June and October, with different answers given on both occasions. Will this give us a third set of figures or agree with one or the other of the previous sets?
    33. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of juveniles who came into conflict with the law for possession of firearms and knives in eacah of the years 2000 to 2008; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Tom Hayes. [47164/08]
    Of interest only because juviniles can't possess firearms so it gives a sense of the scale of the actual problem.
    39. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform when the indoor firearms training range at Garda Headquarters in Phoenix Park Dublin was closed down because of ricochet and other problems; the reason there has been such a delay in bringing the firearms range up to standard; and the timetable proposed for such work. — Jim O’Keeffe. [46529/08]
    Of interest because centrefire ranges could step in here for the Gardai, thus improving relations.
    43. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform his proposals in respect of prohibiting handguns; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — John Deasy. [47148/08]
    Kindof a rote question by this point.
    46. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the action he proposes to take to combat the rise of criminal activity in all areas here with particular reference to tackling gun crime and the increasing use of illegally held weapons in homicides; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Bernard J. Durkan. [47120/08]
    Also rote - I suspect some of these will get rolled into one and answered as one (which means the answer will suffer badly from jack-of-all-trades syndrome).
    54. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform his legislative and action based plans to clamp down on the growing prevalence of firearms; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Arthur Morgan. [46624/08]
    66. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if he will confirm that Garda personnel are barred from imputing incidents directly in the Garda PULSE system and that they must instead phone the details through to an office in Castlebar County Mayo; if he has satisfied himself that this is the best use of resources having regard to the fact that members of the force were trained to do this task; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Pat Rabbitte. [46733/08]
    Now that one's interesting - do they have to do the same for us for licencing?

The rest are for written answer:
    *240. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of persons allegedly involved in gun crime including murder who have received bail in the past 12 months; if such persons have re-offended while on bail; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Bernard J. Durkan. [47634/08]
    This is one of those context things - how can gun crime be so serious that you're banning a sport to try to stop it, if at the same time you're letting the few you catch go, and so on.
    *243. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if an estimate has been undertaken to identify the number of weapons available for gangland killings; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Bernard J. Durkan. [47637/08]
    Three years ago, the Gardai estimated this number as being in and around 5,000. This is of interest to us as it puts into context the number of firearms we own. If we have a total of 600 or so fullbores (that's just a guess), then it's not much compared to 5,000 fullbore pistols illegally held...
    *244. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the action he proposes to take against persons carrying illegally held handguns having particular regard to his concern at the number of legally held and registered handguns; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Bernard J. Durkan. [47638/08]
    Ah - this is interesting - it's the "what are you going to do to enforce the laws we already have" question, at last!
    *257. To ask the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism his views on whether the decision to cut funding to the Irish Sports Council and to sport in general despite the fact that obesity levels here are quickly rising was a short term money saving exercise which will have a significant impact on the nation’s health; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Mary Upton. [47580/08]
    Holy crap, a sports question :D

Answers up:
    313.Deputy Charles Flanagan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of An Garda Síochána firearms stolen, reported stolen, missing or otherwise unaccounted for in each of the years 2004 to date in 2008; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [46725/08]
    Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): The information requested will take time to be compiled. I will forward the answer to the Deputy in due course.
    339. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of unlawful killings caused by the use of legally or illegally held handguns in each of the past six years to date; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [47232/08]
    Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): The following table contains the number of cases of murder and manslaughter recorded in which firearms were used for the years 2003 to 2007 and in 2008 up to 30 September.

The number of cases of murder and manslaughter recorded in which firearms were used for the years 2003 to 2007 and in 2008 up to 30 September
    Year|Recorded
    2008*|13
    2007|18
    2006|27
    2005|23
    2004|9
    2003|21

*Figures provided are provisional, operational and liable to change.

I have sought further information from An Garda Síochána in relation to the types of weapons used and will communicate further with the Deputy.
    421. Deputy Charles Flanagan asked the Minister for Defence the number of Defence Forces firearms stolen, reported stolen, missing or otherwise unaccounted for in each of the years 2004 to date in 2008; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [46726/08]

Minister for Defence (Deputy Willie O’Dea): There are controls in place to ensure that there can be no interference to inventoried weapons assigned to a Unit of the Defence Forces. All weapons are stored in sound and secure premises where access is restricted to designated personnel. There are frequent and detailed inspections of the serial-numbered assets and items of controlled stores.

Defence Force Regulation L2 on Weapons, Ammunition, Explosives and Other Items of Ordnance and Defence Force Regulation S2 on Financial and Accounting Instructions comprehensively outline the schedule of checking required in respect of all serial-numbered items. There are no reports of firearms belonging to the Defence Forces having been stolen or reported missing as stolen from stores within the State and no weapons are unaccounted for.

The following weapons have been reported as stolen/missing from the Defence Forces during the period 2004 to 2008: Steyr Rifle from KFOR in Kosovo in March 2004. Walter PPK 9mm Pistol from UNMIL in Liberia in September 2004. Steyr rifle was lost overboard at sea from the LE Aisling in July 2006. HK 9mm Pistol from the 97th Infantry Battalion in Chad in July 2008. Each of the above incidents has been investigated. The location of the rifle lost at sea is known but the rifle cannot be recovered. In each of the other incidents the stolen or missing firearms have not been recovered.

So the number of murders with firearms have been falling since the high of 27 in 2006. That's interesting, you'd think it was increasing.

Interesting also that there were as many in the two years before handguns were first licensed as there were in the last two years when the most were licensed.

Just proves that there's no link (which we knew already).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,952 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Indeed,that should put the myth of the missing/ replaced soft air AUGS to bed.
    So now we have the stats of firearm murders in the 04/08.
    Now lets have this for criminal murders with illegal unliscensed firearms,and murders with liscensed firearms,by firearm owners,or stolen legal firearms.
    Think that is now the nub of the matter.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Why do you think he cannot get the information on the number of garda firearms missing?

First answer up, but not as much in it relating to us as we feared there might be:
    1. Deputy Charles Flanagan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the action he proposes to take in the context of the recent murder of a law-abiding citizen in inner city Dublin and the evidence from this murder that a serious societal problem exists whereby anti-social behaviour is rife in certain areas and is capable of escalating into serious violence and even murder, the easy availability of dangerous offensive weapons and the failure of legislative measures aimed at tackling anti-social behaviour measures to date. [47434/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): The House had the opportunity last week to express its abhorrence at the killing of Mr. O’Kane. A person has been charged in connection with this killing and the Garda investigations are continuing. Consequently, I am greatly constrained in what I can say about the specific incident.

The criminal use of firearms is very serious and is tackled by An Garda Síochána with appropriate strategies. Tackling public order issues is also a priority for both the Garda and the Government. This is evidenced by the resources we have committed to front line policing, which I am determined will continue to have top priority. A focus of Operation Anvil has been removing illegal weapons from circulation. To date, more than 2,200 firearms have been seized since its inception in 2005. As the House is aware, I have also made proposals for dealing with the easy availability of weapons through tackling the issue of licensed handguns.

Since 2002, when the Garda introduced Operation Encounter specifically to target anti-social behaviour, almost 520,000 public order offences have been detected. Strong provisions are now in place to combat anti-social behaviour and the abuse of alcohol, which is the root cause of much criminal and anti-social behaviour. The Criminal Justice Act 2006 enacted provisions to combat anti-social behaviour by adults and children. The Intoxicating Liquor Act 2008 gives further significant powers to the Garda to tackle binge drinking and the availability of alcohol to under age people.

I recognise that dealing with public disorder is an issue on which co-operation between the Garda and the local community is vital. That is why I am proceeding with the roll-out nationwide of the joint policing committees, following a successful pilot phase.

I attach great importance to tackling crime by juveniles in a focused and comprehensive way. The Irish Youth Justice Service was established within my Department to develop an integrated response to youth offending within the framework of the Children Act 2001. However, none of these measures can substitute for the primary moral and legal responsibility on parents where the behaviour of their children is concerned.

Deputy Charles Flanagan: The Minister began his reply by stating there was an opportunity in the House last week to debate the increase in the number of murders and the indiscriminate use of guns on our streets. Regrettably since that occasion, only one week ago, there have been three further murders in the State, bringing the total number of murders this year to 47, some 20 of which can be categorised as so-called gangland killings. What steps is the Minister taking to deal with this increased pattern of UK-style gun and gangland culture in our cities? Youths seem to have free and easy access to guns, vicious and deadly knives, and swords. Communities are being terrorised and people are living in fear and anxiety. What steps are being taken by the Minister?

The Minister has given the same reply today as last week. There does not appear to be any sense of urgency on the part of the Minister, nor does there appear to be any sense of leadership. Has the Minister noted the recent comments of the former Police Commissioner of the City of Boston, Ms Kathleen O’Toole, who currently performs an admirable role as Chief Inspector of the Garda Inspectorate? She suggested relentless policing is important to ensure gangsters, gangland criminals and youths who are prepared to kill are apprehended prior to killing. Has the Minister examined the model in Boston, whereby a crime hot spot is targeted and youths in that area are dealt with by community police prior to committing offences?

Deputy Dermot Ahern: The debate on this matter took place last week and I will not discuss the issue of Garda resources. It must be accepted that, especially on the streets of Dublin, there are significant levels of policing. Most Deputies, especially those from outside Dublin, recognise that there are substantial numbers of gardaí on the streets. At present, there are some 14,200 and this figure will rise to 14,900 by the end of next year. There is also the programme of civilianisation, involving approximately 2,500 people working in stations as civilians which enables gardaí to work on the streets instead of in the office.

I welcome the comments made by Ms Kathleen O’Toole, which I read extensively. Thankfully, the Garda Inspectorate has been a great catalyst for change within the Garda since its inception. I recognise her comments and I understand from discussions with Garda management that the force targets hot spots of anti-social where young people congregate and that it is focussed on cases where young people commit crimes on public transport.

Let us consider the significant figures related to community policing. There are some 690 dedicated community gardaí and there are youth diversion projects in place in more than 100 areas throughout the country. Let us consider the response in the probation service and remember the ASBO legislation and the substantial commitment to its implementation, which is ongoing. Substantial efforts have taken place in this area. A significant feature in tackling anti-social behaviour and juvenile crime is the work of the Garda with local communities and parents and this work is ongoing.

Deputy Charles Flanagan: I refer to one aspect of the Minister’s reply. Anti-social behaviour orders were introduced by legislation in 2006. Why are they not working? How many ASBOs have been sought and how many have been granted? The numbers are very small. Why is this measure not working in the manner claimed by the Minister’s predecessor?

Deputy Dermot Ahern: As I previously stated to the Deputy, anyone who says the legislation is not working is not considering the facts. Substantial numbers of anti-social behaviour warnings have been issued to adults. To the best of my recollection, approximately 900 such warnings have been issued since the inception of the legislation in early 2007, some 600 of which have been issued to children.

Deputy Charles Flanagan: The Minister should deal with the orders.

Deputy Dermot Ahern: I am coming to that. I understand 12 good behaviour contracts and six ABSOs have been sought by the Garda, including some for adults and some for children. It is entirely a matter for the Garda and my role is not to direct the force. The Garda must use the legislation in place. Anyone who says it is not working is misrepresenting the situation.

Deputy Charles Flanagan: I am not. How many have been issued?

Deputy Dermot Ahern: It is not merely a matter of the number of ABSOs issued. It is a question of dealing with children and young adults.

Deputy Charles Flanagan: It is not.

Deputy Dermot Ahern: Some 900 adults and 600 children are dealt with in this way.

Deputy Charles Flanagan: That is not what is contained in the Minister’s folder. If the Minister will not put the figure on the record, then I will. The answer is three ASBOs. I put that on the record. The figure is contained in the Minister’s file and he has refused to say it, because it is an embarrassment.

Deputy Dermot Ahern: Some six ASBOs have been sought and three have been granted.

Deputy Charles Flanagan: Only three have been granted.

Deputy Dermot Ahern: I have no say in the granting of the orders and the Deputy is misrepresenting the situation by suggesting otherwise.

Deputy Charles Flanagan: The Minister is responsible for the legislation.

"I have also made proposals for dealing with the easy availability of weapons through tackling the issue of liscensed handguns."

It is just not getting thru to this guy is it?????
    You have siezed 2,200 illegally held firearms,and you want to ban 1,700 legally held firearms,whose owners that your organs of state law and order vetted for being positive charcter,and you are concernd seemingly more about the law abiding persons stuff being possibly used in a crime,yet the streets are now seemingly awash with illegal stuff???
    Somone please explain the logic here???:confused::(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

More answers up:
    13. Deputy Joe Costello asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of licensed handguns in respect of each year from 2002 to date in 2008; the number of licensed handguns that were reported as stolen; the number of such stolen guns that were subsequently used in crimes; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [46740/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): The Deputy will be aware that prior to 2004 there was a de facto ban on handguns in this jurisdiction. However, I understand from the Garda Authorities that records indicate approximately 1,800 handguns have been licensed since the beginning of 2004 and that 31 have been stolen in that period. I am further advised that stolen firearms are used in the course of the commission of other criminal offences but, because not all stolen firearms or firearms used in the commission of offences are recovered, it is not possible to say precisely how many formerly legally held handguns have been used in criminal offences.

As I have stated on a number of occasions I am concerned with the situation we now find ourselves in following the growth in the licensing of hand guns over the past few years. We now have these 1,800 handguns licensed, and not as a result of a considered or deliberate public policy decision. As Mr. Justice Charleton said in a recent judgement the public is entitled to feel alarmed at the proliferation of handguns. I am not going to permit the growth of a ’handgun’ culture. It was against this background that I recently announced my proposals for reform in this area, which include a ban on issuing new licenses for handguns and a strict regime for renewal of existing licenses, with limited exceptions made in relation to Olympic sports.

The House may note the recent endorsement of these proposals by the Chief Inspector of the Garda Inspectorate who draws on her own considerable experience of policing in the United States. She has recently been quoted as saying that a lot of guns used in the commission of crime in the States are guns that have been stolen from their rightful owners. We must have controls in place to prevent the same thing happening here. My proposals will be reflected in the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill which I will be publishing early in the new year.

It is important to say that my proposals in relation to handguns will not impinge directly on the activities of the vast majority of licensed firearms holders. I recognise that those firearms holders pursue their legitimate interests in a law abiding way and am anxious to have a well regulated sector in which those interests can be successfully pursued, in co-operation with the relevant authorities. But the reality is specific issues arise from the inherent nature of firearms.

So we're up from 27 handguns stolen since 2005 to 31 since 2004 even though there was only the one pistol licenced in the meantime according to the Garda figures?
    Oh, and sure the stolen ones are used in crime, but convienently, we can't give you any precise figures, so we won't bother even to give you the figures we do have - trust us! :rolleyes:
    Why is it a concern to go from 0 to 1800 licenced handguns without a public policy decision, but isn't a concern to ban them for the first time in all of Irish history without a public policy decision, and wasn't a concern to illegally refuse to licence them (thereby technically subverting the authority of Dail Eireann) without a public policy decision (or even acknowleging the private one)?
    *sigh*
    24. Deputy Catherine Byrne asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of handguns that have been reported as stolen each year for the years 2004 to date in 2008; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [47137/08]
    43. Deputy John Deasy asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform his proposals in respect of prohibiting handguns; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [47148/08]
    54. Deputy Arthur Morgan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform his legislative and action based plans to clamp down on the growing prevalence of firearms; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [46624/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): I propose to take Questions Nos. 24, 43 and 54 together.

The Garda Commissioner informs me that 31 legally held handguns have been stolen since the start of 2004. The breakdown by year is as follows:
    Year|Handguns recorded as stolen
    2008*|4
    2007|6
    2006|11
    2005|7
    2004|3
    * Figures provided are provisional/operational and liable to change

As the Deputy is aware, for over 30 years prior to 2004, it was policy not to license handguns in this jurisdiction. Following a series of judicial decisions, that is no longer the case and approx. 1,800 handguns have been licensed since then.

Since my appointment I have expressed concern at the number of handguns which have been licensed here in recent years. I am aware that the vast majority of licensed firearms holders pursue their interests legitimately. I am conscious too that many of them deeply resent any connection that is made to the issue of licensed handguns in the context of our crime problem. But as Justice Minister I cannot avoid the reality that the overall number of weapons in circulation and the type of those weapons can add to a gun culture. Indeed the issue of handguns was highlighted by Mr Justice Peter Charleton in a judgement during the summer when he said that a reasonable person is entitled to feel alarmed at the proliferation of handguns.

My proposals for reform in this area include a ban on issuing new licences for handguns, although there will be limited exceptions in relation to Olympic sports. Those who have licences already can, when they are due for renewal, apply to have them renewed under a new licensing procedure where the safety of the community will be paramount. Together with the Garda Commissioner I will keep under annual review the outcome of the licensing procedure and, if the outcome leaves a situation which still poses an unacceptable risk to the community, will use new powers to ban particular types of firearm.

These proposals will be given legislative form in the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill which I will be publishing early in the new year.

The House may note the recent endorsement of these proposals by the Chief Inspector of the Garda Inspectorate who draws on her own considerable experience of policing in the United States. She has recently been quoted as saying that a lot of guns used in the commission of crime in the States are guns that have been stolen from their rightful owners. We must have controls in place to prevent the same thing happening here.

As to illegally held firearms - however obtained - members from all sides of the House will agree that a priority of the criminal justice system is to rid society of illegal weapons. This objective has been at the core of Operation Anvil since it was established in 2005. Under that Operation up to 30 November, 2008 over 1,200 firearms have been recovered in Dublin and almost 1,000 in the rest of the country. The Gardaí will continue to address the issue of illegal guns relentlessly.

It should be noted that a wide range of provisions to combat gun crime were introduced in the Criminal Justice Act 2006. That Act introduced mandatory minimum sentences of between five and ten years for certain firearms offences, including possession of a firearm in suspicious circumstances, possession of a firearm with criminal intent, possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life, possession of a firearm while hijacking a vehicle, use of a firearm to resist arrest and a new offence of altering a firearm.
    Pity they're not enforcing those provisions...

Also, "Figures provided are liable to change" usually doesn't mean "liable to change next time you ask". I mean, the figures in 2007 listed 10 "Other" firearms being stolen (ie. not rifles or shotguns) - but now 11 handguns have been stolen. Feck's sake, if you can't even measure the problem you're trying to solve, how can you tell if it's getting better or worse?
    33. Deputy Tom Hayes asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of juveniles who came into conflict with the law for possession of firearms and knives in each of the years 2000 to 2008; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [47164/08]

Minister of State at the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Barry Andrews): The compilation of crime statistics is now the responsibility of the Central Statistics Office (CSO). This decision was taken following the submission of a report and recommendations by an expert group on crime statistics. The Garda Síochána Act 2005 makes provision for this and the CSO has established a dedicated unit for the purpose.

I have requested the CSO to provide the statistics related to the number of juveniles who come into conflict with the law for possession of firearms and knives to the Deputy. These statistics will cover the period 2003-2006. The 2007 statistics will be available at a later date.

Statistics prior to 2003 are available in the Garda annual reports which can be found on the Garda website (www.garda.ie).

Other information on this topic is available in the Diversion Programme Reports. I would like to inform the Deputy that the 2006 and 2007 Diversion Programme reports are being laid before the Oireachtas today. Copies of these documents will also be available shortly on the Irish Youth Justice Service website (www.iyjs.ie).
    Good grief. The very motivation for banning licenced handguns was a murder carried out with an illegally held handgun by a juvenile, and not only does he not have the statistics on the severity of that problem, he's handed off the job of collating those statistics to another body alltogether. :mad:
    39. Deputy Jim O’Keeffe asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform when the indoor firearms training range at Garda Headquarters in Phoenix Park Dublin was closed down because of ricochet and other problems; the reason there has been such a delay in bringing the firearms range up to standard; and the timetable proposed for such work. [46529/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): I am advised by the Garda authorities that the firing range in Garda Headquarters was closed in December 2005 on a precautionary basis due to possible health and safety issues.

There has been considerable investment in training facilities over the past two years including the provision of two Prefabricated Modular Firearms ranges at the Garda College and in the Dublin Metropolitan region. These prefabricated ranges are newly designed products that facilitate live fire shooting for up to four persons in a carefully managed environment which adheres to all range safety requirements. In addition to these, the new Firearms Automated Training System (FATS) has also become operational. FATS does not involve the firing of live ammunition. The FATS system now represents 1/3 of the annual firearms refresher training for firearm card holders and has introduced judgemental training for the first time.

I am advised by the Garda authorities that there are sufficient resources and infrastructures in place to provide training for members of the Garda Síochána who are authorised to carry Firearms Authorisation Cards.

I am further advised by the Garda authorities that a feasibility study into the measures required to bring the firearms range located at Garda Headquarters up to the highest international standard has been carried out. This study is currently under consideration by the Garda Accommodation Programme Board in the context of the overall Garda accommodation strategy and priorities.
    I wonder how much those Garda authorities are counting on civilian ranges?
    46. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the action he proposes to take to combat the rise of criminal activity in all areas here with particular reference to tackling gun crime and the increasing use of illegally held weapons in homicides; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [47120/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): I must emphasise that I attach the highest priority to tackling organised and gun crime and bringing those involved in such activities to justice. One of the main priorities I have set for An Garda Síochána in 2009 is to target gun crime, organised crime and drug related crime through a range of measures, including the use of the Garda specialist units and targeted operations such as Operation Anvil.

Operation Anvil commenced in the Dublin Metropolitan Region in 2005 to deal with this type of serious crime and was extended nationwide in 2006. The primary focus of the Operation is the targeting of active criminals and their associates involved in serious crime by preventing and disrupting their criminal activity through extensive additional overt patrolling and static checkpoints by uniform, mobile and foot patrols, supported by armed plain clothes patrols. Under Operation Anvil up to the end of November, approximately 1,200 firearms have been recovered in Dublin and 1,000 in the rest of the country. There have also been over 7,000 arrests for serious crimes such as murder, robbery and burglary and 67,000 searches for weapons, drugs and stolen goods. In this way, the Gardaí will continue to address the issue of illegal guns relentlessly.

At a time when the public finances are under pressure, I will ensure that top priority will continue to be given to frontline policing. Funding for Operation Anvil will increase in 2009 from €20 million to €21 million to enable it to continue with targeted disruption of serious and organised criminal activity. Other key operations will be maintained through 2009, and any savings that have to be made will not be allowed to diminish frontline policing. There will also be a 20% (€1.5 million) increase next year in funding for the Criminal Assets Bureau. Overall, the Garda budget next year will be €1.589 million.

Since my appointment as Minister I have also expressed concern at the number of handguns which have been licensed here in recent years.

Some time ago, I directed my Department and An Garda Síochána to carry out an urgent and intensive review of the firearms law. Following that review, I have brought forward proposals which include no new licenses being issued for handguns, subject to limited exceptions in relation to Olympic sports. Existing licenses will not be renewed unless applicants fully meet the requirements of a radically tightened licensing procedure where the safety of the community will be paramount.

While a de facto ban on new handgun licences is already in place, my proposals will be given legislative form in the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill, which I will publish early in the New Year. That Bill will also tackle comprehensively the issue of airsoft guns, including making their possession in public a serious offence. It will also contain measures which the Garda Commissioner has suggested to me in relation to tightening up the law on possession of knives.

There are, of course, already very severe penalties for firearms offices in place under the Criminal Justice Act 2006. For example, possessing a firearm with intent to endanger life and using a firearm to resist arrest or aid escape carry a mandatory minimum sentence of ten years. Possessing a firearm while hijacking a vehicle, possessing a firearm or ammunition in suspecious circumstances, carrying a firearm with criminal intent and altering a firearm carry a mandatory minimum sentence of five years.

The Government has approved my proposals for a Criminal Justice (Covert Surveillance) Bill, and I have published the General Scheme.

The Bill will open up the possibility of intelligence gained through secret surveillance being used in evidence for the prosecution of cases of serious criminal activity. In the light of the increasing sophistication of criminals, subversives and terrorists, their use of intermediaries and the associated difficulties in obtaining direct evidence, the use of additional evidence is crucially important. The Bill will provide for a system of authorisations for covert surveillance operations which will, as a rule, involve an application to a judge for authorisation to proceed with the surveillance and where the reasons for the surveillance will be clearly set out before the court.

The Bill also provides that in cases of exceptional urgency a senior member of An Garda Síochána or the Defence Forces may approve a surveillance operation for a period of no more than 14 days.

Work is also ongoing on the preparation of the General Scheme of the Criminal Justice Bill 2009 which will contain further useful measures to combat crime.
    Given that there's a de facto ban on new handgun licences in place, we're seeing a lot of new licences being granted these days :rolleyes:
    And possession of an airsoft gun in a public place has been a serious crime since the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990, ffs. I thought Ahern was a barrister himself?

And the CJB2009? How much fecking paper do we need before we start funding Gardai to do the job better? Sheesh.

Also, noticed this during the read-through: this is on the EU Directive making the European Firearms Pass the only document you'd need to travel with your firearm in the EU or for EU shooters to come here with theirs, I've just snipped out that bit of the answer from the Minister:
    59. Deputy Thomas P. Broughan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of EU Directives for which his Department has responsibility that remain to be implemented; the directives that are overdue; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [46738/08]
    |EU Directive|Deadline|Status
    10|Directive 2008/51/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 21 May2008 amending Council Directive 91/477/EEC on control of the acquisition and possession of weapons|28/07/2010|It is expected that the Directive will be transposed by the deadline in 2010.
    66. Deputy Pat Rabbitte asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if he will confirm that Garda personnel are barred from imputing incidents directly in the Garda PULSE system and that they must instead phone the details through to an office in Castlebar County Mayo; if he has satisfied himself that this is the best use of resources having regard to the fact that members of the force were trained to do this task; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [46733/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): I have been advised by the Garda authorities that Garda members are not barred from directly inputting data onto the PULSE system. It is however a general policy that, with the exception of incidents where direct Garda input is required for operational reasons, incidents should be phoned into and created on PULSE by personnel in the Garda Information Service Centre (GISC).

The GISC provides for Gardaí, who would otherwise have to return to their Stations to input data onto the PULSE system, to log the information with their civilian colleagues in the GISC, while remaining free to continue their operational duties. This major initiative has freed up significant amounts of Garda time for frontline policing. Quality control and review of data is also managed by dedicated civilian staff at the GISC, thereby relieving Sergeants of this administrative task and allowing them to be deployed for more operational duties.

PULSE, the main repository of incident information available to the Force, is more widely available than ever in over 340 locations nationwide and continues to be an invaluable tool used extensively by Gardaí in the performance of their duties. The establishment of the GISC in Castlebar has been one of the most successful efficiency measures in the history of the Garda Síochána. It is an overwhelmingly civilianised operation which has vastly improved the effectiveness and accuracy of the PULSE system.
    Does this mean that our PULSE records for our licences are done by the GISC I wonder??

71. Deputy Liz McManus asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of occasions in 2007 and to date in 2008 in which grenades, bombs or improvised explosive devices have been used; the number of occasions in each year when the Gardaí called on the assistance of the Army Ordinance Unit to deal with such devices; the number of prosecutions initiated as a result of the discovery or such devices; his views on the increased use of such devices by criminal elements; the steps being taken to curb the use of such devices, particularly having regard to the danger they pose the public; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [46753/08]

241. Deputy Bernard J. Durkan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the action he has taken or proposes to take to identify the strategy behind the increase in the number of explosive devices which have had to be disarmed in recent times; the number of such viable devices rendered harmless in the past 12 months; if he anticipates increased criminal activity with such weaponry playing a major role; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [47635/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): I propose to take Questions Nos. 71 and 241 together.

I am informed by the Garda authorities that in 2008 (up to 1 December) there were 98 incidents involving grenades or pipe-bombs or other improvised explosive devices in the Dublin Metropolitan Region. A Defence Forces Explosive Ordnance Device team attended at 73 of these. In 2007 there were 24 such incidents and an Explosive Ordnance Device team attended at 17 of these.

The House will appreciate that it would not be helpful for me to comment on the specific details of Garda operations in this regard. However, investigations are carried out by the Garda Síochána into all such incidents. The Garda Síochána is firmly focused on disrupting such activities detecting the criminal elements involved and bringing them before the courts.

Someone (PJ Hunter I think) was asking about this in another thread.
    243. Deputy Bernard J. Durkanasked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if an estimate has been undertaken to identify the number of weapons available for gangland killings; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [47637/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): As the Deputy will appreciate, given the covert nature of the criminal activity referred to in his Parliamentary Question it is not possible to provide an accurate estimate of the number of firearms available to those involved in criminal activity. An Garda Síochána will continue to tackle the issue of illegal guns, particularly through Operation Anvil under which about 2,200 guns have been recovered. The Deputy will also be aware that I have announced proposals in relation to the banning of licensing of hand guns.

Nice to know they're granting handgun licences where the "good reason" is gangland killings...
    :rolleyes:
    244. Deputy Bernard J. Durkanasked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the action he proposes to take against persons carrying illegally held handguns having particular regard to his concern at the number of legally held and registered handguns; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [47638/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): A wide range of provisions to combat gun crime were introduced in the Criminal Justice Act 2006. That Act introduced mandatory minimum sentences of between five and ten years for certain firearms offences, including possession of a firearm in suspicious circumstances, possession of a firearm with criminal intent, possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life, possession of a firearm while hijacking a vehicle, use of a firearm to resist arrest and a new offence of altering a firearm.

Since my appointment I have expressed concern at the number of handguns which have been licensed here in recent years. I am aware that the vast majority of licensed firearms holders pursue their interests legitimately. I am conscious too that many of them deeply resent any connection that is made to the issue of licensed handguns in the context of our crime problem. But as Justice Minister I cannot avoid the reality that the overall number of weapons in circulation and the type of those weapons can add to a gun culture. Indeed the issue of handguns was highlighted by Mr Justice Peter Charleton in a judgement during the summer when he said that a reasonable person is entitled to feel alarmed at the proliferation of handguns.

As the Deputy is no doubt aware, my proposals for reform in this area include a ban on issuing new licenses for handguns, although there will be limited exceptions in relation to Olympic sports. Those who have licenses already can, when they are due for renewal, apply to have them renewed under a new licensing procedure where the safety of the community will be paramount. Together with the Garda Commissioner I will keep under annual review the outcome of the licensing procedure and, if the outcome leaves a situation which still poses an unacceptable risk to the community, I will use new powers to ban particular types of firearm. My proposals will be given legislative form in the Criminal justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill, which I will bring before the House early in the new year.

It is important to stress that these proposals will not impinge on the vast majority of licensed firearms holders. While any inconvenience caused to those who will be affected by the proposals is, of course, regretted I am satisfied that my proposals are in the public interest.

And finally, the sport-related PQ! :D
    257. Deputy Mary Upton asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism his views on whether the decision to cut funding to the Irish Sports Council and to sport in general despite the fact that obesity levels here are quickly rising was a short term money saving exercise which will have a significant impact on the nation’s health; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [47580/08]

Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism (Deputy Martin Cullen): The Deputy will be aware that in addressing the public financial challenges all areas of expenditure have been examined and the budget of the ISC has been impacted following this process. Nevertheless the huge social and economic benefits of sport are acknowledged by this Government and are reflected in the unprecedented level of Government funding for sport over the last number of years. Since 2000 more than €307m has been allocated to the Irish Sports Council (ISC). The allocation in 2009 is over €53m, an increase of more than 300% on the 2000 funding level of €13m. While there is a reduction on the 2008 allocation, I am confident that the 2009 allocation will be sufficient to support the work of the ISC in maintaining existing programmes and building on recent significant progress in all areas.

I understand that my colleague, the Minister for State with responsibility for Health Promotion, Ms Mary Wallace TD has made it one of her key priorities to address the issue of overweight and obesity.

Pity it's such a cop-out as well (look, I know we're shafting you now, but didn't we did great in the past when we had loads of dosh? Oh, by the way, it's all her fault! <ducks>).

Anyone notice the stuck record of the Minister in all his statements???
    Charlton decision,ban handguns,excepting olympic sports,concern at the rise of ligit owned handguns,blah,blah,blah. Nothing new in any statement!

Now with the new tune of the Chief inspector of the Gardai drawing on her experiance in the USA.
    Well,lets look at the Cheif here shall we??

She was cheif of police in Chicago.A notoriously anti gun ownership city which has a firearms crime rate on par with most East coast cities in the USA.[IOW horrible]Despite gun bans ,amnesties etc.Not to mind now illegal as well since the SCOTUS ruling on the 2nd amendment this year.

She has admitted herself that she is anti gun...So hardly a fair and impartial opinion on this matter,and mostly the opinion expressed by most Top Brass in these cities.
    Because [1] it sounds good with the mayors,pressure groups,and anti gun congress people up from Washington DC to discuss city funding etc.
    Funnily enough,you rarely if ever hear these anti gun sentiments expressed by the troops,IOW the men on the beat.

Since the Minister is so fond of saying he doesn't want a USA handgun culture[Whatever the Hell that is!].Would he please quit comparing mice to dinosaurs.We are NOT in the USA as we are so often reminded over here.So comparing,or using US policies is not going to work.

Also, "Figures provided are liable to change" usually doesn't mean "liable to change next time you ask". I mean, the figures in 2007 listed 10 "Other" firearms being stolen (ie. not rifles or shotguns) - but now 11 handguns have been stolen. Feck's sake, if you can't even measure the problem you're trying to solve, how can you tell if it's getting better or worse?
    It might be an idea to put all these statistics together in one place for comparison and also to send to some helpful TD to embarrass the Minister with ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

I can:) felines shoved up front line, skirt & lipstick works wonders.
    Deputy tom cats curl up at Dail watering hole waiting for Santa.

Chief inspector of the Gardai drawing on her experiance in the USA.
    Latest feline put to work.

Lady, Millions & Millions of Yanks keep Pistols.... how many kept in SAFES
    I wonder. Although " with Conditions attached" what ever this meant?

Striking how the wet towel of US gun law is been applied to soften up
    the lack of debate!

Meanwhile, Up In sunny northern Ireland, aye, the Dail chamber resists all comparisons prefering to look west! for feck sake even the rest of the
    UK shoots pistol be it longer barrel / Percussion revolver BP.

Michael Mac Dowell. Creator of FCP, restricted list, great consulter. A star greatly missed.:(

PJ Hunter wrote: »
    Michael Mac Dowell. Creator of FCP, restricted list, great consulter. A star greatly missed.:(
    There's a sentiment I never thought I'd see expressed!
    Mind you, it's still wrong, he drafted the CJB2004 don't forget...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Ok its great to see all these questions been asked. But is it leading up to anything? Or is it just questions been asked because TDs are been asked to ask them? Do we have any TDs who are with us and going to fight against the ban? Slap the minister with some real facts and show him up as twisting the facts.

Why has none asked for a breakdown of the NOW 31 pistols stolen?
    Why has none asked what areas these pistols were stolen in?
    Why has none asked why the minister thinks banning pistols will somehow stop the flow of illegal firearms into state?

Where are our governing bodies in all this?

And on the explosives and grenades issue! I have seen pics of some of these and just have to say. Its a poor attempt at making a pipe bomb. (not that ive ever tried it) But a first year chemistry student could put together something alot better then what Gardi are claiming to be ex IRA bomb makers selling devices to the criminals.

• Advertisement

chem wrote: »
    Ok its great to see all these questions been asked. But is it leading up to anything? Or is it just questions been asked because TDs are been asked to ask them? Do we have any TDs who are with us and going to fight against the ban? Slap the minister with some real facts and show him up as twisting the facts.
    It's like looking for a needle in a haystack Chem. You have to ask the right question first. And quite frankly I find that these questions do nothing except give the Minister the opportunity to spout his 'four legs good, two legs bad' mantra about licensed firearms.
    Why has none asked for a breakdown of the NOW 31 pistols stolen?
    I think they have, and i think they've been fobbed off with 'we're looking into it and will get back to you' answers.
    Why has none asked what areas these pistols were stolen in?
    Would there be a reason for such a question? I only ask because I can't think of one off the top of my head.
    Why has none asked why the minister thinks banning pistols will somehow stop the flow of illegal firearms into state?
    because it won't and the Minister will just drone on about the terrible scourge firearms are and how the Gardai are doing everything and "four legs bad, ...."
    Where are our governing bodies in all this?
    Not in the Dail if that's what you mean. But seriously, what can you do with a Minister that ignores the body his predecessor set up, his civil servants and all the evidence that's been thrown at him for the last three months?

I know what I'm doing. I'm waiting in the long grass for the next elections: local, european or whatever and heaven help any government party hack that turns up on my doorstep. It won't stop at me either, anyone who I can collar long enough is getting the message to deliver to their candidates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Red Renard

There's a sentiment I never thought I'd see expressed!
    Mind you, it's still wrong, he drafted the CJB2004 don't forget...

You would imagine if a hard nosed politician like Mac Dowell was using
    the restricted list to tighten up on pistols, was willing to exchange ideas
    across the table of the FCP, what has caused this current minister to
    ditch this approach and go it alone. It's not a very good way to build
    confidence with the shooting community and its representatives. Some
    might even call it insulting. Happy Christmas.

Missed these ones from Dec.3:
    180. Deputy Charles Flanagan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform if, with reference to SI 848 of 2007, he will clarify if section 38 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006 is fully operational; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [44243/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): Statutory Instrument 848 of 2007 commenced section 38 of the Criminal Justice Act 2006 with effect from 1 January 2008. Since that date, the registration of firearms dealers continues, from the date of registration or renewal, for three years unless revoked. Work is at an advanced stage on the preparation of regulations in relation to minimum standards for the premises of firearms dealers.
    181. Deputy Charles Flanagan asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of times a group (details supplied) established by his Department, has met; the number of times he has been briefed on the progress of the group; when it is envisaged that the group will produce a report; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [44244/08]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): The Firearms Consultative Panel has met six times since it was established. In addition, sub groups of the Panel have met on nine occasions. My Department is represented on the Panel and, accordingly, I am kept informed, as appropriate, in relation to its work. The Panel is a consultative body and, as such, it is not envisaged that it will be producing a report.

You'd expect a few PQs to have built up over the xmas break...
    *616. To ask the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of hand
    guns stolen in 2007 and 2008; the number stolen from the gardaı´ or the military; the
    number stolen from licenced civilians; the number which were real firearms capable of
    firing real ammunition; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Joe Costello.
    [1098/09]

...and, it turns out, you'd be wrong. One PQ. And that one not written from the point of view of believing the Minister. I guess the handgun "problem" isn't so serious after all.

Mind you, it'd be nice if we got a few more asked in that kind of vein...

Interesting answer this...
    616. Deputy Joe Costello asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number of hand guns stolen in 2007 and 2008; the number stolen from the gardaí or the military; the number stolen from licensed civilians; the number which were real firearms capable of firing real ammunition; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [1098/09]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): The information requested is being compiled and will be forwarded to the Deputy as soon as possible.
    If the information requested isn't already compiled after it's been asked for twice in the last six months, what the heck is going on?

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Not a Parliamentary Question I know, but a quote from a meeting of the Joint Committee on Justice, Equality, Defence and Women's Rights on the 27th of January 2009.

When asked a question about PULSE, the Garda Commissioner included the following statement:
    We hope the release of PULSE 5 will take place in March or April 2009 and at any rate before the summer. It will deal with missing persons, sex offenders, fixed charge public order processes for people who engage in public disorder, firearms registration and licensing.

Hopefully that's a sign that the 3 year licensing will be ready to go next time the renewals come round!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Interesting answer this...

If the information requested isn't already compiled after it's been asked for twice in the last six months, what the heck is going on?

But the information for 2008 couldn't have been asked for six months ago? Am I missing something?

The 2007 information would be, as would all the 2008 information up to very recently (in the past such information would be given with a note saying it was the information up to a set date).

Some PQs from the DoAST rather than the DoJ, but equally walloping to our sport. From Jan 28:
    93. Deputy Mary Upton asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism the area in which he expects to make cuts in the budget for his Department for 2009 in response to the need to rein in Exchequer spending; the cuts to be introduced in his Department; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [2479/09]

Deputy Martin Cullen: As Deputies will be aware there has been a serious deterioration in the economic and budgetary situation since the budget for 2009 was presented by my colleague, the Minister for Finance. The much more challenging economic situation has significant implications for the evolution of the public finances. The Government is working on a five-year plan to restore balance with an overriding target of eliminating the current budget deficit by 2013. This will mean reductions in the budgets of Departments and I am prepared to make my contribution as part of the effort to the success of this plan.

I am responsible for the arts, sport and tourism Vote, which has an allocation of €563 million in 2009. This comprises Vote 35, Department of Arts, Sport and Tourism, and Vote 33, National Gallery of Ireland.

Deputies will be aware that the Government has agreed that 2009 expenditure savings of up to €2 billion should be identified and incorporated into the Revised Estimates. This matter is the subject of Cabinet discussions at present. I will inform the House of the outcome of these deliberations, as they apply to my Department’s 2009 allocation, in due course.

Deputy Mary Upton: I thank the Minister for his reply. Unfortunately, the allocation for arts, sport and tourism was reduced by 22% in the last budget and were any further cuts to be made, I would be concerned as to whether any budget would remain. The cut of 22% means the Department already has taken a major hit and I believe its allocation has fallen by €151 million. In the light of such an enormous deficit, what impact would it have were such cuts to proceed apace? The local authorities swimming pool programme already has been lost and nothing has happened since 2000. In spite of the Minister’s remarks to Deputy Mitchell on tourism, clearly problems exist there. It is a huge industry that must be encouraged and developed and consequently, serious concerns arise in respect of further cuts to the budget.

Deputy Martin Cullen: Again, the Deputy has presented a figure that is correct but has so done in a distorted manner. Everyone knows that the cost of the Lansdowne Road redevelopment was removed from the budget allocation for 2009, as it was not going to be a repetitive capital cost, and one should be realistic. Moreover, while the Deputy is correct to suggest there have been cuts in some other areas, they have been marginal. The only reduction in the tourism area is being made in respect of administrative costs and the Government and I have been roundly complimented by the tourism industry on maintaining fully the tourism budget. The Deputy is correct to state the tourism industry is one of Ireland’s major economic industries. It employs more than 320,000 people and contributes up to €6 billion in revenue to the State at various levels. Therefore, I am acutely aware of the challenges that arise.

The funding increases in recent years to both the Irish Sports Council and the Arts Council have been phenomenal and both organisations accept that. If some retrenchment is taking place at present, so be it. However, we still are up at the record figures that were delivered to both organisations in 2006. While I do not deny that the environment is challenging, more can be achieved for less given the operation of deflation at present. As growth no longer is taking place, much more value can be achieved for the money that is being spent, particularly in respect of marketing budgets and across the spectrum.

Deputy Mary Upton: My concern is this Department will become the easy target for many of the cuts. While tourism in particular has been mentioned, clearly sport also has a huge input in respect of both job creation and provision and purely at a societal level. My concern is that there has been no movement in respect of initiatives such as the swimming pool programme. I know of areas in my constituency that are crying out for small amounts of support. For instance, although Lourdes Celtic, which is based in Sundrive Park, Dublin 12, has been screaming out for a changing room, no commitment has been given for that small project. My concern is that many other similar small projects will go by the board.

Deputy Martin Cullen: The swimming pool programme has been rolling out at a fast pace right up to the present week, in which a project in Kilkenny will be opened. A total of 55 swimming pools have been approved under the programme, most of which have been built. While I do not have the precise figures to hand, I understand that approximately 12 remain that either are in construction or are finalising planning. The programme is by no means stopped although the Deputy is correct to state that I have not opened another round at present. This is true as I do not have the resources at present to so do. Nevertheless, it is wrong to state that nothing is happening. This programme has been hugely successful and I will continue with that.

On the sports capital side, approximately €800 million has gone into small clubs nationwide in recent years, including sports such as rugby, soccer, Gaelic football, boxing and others, and rightly so. This programme has been highly successful and even last year, I maintained a €50 million package. A programme was announced and delivered on and successful applicants were duly informed. In the past ten years, this programme has had a major impact on local areas. Clearly, as Minister with responsibility for sport, I would like to do more and would like to have more money to spend. At present, however, that simply is not possible. Equally however, I would like to complete the programmes for which I have the resources in place, such as the swimming pool programme, over the next year or two.
    96. Deputy John O’Mahony asked the Minister for Arts, Sport and Tourism the amount of funding available in 2009 for the sports capital programme under national lottery funding; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [2774/09]

Deputy Martin Cullen: Under the sports capital programme, which is administered by my Department, funding is allocated towards the provision of sports facilities at national, regional and local levels. It is the primary vehicle for promoting the development of sports and recreational facilities in Ireland. The programme has transformed the sporting landscape of Ireland with improved facilities in virtually every village, town and city. The facilities funded range from new equipment for the smallest clubs, to regional multi-sport centres and national centres of sporting excellence.

It has operated on an annual basis and is part funded from national lottery funds. Over 7,400 projects providing a range of essential sports facilities have benefited from sports capital funding since 1998 bringing the total allocation in that time to over €725 million. In 2008 over €50 million was allocated towards 685 separate sports facility and equipment projects. These grants continue to play a pivotal role in ensuring the provision of modern high-quality facilities around Ireland that attract more people to participate in sporting activities.

In the 2009 Estimates, €56 million has been provided in my Department’s vote to cover payments to be made from the C1 subhead out of which grants are paid for the provision of sports and recreation facilities.

Deputy John O’Mahony: Has that €56 million been allocated for new applications in 2009?

Deputy Martin Cullen: No.

Deputy John O’Mahony: This is what I really want to know. Is there any funding for sports capital grant applications during 2009?

Deputy Martin Cullen: Not at this stage, no.

Deputy John O’Mahony: The Minister mentioned in answer to an earlier question that one can do more for less money. I agree that the €725 million allocated up and down the country has been a wonderful encouragement and help to sporting organisations to provide facilities for young people.

While I accept we are all in a tight budgetary situation, there should be some allocation for 2009. Does the Minister agree there is evidence in other countries going through downturns that it is a help to increase funding in such circumstances because the part played by sport helps lift the gloom? While I could accept that there would be a reduction in funding, to think there is no funding at all in 2009 for these sports organisations up and down the country is nothing short of a disgrace.

Deputy Martin Cullen: It will be an interesting exercise to see how much of the €56 million that I have allocated will be drawn down this year. As the Deputy will be aware, every €1 the State gives triggers approximately €2 locally. All clubs have loans secured by the banks involved in their applications. There is evidence of clubs having difficulties in being able to underwrite their commitments and I am interested to see what exactly will come in this year. Time will tell on that one.

I agree that the more we can put capital projects, especially small ones, into smaller areas around the country, the more beneficial the effect. There is no question about that.

However, it is time to pause and look strategically at the programme. To be quite honest about it, there have been ten years of constant non-stop investment in facilities all over the country. A more strategic approach is needed to ensure there is a good balance of facilities in all of the regions around the country, and I am engaged in that process at present.

Deputy John O’Mahony: I assure the Minister that it has been a successful and wonderful scheme and there is no need to slow it down. He stated that some clubs and organisations will not be able to draw down the money because of whatever difficulties they may have. If there is a saving in this regard, will the Minister consider taking new applications? If no funding for 2009 will be available, will the Minister assure the House that funding will be restored in 2010?

Deputy Martin Cullen: When I answered the question, I stated that I do not have any funding for 2009 at the moment. Obviously, I am anxious to facilitate investment in as many parts of the country as I can, particularly in sports facilities, but I also see the economic benefit for small areas where better value for money may currently be achieved.

The number of approved projects is substantial, some 635 last year and a further number of projects that have not yet drawn down their funding. They are awaiting their final invoices so that they may draw down funding. I will wait to determine how the situation evolves. If I have given the impression that many of the projects are in serious difficulty, I want to correct myself. However, it is more difficult to put localised funding together than in previous years. I do not want to place the projects under extra stress to deliver in their areas.

Deputy John O’Mahony: What about 2010?

Deputy Martin Cullen: Of course I want to do the sports capital programme.

• Advertisement

From Feb 25:
    106. Deputy Brian O’Shea asked the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform the number in respect of each year from 2002 to date in 2009 of licensed handguns; the number of licensed handguns that were reported as stolen; the number of such stolen guns that were subsequently used in crimes; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [7597/09]

Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Deputy Dermot Ahern): The Deputy will be aware that prior to 2004 there was a de factor ban on handguns in this jurisdiction. However, I understand from the Garda Authorities that records indicate approximately 1,800 handguns have been licensed since the beginning of 2004. The most recent figures on stolen firearms were received on 16 December 2008 and indicate that 31 handguns were recorded as stolen since 2004. I am further advised that stolen firearms are used in the course of the commission of other criminal offences but, because not all stolen firearms or firearms used in the commission of offences are recovered, it is not possible to say precisely how many formerly legally held handguns have been used in criminal offences.

As I have stated on a number of occasions I am concerned with the situation we now find ourselves in following the growth in the licensing of hand guns over the past few years. We now have these 1,800 handguns licensed, and not as a result of a considered or deliberate public policy decision. As Mr. Justice Charleton said in a recent judgement the public is entitled to feel alarmed at the proliferation of handguns. I am not going to permit the growth of a ’handgun’ culture. It was against this background that I announced my proposals for reform in this area, which include a ban on issuing new licenses for handguns and a strict regime for renewal of existing licenses, with limited exceptions made in relation to Olympic sports.

The House may note the endorsement of these proposals by the Chief Inspector of the Garda Inspectorate who draws on her own considerable experience of policing in the United States. She has recently been quoted as saying that a lot of guns used in the commission of crime in the States are guns that have been stolen from their rightful owners. We must have controls in place to prevent the same thing happening here. My proposals will be reflected in the Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Bill which I will be publishing very shortly.

It is important to say that my proposals in relation to handguns will not impinge directly on the activities of the vast majority of licensed firearms holders. I recognise that those firearms holders pursue their legitimate interests in a law abiding way and am anxious to have a well regulated sector in which those interests can be successfully pursued, in co-operation with the relevant authorities. But the reality is specific issues arise from the inherent nature of firearms.

Advertisement